• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Azure J

im ROFL'ing at Alouine's Red Focus

The amount of things I trip over when I play multiple fighters at the same time is too high sometimes. I don't blame him.

The other day I was explaining something to my brother and told him to activate X-Factor when I meant Roman Cancel. :lol

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown azurej. And appreciate link zissou.

All i would do was block then look for a gap to grand viper. Since she cant block and it goes under all her shit at a long range, its a decent way to beat her stuff. If i got her scared and made her cancel out of stance in anticipation to block it, then that was my opening to mount my own pressure and gtfo out of there. However, that is a stupid risky guessing game to play so i appreciate yall chiming in

fader

The amount of things I trip over when I play multiple fighters at the same time is too high sometimes. I don't blame him.

The other day I was explaining something to my brother and told him to activate X-Factor when I meant Roman Cancel. :lol

I wonder if RC can work in Marvel if called X Factor...

Rhapsody

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the breakdown azurej. And appreciate link zissou.

All i would do was block then look for a gap to grand viper. Since she cant block and it goes under all her shit at a long range, its a decent way to beat her stuff. If i got her scared and made her cancel out of stance in anticipation to block it, then that was my opening to mount my own pressure and gtfo out of there. However, that is a stupid risky guessing game to play so i appreciate yall chiming in

She can block in shotgun stance.

Edit: Oh nevermind. Maybe you were talking about canceling out of her level 2 "stance".

Seyavesh

if shes got a grenade primed and not thrown, activate dragon install because the timer continues through cinematics and super freeze

edit: i should add, it forces detonate if you DI the grenade at 2.0 seconds or less and up close you can confirm into a full combo that leads into the tyrant rave ender

her grenade scales the combo a fuckton though for some bizarre reason so if you don't end with tyrant rave you're getting about 140~ guaranteed and no corner oki (because DI will run out)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually you know what, fuck everything else that you could give ky as a buff. Just get rid of the stupid ass landing recovery after Canceled Air Stun Edge.

IbukiLordSA

Really enjoying the game at the moment, didn't think I would get into it as much as I have, enjoying Millia a ton.

Overall the game is just great, my only issue is the online, it's very choppy at times but other than that no issues with the rest of the product.

Just wish I could use my stick with the game :(

ajb1888

Banned
OK Share play is amazing! A friend and I just played a ton of matches together as if we were in the same room. Very fun game! I'll hit the tutorial tomorrow haha

any buddy have a link to frame guides? i know it probably is a dumb question but i think my overall skill is peaked with just my own experience and not knowing games down to their barebones and just winging it. I feel really at a disadvantage especially when i get caught in corner setups and can only block for so long before i get caught in a frame trap.

Sayad

How the hell do you deal with elphelt when she bas you in the corner with shotgun stance. Specifically, what are your options. Im using sol.
Burst. ;p

any buddy have a link to frame guides? i know it probably is a dumb question but i think my overall skill is peaked with just my own experience and not knowing games down to their barebones and just winging it. I feel really at a disadvantage especially when i get caught in corner setups and can only block for so long before i get caught in a frame trap.
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guilty_Gear_Xrd_-SIGN-
Characters list at the bottom of the page, not sure I it's complete though. There's also this in Japanese:
http://wiki.4gamer.net/ggxrd/キャラクター攻略

Kimosabae

Banned
I officially declare Ramlethal as the stupidest fighting game character I've seen since... I don't even know. Insane corner-carry from just about any confirm, damage, neutral dominance, damage, legit corner pressure with corner mixups and resets that are near invisible due to the obfuscating nature of her attack's visuals effects, more damage.

Haven't hated a character this much since Melee Sheik back in the day. I hope at the very least, her corner-carry gets nerf-bombed to hell.

Actually you know what, fuck everything else that you could give ky as a buff. Just get rid of the stupid ass landing recovery after Canceled Air Stun Edge.

I do not understand this shit. Was this in Reload? Has to be some sort of oversight. Granted, without the lag, when it hits at a low enough angle, it's still hella +, but still.

