• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

mooncakes

Stream like for Arc System Works Fighting Game Award Tournament

Schedule:
streamschedule.jpg

Bracket:
guiltygearbracket.jpg

Revelator is on sale for $19.99 for ps4, should I get it? Or will there be another iteration?

There's bound to be another installment, but it'll probably only hit consoles late in the year/next year more likely.

I'd say go for it, there's enough content to justify the cost, and the game is really fun. The biggest draw to the next game will be the conclusion to the story, and whatever new characters they add, which will probably include some characters from Revelator from past games who showed up in the story but weren't playable.

Slaythe

It would be time to get a new OP title right ?

REV2 is a good surprise, I was told that Xrd3 wouldn't happen for a while, so revamping REV and adding characters is a good way to stall time. Especially as the first DLC upgrade.

Now if only Bridget fucking made it in as DLC ...

Rutger

Banned
I feel like I might be the only person who really wanted to see Answer become playable, haha. We can't really tell how he plays from this, but he has some cool things going on. I really want to know what's going on with that air combo, rekkas?, or maybe something else.

Baiken is Baiken. She's probably the most requested returning character, so that's good. I played her a little back in AC, but didn't bother to learn her in +R, so I'm looking forward to playing her again.

I still want to see Bridget and ABA, but this update is looking good. Maybe it will help cut down the number of "I would buy this but Arcsys is going to replace it" posts.
It won't.

mooncakes

A ninja with a bluetooth that throws business cards, instant main. I always love the ninjas type of characters and will always play them in any fighting games.

Slaythe

Bridget was in fact more requested than Baiken.

It was Dizzy, Bridget, and Baiken in top 3.

Bridget is also the only character that was designed, that didn't make it anywhere in the story, with 0 hint of roster return.

Bothersome.

Also no Robo Ky is strange. Maybe a good chance for DLC characters down the line... Pls.

Rutger

Banned
Bridget was in fact more requested than Baiken.

Well, yeah, haha. I guess I was thinking most requested that people actually play. Bridget is popular, but that doesn't really extend to people playing him in arcades as far as I know, so Baiken is probably a better bet to get people playing in arcades more. Don't get me wrong though, I want to play Bridget, and I want to see Ruu playing Bridget again.

I would be surprised if it's just these two in Rev 2 honestly. Arcsys may be doing something different with how they are releasing it, but it still feels like their other upgrades to me. Rev started with Johnny and Jack-O', then later added Jam, I expect at least something like that(I don't know if we will see the console character boost though). But who knows.

Pompadour

Well, yeah, haha. I guess I was thinking most requested that people actually play. Bridget is popular, but that doesn't really extend to people playing him in arcades as far as I know, so Baiken is probably a better bet to get people playing in arcades more. Don't get me wrong though, I want to play Bridget, and I want to see Ruu playing Bridget again.

I would be surprised if it's just these two in Rev 2 honestly. Arcsys may be doing something different with how they are releasing it, but it still feels like their other upgrades to me. Rev started with Johnny and Jack-O', then later added Jam, I expect at least something like that(I don't know if we will see the console character boost though). But who knows.

This seems like a much smaller update but I can see them adding more DLC characters.

Rutger

Banned
This seems like a much smaller update but I can see them adding more DLC characters.

Yeah, it's a small update, for consoles. It doesn't seem all that different from the standard arcade updates though, except console users will be able to play it much sooner and it's not continuing the story. Arcsys usually has at least one character added shortly after the arcade version's release, so I think it's safe to expect as much with Rev2.

But who knows, this is something new.

Slaythe

Yeah, it's a small update, for consoles. It doesn't seem all that different from the standard arcade updates though, except console users will be able to play it much sooner and it's not continuing the story. Arcsys usually has at least one character added shortly after the arcade version's release, so I think it's safe to expect as much with Rev2.

But it's because they spend like a year to port over the console version.

Here it's not gonna take that long.

I hope they pull a dizzy though, which means they do plan on adding at least one more character (paying) a month or two later.

I know it's cash cow milking but the quality of those games demand it, and having an update (systems, rebalance, new modes, revamped online) for the price of two characters (included) is not bad at all.

They might even make the 3rd character free for a week like Dizzy was.

Caim

Very happy that Baiken is finally in, and very surprised to see Answer as playable.

Hoping for Zappa, Robo-Ky and Dr. Paradigm in the future.

Pompadour

So is Rev coming out for PS3? I heard that the online is going to be "revamped" which gives me hope they implement a rollback based netcode. However, I suspect they're shackled to delay if they're supporting the PS3 because rollback netcode takes more power than delay based.

Any improvement is welcome, though.

Slaythe

Kinda wish they would let PS3 die at this point and work on PC / PS4 crossplay.

But they would have to increase the input lag on pc.

Korigama

So is Rev coming out for PS3? I heard that the online is going to be "revamped" which gives me hope they implement a rollback based netcode. However, I suspect they're shackled to delay if they're supporting the PS3 because rollback netcode takes more power than delay based.

Any improvement is welcome, though.
Downloadable update only for PS3/PC. Downloadable update and physical options for PS4.

