• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

JEKKI

Other issue is probably gonna be how high above the ground you're starting the combo after the command grab, delay the 236P a bit after the command grab to make things easier.
ahhh thanks! that was the trick, delaying the 236P!

I was able to pull the combo off in like 5 minutes with that advice lol.

Had no problem beating the next one too.

Fumbling a bit thru 06 tho, but it doesnt seem too difficult as well, should be able to land it later.

but man, these single challenges are about as long as regular $60 games these days >_<

also Sin still sucks... I've no idea how I'll ever get thru any more of his challenges.I wanna try Chipp too to see if it's as nightmare as previously mentioned =P lots of JI moves I bet...

mooncakes

So when does the usual Arc System Works cycle kicks in for the next version of the game? I am ready for some new characters and system changes.

Sayad

So when does the usual Arc System Works cycle kicks in for the next version of the game? I am ready for some new characters and system changes.
Think there's a Japanese tournament this month with some speculations that the new game will be revealed there.

Slaythe

Arcsys is pretty busy right now.

I wouldn't expect a new version so soon, but maybe they have more people now that BB is done.

I wouldn't expect a new version so soon, but maybe they have more people now that BB is done.

Given the post release support for Xrd, I wouldn't be so sure that they're done with BB just yet.

This. Mostly because I'm scared of the next round of balancing.

Not so much that as I think ArcSys is better about balancing than most other FG devs, but I feel this is their "Super" entry. Meaning that I feel this is probably the last good entry for new players to jump in before the burden of knowledge just becomes insurmountable., as it sort of did for SF4 revisions past Super, or BB revisions past......CS2?? (I was never a BB player) If they continue to add characters at the same pace of 6 per entry, I can't imagine trying to catch up starting from scratch in a game with 29-30 characters.

Personally I'd like to spend more time just learning the existing content before adding more matchups and potentially newer mechanics to the mix.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm probably starting the game from scratch soon. I played BB before but I've never played GG much.

This is gonna be a lot of shit to take in. :(

WarRock

How the heck am I supposed to play Ram and why did she feels so interesting to use, I hate MK/3D fighter strings.

Also, how long is the story? Wasn't planning to go through it but the money at the end seems nice...

Korigama

Given the post release support for Xrd, I wouldn't be so sure that they're done with BB just yet.
I don't expect them to be done with BB until the inevitable Extend version of Central Fiction.

As far balancing, I've always found Arc to be hit-and-miss, not having been too frequent with rebalancing lately compared to the past, but still having a tendency to overdo things with certain characters and general mechanics (more of a problem with BB and P4AU compared to P4A than with Xrd, I'd say).

I'm probably starting the game from scratch soon. I played BB before but I've never played GG much.

This is gonna be a lot of shit to take in. :(

Now's the time to do it. Like I said above it's only going to get harder from here on out. I don't think waiting for the "complete" version as ever worked out for anyone serious about learning and playing.

Also, how long is the story? Wasn't planning to go through it but the money at the end seems nice...

It's less than 5 hours I'd say. Probably like 3 or 4 total and it's completely a passive thing. Put it on during a meal or while you're working on something if you don't want to devote your complete attention to it.

I don't expect them to be done with BB until the inevitable Extend version of Central Fiction.

Maybe... I moreso meant this console release though. I'm pretty sure they have DLC characters planned at the very least.

As far balancing, I've always found Arc to be hit-and-miss, not having been too frequent with rebalancing lately compared to the past, but still having a tendency to overdo things with certain characters and general mechanics (more of a problem with BB and P4AU compared to P4A than with Xrd, I'd say).

Fair. I still think they're better than most others and I think Xrd is the best of the best. From Revelator preserving Sign's game balance initially to the timing of their new patches. (Post Evo announcement/release was incredible)

JEKKI

maaaaan wtheck I jus started playing this game and yallz already asking for a newer one

:(

any1 still play online tho??

the servers here on the west coast are usually empty lol. but there's always like 50+ ppl if you select the east coast region =P

Slaythe

maaaaan wtheck I jus started playing this game and yallz already asking for a newer one

:(

any1 still play online tho??

the servers here on the west coast are usually empty lol. but there's always like 50+ ppl if you select the east coast region =P

This isn't getting a new version any time soon.

And when it does, it's one year away from a console release...

So don't worry.

BBboy20

C1c9lUhVEAAsDSs.jpg

Sayad

GG team is like 20 or so guys at ASW most of the work is just outsourced. They can manage, but yea, even if a new game is announced, we're probably at least 10 months away from a console version.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Now's the time to do it. Like I said above it's only going to get harder from here on out. I don't think waiting for the "complete" version as ever worked out for anyone serious about learning and playing.
Yeah, I agree. There's no point in waiting because of the way these games update.

