• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Rhapsody

Banned
I've tried to join twice and it's given me "Connection lost" errors.

*sigh* Guess they haven't fixed their network system, in regards to the lobbies. Still a mess.

I suppose you can try making the lobby

Edit: Ah, I'm getting the same error. Oh well. I have to go grab dinner. GGs everyone.

FluxWaveZ

I suppose you can try making the lobby

Alright, just created a lobby in the room itself. Tried joining that room repeatedly and it'd give me the same error. Kinda think I should have just went with the PS3 version if I knew it was going to be like this.

Edit: Alright, GGs wait... lack thereof, heh. I'm still frustrated at how they messed it up after BBCP and P4AU.

Lost the connection after the first match. Not seeing the lobby now.

Are you not available to play anymore? We can try seeing if it'll connect if one of us hosts.

Phatmac

Got the game this weekend and have been playing it non stop. Glad to see that it's still active. I'm tempted to buy the dlc characters since I'm liking it so much. My psn is blazeluminos so add me if you want!

GGs. Close matches; I started doing worse after you found out that I was weak to (Elphelt's) Dusts, heh.

True, your defense was otherwise on point so i had to pull out something lol. Anyways got any tips for me?

The only thing I have for you is that some of the things I was doing were unsafe enough to be crouching punch punished, and pretty much every character can combo from crouching punch into combo (I assume the same is for Zato). I say this as a generalization because most of the characters fastest move is their crouching punch.

Anyways gg's I need to work on my hit confirms that's for sure.

FluxWaveZ

True, your defense was otherwise on point so i had to pull out something lol. Anyways got any tips for me?

Thanks for the tip. I've got a lot to improve, and hit confirms and proper Eddie control are big ones (negative edging still eludes me). Punishing properly, as you note, is another; the pacing of this game still messes with me, but I'm slowly getting a feel for it.

For you? Hm. I guess this would be Zato specific, but I think you were getting hit too much with Eddie's AA move (S shadow) and by the drills. For the former, you were teching way too predictably in the air, so I could often follow up with his air unblockable reliably. You'd have to be more wary when he's underneath you, and either use Faultless Defense to block it, delay your tech to try to avoid it or tech towards me and not neutrally in the air (this one messes with me particularly, because all of a sudden Eddie is out of place and the opponent's in my face).

For the drills, you were standing up to block too much when I would knock you down, so they would successfully hit low too often. My mix-up game was really poor, and pretty much the only times I would try to land an overhead was when Eddie was out and I was using his buzz saw move. That's when I would then try to land a 6K. Other than that, you could have pretty much blocked low the whole time, though I guess this piece of advice won't particularly work when I get better at this (still, it's probably a good idea to block low on wake-up when Zato is relatively far from you because of drills).

Thanks for the tip. I've got a lot to improve, and hit confirms and proper Eddie control are big ones (negative edging still eludes me). Punishing properly, as you note, is another; the pacing of this game still messes with me, but I'm slowly getting a feel for it.

For you? Hm. I guess this would be Zato specific, but I think you were getting hit too much with Eddie's AA move (S shadow) and by the drills. For the former, you were teching way too predictably in the air, so I could often follow up with his air unblockable reliably. You'd have to be more wary when he's underneath you, and either use Faultless Defense to block it, delay your tech to try to avoid it or tech towards me and not neutrally (this one messes with me particularly, because all of a sudden Eddie is out of place and the opponent's in my face).

For the drills, you were standing up to block too much when I would knock you down, so they would successfully hit low too often. My mix-up game was really poor, and pretty much the only times I would try to land an overhead was when Eddie was out and I was using his buzz saw move. That's when I would then try to land a 6K. Other than that, you could have pretty much blocked low the whole time, though I guess this piece of advice won't particularly work when I get better at this (still, it's probably a good idea to block low on wake-up when Zato is relatively far from you because of drills).

Yep thanks for this, tbh you are like the 3rd zato I've played ever, so It took me a long ass time to figure out anything going on at all haha. With Elphelt I'm so used to rushing down I need to work on my defense a bit more.

BTW do you remember that double KO game we had? I felt so bad after that game like I robbed you haha.

Edzi

Thanks to that psn sale, I'm finally playing some GGXrd. This game is way more fun than I thought it'd be, even though i'm utter garbage so far. :( Surprised at how it easy it was to pick up the basics, even with a controller.

FluxWaveZ

BTW do you remember that double KO game we had? I felt so bad after that game like I robbed you haha.

Ha, that was a cool moment, but I had to shake my head when it happened. That Danger Time moment we had was pretty silly, too, though I guess Danger Time is never not silly.

