• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

WarRock

Info from Famitsu leak:
https://twitter.com/GREATFERNMAN/status/821397472467501056

DLC upgrade is anticipated to be 2000 jpy (less than $20 usd).

New counter move, Azami. Can be used even while blocking or in the air.
All her guard cancels have been replaced with this (she has no other guard cancels).
No seals? )=

It seems that Ramlethal has a new move (could be plural as well).
Potemkin's crouching hurtbox was lowered (it's not just a hurtbox change, he is also visually lower than before).
Axl's Haitaka stance was reworked with a change in its concept. It was changed because even though Axl is a long ranged character, at longer ranges an opponent with a projectile had the advantage.
Juicy.

Answer might play a bit like Bang in setting up seals and whatnot. .

Answer:
He specializes in high speed offense through the setting of business cards and scrolls.
After setting a scroll in the air, he can do followup specials after holding on to it.
After throwing a business card on the ground like a shuriken, he can warp to the cards location or attack from the card with a clone.

NUOOOOOOOOO

Rutger

Banned
NUOOOOOOOOO

If we are going to make BB comparisons, he also seems to have a bit of Hibiki going on with clones.

The wording of that make it sound like he can interact with the scrolls more like with Chipp's wall cling, with it saying he can hold onto it and has follow up specials. But this is a translation of a leak, so we'll see I guess.

Though the most important thing about Answer is if his charged Blitz is also the Fusion Dance, pleast give me this, Arcsys.

Just got this from Amazon last night for $20. I wanted a bit of a break from my scrubby SFV toiling and have heard good things.

I don't have a ton of experience with fighting games outside of Street Fighter, and this game feels kind of nuts. I'm not sure how to approach it. What's a good character to try to learn first? Coming from SF and knowing basics of (in order of preference) Balrog, Guile, Chun and Ryu. Charge moves and buffering came most naturally to me but I'm comfortable with DPs and circular motions too.

They steer me in the direction of Sol Badguy with the tutorial - should I just stick with him? His moveset seems relatively straightforward but other characters seem more visually/stylistically appealing.

Or should I just pick the one that I think looks the coolest? Anyone to avoid because they are too unique and/or gimmicky for a new player trying to learn the game?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this from Amazon last night for $20. I wanted a bit of a break from my scrubby SFV toiling and have heard good things.

I don't have a ton of experience with fighting games outside of Street Fighter, and this game feels kind of nuts. I'm not sure how to approach it. What's a good character to try to learn first? Coming from SF and knowing basics of (in order of preference) Balrog, Guile, Chun and Ryu. Charge moves and buffering came most naturally to me but I'm comfortable with DPs and circular motions too.

They steer me in the direction of Sol Badguy with the tutorial - should I just stick with him? His moveset seems relatively straightforward but other characters seem more visually/stylistically appealing.

Or should I just pick the one that I think looks the coolest? Anyone to avoid because they are too unique and/or gimmicky for a new player trying to learn the game?

Some characters are definitely much harder than others, but honestly play who appeals to you- though if you like charge characters maybe try Leo? He's supposed to be relatively simple to start with, and he's got obvious boom/flash kick analogues.

Slaythe

Obviously picking a character you like for his style or looks will get you more motivated.

The game has several beginner friendly characters that obviously have a lot of depth but that shouldn't lose you completely.

I'd suggest picking one of these :

Sol, Ky, Leo, Jam, Chipp, Raven, and maybe Sin.

Completely avoid and run away from :

Johnny, Dizzy, Bedman, Milia, Zato, I-no.

Some characters are definitely much harder than others, but honestly play who appeals to you- though if you like charge characters maybe try Leo? He's supposed to be relatively simple to start with, and he's got obvious boom/flash kick analogues.

Obviously picking a character you like for his style or looks will get you more motivated.

The game has several beginner friendly characters that obviously have a lot of depth but that shouldn't lose you completely.

I'd suggest picking one of these :

Sol, Ky, Leo, Jam, Chipp, Raven, and maybe Sin.

Completely avoid and run away from :

Johnny, Dizzy, Bedman, Milia, Zato, I-no.

Cool, thanks. If Leo is a charge character and you both suggested him maybe I'll start there. He's pretty cool looking too so that helps!

Cool, thanks. If Leo is a charge character and you both suggested him maybe I'll start there. He's pretty cool looking too so that helps!

May is another fun charge character, who isn't too difficult to play. Although she's a lot goofier than most of the other characters, so if you're looking for someone cool like Leo she might not be your cup of tea. But I guess a little girl smacking people around the head with a giant anchor is pretty damn cool.

ScOULaris

Alright, Revelator peeps. Be honest. How dead is the online on PS4 these days?

I'm a huge GG fan, but after watching Xrd's online community die out in a matter of weeks after launch I feel like I can't justify picking up Revelator at full price.

I feel like this might also be the case for I-No, she barely got any changes in the last patch so they probably think she's ok where she is. :(

I'm not even sure what they could do with her offhand. At least she's not as difficult to use as in XX....

At least we got CH Dives to bounce on counter hit in 1.03? :(

King Kye

Banned
Uhh... Revelator's community's quite strong.

And I don't know what you're talking about in regards to SIGN. The community was strong for that game all the way up until Revelator's release. It's a small but dedicated base.

You just have to be go to the right regions (NE on East Coast) or be willing to matchmake via Discord.

ScOULaris

Uhh... Revelator's community's quite strong.

