• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Edzi

Okay, I need some tips... I'm playing Leo, and I keep getting paired with Axels tonight... What the hell man, I don't' know what to do. Full screen combos, and he keeps doing that stance where he spins his weapon and can shoot out a super quick low/high move from full screen. When that happens, I'm just stuck. Completely stuck. He just waits for me stop blocking to try to move and boom, I'm hit and a new combo begins. What are my options here?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Okay, I need some tips... I'm playing Leo, and I keep getting paired with Axels tonight... What the hell man, I don't' know what to do. Full screen combos, and he keeps doing that stance where he spins his weapon and can shoot out a super quick low/high move from full screen. When that happens, I'm just stuck. Completely stuck. He just waits for me stop blocking to try to move and boom, I'm hit and a new combo begins. What are my options here?

After upi block one of his stance chains, crouch jab. It'll hit the move in its recovery.

Make use of your Slash fireball.

Dont forget your blitz shield

Once you knock him down you can just go ham

Edzi

After upi block one of his stance chains, crouch jab. It'll hit the move in its recovery.

Make use of your Slash fireball.

Dont forget your blitz shield

Once you knock him down you can just go ham

The chain has a hitbox? o.o This changes everything.

guys...I made a monster
Qc8jybN.jpg

for Layout:
P S HS
K _ D

I might try swapping to
P S D
K HS

Anyone else want the option to use the casual dress Sin and crew gave Ramlethal as a costume option; I can't get over how adorable she looks in it.

oh and the full jacket option for Sol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
for Layout:
P S HS
K _ D

This layout is the truth and just makes the most sense to me. Moving the D in works as well. The main thing on it is the P and K being lined up that way. A lot of stuff goes from K starters or P starters but not often into each other.

And with 6p being important and typically followed by a S or HS it being lined up makes sense too xD

At least this is what I've mentally convinced myself of :p
Punch is also above K on pad

Sayad

Would love to see it, but a new costume in this game is a lot of work, they can't just drop the new skin on the character and it's ready to go like in SF4/Tekken.

Though I'm surprised ASW didn't try to sell small items you could put on the character. Things like emblems, badges, hair pins, etc... They'd be pretty easy to make, and would probably sell better than color sets. Seeing the random texts and stupid things(like license plates >__> ) on characters pre-release, I thought those are probably there so they can be customized.

so now that my cabinet can do PS4, I need to start playing XRD, and need to pick a main

Was thinking chipp since he was my main years ago on XX, but I just ran through arcade mode as elphelt and she seems like a lot of fun. decisions decisions

NEO0MJ

Though I'm surprised ASW didn't try to sell small items you could put on the character. Things like emblems, badges, hair pins, etc... They'd be pretty easy to make, and would probably sell better than color sets. Seeing the random texts and stupid things(like license plates >__> ) on characters pre-release, I thought those are probably there so they can be customized.

Maybe the engine didn't provide the flexibility needed? Of course, it could just be that ASW is lazy or extremely protective of their designs, but is such a thing possible?

And I still wonder why she wears a license plate.

Was thinking chipp since he was my main years ago on XX, but I just ran through arcade mode as elphelt and she seems like a lot of fun. decisions decisions

Or you can try a unique, magnificent character such as Bedman.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe the engine didn't provide the flexibility needed? Of course, it could just be that ASW is lazy or extremely protective of their designs, but is such a thing possible?

And I still wonder why she wears a license plate.

It's a reference to the original zato voice actor's death.

he was born January 28th

LegatoB

I use Type D, aka the old console version default layout. I never played Gear in Japanese arcades, only ever on consoles. American cabs for GG always had even more bizarre and twisted layouts than the rainbow. Even once I got a stick, that was the layout I was already familiar with. Why change?

If you don't know what layout you'd like, try a couple and see what clicks with you.

I like D in the bottom center because it's easier to hold a button with my thumb than it is with my pinky or ring finger at that angle.

Kimosabae

Banned
PSA:

If you plan on playing with locals or at tournaments, do everyone a favor and play default.

This is assuming you're new to GG.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah the button config's on the CS screen but people forget all the time and it just makes casuals run smoother. Granted, it's not as annoying as, say, SF4, but still.

Casuals are smoother when everyone's on the same page. Just gotta get rid of those scrubby pad/hitbox/batop players and we're set.

gutabo

I use type E. I used type A a long time ago but the only arcade that got XX around here used type E so I switched and that was it.

