• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Aesthet1c

Just picked this up and it's awesome, but I'm so bad.

I've never played a Guilty Gear game before this but I'm really digging it. Just gotta keep at the training mode and getting destroyed online until I get the hang of it all.

I've never played a Guilty Gear game before this but I'm really digging it. Just gotta keep at the training mode and getting destroyed online until I get the hang of it all.

GG has always been tough, gl to you fellow scrubby brother.

addyb

Likewise my friend. Never played a GG before but loving this. Even if I do get my ass kicked online all the time it's got enough SP content to hold my interest. The fighting is excellent as are the characters and movesets.

Aesthet1c

GG has always been tough, gl to you fellow scrubby brother.

Likewise my friend. Never played a GG before but loving this. Even if I do get my ass kicked online all the time it's got enough SP content to hold my interest. The fighting is excellent as are the characters and movesets.

My dudes, let us embrace the scrub together.

I'm leaving on vacation for a week, but if any other new players want to throw down together, add me. My PSN is Aesthet1c.

Anyone want to play? Going to Make a lobby in North America 1 > District 1A > Lobby #3

lol what?

It's a viable option to use on wakeup. Goes through tons of stuff.

If I have the tension I like to style on my opponents and end the round with a Stun Dipper > RC > Stun Dipper > RC > Stun Dipper swag combo. The trick is to delay the third Stun Dipper otherwise both hits won't connect.

Azure J

If I have the tension I like to style on my opponents and end the round with a Stun Dipper > RC > Stun Dipper > RC > Stun Dipper swag combo. The trick is to delay the third Stun Dipper otherwise both hits won't connect.

This is almost as wrong as the Sol Grab - RC - Respect (The thumbs up) - Fafnir match ender. :lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does M.O.M. mode ever end or does it go on for ever?
If it does end, how long did it take you to beat it?

Naite

Does M.O.M. mode ever end or does it go on for ever?
If it does end, how long did it take you to beat it?

There is an end, but it's a hell of a grind. You need to beat the marked enemy on the grid to get stars, and then when you get enough stars, you go up a level in class. The higher the class, the more stars you need to level up. It goes up to class 14, which requires 7 or 8 stars from class 13. Probably took me well over a week to get all the items and beat everything.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There is an end, but it's a hell of a grind. You need to beat the marked enemy on the grid to get stars, and then when you get enough stars, you go up a level in class. The higher the class, the more stars you need to level up. It goes up to class 14, which requires 7 or 8 stars from class 13. Probably took me well over a week to get all the items and beat everything.

Yeah. I originally thought each star was moving me up a class until I realized I was only on class 3 after what felt like forever.

Ra1den

There is a very simple trick that I discovered for that problem and I use it since Reload. Just press back and K at the end of the dash.

Damn this is a good idea. I'm pulling it off now sometimes even with just dashing, but this should make it more consistent.

Rhapsody

Banned
Feels slightly discouraging that despite all the work I put into my other characters, I think my Ky is still way better.

Been working on Potemkin, Slayer, and Zato most, and they're still a ways away. :/

Edit: On a related note, I'm learning Sol. A lot harder to stop autopiloting blockstrings instead of confirming into optimal stuff right now.

addyb

God I'm an idiot. Skipped some tutorials and had no idea about some of the gameplay mechanics like FD,bursts,dead angle attacks and blitz shields. Will have to hit more training.

Rhapsody

Banned
God I'm an idiot. Skipped some tutorials and had no idea about some of the gameplay mechanics like FD,bursts,dead angle attacks and blitz shields. Will have to hit more training.

Yeah, there's a lot. When I first played a GG game way back, I was overwhelmed. But ignoring a few of the mechanics helps, and is perfectly fine. Just think about bursts and FDing (at least in the air) for right now. I wouldn't worry too much on Blitz Shield or even DAAs at the moment.

DAAs can prove helpful later on, but for right now, it's probably best enjoying on spending your meter for other things.

addyb

I'm finding it hard pulling off the half circle motion specials. Don't know if it's just as I'm out of practice or the DS4 is hindering me.

Guess I just need to TRAIN!!!

I'm finding it hard pulling off the half circle motion specials. Don't know if it's just as I'm out of practice or the DS4 is hindering me.

Guess I just need to TRAIN!!!

From my experience, in this game if you miss a single diagonal for a half circle motion or half circle + tap opposite direction it will not register. You really have to clean up your inputs in this game. I'm riding my stick's gate like crazy in this.

