• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

OceanBlue

Sol is a lot more straightforward than Ram. Maybe I should switch .__.. I at least feel like I'm playing a fighting game with Sol, while with Ram I'm just flailing around and hoping I somehow land a random Darou.

Edit: By "playing a fighting game" I really mean "mashing 5K". :V

OceanBlue

People who want to fight me while being a 0 bar disgust me and should be banned from online games.

The journey to find 3 or 4 bar connections is long. Once you find that consistent 2f or 3f delay player though, it's not too bad especially if they're willing to play you for a while.

K.Sabot

The journey to find 3 or 4 bar connections is long. Once you find that consistent 2f or 3f delay player though, it's not too bad especially if they're willing to play you for a while.

I just want people who look at a 0 bar and say "i'll play that" gone from the internet forever.

Zissou

Thanks for the fast response! Are there other important OS's (defensive or otherwise) that aren't part of the in-game tutorial that I should definitely know about?

OceanBlue

Thanks for the fast response! Are there other important OS's (defensive or otherwise) that aren't part of the in-game tutorial that I should definitely know about?

I don't know what's in the game tutorial, but the only OSes I know about are overlapping inputs with grab (I can't believe how useful this is with j.P lol), the YRC burst bait OS, and the command grab YRC OS. I'm sure there are more, so I definitely want to hear about them too!

4r5

I wouldn't call this an OS. It's just fuzzy defense.
The video even shows you examples of beating it.

Most of GG's OS's are offensive oriented.

Zissou

Haha, I guess I'd like to expand the question to "what is character-universal tech that you should know that's not covered by the in-game tutorial?"

Haha, I guess I'd like to expand the question to "what is character-universal tech that you should know that's not covered by the in-game tutorial?"

This is so vague.
I haven't finished the in-game tutorial.

The one thing I'll contribute is to be precise in your inputs. Particularly, throws and blitz shields. There are many times where I'll jump to throw and I'm holding diagonal, so my throw doesn't come out. Same as blitz shield... I'll forget to let go of block and a green barrier comes out instead.

Also, it is almost not worth doing a reversal from a knockdown. The input has to be on point if it is a meaty.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hasn't the very notion of a "1 Frame Jump" been debunked, throwing that video into question? Isn't it interpreted that FD Jumping only decreases the Jump startup by one frame and doesn't make it 1 frame?

4r5

Yeah, 1 frame jumping, is more accurately called -1 frame jumping. Another case of poor naming and misinterpretations circulating through the community, and then sticking.

The video lumps fuzzy defense in to a form of OS, but fuzzy defense is really just a good understanding of mixups and precise game-sense.

VF is where the term comes from. It refers to how most mixup situations, the mixup options do not occur on the same frame. For example, the possibility of a low may occur during a certain window of time, and the possibility of a high occurs during a different window of time that does not overlap with the window for a low. So if you understanding the timings right, you simply block low during which a high could never occur, and vice versa.

And then other communities imprecisely understood this to mean some sort of alternating/mashing between high and low guard, and then it stuck.

Anyways, I just rewatched the video and see that there is some sort of guard/throw OS being demonstrated, which most definitely does not exist in Xrd. Also, it is yet to be determined if -1f jumping is in Xrd. The video is very lite on explanation and has a broken link to some article.

So what I mean here is: Yes, fuzzy defense exists. As in, rather than subjugate yourself to a blind guess, you can be a little more educated about it. You can break down a mixup, find the windows for each attack angle and time your defense against each window of attack.

Azure J

I haven't played this in so long that I've reverted back to my near Christmas horribad levels. I just really feel hopeless in this game. Even worse than I ever did in any other fighter.

Zissou

I know that feel- for some reason the path to improvement at xrd is a lot less clear than other games I've played. Still having fun and trying my best- hopefully it clicks sooner or later.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know that feel- for some reason the path to improvement at xrd is a lot less clear than other games I've played. Still having fun and trying my best- hopefully it clicks sooner or later.
GG like BB revolves around how much you know the character you are fighting more than your own. To get to a higher level you need to literally know how to play every character minus the physical execution of playing them.

Just keep playing, watching, and learning.

Rhapsody

Banned
I just remembered we're coast to coast rookiejet lol. The connection's far from ideal, but I figured it's worth a shot. Even if my attempted IBs are killing me instead lol.

rookiejet

I just remembered we're coast to coast rookiejet lol. The connection's far from ideal, but I figured it's worth a shot. Even if my attempted IBs are killing me instead lol.

And you're still kicking my butt what's like 0-10 match-up for Slayer with all that delay, haha. man, do i suck (._.)

