• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Vic_Bast

I'm pretty much the same as Dunkley above - casual player, will play a lot more single player than most, loved Blazblue but never got really good at it. So I picked this up on sale but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The problem is I don't have a stick for PS4 yet. How awful is the dualshock for fighting games, and this one in particular?

And speaking of sticks, do PS3 sticks work with a PS4? Want to buy one but I don't want to spend a lot on something brand new.

Same for me, I bought it yesterday and tried some characters on challenge mode. So far I found playing with a dualshock 4 pretty difficult.

Sayad

VF is where the term comes from. It refers to how most mixup situations, the mixup options do not occur on the same frame. For example, the possibility of a low may occur during a certain window of time, and the possibility of a high occurs during a different window of time that does not overlap with the window for a low. So if you understanding the timings right, you simply block low during which a high could never occur, and vice versa.

And then other communities imprecisely understood this to mean some sort of alternating/mashing between high and low guard, and then it stuck.
Looking it up, KoF alone use the term for two different techniques, lol. One for alternating between standing and crouching gaurd as fast as possible after blocking to keep the block stun property and avoid frame trap grabs(this obviously started as a bug, I think in KoF97, but was implemented on purpose later on, might be the reason why you can combo into grabs in KoF), while the other is doing it in rhythm with hops to block during hops pressure.

Edzi

Man, I'm getting really frustrated with hosts just closing their rooms without warning while people have a match in session. The few times I've hosted I've always left a message that I was closing shop and let the ongoing matches finish.

Finally playing it more, and I'm really liking Elphelt a lot. Fun as hell. Seriously, her instant kill is so fucking hilarious and cute.

yea sure: search id is 6uhl pass:1234

edit: couldn't figure out how to type in chat lol.

ggs prototype. I was about to call too, gotta sleep soon. man can't do much against millia once I'm stuck in the corner

GGs... Yeah millia's goal is to corner you so that's definitely a place where you don't want to be. Although you gave me a little bit too much respect so I got away with a few things ;)

GGs... Yeah millia's goal is to corner you so that's definitely a place where you don't want to be. Although you gave me a little bit too much respect so I got away with a few things ;)

yea, couldve been the lag, but was definitely blocking a lot especially since I was getting counterhit by stuff I shouldn't have. I really shouldn't have given you all those dusts though lol. That really kept getting me for some reason

Finally playing it more, and I'm really liking Elphelt a lot. Fun as hell. Seriously, her instant kill is so fucking hilarious and cute.

I've dubbed Elphelt the husbando thief, her instant kill on Ky gets me every time.

could you imagine if that's how marriage worked, your wife picks and and if she kicks your behind you have to sign the certificate...

Are all inputs becoming more leniant? I thought it was just dash inputs. I feel like inputs are fine in general. More strict than I am used to, but I can adapt.

yea, couldve been the lag, but was definitely blocking a lot especially since I was getting counterhit by stuff I shouldn't have. I really shouldn't have given you all those dusts though lol. That really kept getting me for some reason
"She is backing off! - fuck!"

Sayad

Are all inputs becoming more leniant? I thought it was just dash inputs. I feel like inputs are fine in general. More strict than I am used to, but I can adapt.
It might be fine for sticks, but moves not coming out because you skipped a single input during a half circles motion is a bit harsh if you're on a controller.

Kimosabae

Banned
I bought the PS4 version and started messing with the pad. Hadn't played on a pad since Vanilla SF4 came out 6 years ago. I think the PS4 pad is great and I was able to do just about everything I could do on stick on pad. I remember a Sol pad player telling me he couldn't do Dust loops because they were "impossible" on pad and I actually found them easier on pad because double tapping was easier. In fact, it made my stick double taps better, because I was able to get a better sense of how quickly I needed to press the button. So my Dustloop performance has improved overall.

I missed my diagonals at times, but I have that problem on stick at times too; which I rectify by just paying more attention to it.

pad >>>>>> stick. Only character I'm not sure I'd be able to pad play without button binding/remapping is Eddie.

There's Crossbuy between the PS3 and PS4 versions, right? Because after signing in on the PS4 version, I have nothing unlocked.

There was quite a bit of lag... 6-8 frames or so, so that's probably it. Millia's dust can be tricky because she can feign a rushdown since she rolls back. I should stop doing that though since she has unreactable high/low mixups.