Same thing with j.D. I hated the landing lag in AC. I don't get why the fuck it's there, it unnecessarily puts a ceiling on Ky's play. Not being able to combo after AD j.s, j.H just because I came out of j.D is unintuitive and totally stupid.

I can't think of any changes I would want to Zato. Maybe let his 5H, 6HS, and 2H always chain into 22HS, but that might be too much of a buff for him.

Or maybe
make his command grab render him immune to normal grabs. >_>

I officially declare Ramlethal as the stupidest fighting game character I've seen since... I don't even know. Insane corner-carry from just about any confirm, damage, neutral dominance, damage, legit corner pressure with corner mixups and resets that are near invisible due to the obfuscating nature of her attack's visuals effects, more damage.

Haven't hated a character this much since Melee Sheik back in the day. I hope at the very least, her corner-carry gets nerf-bombed to hell.

I do not understand this shit. Was this in Reload? Has to be some sort of oversight. Granted, without the lag, when it hits at a low enough angle, it's still hella +, but still.

Same thing with j.D. I hated the landing lag in AC. I don't get why the fuck it's there, it unnecessarily puts a ceiling on Ky's play. Not being able to combo after AD j.s, j.H just because I came out of j.D is unintuitive and totally stupid.
Ram is also ridiculously easy to play for all the power she has.

If you do the tutorials for vs. Ram, it says you can block her overheads consistently by holding down-back during the string and just swapping to back with the right timing. I don't have it down consistently, but you might appreciate that.

I've found that the best strategy against Ram is to just not play her game. When she sets up her swords, I move to the other side of the screen and get away from them. It has improved my performance against her, at least.

Sayad

Ram is also ridiculously easy to play for all the power she has.

If you do the tutorials for vs. Ram, it says you can block her overheads consistently by holding down-back during the string and just swapping to back with the right timing. I don't have it down consistently, but you might appreciate that.

I've found that the best strategy against Ram is to just not play her game. When she sets up her swords, I move to the other side of the screen and get away from them. It has improved my performance against her, at least.
Don't think this really works outside that mission, she can delay the low attack. I think the timing for the low and overhead can intersect a little, it help to start blocking high after a certain time but it's not a solid answer that would work every time.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, her ease-of-play for the rewards she gets is probably the thing that bugs me the most. I just didn't mention it because I didn't want to sound too salty.

That string is 2KPP, right?. Generally, I can react to the overhead without using the Challenge Mode method. It's the fact that the shit is +3 for some reason, despite the fact that it can lead to brain dead corner-carry combos that gets me.

Thing is, I don't see how you can not play her game. Hanging back, she can just redeploy H sword to harass you full screen, and there's not much a character like Ky can do force to her come to him without the life-lead. Sword-activation is so subtle in terms of SFX and VFX that it's often hard to even decipher how they're being used. You're trying to close the gap and you're just getting hit.

Yeah, her ease-of-play for the rewards she gets is probably the thing that bugs me the most. I just didn't mention it because I didn't want to sound too salty.

That string is 2KPP, right?. Generally, I can react to the overhead without using the Challenge Mode method. It's the fact that the shit is +3 for some reason, despite the fact that it can lead to brain dead corner-carry combos that gets me.

Thing is, I don't see how you can not play her game. Hanging back, she can just redeploy H sword to harass you full screen, and there's not much a character like Ky can do force to her come to him without the life-lead. Sword-activation is so subtle in terms of SFX and VFX that it's often hard to even decipher how they're being used. You're trying to close the gap and you're just getting hit.
Yeah, a little flash of light when the sword gets activated would be nice. It's hard to keep track of Zato, Eddie, Ramlethal, and two swords all at different places on the screen.

Redeploying costs her an action, so she needs breathing room. If she has both swords out and they aren't near her, she's a short-ranged character without any great tools. The situation should heavily be in your favor. Usually Ram players like to take to the air to try and redeploy the swords (they won't go after you in these situations, usually), so pre-empt that and go for an anti-air.

I'm not saying this plan is perfect, but it has taken me from swearing on the couch while I lose to Ramlethal over and over to winning sometimes.