Caj814

I agree on the clean motions notion. Recent Capcpom games really screwed with me when I first started playing and even more so when I started to record the footage for my cmv and took multiple takes because I missed hitting back or forward perfectly at the end of the motion

I agree on the clean motions notion. Recent Capcpom games really screwed with me when I first started playing and even more so when I started to record the footage for my cmv and took multiple takes because I missed hitting back or forward perfectly at the end of the motion

I don't, not in this case. There's a difference between making someone want to do a DP motion halfway competently and making it so that your game doesn't recognize Back - Down - Forward as a half circle motion. Ignoring that the half circle motion is needlessly complex to begin with the amount of precision required for the particular case I highlighted makes it objectively the most difficult motion in the game to execute for no reason. Because fuck your grapplers I guess.

addyb

Just played through arcade with Faust. I really like his moveset. Lots of variation and one of his specials is weird (the cup game)

Ahhh so I'm not on my own with the missed imputs then?

Yeah, other people have been complaining about it too. I don't personally like it as it restricts your use of a basic action in an unnecessary way. It doesn't add anything to the game in terms of enjoyment, just frustration if you're used to having your inputs read more sensibly in other games.

It's kind of the same with reversals, since it's so difficult to do online you hardly ever see anyone pulling it off which makes keeping someone locked up after a knockdown incredibly easy as you don't have to fear any kind of counterattack. That's why wake up (on the opponent) always feels rote to me since it always occurs the same way, in that sense it doesn't feel like I've earned hitting them with a wakeup meaty for example since there's nothing they can do about it. You can't delay tech, roll or wake up DP/super (reliably) in this game so once you know how to hit with meaty attacks on wake up you don't need to adjust your strategy at all.

But I guess that's the kind of gameplay it's meant to encourage so you'll just have to get used to it. I just Faultless Defense on wake up, maybe jump if I think they're going for an immediate grab.

Morris

Disco Devil
It's absurd how easy it is to combo into Elphelt's instant kill. Get thrown near the corner and you're done. I almost feel bad every time I win with it lol.

addyb

I really want a fight stick now but being uk based means I will have to import as amazon uk are out of stock for the hori v4. It's £95 there and £150 if I have to import from say playasia. Don't know if I can justify £150.

Sayad

Xrd trails are more "long" than "hard", memorizing what you should do is usually the hardest part.

Fuck micro dashes, though.

Xrd trails are more "long" than "hard", memorizing what you should do is usually the hardest part.

Idk my time playing Street Fighter made me soft, my special canceling too slow to finish some combos, dashing in combos is tough AND I keep forgetting my jump cancels. I think KoF combos are easier to execute.

Korezo

I can't jump toward, dash foward, or punish in this game. I'm going to blame it on the online lag because this doesn't make sense.

Azure J

I've gotten surprisingly close to finishing all of my two mains' character trials. I think I have 4 left for Ramlethal and 3 for Elphelt. The funny thing is, literally 9 days ago, that shit all felt like rocket science. What was taking me multiple hours to get for one trial, I went back and did (though 30) in under 10 minutes just casually messing around to see where my execution is in this game.

But yeah fuck micro dashes. :lol

Sayad

I can't do 6 of Zato's challenges, and I spent 3 hours on one of them.
Well, Zato is the game's hard character. From the ones I tried, I had a much, much harder time doing KoF's trails. Haven't tried Zato's though since I'm using a controller.

Generally, I think confirming into HD combos in KoF is much harder than confirming into BnBs in GG, for most characters at least, even though KoF have like a 17 frames buffer window for specials. But GG, with all it's movement options and mechanics, is definitely the harder game to get into.

any noteworthy chipp and elphelt players i should xcopy? other than elphelts unblockalols :l i feel cheap using those... but then again this is gg, everything is fair game!

Rhapsody

Banned
any noteworthy chipp and elphelt players i should xcopy? other than elphelts unblockalols :l i feel cheap using those... but then again this is gg, everything is fair game!

Samitto and Endou are good Chipp players you can find here http://keeponrock.in/match/search_form#content

There aren't that many Elphelt players. Koichi wasn't too bad. You can copy some of his RC combos and how he handles some of neutral. yggdraelle was another decent one on Kubo's stream. You get to see some confirms into shotgun loops and such.

Top Bottom