• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Zissou

Nah, number one problem new Faust players have is trying to figure out their anti-airs. You're kinda like Claw or Dictator. Your dedicated anti-air (6P) isn't that great, and you need to supplement it with other moves. But afterwards you find out that this sometimes isn't enough. And that's when you figure out that you're better off meeting them in the air. Or better yet, forcing your air game on them / zoning out their jump angles.

Yeah- I need to figure this stuff out. I try to preempt people looking to take to the air with 5K or drill cancel j.H, but smart people seem to know to low profile both and punish it. I need to be smarter and have better reactions.

practice and study.

Mimicry is a great start, you get to see what's possible and then you can experiment from there.

And always pay attention in mirror matches, guy I was playing earlier kept getting me with Sin's air heavy so:
1. Need start using it more since it's very darn effective.
2. Find a way to stop it preemptively.

And try to play around with the other characters too and watch other people use them, I love going up against Sol players (my favorite main but for some reason I do better with Sin) just because it's fun knowing what they're about to do 70% of the time.

Copying without understanding the 'why' doesn't help me too much :p
I've only played against another Faust once- they destroyed me so soundly that they didn't seem to have an interest in continuing to play me, so they left the lobby, haha
T_T

----------------------

Random question: what the fuck governs how projectiles interact with one another? It doesn't seem to be like street fighter where projectiles have a given number of 'hits' which eat away at each other until one comes on top. Nor does it have a durability system like marvel which determines what goes through what. It seems like some projectiles straight up beat other projectiles with no rhyme or reason. Is there just a list of projectiles in order of priority and better ones always straight up beat worse ones or something?

LegatoB

Well, that settles it. I'll be getting game soon then! Anything I should know before hand? I've played Blazeblue and Persona, so I think I have a general idea of how this game works.
The #1 thing someone coming from BB/P4U should watch out for in this game are throws. Throws are 1F and untechable: you avoid them by jumping, spacing yourself out so it's out of range, or throwing them first. You can use them to punish a lot of things, especially on Instant Block, or if the opponent leaves a predictable gap in their blockstring.

The #2 thing is that knockdowns are super legit in this game. There's no quick getup or rolling on the ground; if you get knocked down, you have to deal with the wakeup situation. The reversal window timing is pretty darn tight, too, so if you want a wakeup DP you have to be precise.

4r5

Yeah- I need to figure this stuff out. I try to preempt people looking to take to the air with 5K or drill cancel j.H, but smart people seem to know to low profile both and punish it. I need to be smarter and have better reactions.

I'm not sure how you're trying to setup your anti-jumping pokes, but 5K is more of an anti-IAD than an anti-jumping poke. You could probably just as well use 2S or your 6P to try and tag jumping.

What I see most Faust's I've fought do is to already be in the air before me, raining crap down. Like, you think they're going to jump, so you jump and they do jump; great, now you can use your air-to-air normals. They did not jump? Still fine, you just use your air-to-ground normals and specials instead. Being in the air with Faust is not such a bad place to be. He has excellent air mobility and great air normals and specials.

Copying without understanding the 'why' doesn't help me too much :p
I've only played against another Faust once- they destroyed me so soundly that they didn't seem to have an interest in continuing to play me, so they left the lobby, haha
T_T

When I don't understand the 'why' is exactly when I'll x-copy a player. Playing like them will bring me to the 'why'.

Random question: what the fuck governs how projectiles interact with one another? It doesn't seem to be like street fighter where projectiles have a given number of 'hits' which eat away at each other until one comes on top. Nor does it have a durability system like marvel which determines what goes through what. It seems like some projectiles straight up beat other projectiles with no rhyme or reason. Is there just a list of projectiles in order of priority and better ones always straight up beat worse ones or something?

Some projectiles can not be destroyed. Usually overdrives have this property. Like Venom's Dark Angel. I think Potemkin's FlickDatBack is the only non-overdrive projectile with the indestructible property. When two indestructible projectiles meet, they just pass through each other.

Indestructible projectiles will eat up destructible projectiles without losing any hits.

Destructible projectiles will lose one hit, when they meet other destructible projectiles. A StunEdge and GunFlame will cancel each other out, both are one hit. A ChargedStunEdge will cancel out a GunFlame, and will have two hits remaining afterwards.

In other words, it's like Street Fighter, except with the addition of indestructible projectiles.

Grifter

What are some indestructible non-super projectiles? Off top of my head, I can only think of Leo's (both), Millia's secret garden, and some of Faust's stuff.

I got this game, I suck horribly at it but I love it so much.

Currently learning May.

I'm pretty good at SF4, MxC3, Skullgirls, and other stuff but this game is taking a while to click for me.

I got this game, I suck horribly at it but I love it so much.

Currently learning May.

I'm pretty good at SF4, MxC3, Skullgirls, and other stuff but this game is taking a while to click for me, but damn is the game beautiful and a joy to play.

:c Still waiting for encore to hit PS4 with Beowulf.

that and I really wanna use my Fukua/Cerebella team on someone

Morris

Disco Devil
tfw your elphelt gets fucking bodied bad by a potemkin ._.

I need to lab it up hard and practice some nasty setups or something...

Azure J

- Starting to go even or going on streaks with your opponent after putting a good bit of time into your only character
- Opponent picks someone else
- You get bodied horribly to the point where you wonder if you're actively unlearning basics about both the game and your character

Anybody else have this problem?