Grifter

Man, I just took a 19-man local with a 2-week Potemkin and my friends are all just like "I don't know whether to be impressed or disappointed." Sure it's the latter but words can hurt.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Rookiejet! Actually learned a lot since I never fought a Sin outside of the first month where there wasn't a lot of tech.

I would've played more, but I have to grab dinner.

rookiejet

Thanks for the games, Rhapsody! I'll pretend I learned something when I'm sober-er tomorrow.

edit: play, robawtninja (LA native, I think,) if you want to learn the match-up how it's optimally played by Sin

Rhapsody

Banned
Probably when I really get back into Xrd. I'm still having that character crisis for Evo right now though.

Edit: Also being grabbed out of helter skelter sucks lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
Too bad I dropped her lol

I'm not expecting much out of my performance at Evo though. Concentrating on P4U2 more just because I have a better chance there, haha.

Kikirin

Are the Japanese experts currently learning Japanese from the FGC thread?

Not sure if this is an earnest question rather than sarcasm, but I took 4r5's response to mean "Japanese players are still working on finding / compiling the 1.1 changes since an official changelog wasn't released."

Sayad

Non-balance patch is up btw, guys. At least for JP PS3 copies. 119MB large.
Up in NA too now, didn't notic it updating, but I was able to change characters from the station today. :D
Also, with two bars connection(yellow) I'm getting 4 or 3 frames. Previously, yellow bars meant 5 or more frames, ie, unplayable!

Edzi

So, uh, is Leo considered "cheap" by most players? I had a friend of mine who claims to follow BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (but doesn't actually play) tell me that Leo is kind of an OP/cheap character to use. Leo is the only character I kind of know how to play in Xrd, so I'm hoping I'm not taking advantage of some kind of cheap mechanic.

Sayad

So, uh, is Leo considered "cheap" by most players? I had a friend of mine who claims to follow BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (but doesn't actually play) tell me that Leo is kind of an OP/cheap character to use.
He's not "cheap", just very easy to play, and you need match-up knowledge to fight him(which include option selects).

Up in NA too now, didn't notic it updating, but I was able to change characters from the station today. :D
Also, with two bars connection(yellow) I'm getting 4 or 3 frames. Previously, yellow bars meant 5 or more frames, ie, unplayable!

Hmm I'm getting lower frames too but more lag spikes. Jumping between 1 and 7 sucks.

Kars, how the hell do you do Zato's trial 33? I can't get Zato to combo 5D after Eddie to -D-, or Eddie won't Mine after -P-.
You should be able to mine right after the D launch animation finishes. Are you linking straight from -P- to D? No microdash?

If you aren't aware, the game will also show you the trials in the options, and it includes inputs (including input releases for Eddie).

I stopped doing Zato trials after 32 because they became less and less useful. Zato's final trial, for example, will absolutely never see play in a million years. It just won't. 33 is also a bad trial. Look at how little damage the drill adds. You just earned yourself an unblockable reset when you land D in the corner, why would you do this crappy combo? Ogawa always links into D off of -K- anyway with the strings he uses.

Here is what you should use, and what I should work on:

236K, j.K

Now you mix up with either:
j.S, j.H, -K-, D

Or:

2K, 2S, -K-, D

Basic high-low mixup that keeps your momentum. You can also -P- instead of -K- into a command grab, and that goes into the unblockable reset.

I hope that helps.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, I get that it's essentially useless as are most of the trials, but I find they help me learn certain nuances of a character I may not have been privy to prior. In this case, I feel like doing the Zato trials will help me get a better intuition for controlling Zato, but I'll try what you posted when I'm strictly in training mode. I'm looking at the practical and impractical stuff. Thanks.

UberTag

Finally conquered the endless tedium that is M.O.M. mode.
Absolutely do not recommend that experience for anyone. Ugh.
Thank goodness it's over.

And I just won my first ever ranked match tonight... on my 6th attempt.
A more pathetic exhibition you will never see. The game even gave me a pity rank upgrade to Level 2 after my 5th straight defeat.

10 trophies away from what will still be an impossible Platinum. Although I may give online a more serious try when I get a proper arcade stick sometime down the road.

A more pathetic exhibition you will never see. The game even gave me a pity rank upgrade to Level 2 after my 5th straight defeat.

I'm like 30 and 10 or something with I-No, the online struggle is real.

Finally conquered the endless tedium that is M.O.M. mode.
Absolutely do not recommend that experience for anyone. Ugh.
Thank goodness it's over.

10 trophies away from what will still be an impossible Platinum. Although I may give online a more serious try when I get a proper arcade stick sometime down the road.

I had no idea that you can complete M.O.M.

Also, Ranked is pretty bad, IMO. There's so many people who use lag tactics... and of course, they lag a LOT. I only go into ranked when I don't see any player room open and I don't want to start one myself.

Top Bottom