• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Even just removing the YRC slowdown during none special moves would fix most of YRC's problems.

I would enjoy the game way more if they did that. And they could do this with just an update to the game, not a new version. Brah, never gonna happen, Arc System Works. Meanwhile we experimented Marvel style super jumps in Skullgirls beta as it was nothing.

Kimosabae

Banned
I can't help but find the notion of slowing down time to punish whiffed normals hella interesting, though. What's the proration on YRC?

I can't help but find the notion of slowing down time to punish whiffed normals hella interesting, though. What's the proration on YRC?

If we were in a more footsies and slower game I would try this even if it seems pretty violent. But in a game like GG where you're planning ahead a lot of things instead of just reacting/poking footsies? Nope. It's like my mind in a chalkboard and someone is passing a violent eraser on it. I really don't like this.

Sayad

To be honest, I kinda agree with Kimosabae, that does look like something I want to try. And it's a very interesting use of meter, it puts the player with less than 25% meter at a big disadvantage if the other player have more than %25, which is a very GGish thing. ;p

Coda

I can't decide on a main now, I guess I shouldn't feel like I need to choose at this point. I went from I-No to Venom. Venom is great but he's hard for me to get the hang of online. I started playing Chipp a bit after and I almost immediately felt right at home with him because one of my mains in SFIV is Guy. The fast rushdown, the teleporting mixup tricks all immediately made me more of a threat as a player. So Chipp might have to be my boyyyy.

Kimosabae

Banned
If we were in a more footsies and slower game I would try this even if it seems pretty violent. But in a game like GG where you're planning ahead a lot of things instead of just reacting/poking footsies? Nope. It's like my mind in a chalkboard and someone is passing a violent eraser on it. I really don't like this.

Not to offend, but it's pretty typical for a long-time fan of a hoary franchise to dismiss something new before exploring its implications or experiencing how it changes things first hand.

Guilty Gear most definitely has its Super Turbo-style footsie game. One of the main matchups I have experience with is Ky vs. Venom, and that matchup is almost literally a smutty and profligate war of f. S. In fact, I'd say a lot of Guilty Gear is a war of f. S, in general. It's just emphasized in that matchup more, because Venom wants to get his rocks off with f. S and Ky wants to stop Venom from getting his rocks off with f. S.

I think it's starting to dawn on me how uncharted and provocative YRC might sincerely be. I remember Ryan Hunter talking to me about punishing something on block using the slowdown from YRC, or something of that nature. I didn't pay too much attention because I was still trying to wrap my head around the basics, and honestly, I didn't even understand how the slowdown worked at the time.

Now, I think I'm starting to envision the kind of stuff he was getting at.

4r5

footsies and hit confirming off one move is really really hard online

YRC has 6f of startup, so something would need to be -11 to go even on your reversal YRC. 6f for the YRC startup, then slowdown hits with -5f left. Slowdown will double that to -10. So a move would need to be -13 or greater for a reversal YRC to give you additional frame advantage.

Many moves at such a disadvantage are already naturally punishable. But I guess it's good to know.

Rutger

Banned
I love the new RC system, it compliments Chipp so well. I don't want to go back to a Chipp that can't control time.

The system can use some tweaks, the YRC burst bait options select needs to be removed, but I find the system to be pretty fun overall. I hope they don't start removing parts of it in the next update.

Besides, if I want to play a game without slowdown RCs, I'll go back to +R. Which I still play anyway since it's the only place I can find Johnny and ABA right now.

emb

I just went through tutorials describing the different RCs, bursts, and the various guard options. I knew there were things, but I was surprised to see so many mechanics. It's pretty overwhelming; and I'm not done yet lol.

What's the difference between blue and yellow RC? I didn't quite catch that when I was going through them.

I just went through tutorials describing the different RCs, bursts, and the various guard options. I knew there were things, but I was surprised to see so many mechanics. It's pretty overwhelming; and I'm not done yet lol.

What's the difference between blue and yellow RC? I didn't quite catch that when I was going through them.

Yellow RC happens when your opponent is not in hitstun or blockstun when you RC a move. Purple RC happens under the same conditions, only you get it when you RC a move late into it's active frames. Basically punishing you for not executing the RC earlier. You still got your cancel, but it then cost you 50 meter instead of 25.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Purple is during recovery of a move 2nd longest time slow. Cost 50%

Yellow is typically before active frames of an attack, wiffed attacks, or during non attacking actions, opponent cant be in hit or blockstun.Cost 25%

MoxManiac

Semi-related question to the thread since the answer hinges on whether I'll get this now or not. Is there a reasonable way (converter, etc) to get PS3 sticks to work on PS4? Can't really drop the $$$ on a new stick right now.

Coda

Semi-related question to the thread since the answer hinges on whether I'll get this now or not. Is there a reasonable way (converter, etc) to get PS3 sticks to work on PS4? Can't really drop the $$$ on a new stick right now.

No real converters that I know of that don't require you constantly having it connected to a computer or is just a general pain in the ass.

