• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Sayad

Montreal's veteran I-No plays pad sans macros and has since at least Slash. He does well too, and placed 2nd at UMAD in 2013. By the end of +R, the only thing that he wasn't doing that I was doing was the j.D FDC, which might still pose a problem in Xrd.
Interesting, then again I would have never imagined someone using Chun's lightning legs loops so consistently while on a pad, yet Valmaster is doing it more consistently than most people on sticks.

Latif did pretty well with Zato on pad.

I don't see anything aregarding I-no that would make me require an arcade stick
The general HCB-F inputs are annoying with a controller, her HCL FRC stuff and FD cancel are much more comfortable/easier with a stick... Did you play C-Viper with a controller?

Kimosabae

Banned
The general HCB-F inputs are annoying with a controller, her HCL FRC stuff and FD cancel are much more comfortable/easier with a stick... Did you play C-Viper with a controller?

No, but I did practice her on pad a bit, since at the time, I was flip-flopping on whether or not I wanted to stick with stick, since the transition was so frustrating (I picked up Viper because I knew she was difficult and figured that would aid my stick training in the long run). IIRC, The only thing I couldn't accomplish with Viper on pad was naked, rapid fire TK cancels. At least, not without some finagling with macros. I wanted to stick with default, so I stuck with stick.

As for HC motions - I'm of the opposite inclination. I find them easier to do on pad. I almost gave up on stick completely because there was a time I really wanted to play SSF4 Makoto (I was heavily influenced by Flash Metroid), but I couldn't do Kara-Kara on stick for the life of me. On pad, it's relatively easy. Stick is still inconsistent for me till this day, no matter what motion I use.

Maybe my thumbs are larger and flatter than others or something? I don't think I have large hands, though. I just find it strange that people struggle with motions on pad - I feel like I have to try to miss inputs if I'm rolling my thumb along the directions, proper. Anytime I miss a corner input, I know it's because I didn't roll my thumb.

Alucrid

Banned
hm, looking for some advice as to who i should main before i start mom / online

• rushdown / zoning
  • can't play charge characters
  • can't play too complex characters (i.e. zato and his demon firend / venom and his balls
  • terrible at long combos
  • played cammy sf4, yukiko p4a, wolvie/taskmaster/okami mvc3
  • thinking milla, maybe sol, possibly i-no
  • i heard the bunny dlc girl fires guns, any fun using as a zoning character?

• rushdown / zoning
  • can't play too complex characters (i.e. zato and his demon firend / venom and his balls

Try ramlethal

Rhapsody

Banned

• rushdown / zoning
I wouldn't say Elphelt, the girl with the guns, is really a zoner. She has really strong rushdown though.

Your choices of Sol and I-No aren't bad. The latter might have a little bit of a learning curve, but you might get used to it. I would suggest looking at Faust too. Great zoning tools, but he can play a little rushdown too after the knockdown. Even from far away, his buttons are pretty oppressive too. Really easy combos as well.

Alucrid

Banned
Try ramlethal

The whole setting up sword things seemed a bit too much for me

I wouldn't say Elphelt, the girl with the guns, is really a zoner. She has really strong rushdown though.

Your choices of Sol and I-No aren't bad. The latter might have a little bit of a learning curve, but you might get used to it. I would suggest looking at Faust too. Great zoning tools, but he can play a little rushdown too after the knockdown. Even from far away, his buttons are pretty oppressive too. Really easy combos as well.

Ah, I thought guns would mean that lol. I hadn't played with Faust too much so I'll have to give him a go in training and see how he stacks up. I did like his normals though.

The whole setting up sword things seemed a bit too much for me

Ah, I thought guns would mean that lol. I hadn't played with Faust too much so I'll have to give him a go in training and see how he stacks up. I did like his normals though.
Her sword setups are brain dead.

Not to sound like im stroking my own epeen here but I feel so fucking good right now. Just double perfected 2 different people in a row in the same lobby.