Azure J

if shes got a grenade primed and not thrown, activate dragon install because the timer continues through cinematics and super freeze

edit: i should add, it forces detonate if you DI the grenade at 2.0 seconds or less and up close you can confirm into a full combo that leads into the tyrant rave ender

her grenade scales the combo a fuckton though for some bizarre reason so if you don't end with tyrant rave you're getting about 140~ guaranteed and no corner oki (because DI will run out)

Seriously though, berry timer has to get fixed. I can't tell you how many lame things have cost me a match despite playing the match correctly. Nothing like getting a move just frame blocked with berry in hand only for someone to activate a cinematic super (in this case my brother just frame blocks a far S, buffers Dragon Install) and get a full combo into KO despite being on the magic pixel.

Tangent: Anyone else have an issue with seeing just how much health you've lost or have left sometimes mid match? The red/orange effects with red also signifying how much you've lost trips me up sometimes. :lol

To some extent, I'm still kinda sad that I can't play this character. I honestly just can't put together a coherent game plan with her despite all these tools. I've had a lot more fun playing her sis than I did when I played her.

spoonztt

Also check out Gun Frame if you have an Android phone.

She's already one of the worst characters in the game and you want her to be worse?

I'm not a fan of gimmicky shit like this.
Have 5K be throw invuln again, make Dolphins safer, better super reversals, make the whale more consistent etc.

EDIT: It doesn't look as bad in the older games cause you can see the projectile hitting you. But the unblockable is more jarring in Xrd since it cuts away to the cinematic of the super and you end up getting hit off screen. If it was intentional maybe they should've included it in the tutorial.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You have a millia avatar and you hate gimicky shit? Your entire character is a gimmick based on oki set play

Hell GG is a gimmicky game in general.

That's just where I draw the line I guess? Millia's setplay is so cheap that I can't call it gimmicky when it's so consistent and oppressive. You don't get to top tier with gimmicks.
GG is gimmicky but it still rewards smart play enough that I enjoy the game.

Edzi

So, lets say I won't be touching this game until March/April due to not having an Arcade Stick... How welcoming do you think the online environment will be by then? Think it'll still be well populated and with a good spread of beginners/advanced players? Or is it looking like the online is slowly filtering all but the more intense players? Just curious what you guys think.

Zissou

Elphelt is some shit. More specifically- pineberry is some shit. I can imagine the devs having the conversation:
Dev A: Let's give her an item she tosses.
Dev B: But Faust already does that.
Dev A: Elphelt's won't be random though- it will always be the same. She'll throw this strawberry up and it can hit people.
Dev B: Ahh- like Faust's hammer?
Dev A: Yeah! But when it lands, it'll sit for a little while and then explode.
Dev B: Like Faust's bomb!
Dev A: Yeah! Except it can't hit Elphelt.
Dev B: Uhhh... put it in?

seriously why am I playing faust... elphelt has better versions of everything he has. time to switch...?

So, lets say I won't be touching this game until March/April due to not having an Arcade Stick... How welcoming do you think the online environment will be by then? Think it'll still be well populated and with a good spread of beginners/advanced players? Or is it looking like the online is slowly filtering all but the more intense players? Just curious what you guys think.

I say it's great to get the concepts of this game down anyway even without stick. I just got one and had the game for a good two weeks. Play better with saturn pad for now but i'll get more out of the stick eventually. there still seems to be new people trickling in so that seems good for now, but having a digital version makes me think it'll have a longer life in community cause the physical print seemed extremely limited.

Sayad

So, how do you nerf Millia without killing her? Looking at her from the previous games, she was mostly nerffed coming into Xrd, it's just that she benefit a lot from Xrd environment. The new RCs make confirming/opening people up much easier than before and this is the biggest buff she got from Xrd.

Nerfing TK Bad Moon, killing Chroming Rose and making her 6K negative on block wouldn't really make her not top tier. Unless they mess with her HS Tandem Top oki she will still remain OP, nerfing it will practically kill her... Was Millia ever not a top/high tier in GG?

