• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Shouta

Thought as much considering you have like 1.2k more games than I do. =p

I definitely need to mess with Leo's buttons some more and practice his counter/AA combos. His damage when he gets a hit seems good but I need to get them first, lol.

Two questions.

1. Would you recomend this game to someone who isn't very adept at fighting games, is it easy to get into?

I'm not much of a fighting game fan, but I wan't to give the genre a fair shot, since this game and the upcoming Street Fighter V look incredible.

2. How difficult are the trophies?

As someone who isn't very good at fighting games, should I just forget trophies exist for this game?

1. I love the game, but I am not going to sugarcoat anything. It can be a very challenging fighter to fully learn, but if you are average/casual at fighting games, I think it has some easy to learn characters and gameplay mechanics that can get you by if you dedicate enough time to them. If you are familiar with Street Fighter 4, the game has similarities gameplay-wise with it's execution, canceling special moves, super-moves, etc. When you get up to the air combos for example(which is the tough part for me), it becomes a little bit more like Marvel vs Capcom or BlazBlue imo. The tutorial and training material the game offers is excellent and is proficient in teaching you the basics as well as some more complicated mechanics. Imo, the controls are excellent also and the game is so much fun, but please look out for online warriors, especially in ranked. Definitely stick to player matches if you decide to go online. Bottom line. Imho, challenging to learn, but very rewarding and I still think fun can be had on a casual level. I think it is an amazing fighter.

2. Trophies are fairly difficult because unfortunately(for me) it has quite a bit of online trophies which can vary depending on experience and skill of the player. I think I am sitting at around 51% right now and some of them might take me awhile to procure. Not too bad overall as it has some easy ones as well, but getting a Platinum in this game for the average fighting fan could be a very difficult task. I think with enough time and dedication, you can acquire a good amount of the trophies.

Korigama

I've heard from a lot of people that the physical release of this game was very low and is already running out, mostly because most stores only had 1-2 copies.
It was, and it is. Concerning, given the fact that the JP sales already weren't particularly great even without supply constraints.

NEO0MJ

Not too surprised about the limited release of the game. Still, I hope this doesn't bode bad for the game's future.

Anyone want to play?

Shouta

Leo has issues dealing with Ky too, imo. Lots of stuff the Leo player has to be afraid of.

I can see that but I need to try it in an in person environment to get a better idea.

The various fireballs are really annoying considering Leo is fairly slow. Ky also has buttons that out-ranges Leo a bit and has that dumb slide making any well-placed Slash and HS useless, lol.

hypernima

Banned
When they designed Elphelt, who thought it was a good idea to make Pinkberry not disappear on hit?

Who also thought her 2S was a good idea?

Azure J

When they designed Elphelt, who thought it was a good idea to make Pinkberry not disappear on hit?

Who also thought her 2S was a good idea?

Honestly, I'm surprised this shit flew under the radar as an Elph main. My brother got so salty the other day when I played suicide with a TK Pine Berry against the right wall that dropped out of the air as he had the game winning combo on me only to drop on his head, explode and give me a full air combo for the match. :lol

The other nutty thing about it is that its timer isn't affected by slowdowns from Roman Cancels or super startups. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it stuff supers just because it was tossed out into their face as they activated their super.

Nyoro SF

Given the amount of bullshit other characters can do I have no reservations about Elphelt's abilities. Trying to navigate around Zato's ground nonsense, Milia's disc bullshit, and Faust's zoning makes me 100% unapologetic about grenades that don't go away on hit and her c.S.

Hold that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, Elphelt has some dumb stuff, but not any more than what the strongest have had.

Too bad she doesn't interest me as much anymore.

hypernima

Banned
Given the amount of bullshit other characters can do I have no reservations about Elphelt's abilities. Trying to navigate around Zato's ground nonsense, Milia's disc bullshit, and Faust's zoning makes me 100% unapologetic about grenades that don't go away on hit and her c.S.

Hold that.

Yeah, Elphelt has some dumb stuff, but not any more than what the strongest have had.

I don't think Zato or Millia's stuff compares to that, but maybe that's because I've played past editions to get the hang of them that I don't really find that intimidating.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think Zato or Millia's stuff compares to that, but maybe that's because I've played past editions to get the hang of them that I don't really find that intimidating.

LzQ5VtN.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
? I don't comprehend

You are just posting salty. Stop posting salty. Play the match up more learn when to just keep blocking when to get the hell away from her and so forth. Once you knock her down she's pretty much dead. I've lost to her maybe 3 times since I've started and I've fought good ones that capitalize off set ups and drain my life dry off random hits of shit. If anything and you are really having trouble with her try picking her up yourself and see what beats you.

Everytime I see someone complain about a character I wish I could somehow select Slash Ky for use.

hypernima

Banned
You are just posting salty. Stop posting salty. Play the match up more learn when to just keep blocking when to get the hell away from her and so forth. Once you knock her down she's pretty much dead.