And I don't know what you're talking about in regards to SIGN. The community was strong for that game all the way up until Revelator's release.

About three weeks after Xrd's launch on PS4 it was always a ghost town whenever I'd hop online. Did it pick up steam later on or something?

King Kye

Banned
About three weeks after Xrd's launch on PS4 it was always a ghost town whenever I'd hop online. Did it pick up steam later on or something?

Were you simply using Ranking/Player search? Maybe that's why. The MM is bad, but the online community has always been consistently present. It just coalesces into 2 or 3 specific NA regions.

Slaythe

Revelator doesn't require you to be in specific lobbies to find people.

Hop in a ghost town then look for "player matches".

If there's none in your region just host it and somebody should join rapidly.

There's always a lot of people playing from all regions so far.

Us Eu and Jp are pretty strong. Australia is death.

The Rank matches are still busted so don't bother.

Also you can find the game discounted online.

Sayad

I'm a huge GG fan, but after watching Xrd's online community die out in a matter of weeks after launch I feel like I can't justify picking up Revelator at full price.
Ranked is dead, was never alive really. Lobbies are alive and well but you'd need to know where to look for lobbies in your area, look for near by communities outside the game. A lot of people are still playing, even over here(middle east), game is as active now as it was during SIGN's release, people just share lobbies passwords through whatsapp or discord instead of making open lobbies and hoping that the random people who join have good connection.

Why is ranked "busted" and dead? If you aren't playing up a ladder is the matchmaking still OK? Or am I as a total noob going to get constantly paired up with higher tier players?

Pompadour

Why is ranked "busted" and dead? If you aren't playing up a ladder is the matchmaking still OK? Or am I as a total noob going to get constantly paired up with higher tier players?

The community isn't huge and 90% of people play in lobbies so trying to find a Ranked Match takes forever (and since there's barely anyone playing Ranked you're more likely to get matched up with someone with an abysmal connection).

Pejo

I just saw the info on Baiken and Answer. I'm actually pretty excited to try Answer. He looks like a traditional ninja, as far as moveset. Izuna drop is in there for sure.

Slaythe

Just join player matches. There's an ingame chat so you can always say you're new and find mentors etc...

Ranked never worked because the matchmaking was broken (would match you with awful connections) and everybody gave up on it.

If you were a huge GG fan, you'd pick up Rev regardless of how the online community was doing.

ScOULaris

If you were a huge GG fan, you'd pick up Rev regardless of how the online community was doing.

Not really. I've purchased countless iterations of GG games over the years, but I simply can't justify purchasing a fighting game with little to no online activity these days. There are too many other games vying for my time, and that includes a number of other fighting games with active online communities. If I pay full price for a fighting game in 2017 I'd better be able to hop online and find matches easily at any time of day, preferably in some kind of ranked matchmaking mode.

The days of me enjoying fighting games for their singleplayer content are long gone, and it's not like there's a local GG community near me.

No need to be like that.

But yeah you can find matches consistently in Xrd. Sign and Revelator. Just use discord. There's new player lobbies and weekly tournaments coordinated through there pretty consistently throughout the games lifespan.

I know it's less convenient than finding randoms in ranked on SFV, but the players are out there.

If you want an invite to the channel or links to character specific channels just PM me.

Sayad

Wouldn't pay more than $20 for a fighting game with no one to play with, and that's assuming it has tons of content.

Slaythe

I don't know.

I bought MKX with no intention to play online since it had région lock.

But GG isn't dead nor pricey so that's a no brained. :)

Oh? Are you fishing for a Rev 2 disc copy to be less than the current $20 Amazon price + the expected $20 DLC expansion price?

I missed it but did they announce the price for Rev 2? If I can get Rev + dlc which cost less than Rev 2, I would go with that option instead.

Slaythe

I missed it but did they announce the price for Rev 2? If I can get Rev + dlc which cost less than Rev 2, I would go with that option instead.

There's the DLC characters you're not getting.

Therefore it will be more expensive to get the game + update now than to just get Rev2.

Which should be around 40 bucks.

ScOULaris

You're in luck! Amazon is selling Revelator for $19.99.
Well, damn. I can't pass that up. Just ordered it for PS4.

I'd better be able to find matches online. ;)

Edit: Did I make a mistake by going with the PS4 version? Looking at Twitch streams it seems like everyone is playing on PC.

Slaythe

Well, damn. I can't pass that up. Just ordered it for PS4.

I'd better be able to find matches online. ;)

Edit: Did I make a mistake by going with the PS4 version? Looking at Twitch streams it seems like everyone is playing on PC.

Lol.

The ps4 version has a lot more players.

But the PC version released not too long ago so it's more recent.

Also I guess it's easier for people that don't have capture cards to stream PC, for those who don't want to use their ps4 streaming.

There are a few streamers that stream this game frequently on ps4.

But yeah you won't have problem finding rooms.

Essay

There's the DLC characters you're not getting.

Therefore it will be more expensive to get the game + update now than to just get Rev2.

Which should be around 40 bucks.

I don't think this is a safe bet. The DLC was officially announced at 2000 yen (<$20 USD), and the game is available for $20 right now, temporarily through Amazon. We can probably agree that a full disc release is at least $40, but there is always a chance of it being more. When jumping on it now can also get you familiar with the game earlier, and potentially give you access to a pool of more new players early on to learn with (or, potentially the same pool of new players to play with when the DLC drops if you just wait and play around with the solo content until then), what's the disadvantage of jumping on it now?

Top Bottom