Edzi

Man, do people just not play ranked in this game? It seems like the majority of players are level 1-2, but they're definitely NOT beginners.

Essay

Man, do people just not play ranked in this game? It seems like the majority of players are level 1-2, but definitely experienced.

Yeah, ranked is frustrating to find good connections in. There's a glitch where it can't distinguish between 4 bar connections and 0 bar connections in the preview.

FluxWaveZ

Man, do people just not play ranked in this game? It seems like the majority of players are level 1-2, but they're definitely NOT beginners.

Yeah, in this game more than most, a player's level will mean absolutely nothing in regards to their actual skill. I used to be able to find a Ranked match pretty reliably through the "entry" system, but now I have an easier time going into open player lobbies.

Sayad

The whole top row really since they're all primarily rushdown

but I wouldn't label Ky's playstyle street fighter like
Not because of the rush down, but the footsies and spacing game he can play, along with fireball zoning, basically, a lot off SF fundamentals transfers well into his play style.

I'm thinking to buy the games because of the valentine sale on psn right now and I see from the dlc there are 3 dlc charactes, Elphelt, Leo and Sin. can they all be unlocked from playing the game or do you have to buy them? also, are they worth it?

CPS2

Glad to be playing Xrd finally and i like the game, but online was actually worse than i expected, which is why i didn't get it at launch. The game isn't officially out in Aus but there was like nobody at all playing it. A couple of people came into a lobby but didn't type anything in the chat and didn't join any matches. If anyone from Aus or NZ wants to give it a go my psn thing is Triple_Dip

Sayad

I'm thinking to buy the games because of the valentine sale on psn right now and I see from the dlc there are 3 dlc charactes, Elphelt, Leo and Sin. can they all be unlocked from playing the game or do you have to buy them? also, are they worth it?
You can unlock Sin in the game, the other two are DLC only. Elphelt was free around launch as an early adapters bonus, though now you'd have to pay for her and Leo.

Glad to be playing Xrd finally and i like the game, but online was actually worse than i expected, which is why i didn't get it at launch. The game isn't officially out in Aus but there was like nobody at all playing it. A couple of people came into a lobby but didn't type anything in the chat and didn't join any matches. If anyone from Aus or NZ wants to give it a go my psn thing is Triple_Dip
You probably want to check the nearest lobby with decent population, if there are other Australians playing they might be there! Maybe make a room called Australia and wait to see if anyone with a decent connection show up.

Kimosabae

Banned
Gawd, Dustloop sucks. You have this new, great game, that's popping' and the general forums are dead as fuck. Everything's concentrated in the character forums and I hate that.

Gawd, Dustloop sucks. You have this new, great game, that's popping' and the general forums are dead as fuck. Everything's concentrated in the character forums and I hate that.
Smashboards is the opposite, and I think that sucks.

Then there is SRK, which just plain sucks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

But why would people talk about their characters on the general forums? People tend to post on forums and such for advice.

Rhapsody

Banned

The problem is a lot of players end up just copying what they see in videos without doing real sort of discussions (like on matchups). Sort of shows that people are copying without full understanding on what's being done. There's also the fact that not enough people are asking questions to start a discussion.

I suggest using Twitter if you haven't. There's a lot of good info there among some players that don't get posted on forums.

Edit: Oh wait, general forums? I wouldn't go there for info. Just stick with the character forums.

Kimosabae

Banned
But why would people talk about their characters on the general forums? People tend to post on forums and such for advice.

There's way more to talk about than just character strats, though. It's a new game. Someone started a thread about Blitz Shield and it got, like, 5 replies. The general discussion and Tier threads are mucked up by people talking about the patch (like seriously, why do you give two fucks about the patch right now, when if you're from the West, you're relatively bad at the game you have now). I just feel there should be way more discussion on the forums regarding the game in general.

I dunno, it's kind like going to a party and different types of people have segregated themselves into separate rooms in the house, and the only time there's any cross-pollination is when someone's passing through the living room to get to the bathroom.

I took a little break from this game because things came up but if anyone wants to play me, it's GiygasXLR on PSN and I'm in Austin, TX. I'm also playing on ps4 if that matters. I tried searching using player match but I got no hits, so might as well try here.

FluxWaveZ

Just saw 8 different Zato vs. May matches with different players, because I'm having trouble in that MU, and each one ended with Zato losing. Heh, guessing that May might have an advantage there. Her dolphin and beach ball crap really messes with Eddie.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hey guys new player here, any venom peeps out there with tips or advice on how to main him?

Like Q mentioned, try to get some ideas from watching Fino. Also blackSnake, a US Venom player, is good to watch too. Probably the best Venom in the US. Lots of good pressure and also creative use with Bishop Runout.

Top Bottom