Best thing would be to get your stick dual modded for both.

http://gummods.com/

This man offers reasonable modding services. But probably will cost you around $140, so it's just up to you if it's worth it. I did it for my stick and I haven't looked back. Works beautifully.

Tizoc

I think Xrd is 5 years after the last game, so she should be 22. If you play story mode, she "mumbles" what sounds like "22" when she is asked what her age is haha.

lol, she sure doesn't look 22 though, but I can kinda excuse that by her being short.
In fact it makes it all the funnier if she dislikes not looking like her age XD.

One more thing; Sin is 5 years old right? Do Gears age differently than humans?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol, she sure doesn't look 22 though, but I can kinda excuse that by her being short.
In fact it makes it all the funnier if she dislikes not looking like her age XD.

One more thing; Sin is 5 years old right? Do Gears age differently than humans?

Dizzy was 3 in XX :p

Rhapsody

Banned
I'd rather not have YRC in some places like in neutral. I've been abusing them wherever I can though in the mean time, haha.

fader

then write "they might YRC" with their possible options on your chalkboard then you're good. :)

Not to offend, but it's pretty typical for a long-time fan of a hoary franchise to dismiss something new before exploring its implications or experiencing how it changes things first hand.

Guilty Gear most definitely has its Super Turbo-style footsie game. One of the main matchups I have experience with is Ky vs. Venom, and that matchup is almost literally a smutty and profligate war of f. S. In fact, I'd say a lot of Guilty Gear is a war of f. S, in general. It's just emphasized in that matchup more, because Venom wants to get his rocks off with f. S and Ky wants to stop Venom from getting his rocks off with f. S.

I think it's starting to dawn on me how uncharted and provocative YRC might sincerely be. I remember Ryan Hunter talking to me about punishing something on block using the slowdown from YRC, or something of that nature. I didn't pay too much attention because I was still trying to wrap my head around the basics, and honestly, I didn't even understand how the slowdown worked at the time.

Now, I think I'm starting to envision the kind of stuff he was getting at.

It's not about being old fan or anything like that, I kinda like the way they implemented the YRC with slowdowns, I just don't like being able to freeze time for 25% while doing almost anything. During startups of specials or even some normals ok but like anywhere anytime anything? I did shit with airdash : YRC! I did shit with 6HK : YRC! I threw my fireball and the guy baited me and jumped over it and i'm gonna be punished? YRC. If it was 50% why not but 25%?

then write "they might YRC" with their possible options on your chalkboard then you're good. :)

It's way too random in my opinion. It's like the parry in 3.3 where there is no sign at all that the parry will happen and you're just making guesses.

Rutger

Banned
I'd rather not have YRC in some places like in neutral. I've been abusing them wherever I can though in the mean time, haha.

You can't really get rid of YRC in neutral without changing how they work, because even if they make it so that inputting a YRC when standing still does nothing, you'll still be able to YRC by starting an attack.

You could make it so you can't YRC on the first few frames of an attack I guess, but YRCs already have some startup, so doing that would most likely hurt the usefulness of YRCs in pressure than changing their use in neutral.

You could remove the time slowdown, but it's not much already and that would go against Arcsys' goal of making RCs easier to work with. I also feel YRCs being the strong universal tool that they are helps the game balance overall, because as they are now, even if a character doesn't have an attack that makes good use of YRCs, they can still find a use for them in neutral.

I guess they could also be made to have different slowdown depending on what it's used on? That goes back to the main thing I don't like about FRCs though, it's all up to Arcsys whether or not it's placed somewhere that is actually useful.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just put in more RC limiters like DPs have already.

Chipp and Faust and even Eddie YRCing Teleport type stuff is dumb as hell.

That or remove the time slow on YRC and remove the start up.

Rutger

Banned
Chipp and Faust and even Eddie YRCing Teleport type stuff is dumb as hell.

But Chipp's teleport YRCs are so much fun. D:

Chipp has made it out of the lower end of the tier list for two games now, let's keep this good thing going. Nothing wrong with letting him get knockdown for 25 tension whenever the opponent does something stupid around 22K range!

Dlent

Chipp has made it out of the lower end of the tier list for two games now, let's keep this good thing going. Nothing wrong with letting him get knockdown for 25 tension whenever the opponent does literally anything anywhere

fixed

I hope that these lobby changes don't make it into the next game. We lost an actual arcade lobby system like in BB/P4 in exchange for Player Matches with neutered options even though Player Matches are still in the game.

I switched to Yolo Sol and it has been working pretty well. The challenge mode teaches you a few combos that you can use after hitting with random flying flame kicks, bandit bringers, and gunflames. Also all the specials builds your tension pretty quick which lets you end most rounds (or you can attempt to end) with Dragon Installed Tyrant Raves for the chip. In Dragon Install Ground Viper can be followed up with Volcanic Viper in the corner as well. Ground Viper in general is a good answer to most things it seems (except for lows). I don't really use Volcanic Viper outside of combos since Ground Viper is just all around better for punishing (unless they are hitting you with lows).

