• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

NEO0MJ

Two button dash...why isn't it here?!

It's not just that. He has a unique airdash in that his only mobility option after jumping is pressing up, which lets him hover in the air. Inputting a movement then makes him dash in that direction. So even if this game did have two button dash it won't change his situation, unless they make it an alt. input for up.

Rhapsody

Banned
hm, so don't worry about high low mixups in pressure? Is that for Zato or everyone in general? Online I see players usually go for as many high/low mixups in pressure as possible.

Depends on the character. As Ky, I don't worry about highs too much. Frame traps go a long way with him, but I'll mix a high/throw once I've conditioned them to stop pressing buttons. Zato gets to go crazy with mixups when Eddie's out while I-No's all about going for mixups all day.

Not saying to don't go for mixups with jump-ins and stuff. Just that I wouldn't rely on 5D or overhead normals/specials all the time (unless you're Millia lol).

And just to clarify, I'm talking about regular blockstrings, not stuff off of oki and whatnot.

It's not just that. He has a unique airdash in that his only mobility option after jumping is pressing up, which lets him hover in the air. Inputting a movement then makes him dash in that direction. So even if this game did have two button dash it won't change his situation, unless they make it an alt. input for up.
It is basically an 8 way air dash.

Skilletor

So I just grabbed this game yesterday and put in a few hours into it. I'm completely new to trying to really learn the GG series and am still just going through the characters deciding who to play.

The one that I've put the most time in with so far is I-No and I must say, I've been having an incredibly hard time getting IAD down for a lot of her better combos. Are there any easy noob combos that don't require it that I can use as a placeholder, or am I just gonna have to buckle down and learn the damn thing off the bat?

Also, is there a good combo that she can score off of a ranged cr.K? I can get cr.K, cr.S, st.HS up close, but from range, the st.HS just whiffs and while she can do HCL off of cr.S, it whiffs opponents that are in a crouching state, which happens more often than not due to the footsie game. I hope there's SOMETHING worthwhile that I can get in this situation so I can stop just doing 2 hits into Stroke the Big Tree.

I'd suggest going through challenge mode if you haven't. Most of the combos are very practical.

Manbig

I'd suggest going through challenge mode if you haven't. Most of the combos are very practical.

That's what I have been doing with the characters that I've tried so far. I might have missed something during I-No's earlier trials, so I'll take a second look.

At this point, if not using IAD really gimps her as bad as it seems like it does, I might just go with someone that's a little more noob friendly with execution. Potemkin and Faust seem like possibilities.

AlexIIDX

are there any good video guides for game mechanics and character tutorials? Or should I just dive in and learn as I go?

The games tutorial mode is pretty solid....I did that, and then have just been going on dustloop forums reading up on the characters I want to play.

Kimosabae

Banned
are there any good video guides for game mechanics and character tutorials? Or should I just dive in and learn as I go?

If you're humble enough to take the latter approach, that's the best one, imo. It allows you to get a feel for the game on your own terms and with much less frustration. Dive into Dustloop forums once you've established that you want to meet a higher standard.

In terms of the basic mechanics, the game's tutorial has got you covered. Norviltataki's 'Airdash Academy' series is also a great place to start if you're relatively fresh to anime fighters, as is his 'Guilty Bits' series, which are character specific outlines based on AC+R, but a lot of the general strategies of the characters translate well to Xrd.

Airdash Academy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ

Who are you most interested in playing? Being a Dudley player, I'd suggest you give Sol a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxyzS1o_XQ

Tutorials and learning materials are kinda sporadic, so I might be able to help you find a more direct resource if you have a specific character you're interested in.

Sayad

Hey Sayah, which alternatives are you using midscreen ?
I'm not Sayah. ;p

After 6P/2K, 6P(not optimized and, like most of I-No's stuff, character specific):
- HS, JC, j.S, j.HS, HCL+Follow-Up have to be really close
- If you have meter and want to extend the previous combo, after HCL Follow-up, RRC, AD, land, c.S, SJC, j.S, j.HS, Dive P, AD, j.S, j.HS, HCL+Follow-Up
- HS, JC, j.HS, Note for Oki or against characters whose the other combo doesn't work on
- STBT-S, 6P(replace with 2S or K depending on the character), HCL

Manbig

Are you talking about 6P, HS, JC.IAD midscreen stuff? If so there are simpler alternatives with decent damage.