I got this game on sale. It's gorgeous and is very smooth.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I need to get a fightstick.

Which means you don't lol.

If your not already used to an arcade stick, getting one out of the blue will not help at all. Once you know what your doing, then it might be a good idea to try one if you are super curious about it.

If your not already used to an arcade stick, getting one out of the blue will not help at all. Once you know what your doing, then it might be a good idea to try one if you are super curious about it.
Are there any good videos out there about whether you should play with a pad or a stick?

FluxWaveZ

Every Ogawa vid ever.

To be fair, though, even I know that's heavily on a character-to-character basis. Puppet characters always tend to require a fight stick to play effectively, while I'm sure most of the cast would be playable just fine with a controller, if that's what someone was used to.

Sayad

Another example of "you wont be playing this character with a pad" is pre-Xrd I-No. From playing with both pads and sticks, off the top of my head:

- Double tap motions are easier with pads(long as you're not double taping a diagonal direction), I think it's safe to say a lot of people feel this way too by looking at the amount of pad players in MK, a lot of which play other games with sticks.
- Charge characters are easy to play with pads at an entry level but the more technical charge stuff aren't very pad friendly. Things like dash ultra, multiple charge buffering and charge partitioning are much easier with a stick.
- On pads, the only buttons you can hold comfortably are shoulder buttons, so playing characters like Zero, Vergile, Zato, etc... Require remapping buttons, though Zato might be a serious issue for pads since you'd have to hold more than one button at times.
- Piano-ing, plinking and generally, well timed pressing of more than one button at once that aren't next to each others are very hard for me on a pad, though some top players seem to be pretty consistent with them, mad respect for Valmaster.

Playing Millia in Xrd with a pad, the only thing I can think of that would be easier with a stick is pressing 99 for air jump cancel into instant air dash, but that's just for comfort, since 96 works just fine with pads. Also, my micro dashing will probably be a little worse with a stick.

Anybody going to Winter Brawl 9 this weekend for GG?

edit: played a shitton of games online today My Elphelt is really starting to get her shit down.

NEO0MJ

And even if you get a fightstick take some time to really get into it. When I bought my first stick I dropped it for a while as it was so disorienting compared to a pad but now I'm so used to playing with arcade sticks I can't play with a pad anymore.

Essay

Another example of "you wont be playing this character with a pad" is pre-Xrd I-No.

Montreal's veteran I-No plays pad sans macros and has since at least Slash. He does well too, and placed 2nd at UMAD in 2013. By the end of +R, the only thing that he wasn't doing that I was doing was the j.D FDC, which might still pose a problem in Xrd.

For sure. I was trying to find you on steam and PSN but you were never there >.<

Where do you live, Proto? If you're in the states we probably won't be able to play.

I live in socal. Also, if you're on PS3, unfortunately, you won't be able to see me on since I'm on PS4. If you have a smartphone, you could always use the PSN app.

Are there any good videos out there about whether you should play with a pad or a stick?

I don't know if there is anything about should or should not, but it certainly will not make you better at the game to simply get one. It's always personal preference. A lot of people who jumped to sticks when SF4 came out probably think pads are a nightmare by this point simply because they are used to the change and that's ultimately what it comes down to.

My personal advice to people looking to buying a stick is to have a good understanding of the fighting game they are buying it for first. If you are really into the game and in turn other fighting games especially (since sticks are expensive) it can be worth it to try them. It takes time to adjust to the change but if you use them regularly it becomes easy pretty fast. Won't be like... an hour after you start using it, but after a few hours/weeks of using them its second nature.

NEO0MJ

I live in socal. Also, if you're on PS3, unfortunately, you won't be able to see me on since I'm on PS4. If you have a smartphone, you could always use the PSN app.

I can also use my PSV to message. Still, because you live in Socal we probably can't play. If you were east coast and the stars aligned it might have been possible.

It's just preference if you like pad or stick. I think Fanatiq uses a pad for UMvC3 and runs MSS. I prefer the stick only because of the button lay out. Otherwise, I'd still be playing on a pad.

Vic_Bast

Tried I-No for some hours on mission/practice and found her really cool to play. Which JP/USA players should I watch replays for some strategies?

Top Bottom