• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Still grinding away at challenges, and not much else. I'm at 430/622 I think. Having not really messed with anime seriously for a long time, I find doing these and the missions are helping me a lot, even if it's not real-world practice.

Kimosabae

Banned
Still grinding away at challenges, and not much else. I'm at 430/622 I think. Having not really messed with anime seriously for a long time, I find doing these and the missions are helping me a lot, even if it's not real-world practice.

So then why do you feel they're helping?

hypernima

Banned
That doesn't stop me. Grind that shit out. If you like the game take the time to look over what you need to get better at.

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right.

I just get to a plateau in Guilty Gear, it's been like this since I first bought it in 2003. Good enough to beat simpletons but can't step to the next level, no matter how hard I lab and study my characters.

So it's a conundrum, I want to get better but my own issues in and out of the game block my mental progression into the deeper layers of this game and other fighters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just get to a plateau in Guilty Gear, it's been like this since I first bought it in 2003. Good enough to beat simpletons but can't step to the next level, no matter how hard I lab and study my characters.

So it's a conundrum, I want to get better but my own issues in and out of the game block my mental progression into the deeper layers of this game and other fighters.

Just keep playing and slamming your face into the wall til it breaks lol :p You need that AHA! moment to click in. Having self doubt prevents that from ever happening.

Not that I'm any good at the game, but at that point of the game, I watch a LOT of videos. If I hit a plateau, it usually means that I developed some kind of habit on any given occasion. When I watch vids, I usually look out for: what does this player do in this instance? Why did that happen? Is it a matchup thing or a universal thing?Then it's back to grinding and changing habits.

Also, know your weaknesses. I know that I'm terrible at oki and spacing, don't really understand the grabbing mechanic, and I drop combos A LOT. Knowing that will help you 1) avoid certain situations and 2) know what to improve on. Conversely, know your strengths to force your opponent to play a certain way.

Also, don't be afraid to lose. I actually like playing against players who are better than me because that helps me learn the game. In randoms, I play them until they leave.

I've got 4 sticks I could be using but no, Sony had to be assholes. I can't do shit with the damn DS4. Can barely make a half circle when facing left.

Making me consider buying the PS3 version.

Azure J

I am going to concede.
I will NEVER be good at this game.

Keep at it man. I was really ghastly looking in the first week of play but between getting a small number of sets in online during my two day PS+ trial, watching match footage and taking a few notes on simple things (blockstrings and pressure with my character, optimal and specific confirms), things are starting to come to light that I would never have thought of before.

Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can't get good.

OceanBlue

Anybody want to play soon? I'll probably be available in about 30 mins

I'll try. Aren't you west coast though? I'm east coast so hopefully it isn't too laggy. I was planning on making food so I wonder what I'm going to do with that lol.

I can understand hypernima's frustration. It's easy to remind yourself that everyone has plateaus and of ways to analyze your play, but if it were that easy to actually do it people wouldn't have plateaus in the first place :V. I'm kinda having a similar problem and even after a couple of months of people telling me what I need to be doing, I still only barely understand how I should be changing my mindset.

I'll try. Aren't you west coast though? I'm east coast so hopefully it isn't too laggy. I was planning on making food so I wonder what I'm going to do with that lol.

I can understand hypernima's frustration. It's easy to remind yourself that everyone has plateaus and of ways to analyze your play, but if it were that easy to actually do it people wouldn't have plateaus in the first place :V. I'm kinda having a similar problem and even after a couple of months of people telling me what I need to be doing, I still only barely understand how I should be changing my mindset.

Yup West coast... I'm available now... What's your psn? Mine is prototype-03

hypernima

Banned
Also, don't be afraid to lose. I actually like playing against players who are better than me because that helps me learn the game. In randoms, I play them until they leave.

I've calmed down a lot and let my frustrations simmer.
I realize I gotta just figure this out.

My problem though is I can't find many players online better than me who are willing to stay for long sets, and my local is a 2 ride away but I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and hop on the 77 if I can get better.

That being said, GAF lobby anyone?

I've calmed down a lot and let my frustrations simmer.
I realize I gotta just figure this out.

My problem though is I can't find many players online better than me who are willing to stay for long sets, and my local is a 2 ride away but I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and hop on the 77 if I can get better.

That being said, GAF lobby anyone?
I could go for a 1v1 set if you want, but I don't want a big lobby. I always lose and get kicked out. :-(

I don't use f.K just because I haven't worked it into my repertoire yet. I am still getting used to the setups I have right now. I plan on incorporating it later. I would like to use [P] strings too. My play time with this game has been unfortunately limited lately.

hypernima

Banned
I don't use f.K just because I haven't worked it into my repertoire yet. I am still getting used to the setups I have right now. I plan on incorporating it later. I would like to use [P] strings too.

1st of all I should know I have to DB invite hell lol

2nd

what I was saying is you should f.K me in your pinwheel combos, I always block low because I know you won't, so you miss out on good damage.

Edit:

ahh ok.
I need to work on how I lock down, it's really rough. I've had too many chances, also i checked my phone cause i thought i was dead, didnt expect that ik lol

Ggs Prototype! I couldn't keep you away or locked down no matter how hard I tried. :(

GGs! My roll isn't as safe as you think it is. If I don't do digitalis (the special move right after the first roll), you should try to mash out of it... ESPECIALLY if I do the 2nd roll. Obviously, easier said than done, but once you get it, my pressure isn't as good.

