• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Hubb

So did the patch everyone is talking about just drop now? Downloaded a 800~mb patch and can't find out what it was for.

Zissou

I didn't have to download a patch recently- wonder what it was. Maybe only a ps3 thing?

Also, question: Elphelt's 5H is ridiculous anti-air. Wait... that's not a question, still- fuck that shit o_O

I didn't have to download a patch recently- wonder what it was. Maybe only a ps3 thing?

Also, question: Elphelt's 5H is ridiculous anti-air. Wait... that's not a question, still- fuck that shit o_O

I got the update yesterday too and I was on PS4. Not sure what it is either.

Zissou

Hmm... maybe my ps4 auto-downloaded it during rest mode? I did notice net code seemed a bit better lately, but it could be due to randomly running into people with better internet.

Essay

For Ky players:

I've developed a motion for the fastest possible IAD Stun Edge. I think it will become beneficial to Ky in the future (I know it will become imperative to mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLldtBEq1uM&spfreload=10

Awesome, now that you've learned the Kire Tatami motion, you can play Baiken in +R. :3

EDIT: Whoops, should've read further to see you guys weren't aware of patch 1.04: http://arcsystemworksu.com/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-ver-1-04-patch-notes/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, now that you've learned the Kire Tatami motion, you can play Baiken in +R. :3

EDIT: Whoops, should've read further to see you guys weren't aware of patch 1.04: http://arcsystemworksu.com/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-ver-1-04-patch-notes/

Cool I had no idea. After having a lot of fun with UNIEL for a month I think I'll come back to this. No idea how the changes for 1.10 are but I guess I still have to learn everyone from scratch. Ramlethal never really clicked with me.

Kimosabae

Banned
The point isn't that the motion is somehow unique, but that it gives Ky a neutral option he never had before. AFAIK, you can't do an IAD SE any other way, and I've never seen one executed in a match video.

*shrug.*

Essay

The point isn't that the motion is somehow unique, but that it gives Ky a neutral option he never had before. AFAIK, you can't do an IAD SE any other way, and I've never seen one executed in a match video.

*shrug.*

Apologies, it's good that you pointed out the 236956 motion, and I agree it's pretty under the radar for the Ky-playing public. Definitely worth highlighting. I was just trying to hint at the fact that it's a series staple and has been applicable to other characters too before anyone writes it off as Ky-specific.

Bebpo

Banned
Haven't played this since it came out, have any of the arcade balance changes been applied to console version through patches?

Zissou

Been messing around with May for a couple weeks. My conclusion is: man... Faust is a great character. Nothing like playing low tier to make you appreciate your main.

NEO0MJ

Just turned on Guilty Gear for the first time in a while and was greeted with an 800MB update. What am I in for?

d8a.gif

Or at least, that's what it seems to be from the few posts above.

Edit: Actually, it seems that it was supposed to improve the netcode, cross platform play, trophy fixes, and DLC announcer problems. Oh, and some typos. Haven't downloaded it myself.

Sayad

Trying to get back into this after a three weeks break, missing around in training mode, I wish there was a wake up training option where you make the CPU do moves on his wake-up. Oki training where you record your character and play as the dummy to test things is annoying.

Trying to get back into this after a three weeks break, missing around in training mode, I wish there was a wake up training option where you make the CPU do moves on his wake-up. Oki training where you record your character and play as the dummy to test things is annoying.

True story.

I just stop training and get hit by the same move 50 times in a real match before realizing it doesn't work.

Zissou

Sin seems secretly really good. He's like lvl.4 Frank West except every so often he has to eat to keep his chainsaws... actually, he's like a Frank/Morrigan hybrid- he has chainsaws, but his goal is meter. If he gets 25% before running out of food while pressuring you, he gets to YRC a turkey and then pressure/chip you again. Loop indefinitely

Sin seems secretly really good. He's like lvl.4 Frank West except every so often he has to eat to keep his chainsaws... actually, he's like a Frank/Morrigan hybrid- he has chainsaws, but his goal is meter. If he gets 25% before running out of food while pressuring you, he gets to YRC a turkey and then pressure/chip you again. Loop indefinitely

He's not that great. Block low forever.