I'm really bad both at playing and learning fighting games, to the point where BB's update pace generally threw me back to square one roughly when I felt like I was starting to get competent lol.

Kikirin

I saw some footage and I have few questions:

at 1.25 what is this action called (Ramlethal), what is its use and how is it performed?

https://youtu.be/CUIfMq1Iw-o?t=85

23sgj1d.jpg

It's likely her (held) Blitz Shield (neutral or crouch + HS + any non-D button). Tapping it gets you a brief parry, and holding it is kinda like SF4's focus attack. Opponents that swing into it are briefly put into a vulnerable state where they can only Blitz Shield (or Burst?). The mechanic is universal and costs 25% meter.

As for its use, it is largely used as a high risk defensive option, but the attack is sometimes used as a combo part. For the tap version, the standing one catches non-super high and mid strikes and projectiles, and the crouching one catches non-super low strikes and projectiles. Holding the input for either will allow it to eventually catch all non-super or throw attacks. An attack comes out only after the hold version.

Astarte

I'm feeling better about my state with jam right now. Just need to get in a lot more games at my locals and I'll be ready for final round; need to do a lot more jH and 2s against Leo.
Remove leo

Rutger

Banned

Team Blue likes to throw in whatever sounds cool and worry about the balance down the line. Team Red has been pretty reserved with Xrd's rebalancing so far.

But who knows, for some reason I feel they might be ready to change things up a little with the next one.

I look forward to the next GG because at least it's another chance for Bridget and ABA to return.
It's gonna be Baiken, Robo-Ky, and Zappa...

maks

Didnt realize the console releases have lagged behind arcade so long. Have the devs explained why? Any indication from them that they would sync releases better? I imagine this hurts the online console community. Perhaps they're protecting their arcade relationships but im not sure how much simultaneous releases hurt arcade revenue.

petran79

Banned
It's likely her (held) Blitz Shield (neutral or crouch + HS + any non-D button). Tapping it gets you a brief parry, and holding it is kinda like SF4's focus attack. Opponents that swing into it are briefly put into a vulnerable state where they can only Blitz Shield (or Burst?). The mechanic is universal and costs 25% meter.

As for its use, it is largely used as a high risk defensive option, but the attack is sometimes used as a combo part. For the tap version, the standing one catches non-super high and mid strikes and projectiles, and the crouching one catches non-super low strikes and projectiles. Holding the input for either will allow it to eventually catch all non-super or throw attacks. An attack comes out only after the hold version.

thanks for the info. Because game tutorial did not cover this mechanism, neither in Xrd nor Revelator.

Rutger

Banned
Didnt realize the console releases have lagged behind arcade so long. Have the devs explained why? Any indication from them that they would sync releases better? I imagine this hurts the online console community. Perhaps they're protecting their arcade relationships but im not sure how much simultaneous releases hurt arcade revenue.
I believe it's because they get most of the money off of the game from arcades. I don't have any data but it is clearly good enough to keep the series going. Maybe someone else knows more?
thanks for the info. Because game tutorial did not cover this mechanism, neither in Xrd nor Revelator.

Did you go through Mission mode? It explains a lot of the more complicated things, as well as how to deal with some things the characters can do.

WarRock

Holy shit man, Venom at the end of the story mode. That was some Unlimited Snooker Works!

Having not played Sign, I must say I'm so glad with Revelator. It does feel both something akin to XX and a newer title. The visuals are great, the characters are all fun and enjoyable (even the ones I thought I was going to hate, like Sin and Leo) both in gameplay and story, the expanded (and centralized) lore is great to have... It just feels good seeing GG alive and well.

A shame the sound mixing seems a little off? I barely hear the soundtrack.

maks

I believe it's because they get most of the money off of the game from arcades. I don't have any data but it is clearly good enough to keep the series going. Maybe someone else knows more?

I recall blazblue in the top spot for arcade revenue a few years back. It does seem to do well there. I picked up blazblue and central fiction recently. Looking forward to going through both games.

maks

I have a terrible story to share. Back when Guilty Gear released for ps1 there was a tournament for it at the arcade at UCLA. I never played the game before but managed to get 3rd place. I won a copy of the game as a prize. Daisuke was there and he signed it for me. I really enjoyed the game and its the only one i played much of but for some reason i traded it in to my local game store. So much regret now :(

petran79

Banned
Did you go through Mission mode? It explains a lot of the more complicated things, as well as how to deal with some things the characters can do.

I tried it but it didnt mention that you can tap. Just hold.

Though Mission mode is very difficult. Maybe if they had a sample in Mission mode it would help. Noob in Guilty Gear is equal to intermediate in other 2D fighters.