Uraizen

Banned

Chipp has made it out of the lower end of the tier list for two games now, let's keep this good thing going. Nothing wrong with letting him get knockdown for 25 tension whenever the opponent does something stupid around 22K range!

This guy gets it. Don't touch my YRCs, I like them the way they are.

EDIT: Oh, the Burst OS can go, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm slowly but surely working in ciel enders with ky, who gives a fuck if the combo does 5 less damage, hard knockdown plus giant spinning sword of doom = da best

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm slowly but surely working in ciel enders with ky, who gives a fuck if the combo does 5 less damage, hard knockdown plus giant spinning sword of doom = da best

Oki into empty jump 5K > 2D > VT loops is the best.

On an (un)related note, I miss Dizzy. Still waiting for her return to be playable. I'm subbing so many characters since she's not there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oki into empty jump 5K > 2D > VT loops is the best.

On an (un)related note, I miss Dizzy. Still waiting for her return to be playable. I'm subbing so many characters since she's not there.

Unless I'm really really bad that doesn't work on most of the cast xD

Rutger

Banned

Well, you're not entirely wrong. That's Chipp's thing, he's everywhere. You play his game when you fight him, but that doesn't mean you never do anything. Pay attention to what the Chipp is doing, he can't 22K YRC while in the air.

It's not all that different from what Chipp has been doing for a while now, since at least AC he could FRC his 22H and 22D and likely hit you out of anything unless you baited it. It's a lot harder to bait since you can't just anti-air his attack, there's still those 6f of YRC startup you can poke him out if if you call him out.

The whole thing is pretty tame compared to what Zato and Millia can, and always will be able to do to you.

I tested his teleport YRCs a little more, and sad to see there's no reason to YRC 22S or 22H, he still just floats up a bit instead of instantly falling like his old FRCs. Doesn't even let you jump, sadly just a waste of meter. :(

Pompadour

Is finding a Ranked Match complete garbage for anyone else? 90% of searches end in not being able to connect and 5% connect but end up with the match being canceled. Thank God Entry exists.

Naite

All my sub characters were able to make it in the roster (besides Order Sol), but I haven't taken the time to play any of them. I just know like one or two of their optimal combos and then go back to using Slayer.

Is finding a Ranked Match complete garbage for anyone else? 90% of searches end in not being able to connect and 5% connect but end up with the match being canceled. Thank God Entry exists.

I generally stick to entry and find a match within 90 seconds, though opponents do cancel the match fairly often for whatever reason.

Entry is the way to go.

I hate playing musical chairs in lobbies so I've taken to turning on Entry and doing random stuff in Challenge/Practice mode.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Ranked in Xrd is complete ass. Coming from BBCP and P4AU it feels clunky as fuck. Why do I have ranks and levels? I see level 2 players that "outrank" me. Why couldn't the just keep the letter grading and PSR (even if no one knew what it stood for)?

Ranked in Xrd is complete ass. Coming from BBCP and P4AU it feels clunky as fuck. Why do I have ranks and levels? I see level 2 players that "outrank" me. Why couldn't the just keep the letter grading and PSR (even if no one knew what it stood for)?

Online PSR was most accurate in BBCS imo. 200-300PSR were good. 100-200 were ok, 0-100 just mashed.

The levels so far have given me no indication of my opponent's skill level in Xrd.

I just miss being able to walk around and jump on random open arcade cab slots.

Were there complaints about the arcade lobbies from other ArcSys games? I'm still wondering on why they decided to remove it.

FluxWaveZ

Were there complaints about the arcade lobbies from other ArcSys games? I'm still wondering on why they decided to remove it.

There weren't really criticisms that I'm aware of other than not being able to spectate matches at arcade cabinets. Maybe they also had to do it the way they did because of the PS3/PS4 cross-play or something. Or Team Red just wanted to handle things differently than Team Blue for... some reason. Either way, it's a disappointingly inferior experience.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Or Team Red just wanted to handle things differently than Team Blue for... some reason.
Either there's some rivalry going on there or they just can't help each other while also working on their respective projects. But again ASW are pumping games left and right so I wouldn't be impressed if it is the latter case.

fader

PSR is such a better system then getting levels (and I dislike BB and P4A). I always hated the level system...

Ra1den

I'm having trouble with Ky's challenge number 18. Seems you need a dash to land the kick, but I keep getting the 6k instead of the 5k. And if I wait longer, it ends up being too slow to work.

Really wish Pot's command grab was just a 270* ... having to do this ridiculously precise input is annoying, especially when I find myself having the correct read and then just getting Megafist because I skipped a single diagonal in the input. Zzz

Marz

Really wish Pot's command grab was just a 270* ... having to do this ridiculously precise input is annoying, especially when I find myself having the correct read and then just getting Megafist because I skipped a single diagonal in the input. Zzz

Training mode. Use it.

Top Bottom