I think they made a distinction that they consider it something different from Sign -> Rev. (The specifically mentioned no new mechanics, like the Burst and Blitz expansions in Revelator) So I think it'll end up being a smaller update. Which is probably why they're delivering it this way to begin with.

I mean never say never, but Jam was no secret for Rev arcade. If there's someone else we'll know about it before it goes live.

Rutger

Banned
I think they made a distinction that they consider it something different from Sign -> Rev. (The specifically mentioned no new mechanics, like the Burst and Blitz expansions in Revelator) So I think it'll end up being a smaller update. Which is probably why they're delivering it this way to begin with.

I mean never say never, but Jam was no secret for Rev arcade. If there's someone else we'll know about it before it goes live.

I do agree, if there's any more characters we will likely know about them before it's released. I just think there's still a chance for another announcement at a later time, it's pretty common with Arcsys games. If not, I'm still happy with the two new characters we are getting, so it's not going to change how much I'm looking forward to Rev2.

I'm most excited about the new moves myself. It's what I enjoy the most about ArcSys games.

Was nuts coming back to BB with CP after being out since like CS. So many new animations and moves even on my old characters. I want Guilty Gear to feel like that someday

King Kye

Banned
Sidewinder was good due to the 'Clean Hit' mechanic introduced in Accent Core. That doesn't exist in Xrd, so I'm sure it'll just be another Sol move everyone complains about for 5-6 months until they figure out how to deal with it.

Assuming he gets it.

Please God let him get it.

Astarte

Answer might play a bit like Bang in setting up seals and whatnot. There's a few frames of answer flying to burning business cards during his air rekka so it'd be pretty neat.
God I hope he's fun.

King Kye

Banned
Hope ky gets his midscreen vapor thrust loops back :p

I was thinking this but I'm not sure he needs em' in this game. He gets hard knockdown off everything already. They'd have to buff the cross up hitbox of his js again to make it worth it, maybe.

*edit*

Wait what "loops" are you referring to? I'm thinking of Lightning Javelin.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want this back. >_>

GGAC_Ky_6H.png

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH that move was only hype off random counter hit 6p's that walll bounced :p

And yeah the midscreen loop I was talking about is lighting jav. No he doesn't need it, but does sol need a dive kick? :p

You'll get crappy 222H back and you will (not) like it.

haha It would only be crap in this version because of no FRC. in +R it was a proper combo extender.

Honestly if I had to give Ky anything, it would just be returning his air fireball cancels back to AC status, I need this block chain to be like... 5 seconds longer :p
So I can do 75% plus off the next hit

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is this a good fighting game for a newbie to start?

People will tell you no, I will always tell people yes. Avoid looking at high level stuff right away and ease into the basics of the game one step at a time at your own pace. Guilty Gear XRD at it's basic core is one of the simplest fighters out there. It as a lot of sub systems to it's combat that you can slowly add in as you get more accustom to things.

People will tell you no, I will always tell people yes. Avoid looking at high level stuff right away and ease into the basics of the game one step at a time at your own pace. Guilty Gear XRD at it's basic core is one of the simplest fighters out there. It as a lot of sub systems to it's combat that you can slowly add in as you get more accustom to things.

I don't play fighting games but GGXX Midnight Carnival, Ky main, was one of the few exceptions because I had a buddy to constantly challenge me. But other than that I never really grew to like the genre. Ive stopped for Several years already and now I wanted to try to get back in but there's always some other more interesting game and let's be honest, the genre is even more intimidating than Souls lol.

Love the characters and lore though.

King Kye

Banned
Actually, yes, Sol does need the Divekick. It's 6P bait. Every character has something that can bait 6P in the air.

And I forgot about 6H. That move was dope as hell. It was a great pressure tool, a great check against people's mashing skills, pretty mind gamey on ground normal hit.

Rutger

Banned
I have no idea what they could give Chipp, his Xrd moveset is pretty much perfect.

Yeah, GG is really easy to start out with. The characters can do so much with a simple and easy combo into knockdown, which allows people to follow the character's gameplan right away, and slowly work on adding new things to their game.

King Kye

Banned
As long as you're playing someone at your skill level the game is easy to get into. Playing the game at a high level isn't easy in the slightest. Which is true for all games but doubly true for Guilty.

LordKasual

Banned

Compared to other fighting games? Off gut instinct,no.

But i'm going to say yes, because Xrd has a tutorial mode that literally teaches you how to play fighting games. Like how to actually play, as in how to beat other human players, not just how to do combos and execute moves. The mechanics, advanced concepts, shit that you'd usually have to learn off forums or by asking local players better than you.

So, if you actually play GGXrd, you'll probably learn better and faster than if you started with other games like Marvel, SF, ect.

The game is certainly much harder on a technical and mechanical level than pretty much any fighter out now that's popular. It's a farcry from its older generation entries though, they've toned alot of the really silly shit and technical requirements down.

Pompadour

If you really want to get better Revelator does a great job at teaching you basically everything you need to know about the game. But you have to put in the time and effort.

There's a lot of systems and subsystems and character specific quirks in the game but you really don't need to learn everything right away. Just do it piece by piece. Plus, a lot of what you learn in this game can be applied to other 2D fighters so the energy spent on this game pays dividends elsewhere.

Top Bottom