Rutger

Banned
Though Mission mode is very difficult. Maybe if they had a sample in Mission mode it would help. Noob in Guilty Gear is equal to intermediate in other 2D fighters.

Honestly, I don't think Guilty Gear is difficult at a low level, it's just that many beginners want to jump right in and do the flashy stuff they should be learning at an intermediate level.

I'll use Chipp as an example since I'm most familiar with him. If someone new to GG wanted to pick him up, I'd tell them to start by simply learning what can chain into 2D(crouching Dust). This will give a new Chipp player hard knockdown, which starts the real magic of the character, his insane mixup game, start teleporting, or jumping or whatever, catch them trying to mash DP by crossing up and messing up their input or take advantage of them respecting you too much. Getting hard knockdown is so useful in GG that learning the quickest way to do so is priority number 1 when starting out, and these tend to be pretty simple and will be useful forever.

All the system mechanics should be taken a little more slowly, it takes time to learn these things, and no one expects you to have it down in one day. It's easy to get overwhelmed but if you keep it simple and start by focusing on just learning the basics of your character, it's not that bad.

petran79

Banned
Honestly, I don't think Guilty Gear is difficult at a low level, it's just that many beginners want to jump right in and do the flashy stuff they should be learning at an intermediate level.

I'll use Chipp as an example since I'm most familiar with him. If someone new to GG wanted to pick him up, I'd tell them to start by simply learning what can chain into 2D(crouching Dust). This will give a new Chipp player hard knockdown, which starts the real magic of the character, his insane mixup game, start teleporting, or jumping or whatever, catch them trying to mash DP by crossing up and messing up their input or take advantage of them respecting you too much. Getting hard knockdown is so useful in GG that learning the quickest way to do so is priority number 1 when starting out, and these tend to be pretty simple and will be useful forever.

All the system mechanics should be taken a little more slowly, it takes time to learn these things, and no one expects you to have it down in one day. It's easy to get overwhelmed but if you keep it simple and start by focusing on just learning the basics of your character, it's not that bad.

I am mostly focusing on defensive options first. Attacking options can come later. Currently I am playing on a Logitech F310 gamepad and it is very unreliable for that game. Left side dashing, DP and HCB-F specials are troublesome on that dpad. When I try the game again on stick I'll focus on attack.
I dont do well with fastpaced characters. Wanted to play May but she relies on rush and speed too much. Ram can be played at a slower pace too without getting too technical.

WarRock

Dr. Paradigm is great. Wonder if he'll ever be playable.
I really want Gabriel to be playable at some point. GG has a surprising small amount of punchy characters and he is a badass in all his scenes.

Ishiwatari could give us a rocket punch super for Slayer after that scene with Bedman too =D

Rutger

Banned
Dr. Paradigm is great. Wonder if he'll ever be playable.

He was playable in GG2, and he was an option in the vote for returning characters. I believe Arcsys wants to eventually bring back all old characters, so he probably will show up one day.

I am mostly focusing on defensive options first. Attacking options can come later. Currently I am playing on a Logitech F310 gamepad and it is very unreliable for that game. Left side dashing, DP and HCB-F specials are troublesome on that dpad. When I try the game again on stick I'll focus on attack.
I dont do well with fastpaced characters. Wanted to play May but she relies on rush and speed too much. Ram can be played at a slower pace too without getting too technical.

Defense is a very complicated subject, in all fighting games it involves a strong knowledge of the system mechanics as well as matchup knowledge. Guilty Gear has some surprisingly strong defensive options for a game known for being extremely aggressive, but I'd still recommend new players start of with learning their character's basic oki game. These characters can get so much more done at a low level by getting that knockdown and going for a mixup.

All I can say on the controls is to keep practicing. I don't play on pad but people pull it off. If the pad itself is not good you may need to try and get a new one.

You're going to want to keep the pressure going with every character, but Axl is the main zoner of the game, it's worth looking at him if you really don't want to play rushdown. Ram might have her big sword normals, but her goal is going to be to push the opponent to the corner and then start her oppressive oki game, like so. Ky might not be too bad either. Faust could work as well. Maybe Jack-O' too? Of course, if you just really want to play Ram, I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, just know you may need to adjust your playstyle.

cj_iwakura

He was playable in GG2, and he was an option in the vote for returning characters. I believe Arcsys wants to eventually bring back all old characters, so he probably will show up one day.

Yep, I loved GG2. Glad he has the same dub. What the hell happened to Sol, though? (And Liam O'Brian isn't Ky anymore.)

I know they're not in Revelator, so probably not a big deal.