Its not like they were bad or anything since we were having close games earlier but goddamn I FEEL GOOD brahs.

gutabo

Ok my neighbour got Xrd, time to finally get some training! My potemkin and Venom are crap now, I'm still playing AC and not really using YRC nor blitz shield. I still have to also adapt to the character changes(i.e. Pot's 2S not sucking people, the new 6K and the Hammerfall cancels and Venom's new formations and the loss of the dust ball and dubious curve and general changes in balls) Any tips and/or links to tutorials on their changes/new combos? Yes I've been to Dustloop, my old account(same name as here) seems to have dissapeared some years ago :(

Anyone know Zato's optimal follow-up to 5D in a corner when going for an unblockable reset? I've found 3 different follow-ups that lead to a perfect unblockable on my own, but I'm assuming there are more options.

Also, it is slightly annoying that 2D doesn't consistently knock down against aerial opponents. :p

is the game gonna receive anymore dlc characters or are they stick us with an xrd#2 super phantasma

things don't feel right without baiken or jam

We're probably done with DLC characters until the next update.
I assume this to be true as well.

Hopefully they don't make changes "just to make changes" like with BlazBlue. I don't need each iteration to be radically different. Just get rid of Danger Time and remove the slowdown on YRC so it isn't a neutral tool.

We're probably done with DLC characters until the next update.

I don't think I'll be buying the next iteration of Xrd if it doesn't come with Robo-Ky or a seriously interesting new character. If they ran a USF4 style DLC distributed update I'd change my tune though.

I don't think I'll be buying the next iteration of Xrd if it doesn't come with Robo-Ky or a seriously interesting new character. If they ran a USF4 style DLC distributed update I'd change my tune though.

None of the characters I REALLY wanted to try the most made it in -- Johnny, ABA, OS and Jam. I really doubt OS will be back, but I think Johnny will be in next game.

Hopefully they'll do 2-3 old chars with 1-2 new chars each revision.

Zissou

God damn- played against an excellent Ram player IRL: this char is hot bullshit. If I didn't know a patch was coming I would switch characters this very moment
either to her or her sister

NEO0MJ

GGs Sayad. I think I managed you I-no well enough, but I have no idea how to survive Millia. Is there any reliable way to escape her Tandem Top pressure? Also, if she sets up Secret Garden is there anything you an do to stop it?

And I wish I ould have played Tizoc but yet again our connections failed to sync up >.<

Another Ro-bro, yes!

Sayad

GGs, Neo0MJ and Tizoc.
God damn- played against an excellent Ram player IRL: this char is hot bullshit. If I didn't know a patch was coming I would switch characters this very moment
either to her or her sister
Her sister is probably still really good post patch, then again, so is Faust. ;p

Marz

IMO just play whoever you want and stop worrying about buffs/nerfs etc.

Most of GAF is at a skill level where balance patches aren't really going to affect anything anyways.

Sure isn't going to affect me lol.

they have to do that right, it's 2015

rendering past versions obsolete is ps2 era fuckery

Sayad

GGs Sayad. I think I managed you I-no well enough, but I have no idea how to survive Millia. Is there any reliable way to escape her Tandem Top pressure? Also, if she sets up Secret Garden is there anything you an do to stop it?
With secret garden, you either stop it before it comes out or block/try to stay away from its path. You should probably only contest it if you get a chance for a grab.

For Tandem Top, to be honest I'm not sure what Bedman options are, I know his reversal super is really to the point where I could whiff a 2K and still recover in time to block it. Not sure how his dash works,but it might beat some off Millia's options. If you have the meter, you should try blocking the first attack and use Dead Angle, spending 50% meter to get out of the corner against most characters is worth it, more so if it's against Millia.

IMO just play whoever you want and stop worrying about buffs/nerfs etc.

Most of GAF is at a skill level where balance patches aren't really going to affect anything anyways.

Sure isn't going to affect me lol.
The only Zato change that really bothers me is the puddle being attack-able. I already struggle a lot with Zato's neutral, so it's kind of a kick in the gut to me.

It looks like they reduced his cooldown after Eddie dies unless it is prompted by -D-, and I think that's very fair, because Zato can set up endless unblockables right now against a cornered opponent, and that's just dumb.

