• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Skittles

Finished the tutorial and think I'll go with chipp, Plays extremely similarly to Bang from firsthand impressions. Gonna be a long time before I work out my fighting game rust haha

ShinMaruku

You guys are making it hard to resist buying this game. Nuu I suck at fighting games
Hatoko-Meltdown.jpg

I'll give it a shot.

Absolutely should, I was playing Darkstalkers chronicles a couple weeks before this but GG Xrd completely made me get legit into fighters again to the point I bought a Hori Stick and been getting practice in with it. It is the game right now that has got me into Fighters again, hardcore, and it is damn worth it!!

Grifter

Went to a local tournament and won, but was forced to switch off of my project Elph to get thru a set.

Anyone for an afternoon set?

ss_lemonade

So with the psn 10% discount timer running out, I'm juggling between this and Destiny, 2 extremely different games lol. I like Bungie but I'm not so sure about Destiny. I'm ok with fighting games too but the last time I've played Guilty Gear was on the dreamcast. It looks extremely good though and fun to play.

Oh man...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Same here for me.
So, is it possible to have a good online experience using a Dual Shock 4 only? Also, there will be other version contaning DLC characters and such?

Sure there will most likely be another version a year or two down the road. Then another one a year or two down the road. Then another one a year or two down the road.

4r5

I like Bungie but I'm not so sure about Destiny.

I'm ok with fighting games too but the last time I've played Guilty Gear was on the dreamcast. It looks extremely good though and fun to play.

I don't see how there is any conflict here. You're "not sure about Destiny" and Guilty Gear "looks extremely good and fun to play." Sounds like you want Guilty Gear.

I mean, like ok, you like Bungie. Well, I got bands I l like, but that doesn't mean I buy what ever they shit out their ass.

Grifter

Buncha Ram sets lately. Between her zoning, everything that walls you out when you try to get in, overhead string that's positive, I’m scared at every range.

ss_lemonade

I don't see how there is any conflict here. You're "not sure about Destiny" and Guilty Gear "looks extremely good and fun to play." Sounds like you want Guilty Gear.

I mean, like ok, you like Bungie. Well, I got bands I l like, but that doesn't mean I buy what ever they shit out their ass.
Lol, guess I did sort of answer my own question.

One question though. I currently have a vita and only one controller. Can I use the vita to act as a second controller in this game, seeing as how I could remote connect to the ps4 with it (sorry, I'm a pretty new ps4 owner)?

Sayad

Lol, guess I did sort of answer my own question.

One question though. I currently have a vita and only one controller. Can I use the vita to act as a second controller in this game, seeing as how I could remote connect to the ps4 with it (sorry, I'm a pretty new ps4 owner)?
You can, but the Vita will always have to be the main(account you're using) controller, and you may not want to play a fighter with remote play lag.

Zissou

Dunno what it is about GG, but the game just isn't intuitive to me like marvel is. Hoping it clicks eventually, but whenever I'm playing, I feel like I'm just doing random shit and my opponent is doing random shit too, and then eventually somebody gets a knockdown and might win the match because of it.

ShinMaruku

That is the Achilles heel of fighting game. To learn them you have to spend an inordinante amount of time losing before they click.

4r5

if you can only be good at playing marvel. you aren't really good at playing fighting games.

Maybe you should find an opponent that is more skilled/less random? You might lose 100% of the matches, but if the guy isn't random, then you'd atleast have a set of cases that you can experiment against and study.

When I fight new players, I'll run the same shit on them over and over and over, till they learn how to force me to stop.

Zissou

It's hard to articulate, haha. A game like marvel or SF4 makes some degree of sense to me inherently just because it's easy to comprehend the characters and their gameplans (especially having played around with SFII and other fighters in the 90s as a kid- even though I wasn't playing the games 'properly,' playing them at least got the basic concepts of the genre burned into my brain). Like you can see the space/angles Akuma controls with his fireballs or see Doom shoot his finger lasers and plasma beams and understand how he can look to control the screen with those. Marvel may be a nutty anime-ish game, but a lot of it is a nutty exagerated version of 'standard' fighting game stuff, whereas GG feels straight up nutty (as in, I feel like knowledge from other games cannot be applied nearly as much).

I just wanted to comment on how stupid/hilarious it is that the game gives you the option to use the word "sexy" as part of your title but will censor it anyways which makes it show as "***y"

4r5

Come in with no expectations, and make no assumptions. Let Guilty Gear be Guilty Gear. This is what a lot of Third Strike players had trouble with, when transitioning to Street Fighter 4. These were smart and strong players, but they had a mental block keeping them from ever truly being good at SF4. They wanted too much for SF4 to be 3s, and that introduced a lot of frustration that would block their learning process.

Azure J

As someone who plays just about every fighting game under the sun. I'm going to say you are super wrong.