KiT GGXrd top 8 live: http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp

Stuff like that, yes. I've been using jump cancel into air.S, air.HS, HCL, follow up. Wondering if that's as good as it gets or not.

I think my primary issue is getting something worthwhile off of ranged 2K on crouching opponents though. I land that way too often and just haven't been able to convert it into meaningful damage.

Imm0rt4l

The games tutorial mode is pretty solid....I did that, and then have just been going on dustloop forums reading up on the characters I want to play.
ah alright

If you're humble enough to take the latter approach, that's the best one, imo. It allows you to get a feel for the game on your own terms and with much less frustration. Dive into Dustloop forums once you've established that you want to meet a higher standard.

In terms of the basic mechanics, the game's tutorial has got you covered. Norviltataki's 'Airdash Academy' series is also a great place to start if you're relatively fresh to anime fighters, as is his 'Guilty Bits' series, which are character specific outlines based on AC+R, but a lot of the general strategies of the characters translate well to Xrd.

Airdash Academy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ

Who are you most interested in playing? Being a Dudley player, I'd suggest you give Sol a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxyzS1o_XQ

Tutorials and learning materials are kinda sporadic, so I might be able to help you find a more direct resource if you have a specific character you're interested in.
Thanks, I'll heed your advice. I'm thinking about playing sol. Way back when I played reload(scrub level) I was playing ky. You're probably right in that I should play someone similar to dudley, I prefer pressing buttons/being aggressive rather than strictly zoning. I've considered milia and i-no as well.

Azure J

I got bored of her for a bit, but she's gotten cooler as time went on. Such a dumb (good) character lol

I'm having trouble doing a 4th reload on level 1 shotgun loops. The timings tight because I need to toss the pineberry in time.

The other day in the high of overtiredness, I was doing something stupid very casually. It was like 3 powered shotgun blasts - shotgun bash - 5 or 6 level 1 shotgun blasts. Stupid amounts of damage and off a lot of optimal confirms too.

Then I go to sleep, try again and since then it's like my mind is sending all kinds of wrong signals to my hands after I do more than two of the level 1 shotgun blasts. :lol

Rhapsody

Banned
The other day in the high of overtiredness, I was doing something stupid very casually. It was like 3 powered shotgun blasts - shotgun bash - 5 or 6 level 1 shotgun blasts. Stupid amounts of damage and off a lot of optimal confirms too.

Then I go to sleep, try again and since then it's like my mind is sending all kinds of wrong signals to my hands after I do more than two of the level 1 shotgun blasts. :lol

I'm lucky. Whenever I wakeup, it's like muscle memory developed all night making the next day much much easier, haha.

Phil T. Casual

Neo Member
Can someone give me tips for fighting elphelt? I'm having a lot of trouble fighting against her and I don't want to pay 800 to download her just so I can lab against her. I play ram if that matters. Any help is appreciated.

Does creating private rooms and inviting other players work differently on ps3 than ps4? Trying to get my buddy to play online and he is on ps3 while I'm on ps4. I haven't played online much and I don't understand this whole lobby/zone system too well.

Onemic

Can someone give me tips for fighting elphelt? I'm having a lot of trouble fighting against her and I don't want to pay 800 to download her just so I can lab against her. I play ram if that matters. Any help is appreciated.

From what Dustloop is saying Elphelt is Ram's only bad MU. I can totally see it too.

Does creating private rooms and inviting other players work differently on ps3 than ps4? Trying to get my buddy to play online and he is on ps3 while I'm on ps4. I haven't played online much and I don't understand this whole lobby/zone system too well.
Cross-play invitations are borked. You'll have to give him the room ID.

Rhapsody

Banned
Axl feels so wack in this, but god damn his DP is hilariously good. Probably one of the best DPs I've seen in a fighter.

I've been learning him today. What's the recommended input for TK Axl Bomber?

The one in the input history for his challenges is a bit odd. The inputs I use isn't exactly consistent either.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

The one in the input history for his challenges is a bit odd. The inputs I use isn't exactly consistent either.