The best way to go about it is probably to buff those who need buffs and leave Millia alone. :)

Sayad

Cutting chroming rose time in half might actually end up being a buff. ;p

Most of the time you only need the initial pressure/shenanigan from chroming rose, cutting the time in half only means going back to normal meter gain faster, you will actually start gaining meter normaly before the end of chroming rose combo!

Edit: I think I want to see this being implemented now, we'd see CR being used more if they do this. Meter gain is the main reason why you shouldn't use CR unless you're going for the kill or already have a lot of meter.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Cutting chroming rose time in half might actually end up being a buff. ;p

Most of the time you only need the initial pressure/shenanigan from chroming rose, cutting the time in half only means going back to normal meter gain faster, you will actually start gaining meter normaly before the end of chroming rose combo!

And that's fine

Grifter

Man a tight Leo's bt.214K really blows up answers to his other options.

Does his parry sometimes go into a rejected push-off instead of the auto-counter?

4r5

Man a tight Leo's bt.214K really blows up answers to his other options.

Does his parry sometimes go into a rejected push-off instead of the auto-counter?

bt.214K? You mean his unblockable, bt.214H?

I think Leo's parry must have some sort of attackbox, and if that whiffs, then you get the reject push-off.

So, how do you nerf Millia without killing her?

Hard to say how Ishiwatari will handle balance adjustments. The only point of reference we have is his work between GGXX and #reload. Which was mostly just numbers adjustment. Slash, AC, and +R were all handled by different people with different ideas of what GG is and where it should go.

I think the biggest nerf Millia ever received was in Slash. Her j.H hair-copter got replaced, her throw had no combo followups and was air techable, and her combos got way harder and almost always required a pin.

Ishiwatari is not oblivious to what has happened to the series while he was away, but he is sticking close to his original vision of the game. Millia has kept her post-throw combos and her old combos. But who knows how involved Ishiwatari will be for the remainder of the series. Usual nerf paths for Millia has been to worsen her AA options and/or slow down her air normals. TLDR;Shrug.

Laconic

Banned
bt.214K? You mean his unblockable, bt.214H?

I think Leo's parry must have some sort of attackbox, and if that whiffs, then you get the reject push-off.

Hard to say how Ishiwatari will handle balance adjustments. The only point of reference we have is his work between GGXX and #reload. Which was mostly just numbers adjustment. Slash, AC, and +R were all handled by different people with different ideas of what GG is and where it should go.

I think the biggest nerf Millia ever received was in Slash. Her j.H hair-copter got replaced, her throw had no combo followups and was air techable, and her combos got way harder and almost always required a pin.

Ishiwatari is not oblivious to what has happened to the series while he was away, but he is sticking close to his original vision of the game. Millia has kept her post-throw combos and her old combos. But who knows how involved Ishiwatari will be for the remainder of the series. Usual nerf paths for Millia has been to worsen her AA options and/or slow down her air normals. TLDR;Shrug.

Until he gives her back her sweet, sweet ADC combos, I've zero interest in her.

...even if he fixes all the system issues created within Xrd.

Frosty Faustings VII Day 2! Guilty Gear XRD singles:
http://www.twitch.tv/nobodyexe

By the way, people who play ASW games, if I buy the extra colors, would they carry over to the next "paid" update?

Hahahaha, I'd be very surprised if ASW did anything like that. There's a better chance that the inevitable Xrd Extend will have all of the color DLC (and Leo) included in the package. Then Xrd 2 with the expanded story will take all of that included content from Extend out again and try to re-sell it to you. ASW is absolutely shameless on the DLC front.

FluxWaveZ

Hahahaha, I'd be very surprised if ASW did anything like that. There's a better chance that the inevitable Xrd Extend will have all of the color DLC (and Leo) included in the package. Then Xrd 2 with the expanded story will take all of that included content from Extend out again and try to re-sell it to you. ASW is absolutely shameless on the DLC front.

I guess this is more because of Atlus, but at least Persona 4 Arena Ultimax allowed for DLC purchased in P4A to transfer to P4AU for free.

Top Bottom