It's street fighter with air play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JV7ew-csE Watch this match for example

Honestly, Guilty Gear feels like a weird fusion of Smash Bros (managing different types of movement; shields) and Vampire Saviour (shortish combos but gargantuan pressure strings, hyper unique fighting styles). It's not a 1:1 mish-mash but it feels very strongly enough like both.

Zissou

As someone who plays just about every fighting game under the sun. I'm going to say you are super wrong.

It's street fighter with air play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JV7ew-csE Watch this match for example

GG feels like it's in this weird place between SF and marvel. SF is traditional and easy to understand. Marvel is nutty, but so nutty that my mind can kinda let go and understand it for what it is. GG is somewhere in the middle, and I can't wrap my head around it. Like anti-airing for example-

SF: anti-airing is scientific and essential.

Marvel: traditional anti-airing doesn't really matter that much. There's bizarro stuff like mashing jabs that you do with certain characters in certain situations, but whatev.

GG: you've gotta anti-air, but it's a goofy rock-paper-scissors match half the time due to air mobility options.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GG feels like it's in this weird place between SF and marvel. SF is traditional and easy to understand. Marvel is nutty, but so nutty that my mind can kinda let go and understand it for what it is. GG is somewhere in the middle, and I can't wrap my head around it. Like anti-airing for example-

SF: anti-airing is scientific and essential.

Marvel: traditional anti-airing doesn't really matter that much. There's bizarro stuff like mashing jabs that you do with certain characters in certain situations, but whatev.

GG: you've gotta anti-air, but it's a goofy rock-paper-scissors match half the time due to air mobility options.

Uh, Anti-Airing in GG is hardly Rock Paper Scissors. It falls in line with exactly what you said with SF.

Zissou

Uh, Anti-Airing in GG is hardly Rock Paper Scissors. It falls in line with exactly what you said with SF.

In SF, where 'scientific' anti-airing kinda breaks down is against characters who can change their jumps arcs (mostly with dive kicks), and in GG, literally every character can change their jump arc. I mean, sometimes somebody has exhausted all their air options, so at that point, anti-airing is easy enough, but what do you do when they haven't? Gotta kinda guess when to anti-air, no?

What character are you playing? Faust, right?

Yeah- which I'm well aware gives me no excuses for sucking given how good he is, haha.

4r5

Yeah- which I'm well aware gives me no excuses for sucking given how good he is, haha.

Nah, number one problem new Faust players have is trying to figure out their anti-airs. You're kinda like Claw or Dictator. Your dedicated anti-air (6P) isn't that great, and you need to supplement it with other moves. But afterwards you find out that this sometimes isn't enough. And that's when you figure out that you're better off meeting them in the air. Or better yet, forcing your air game on them / zoning out their jump angles.

4r5

60fps 99% of the time. I can count the number of FPS dips I've experienced on one hand. When FPS dips occur, inputs do not seem to get dropped. Though, I have not had enough FPS dips to really know.

For tournaments, we set the in-game graphics mode from quality to processing, to make sure it stays at 60fps. Some players also prefer to play on the tournament stage.

Obv does not look as good as on PS4.

Is this game a good way to get into the Guilty Gear franchise? Lately this game has caught my eye.

If there was ever a time to get in to Guilty Gear, now is the time. This is a new start for the franchise, and you'll be joined by other new players.

Kanra

60fps 99% of the time. I can count the number of FPS dips I've experienced on one hand. When FPS dips occur, inputs do not seem to get dropped. Though, I have not had enough FPS dips to really know.

For tournaments, we set the in-game graphics mode from quality to processing, to make sure it stays at 60fps. Some players also prefer to play on the tournament stage.

Obv does not look as good as on PS4.

If there was ever a time to get in to Guilty Gear, now is the time. This is a new start for the franchise, and you'll be joined by other new players.

Well, that settles it. I'll be getting game soon then! Anything I should know before hand? I've played Blazeblue and Persona, so I think I have a general idea of how this game works.

Being as garbage as I am at this game is painful. HOW DO I GIT GUD?!

practice and study.

Mimicry is a great start, you get to see what's possible and then you can experiment from there.

And always pay attention in mirror matches, guy I was playing earlier kept getting me with Sin's air heavy so:
1. Need start using it more since it's very darn effective.
2. Find a way to stop it preemptively.

And try to play around with the other characters too and watch other people use them, I love going up against Sol players (my favorite main but for some reason I do better with Sin) just because it's fun knowing what they're about to do 70% of the time.

zogged

Ok, trying to play online from Australia is an exercise in futility. After a couple of days trying to connect to anyone the best I could find was a 14 frame delay

Kysen

Okay so I caved and imported it, any advice on how to get the dlc for a guy who lives in the U.K.?
Create a US account and then use a site like offgamers to buy US psn credit. Add the credit to the account and switch user to that account on the ps4. Go to the store and download the dlc. Then set the console as your 'home' console in the account menu. Switch back to your EU account and everything should be there. This is what I did.

Top Bottom