Don't ask me, I'm crazy and input stuff the instant I jump manually.

I would imagine it would be 62369

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It won't let you. It's one of those weird ones. I think Makoto in BB had something like that where you had to do a weird input code too? Can't remember.

Believe it or not, I just input those the second I jump lol.

Also let's play some tomorrow, heading to bed now but ended up winning another straight 30 times today. Shit gets boring. Though I fought a great Pot player

Rhapsody

Banned
Believe it or not, I just input those the second I jump lol.

Also let's play some tomorrow, heading to bed now but ended up winning another straight 30 times today. Shit gets boring. Though I fought a great Pot player

Friday at the earliest. I actually don't play on weekdays because of classes and such.

So I basically have to cram fighters during the weekends lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Are people finding that player match is generally better than ranked in terms of connection?

No not really, if you mean lobbies that could just be because you are playing with people that are closer to where you live where ranked kinda just shits people at you

Essay

Sorry I'm late. The recommended input IMO (and in the top American Axl player's opinion) is a 360 starting from forward to up. 69874123HS

I usually do it as a 360 in the other direction (6321478963) because it's essentially the same muscle memory as my old +R I-No BNB's, but this is riskier, since you can get stance if you mess up.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sorry I'm late. The recommended input IMO (and in the top American Axl player's opinion) is a 360 starting from forward to up. 69874123HS

I usually do it as a 360 in the other direction (6321478963) because it's essentially the same muscle memory as my old +R I-No BNB's, but this is riskier, since you can get stance if you mess up.

Guess I'll mess around with it when I get the chance and see whichever works best for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Kimosabae

Banned
No not really, if you mean lobbies that could just be because you are playing with people that are closer to where you live where ranked kinda just shits people at you

Played in lobbies for a few hours today and never had anyone above 5 frame delay. It was mostly 2-3. Ranked, again, was terrible and my win/loss ration reflects it. I figured ranked only put you with players in your region, but I guess everyone that plays ranked must be on wifi or something .

Jawmuncher

I did the story mode a few nights ago.
Really liked how that was handled. Though I will say it felt like it dragged a bit in some places.
I would love to see them do this again though however actually use the engine more so and hell basically just make it a movie. That's what it was just about anyway.

Whenever I search for a player for ranked it gives me a list of like 10 people with 0 bars. Zuh. Every time I want to get into this the online just fucks it all up.

Quickest way to get a match seems to come from making your own lobby.

If you try to join a random one you'll likely end up playing musical chairs for a few minutes before you get an actual match.

I'd stay away from ranked for now if you are experiencing unusually high delay.

Essay

Quickest way to get a match seems to come from making your own lobby.

If you try to join a random one you'll likely end up playing musical chairs for a few minutes before you get an actual match.

I'd stay away from ranked for now if you are experiencing unusually high delay.

Be a good guy and just make a room for 2 when you do this, unless you're willing to host for extended periods. Another guy and I tried to play out a match in three separate rooms in a row and each one closed before we got to our final round.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ranked is slow and pretty terrible if you're bringing up the list of players each time and join from there, but it's been fine for me if I have it search while I do other things.

Azure J

So has the GGXrd footage from KiT this weekend hit Youtube or do I still have to comb through the archives? I'm trying to watch the Elphelt players and realized I don't know what to search for on YT if it's up yet.

Hey guys
If I have the JP game, can I buy the color add-ons from the Hong Kong store and have it work on my copy?

Also random; if I have the JP copy of Gundam Full Boost and try to do the same thing "buy an extra character" from the HK store, will if work on my JP copy?

NEO0MJ

Hey guys
If I have the JP game, can I buy the color add-ons from the Hong Kong store and have it work on my copy?

Also random; if I have the JP copy of Gundam Full Boost and try to do the same thing "buy an extra character" from the HK store, will if work on my JP copy?

If I remember right this should work, at least for Gundam.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The US PS PLUS Colors DLC (for PS4 & PS3) are now up on the SEN Store it seems.

They'll be free to PS PLUS users from 1/13-2/10, so make sure to grab them :)!

Top Bottom