He has one standing overhead (which is really slow) and his j.D can get tricky. He does a lot of damage, but really needs to work for it. He also has no oki game, which kinda kills it.

Zissou

He's not that great. Block low forever.

He has one standing overhead (which is really slow) and his j.D can get tricky. He does a lot of damage, but really needs to work for it. He also has no oki game, which kinda kills it.

Saying "block low forever" proves my point, no? :p

I'm saying he doesn't have to open you up- he can pressure you with nigh uncontestable normals/specials indefinitely when played well while he slowly chips you down. It doesn't matter that it's easy to block his overhead special and his dust on reaction.

Rhapsody

Banned
Not like high low outside of oki even matters too much in this game compared to BB.

Ky would be pretty awful if he had to rely on greed sever.

oh man played a bit of elphelt yesterday. too much fun. too bad I have no idea what Im doing right now with the berry nade and shotgun stance.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing UNIEL I've been playing this on and off. Too bad the online it's pretty barren now.

Zissou

Yo Xrd GAF- one thing that I find to be a huge hurdle getting better at Xrd is that each match-up is very different and if you don’t know MU, you can get wrecked even if you’re competent in general. I play against my friend’s Slayer all the time, so when I run into a random Slayer online, I can hold my own, but in many MUs, I’m kinda lost. Moreso than other fighters I’ve played, knowing how to fight AGAINST each specific character seems really important. Would people be willing to write up general advice for how to fight against their own character in the interest of hopefully raising everybody’s level of play?

For example, I play Faust, so general non-character-specific stuff when it comes to fighting Faust would be:

-f.S one of his best normals, but many characters have moves that flat out beat it if timed correctly. Many characters’ 6Ps work great for this due to their upper body invincibility. Some characters have moves that can low profile it as well. Faust can use his 2HS instead, but then he’s leaving himself open to IAD approaches.

-Faust relies heavily on his items, and any decent Faust player has some kind of plan for when they get a given item. When playing against Faust, it’s equally important to have your own plan to deal with each item. In general, when Faust throws a donut/chocolate, he’s momentarily fucked because he can’t throw another item until the food is either picked up or disappears. Picking up the food only gives a tiny amount of health, so it’s best to leave it alone and keep it on screen as long as possible, since it robs Faust of one his most important moves.

-Faust crumbles under pressure with slowish normals, his reliance on meter to DAA out of pressure, etc., so once you get in, you don’t have to respect him quite as much as much of the rest of the cast (but be wary that he low profile a lot of stuff).

Zato:

-Once the shadow is out, Zato will try to use a combination of drills and the shadow to put you into blockstun. If you get put into blockstun by the shadow, you're going to have to block for a long time. Try to poke the shadow, stay away from it, or get past it (best options, in order from best to worst).

-You can burst through unblockables, or block them with a just frame block.

-The shark shadow attack (-S-) is unblockable in the air without FDing.

-Pretty much nothing but Zato's 2K and the drill is + on block. There's no reason to respect an attempt at a pressure game without the shadow.

-Zato has nearly no offensive capacity without the shadow. This is your time to go in. However, he does have good counter-offensive tools with his drills and flight spacing.

-Zato has four main mix-up combinations:
Drill + Shark -S-
Drill and 2S + Buzzsaw
2P, 2K + -P-
j.K + Buzzsaw

These can be mixed and matched, but they are all generally low-only strings except for j.K + Buzzsaw, which can go into a double over head, empty jump (omit the j.K), or j.K, 2K for a high-low. It's his best mix-up that is also safe. Watch his jump height on the first j.K. If your opponent is high on the j.K, they will have to go double overhead because the 2K will come out too late to be a blockstring. All of the other mix-up sets mostly threaten with the command grab. A good Zato will have -S- ready to cover the command grab, so if you jump out of it, be ready to FD as well.