I'm not posting salty at all? I have a problem and I'm slowly dissecting it in training.

Azure J

Elphelt is too overrated right now, it's pretty annoying honestly. Pay attention to what's going on and stop mashing.

Honestly, as my first experience with the anime fighting game scene, I'm kinda surprised that a chick with a bouquet of roses and an above average handling of firearms is getting people more heated than "Welcome to the Shadowrealm" ass Zato and "I knocc em down, fade 'em, need dat" Millia. Hell if we're talking newcomers, Ramlethal is still plenty crazy.

Elphelt gets bodied the moment she's knocked down, especially if you can't respect the other person's pressure. Reversal Judge Better Half is a gimmick that will save you once ever. If anything, she's a lot like UMVC3 Strider with decent health and damage. Lots of different vortexes and a pretty neat oki game with grenade/satellite but if you get put in a position to block, you better have godlike defense.

...like seriously?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly, as my first experience with the anime fighting game scene, I'm kinda surprised that a chick with a bouquet of roses and an above average handling of firearms is getting people more heated than "Welcome to the Shadowrealm" ass Zato and "I knocc em down, fade 'em, need dat" Millia. Hell if we're talking newcomers, Ramlethal is still plenty crazy.

...like seriously?

Ramelthal is better than Elphelt, People are just salty because it's a new character who is pretty easy to use that's also pretty good. If Ram was more commonly played you would see people crying about her all day. But you know micro dashes and stuff :p

People complain about Leo as well being a "button masher character"

Onemic

It's because compared to all three of those characters Elphelts a lot easier to play and as such you're much more likely to face one online. It's why I've seen the most decent Elphelts online vs any other character. I've actually yet to see a non shitty zato or ramlethal.

It's the same reason why everyone hated Mitsuru in P4A even though she wasnt even top 3.

Azure J

In any event I just find it funny that in two different fighting games I've managed to be on the team playing a character everyone in the scene I usually talk to "hates." :lol

Rhapsody

Banned

Elphelt gets bodied the moment she's knocked down, especially if you can't respect the other person's pressure. Reversal Judge Better Half is a gimmick that will save you once ever. If anything, she's a lot like UMVC3 Strider with decent health and damage. Lots of different vortexes and a pretty neat oki game with grenade/satellite but if you get put in a position to block, you better have godlike defense.

It's rare to come across against a high level Zato. I hear a lot of complaints about Millia though for sure.

Elphelt's pretty easy to use for the random/average player, imo (in terms of neutral and knockdown). Not all Millia players online know how to do oki properly. Elphelt's user friendly in the way that tossing a grenade feels pretty intuitive on how to play around it.

hypernima

Banned
Ramelthal is better than Elphelt, People are just salty because it's a new character who is pretty easy to use that's also pretty good. If Ram was more commonly played you would see people crying about her all day. But you know micro dashes and stuff :p

People complain about Leo as well being a "button masher character"

I'm still on the fence on whose better, but they both seem to be two different poisons. I would agree that the fact that you have to know your shit to be consistently good with Ramlethal is a big factor. (Damn you onemic.)

...like seriously?

Is it hard to believe that playing those characters over and over would lead me to know what to avoid doing in that matchup?

Azure J

Is it hard to believe that playing those characters over and over would lead me to know what to avoid doing in that matchup?

I'm just wondering why you'd say that then feel like Elph is a rough matchup. (Not to mention Zato and Millia being all kinds of what the fuck in general.) Really just gotta play more and get used to it.

Hell I was in here bitching about Sol's Riot Stomp. Looking back only a few days, I feel bad that I even had to vent about something like that, especially when Elph 2S exists.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm just wondering why you'd say that then feel like Elph is a rough matchup. (Not to mention Zato and Millia being all kinds of what the fuck in general.) Really just gotta play more and get used to it.

Hell I was in here bitching about Sol's Riot Stomp. Looking back only a few days, I feel bad that I even had to vent about something like that, especially when Elph 2S exists.

What's wrong with Elphelt's 2S?

hypernima

Banned

When I took her to training mode and used it, I was kind of enamored.

Rhapsody

Banned
Anyone want to play in a few minutes?

I'll play.

Edit: 2S just seems like a worse Dizzy 2S to me. You have to 2S in advance to anti air something which makes it difficult to use. You might end up low profiling if you timed it super early, but I think they can punish you while you're recovering from 2S.

Rhapsody

Banned
Lobby's up. Too bad my connection's not too great with NEO0MJ. I invited Q.

If anyone else wants to join, lobby name is gaf. Password is 1111

NEO0MJ

Lobby's up. Too bad my connection's not too great with NEO0MJ. I invited Q.

If anyone else wants to join, lobby name is gaf. Password is 1111

That's what sucks about living halfway across the world and in country with terrible Internet. I even turned off the WiFi.

Still, it doesn't look like it matters much for you :p

Top Bottom