Apparently, summoning from a puddle only takes up ~-P- worth of gauge, so it's close to a non-change to me.

I don't know how big the j.K hitbox change is.

I think that's all that was really big and harmful to Zato. But I wouldn't say that all of these changes are so small that they don't affect our play. The original loketest version of Zato would have set me back a lot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Even as shitty as Eddie was in Slash Ogawa still got second with him at SBO This was through a wave of busted ass Kys and Stupidly strong Sols. He only lost at the very end to the very best Ky at the time.

They later had an exhibition match of Reload Eddie vs Slash Ky

He still lost.

Slash Eddie was shit this version will be fine :p

The only Zato change that really bothers me is the puddle being attack-able. I already struggle a lot with Zato's neutral, so it's kind of a kick in the gut to me.

It looks like they reduced his cooldown after Eddie dies unless it is prompted by -D-, and I think that's very fair, because Zato can set up endless unblockables right now against a cornered opponent, and that's just dumb.

Apparently, summoning from a puddle only takes up ~-P- worth of gauge, so it's close to a non-change to me.

I think that's all that was really big and harmful to Zato. But I wouldn't say that all of these changes are so small that they don't affect our play. The original loketest version of Zato would have set me back a lot.

They balanced Zato around Ogawa. They really shouldn't.

Even as shitty as Eddie was in Slash Ogawa still got second with him at SBO This was through a wave of busted ass Kys and Stupidly strong Sols. He only lost at the very end to the very best Ky at the time.

They later had an exhibition match of Reload Eddie vs Slash Ky

He still lost.

Slash Eddie was shit this version will be fine :p
What made Slash so bad?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What made Slash so bad?

This was discussed already xD
The biggest piece of shit change was once Eddie is flying the only way to block anything is with FD. And if you got hit while flying it counted as a counter hit

Memories of Slash are fuzzy. What Q said about the fly nerf, plus very limited time with little eddie, and slower little eddie regen. I think they might of also changed how much / if does chip damage and/or less guard gauge buildup little eddie did. They keep flipping that back and forth, can't keep track.

You couldn't get a double unblockable setup unless you summoned little eddie off the hit that knocked them down. And I think it was just barely. And I think for many setups you had to blockstring them to trap them for the setup, instead of the setup landing meaty on their wakeup. Overall, Zato invested more / had more risk associated with his play. Perhaps more than the players were willing to deal with for the lab time needed to play him.

Fuzzy memories. Lit.10 years ago. Maybe psychochronic will upload some old Slash footage. The old Gigs tournaments were crazy hype. All the old japanese GG tournaments were crazy. The players back than were so much hungrier than they are now.

Edit: looks like I remembered that SBO wrong wonder what I was thinking of?

Marz

Just do what Ogawa does and summon him with -S- and then cover him with HS drill.

Honestly though Zato has one of the most complete toolsets I've ever seen in a character , I'm no Guilty Gear expert but I feel like he'll be fine.

out of boredom while waiting for my ride to show up I was screwing around practicing combos with sin with different health statuses and I gotta say, the GUTS system is made to make those magic pixel moments.

This was discussed already xD

Edit: looks like I remembered that SBO wrong wonder what I was thinking of?
Oh. :)

Just do what Ogawa does and summon him with -S- and then cover him with HS drill.

Honestly though Zato has one of the most complete toolsets I've ever seen in a character , I'm no Guilty Gear expert but I feel like he'll be fine.
The issue, though, is that the puddle Ogawa is summoning from can be killed in this patch. -S- will never come out. Drill is only +2 on block, so there isn't enough time to summon Eddie safely off of it. That's why Ogawa will RC off of a blocked drill into -S- to start pressure sometimes.

NEO0MJ

For Tandem Top, to be honest I'm not sure what Bedman options are, I know his reversal super is really to the point where I could whiff a 2K and still recover in time to block it. Not sure how his dash works,but it might beat some off Millia's options. If you have the meter, you should try blocking the first attack and use Dead Angle, spending 50% meter to get out of the corner against most characters is worth it, more so if it's against Millia.

Probably just that. His Dash teleport is difficult for me to get right.

Top Bottom