-Always remember that if Eddie (the shadow) is on you, a drill is just a moment away to protect him.

-Zato has 4 anti-airs, and they are all good in different situations. -S- is his best because he doesn't need to commit to anything himself. 6P has 1-16 upper body invincibility, but comes out really late. 2H is fast and has a hitbox much larger than it seems, especially near the ground - some Zato players will run up and do 2H because it can be drill canceled to be safe and catches jumps. 6H is really only useful for hard reads, but if it counter hits it can lead to bit damage.

-Zato's only good mid-range poke is 2S, and it can be counter-hit.

-Most of Zato's strings do not combo into the drill. 5H combos into the drill, and 2H combos into the drill on counterhit, but everything else needs a YRC to combo into the drill. If you are getting hit by a Zato string without Eddie involved, block down-back (drill hits low) and you won't suffer a knockdown.

-Zato has no good reversal options. His shark super has a dead zone right in front of Zato.

Zissou

^Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Xrd really feels like a game where guides on how to fight against characters are as useful as guides on how to play your own character.

Kikirin

I'm not a particularly strong/smart Bedman, so some of these observations may be inaccurate, but...

Bedman - General
- Bedman's basic game plan is to get seals on the field and to leverage them to control space or lock down the opponent. If you're caught blocking near a seal, prepare to block for a while.

- Normals are even on block at best (5P, c.S, 2S), so he needs to rely on his Deja Vu mechanic and YRC to effectively reset pressure.

- His longest horizontally-reaching normals (1.5 to 2 character widths) are f.S, 2S, and j.S, and they are somewhat slow at 9f, 12f, and 10f startup, respectively. f.S can be low-profiled, and 2S can low-profile attacks.

- 2H and 3H reach further than the above, and are generally used to check people doing things from half-/full-screen. Super unsafe on whiff due to long recovery and extended counterhit state, but relatively safe on block if special-canceled. Can be YRC'd or PRC'd. Knowing the distances on these is vital to getting projectiles out safely.

- Bedman has an 8-way airdash, but it isn't Marvel fast. There is an 11f-long "air hang" before the air dash is performed, and he is unable to block or FD between that point and the end of the air dash. In 1.1, he will be able to FD out of the air hang.

Bedman - Defensive Options
- Anti-airs are 6P and situationally 5P and c.S.

- His forward ground dash has a parry / guard point window on frames 4-18. When successful, it teleports him behind the opponent. It doesn't seem like the teleport is punishable if Bedman blocks afterwards, but depending on the gatling/cancel options of the parried move, you may be able to meaty a normal on his re-appearance to beat any attack he puts out.

- Not typically used as a defensive option by competent players, but 6H has some strike invulnerability during its startup (frames 14-20). It is throwable for its entire duration.

- His only reversal is Helios (alarm clock super). It is +11 on block, but is only strike-invulnerable on startup.

Bedman - Specials
- Seals are left behind when Bedman performs a special. When activated (Deja Vu), seals create an after-image of Bedman that repeats the attack used to create the seal. They are removed when attacks or projectiles pass through them or disappear after 7s.

- Task A and Task A' (balls) and their Deja Vu can hit up to two times - once when going out and once on the return trip. Ground versions whiff on crouch / low profile moves. The projectile is removed prematurely if you hit Bedman or make him block after it is out.

- Task A' (teleport ball) is +9 on block, and Bedman appears on the side that the ball hits from.

- Task C (bed slam) is an overhead when Bedman is performing it but isn't when it's the Deja Vu. Air version is +0/+3 on block, depending on height performed.

- Deja Vu A and A' go away when Bedman blocks after the projectile is out. Deja Vu B (spin) and C continue even when Bedman is blocking.