I know Paradigm's dub is familiar, just can't place it. (Why the heck did they give Leo and Tager the same dub VA?)

in GG2 he didn't have any moves really. His design in that game was having the strongest and cheapest servants at the cost of being the weakest master. He had no damage and all of his "combos" were just to create space or slow down the enemy Master. You pick him to avoid Master vs Master fights and win the match through your strategic use of servants.

There's not really much to make a 1v1 character out of there, so I doubt he'll be playable. I think quite a bunch of the character poll characters were only on the table if they won the vote, and I think ArcSys probably figured a lot of them didn't even have a chance of that. Like Dr. Paradigm and Fanny lol

petran79

Banned
if you just really want to play Ram, I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, just know you may need to adjust your playstyle.

Her PPP, PKP, KKP etc attack combos are easier compared to the rest of the staff. Jack O would be another nice choice but all those servants and bells are too confusing, causing information overload. Couldnt discern which character was which when so many gathered on screen

Rutger

Banned
in GG2 he didn't have any moves really. His design in that game was having the strongest and cheapest servants at the cost of being the weakest master. He had no damage and all of his "combos" were just to create space or slow down the enemy Master. You pick him to avoid Master vs Master fights and win the match through your strategic use of servants.

There's not really much to make a 1v1 character out of there, so I doubt he'll be playable. I think quite a bunch of the character poll characters were only on the table if they won the vote, and I think ArcSys probably figured a lot of them didn't even have a chance of that. Like Dr. Paradigm and Fanny lol

I get what you're saying, but if there's one thing I trust Arcsys with it's their ability to make creative and interesting movesets, so I don't find it hard to imagine them turning that into something for a fighting game.

That said, yeah I'm sure they didn't expect characters like Dr.Paradigm and Fanny to win, and they were no doubt working on Raven before the vote was started, but it's still a gamble to put them on there if they aren't ready to do something with them, even with the vote requiring people to play in arcades it could still be taken over with an unexpected pick. They also did throw out some basic ideas of what they might do with every character if they win. I don't expect him to be playable anytime soon honestly, but I find it hard to say he could never show up.

Maybe. I guess I just don't want the cast to get too bloated since that just makes the game a chore to learn. I'd like to see the roster stay sub 30 myself but I'm probably blowing into the wind with that wish.

petran79

Banned
Maybe. I guess I just don't want the cast to get too bloated since that just makes the game a chore to learn. I'd like to see the roster stay sub 30 myself but I'm probably blowing into the wind with that wish.

Now that Blazblue is probably over, maybe they'll focus entirely on GG this time, combining resources. I dont see them making a new fighting game from scratch for a while.

Sayad

Now that Blazblue is probably over, maybe they'll focus entirely on GG this time, combining resources. I dont see them making a new fighting game from scratch for a while.
There were plans for a new fighting games few years ago, they even teased the idea, but that probably got canceled now. BB team will go on to make what they always wanted to make, a story driven RPG.

Bebpo

Banned
There were plans for a new fighting games few years ago, they even teased the idea, but that probably got canceled now. BB team will go on to make what they always wanted to make, a story driven RPG.

If they did something that was like Odin's Sphere but with even better combat...I would be totally ok with this!

I don't think BB team is gonna work on GG. Xrd Rev's sales were pretty bad, and Xrd was already selling less than BB. While hopefully they'll keep Xrd alive with more entries I can see them being careful with the resources they put on Xrd because it's a fairly niche series at this point unfortunately.

Sayad

If they did something that was like Odin's Sphere but with even better combat...I would be totally ok with this!

I don't think BB team is gonna work on GG. Xrd Rev's sales were pretty bad, and Xrd was already selling less than BB. While hopefully they'll keep Xrd alive with more entries I can see them being careful with the resources they put on Xrd because it's a fairly niche series at this point unfortunately.
I doubt that, not much lower than SIGN at least, else they wouldn't have given all dlc characters for free. What happened with Xrd Rev was that it was up for digital preorder like three months before release and preordaining gave you the whole game with all the characters minus Kum and Raven. Basically, if you were an active Xrd SIGN player you had no reason to wait for the full physical release, which is what show up in 3rd party sale tracking.

Rutger

Banned
I doubt that, not much lower than SIGN at least, else they wouldn't have given all dlc characters for free. What happened with Xrd Rev was that it was up for digital preorder like three months before release and preordaining gave you the whole game with all the characters minus Kum and Raven. Basically, if you were an active Xrd SIGN player you had no reason to wait for the full physical release, which is what show up in 3rd party sale tracking.

Unless someone didn't have a PS4...

D:

Does Revelator end the story?

Yes, it finishes the story started in Sign. Things are still left open for more stories afterwards though.

WarRock

They didn't for me on PC ;_;

Top Bottom