Edit: I didn't know that to get the fastest hamerfall break possible, you have to press H and P at the same time. The more you know!

Marz

I use

P K S

HS D

Easier to wrap my head around coming from SF and using a similar layout in Marvel.

I also have it like that in BlazBlue.

I use

P K S

HS D

Easier to wrap my head around coming from SF and using a similar layout in Marvel.

Blazblue is the only one that has ever just felt natural to me

A B C
D

After playing a lot of Persona 4 Arena, I've been thinking of swapping Dust to a 2 key input. I never got around to checking if it would allow that though

Sayad

It's not the engine, but the way they make the characters:

Animation: Other games left some hair/cloth movements for the engine to handle on its own. Everything in Xrd is handled by the animator, skirts, dresses, capes, hair, even boobs are hand animated
sorry ;p
, frame by frame. Not to mention Xrd animation is very rich, tones of tiny details you wont be seeing in other fighters.

Lighting: there's no environmental light in Xrd, all the shadows you see in the backgrounds are painted textures(except shadows casted on the ground by the characters, which look horrible), and every character have their own light sources around them to make their shading looks as good as possible and more anime like, this is also done frame by frame to fit each pose:
With environmental light(this is what you'd see in most other cell shaded games):
This is after missing around with light sources around the characters to make the shading looks exactly how they want to:
With a new costume, you'd need to go through all the characters animations, editing those light sources to make the shading fits the new costume.

Model swaps: this is a big problem for some characters, you'd have to redo all the models which the new costume appear in. Faust, hatless Millia or a Zato costume is just not worth the effort:

A lot of work basically, might be about 30% or so of the work needed to make a new character. If we do end up seeing costumes in Xrd, they wont be cheap, probably $4 for a single costume.

4r5

The way characters are made ensures that Robo-Ky's transition to Xrd will have all the head/limb swaps I could ever hope for.

I use

P K S

HS D

I've been trying to think about my layout as similar to Marvel but eh.

Having K on the top row feels really awkward as well.

I'm sorta comfortable with

P S HS
K _ D

Grifter

Anyone been playing Potemkin? Been digging into him to drill some basics and playing my buddy's Venom. I'm at a loss for real answers in this match and I'm not winning if I can't corner him. It's hard to flick balls when they're coming at different speeds and angles and he's right behind them, and blocking the pressure just lets him cancel into balls to more stuff.

Rhapsody

Banned
Now THAT's a Guilty Gear character.

So, I'm slightly confused... is Xrd getting a new character on that date?
No. It's sort of tradition they do on some GG OSTs where it has some unknown girl on it. GGX had some girl in Sol clothing, Sound Collection had a girl in I-No clothing, now it's Dragon Install.

Kimosabae

Banned
Anyone been playing Potemkin? Been digging into him to drill some basics and playing my buddy's Venom. I'm at a loss for real answers in this match and I'm not winning if I can't corner him. It's hard to flick balls when they're coming at different speeds and angles and he's right behind them, and blocking the pressure just lets him cancel into balls to more stuff.

I'm buy no means an expert, but I see this match a lot. It's a standard zoner v. grappler matchup. Don't try too hard to get in during neutral. Patience wins, but you have to be able to seize opportunities, because if the Venom's any good, there won't be many.

Thing with Pot, is that he gains insane meter for just walking forwards, so when you do get an opportunity, you'll have the meter to make the most of it. Make sure you're Just Guarding balls, as that will increase your meter gain substantially when you do start moving forward. Walk forward, walk back a bit, walk forward some more. Don't forget about Tiger Knee ICBM as a tool, especially when you have meter for the YRC.

When Venom jumps, and he will, because he has to be concerned of Slidehead, have it waiting for him when he lands (keep in mind that he can stall with Ball sets and Mad Struggle or Double Jump. You still have to make a read).

Make sure you're practicing your Just Guards during Venom's pressure strings. You'll get blown up until you get good at it, but it's an invaluable skill that will take your Pot far, generally.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will add more.

No. It's sort of tradition they do on some GG OSTs where it has some unknown girl on it. GGX had some girl in Sol clothing, Sound Collection had a girl in I-No clothing, now it's Dragon Install.

:(

That would have been a perfect Xrd Millia design.

:(

It's probably just Bridget. ;)

But... dem titties doe.

I'd play him.

Top Bottom