I've got 4 sticks I could be using but no, Sony had to be assholes. I can't do shit with the damn DS4. Can barely make a half circle when facing left.

Making me consider buying the PS3 version.

Google the titan 1 from console tuner. I bought mine from amazon and have been able to use my new lighted up qanba (360) on my ps4.

Needless to say I'm ecstatic at not having to use my (read destroy) controllers.

OceanBlue

GGs! My roll isn't as safe as you think it is. If I don't do digitalis (the special move right after the first roll), you should try to mash out of it... ESPECIALLY if I do the 2nd roll. Obviously, easier said than done, but once you get it, my pressure isn't as good.

Lol my problem with her roll is like a new SF4 player's problem with jump-ins. I just watch it happen :V. Also the wallstick after Digitalis is scary D:

Do you have any advice for neutral? I felt scared to sit in one spot for too long because dash-in pin is too scary, but I feel like I might have been too predictable in choosing to jump or to move on the ground. I still have no clue about matchups and I'm really bad at understanding why people make decisions in match videos, so I feel like I'm just flailing around right now :(.

Labolas

I'm actually starting to get better with I-No. She is my main now. I dropped Chipp in favor for her because I can actually get damage more easily. Plus, I was losing super hard with Chipp.

1st of all I should know I have to DB invite hell lol

2nd

what I was saying is you should f.K me in your pinwheel combos, I always block low because I know you won't, so you miss out on good damage.

Edit:

ahh ok.
I need to work on how I lock down, it's really rough. I've had too many chances, also i checked my phone cause i thought i was dead, didnt expect that ik lol
Yeah, the IK was my highlight. I've been trying to work those in whenever I get a dizzy. I feel like with [K], Zato should have some kind of IK setup. I've seen Ogawa do it once off of the unblockable reset.

Does "DB" refer to "Down Back"?

Because 22s/H hit Low.
I'm glad you asked this. I got my acronyms mixed up and thought he was referring to FD.

xgre

Neo Member
I just got the game like 2 days ago, I'm hoping to get good. Gonna try online later to see how others play.

Lol my problem with her roll is like a new SF4 player's problem with jump-ins. I just watch it happen :V. Also the wallstick after Digitalis is scary D:

Do you have any advice for neutral? I felt scared to sit in one spot for too long because dash-in pin is too scary, but I feel like I might have been too predictable in choosing to jump or to move on the ground. I still have no clue about matchups and I'm really bad at understanding why people make decisions in match videos, so I feel like I'm just flailing around right now :(.

Use 2S to AA me. It basically shuts my options down. In long distance neutral, I've seen other Rams deploy their swords. Once you have me blocking, you can chase me down for mixups. Honestly, that's all I really know because those are the two things that I look out for against Ram. Sorry, I'm not that much of a help. She does scary amounts of damage though.

I'm actually starting to get better with I-No. She is my main now. I dropped Chipp in favor for her because I can actually get damage more easily. Plus, I was losing super hard with Chipp.

It's the HP ;)

I'm glad you asked this. I got my acronyms mixed up and thought he was referring to FD.

D: What is FD? I've never seen these acronyms before. What game is this acronym originated from?

Sayad

D: What is FD? I've never seen these acronyms before. What game is this acronym originated from?
Faultless Defense!

Digitail only wall stick on counter hit. Millia's option when she roll after block strings aren't real mix-ups without YRC, you just need to delay your attack a bit so if she goes for digitail, you're still blocking, and if she goes for another roll or Dust you hit her out of them.

Millia's standing HS > digitail, if done fast enough is a legit frame trap, you can't jump out of it which means you have 2 or 3 frames window for reversals/BS, so it's better to not contest it, especially online.

Faultless Defense!

Digitail only wall stick on counter hit. Millia's option when she roll after block strings aren't real mix-ups without YRC, you just need to delay your attack a bit so if she goes for digitail, you're still blocking and if she goes for another roll or Dust you hit her out of them.

Millia's standing HS > digitail, if done fast enough is a legit frame trap, you can't jump out of it which means you have 2 or 3 frames window for reversals/BS, so it's better not to contest it, especially online.

HAH! I forgot about Faultless Defense. I should really work on that. In lag, it's pretty bad.

Yeah, you don't want to contest Digitalis most of the time. You just gotta wait a split second and if it doesn't come out, you can contest it. You also didn't recover after my dust air follow up, which gave me a free set up. Mash it out in the air to recover. I don't say this to most people, but you need to press more buttons. You ended up respecting me too much, which you really shouldn't because I'm playing it unsafe as hell. Your swords >> any part of my hair.

Yeah I'm having the same issues right now. Its bad for me because I can't really play during the week due to work, so I really can't go into training mode or play matches until the weekend.

The worst part is trying to find people online who know how to play their character. When I finally find someone to play they play a match or two then leave. This is probably the case in most fighters, but it just seems harder to find and play good people in this game. Hell, I still fight people who refuse to block on wake up.

The biggest issue I have is maintaining pressure as Potemkin. After knockdown I'm always doing the same oki over and over again, even though I go through training mode and practice different shit. Its a habit I'm trying to kill but it keeps coming back. I just can't start (and maintain) offense against good people in this game.

Top Bottom