Korigama

It seems that a lot of people could use additional match-up experience (myself included, as it's been a while since I've gotten around to playing against anyone). Have there been any lobbies set up here lately?

Zissou

- Starting to go even or going on streaks with your opponent after putting a good bit of time into your only character
- Opponent picks someone else
- You get bodied horribly to the point where you wonder if you're actively unlearning basics about both the game and your character

Anybody else have this problem?

In my experience so far, there is not 'good at GG' but rather, 'good at Faust vs. Sin' etc. It's about learning each MU more than it is learning 'the game'

rookiejet

Playing random Sols is a class in anger management.

edit:
ヽ(#`Д´)ノ
I'm going to kill some kittens and puppies, is what I'm going to do. You can blame Sol, guys.

Zissou

I'm not sure how you're trying to setup your anti-jumping pokes, but 5K is more of an anti-IAD than an anti-jumping poke. You could probably just as well use 2S or your 6P to try and tag jumping.

What I see most Faust's I've fought do is to already be in the air before me, raining crap down. Like, you think they're going to jump, so you jump and they do jump; great, now you can use your air-to-air normals. They did not jump? Still fine, you just use your air-to-ground normals and specials instead. Being in the air with Faust is not such a bad place to be. He has excellent air mobility and great air normals and specials.

When I don't understand the 'why' is exactly when I'll x-copy a player. Playing like them will bring me to the 'why'.

Some projectiles can not be destroyed. Usually overdrives have this property. Like Venom's Dark Angel. I think Potemkin's FlickDatBack is the only non-overdrive projectile with the indestructible property. When two indestructible projectiles meet, they just pass through each other.

Indestructible projectiles will eat up destructible projectiles without losing any hits.

Destructible projectiles will lose one hit, when they meet other destructible projectiles. A StunEdge and GunFlame will cancel each other out, both are one hit. A ChargedStunEdge will cancel out a GunFlame, and will have two hits remaining afterwards.

In other words, it's like Street Fighter, except with the addition of indestructible projectiles.

Thanks again for the tips!

Is there a list of number of hits projectiles have and which ones are indestructable?

robot

Anyone using Bedman? Any tips? Started messing with him last night and REALLY like using him. Think I found my character.

DYLANH24

Neo Member
Okay got em, thanks to people who replied, stupidly bought Sin as I didn't realise you could unlock him but screw it. Really hope the game gets an EU release where stuff like this won't be necessary.

Essay

Anyone know if anything happens when you hit an S ranking in all the Missions or complete every Challenge? Bonus World Bucks?

Rhapsody

Banned
For me, Xrd Faust feels harder to use compared to +R Faust. Drill cancels feel harder while I'm finding it difficult to do a low j.2K since it can whiff if it's too low.

Azure J

Man I just came up with such a fun/stupid block string that I wish could be more consistent. Basically, f.S - Pine Berry overhead toss, run up f.S - 5HS. If I could only use low toss berry, it'd be the revenge of Strider's s.H xx Formation B block string from Marvel. :lol

gunstarhero

Really dumb question - how do you score/earn medals in MOM mode? I've beaten attest 10 guys and still have zero score/medals, even though I'm collecting them during the fight.

Never played GG before, so apologies if this is something obvious...

Sayad

Really dumb question - how do you score/earn medals in MOM mode? I've beaten attest 10 guys and still have zero score/medals, even though I'm collecting them during the fight.

Never played GG before, so apologies if this is something obvious...
Not sure if this is what you're asking for exactly, but here's a basic run down of how MOM works:
- to advance you collect the stars
- you can see who do you have to beat to get a star on the MOM board
- at first, 3 stars will get you to the next level, but later on you'll need more
- the crown icon in the MOM stats bar shows your level, and the star icon shows how many stars you have, they rest after each level
- as you level up, the map get bigger and stars collecting becomes more and more annoying -__-
- you make your character stronger by buying stats and items
- you buy things with the medals you collect during fights
- you can also get items and more medals by breaking treasure chests after each fight

Labolas

Been playing I-no and Chipp and getting my ass kicked mostly. Personally I think I like going to player matches instead of rank. So fun though. I thought that my nostaglia for gg would have worned off by now. I am liking this more than Blazblue

Been playing I-no and Chipp and getting my ass kicked mostly. Personally I think I like going to player matches instead of rank. So fun though. I thought that my nostaglia for gg would have worned off by now. I am liking this more than Blazblue

Agree on both, have more fun with this game than Blazblue and it feels like I'm playing guilty gear on ps2 for the first time all over again. Love this game!

My brother wants this game so we went to 3 different places(target, best buy and gamestop, btw this was without a doubt the worst gamestop ive ever been to. They had little to nothing) and none of them had the game. One of the employees at target told us they never even got the first shipment of the game. But what made my bro really salty tho was that all 3 had a bunch of duck dynastys, especially best buy.

My brother wants this game so we went to 3 different places(target, best buy and gamestop, btw this was without a doubt the worst gamestop ive ever been to. They had little to nothing) and none of them had the game. One of the employees at target told us they never even got the first shipment of the game. But what made my bro really salty tho was that all 3 had a bunch of duck dynastys, especially best buy.

Best bet is amazon. I had trouble finding the game in a store a couple of weeks ago myself. They just straight up got little to none on that first shipment didn't believe it myself til fellow gaffers told me the same.

Lemstar

What platform are you looking for?

Top Bottom