Bedman - Mixups
The main mixup sources are:
- Task/Deja Vu A' left/right. This usually comes after a 2D knockdown, and watching the side that the ball connects on when you wake up will help with blocking the correct direction.

- Air dash mixups. Depending on his height and the direction of the air dash, Bedman can fit in up to 3 overheads before landing and going for a low.

Down: 1 at most, j.P or j.K
Down-forward: 2 at most, j.K or j.K > j.P
Forward: 3 at most, j.K > j.P > j.P or j.K > j.S

- Instant overhead j.D. This can only be done from point-blank range, and there's no further follow-up without Red RC or prior Deja Vu / YRC setup.

- Deja Vu A' high/low. On block or hit, Deja Vu A' interrupts Bedman's current action and teleports him to the ground beside the opponent. During a blockstring, this can allow for tricky situations where an overhead or air string is interrupted mid-animation for a 50/50 between 2K and j.D.

Onemic

Coming back from a good 4 month break, so I assume everyone is leagues better than me now lol.

With Ram getting nerfed to the ground in the new patch, I'm thinking about switching mains....How is Sol fairing in the new patch? This time I need a simple character since Xrd wont be my main fighting game anymore.

Coming back from a good 4 month break, so I assume everyone is leagues better than me now lol.

With Ram getting nerfed to the ground in the new patch, I'm thinking about switching mains....How is Sol fairing in the new patch? This time I need a simple character since Xrd wont be my main fighting game anymore.

Pretty sure the new Ram is going to be Slayer and Axl. Sol should still be good.

Zissou

Good stuff on the Bedman write-up. Didn't know Helios was only strike invincible- time to test some stuff!

I randomly went online and did some player matches against a Zato last night after reading Karst's advice... and still got wrecked. I felt like I was doing better and better each time, but this was actually the first time I've been able to play against a Zato for consecutive matches. Still a long ways to go, but happy I found someone who was willing to stick around and play me for a while.

Kimosabae

Banned
Cool idea: though I don't think it's going to produce the effect that you intented. It's great for discussion , regardless. I'll try to do Ky/Sol once I have some time off.

Good stuff on the Bedman write-up. Didn't know Helios was only strike invincible- time to test some stuff!

I randomly went online and did some player matches against a Zato last night after reading Karst's advice... and still got wrecked. I felt like I was doing better and better each time, but this was actually the first time I've been able to play against a Zato for consecutive matches. Still a long ways to go, but happy I found someone who was willing to stick around and play me for a while.

The only tactic that worked against Zato was to hit him first. He has really REALLY weak reversals so I just do whatever I want after a knockdown.

If I get hit though, GG me.

Dizzy-4U

Sorry for the noob question guys, Elph and Leo are dlc only, correct? I want to make sure since I haven't touched story mode yet and I don't know if you can unlock them any other way.

Zissou

Cool idea: though I don't think it's going to produce the effect that you intented. It's great for discussion , regardless. I'll try to do Ky/Sol once I have some time off.

Anything to get some discussion going! I've kind of resigned myself to having to learn a bunch of the cast (on some basic level) to even have a chance of fighting them.

The only tactic that worked against Zato was to hit him first. He has really REALLY weak reversals so I just do whatever I want after a knockdown.

If I get hit though, GG me.

I know I asked for character-universal tactics, but "Don't get hit!" is maybe TOO universal, haha.

Rhapsody

Banned

Number one thing I'll do is more of a player thing, but I try to see how proficient the Zato player is at manipulating Eddie. A good Zato player will know how to weave Eddie around your attacks in neutral. Try killing it safely in neutral and see how they react.

Another is to check out how they start Eddie pressure. Most people online will get greedy and do Mawaru in a blockstring as soon as they can instead of a safer part.

rookiejet

I dunno if there was something wrong with PSN or my ISP, but ggs RookieJet. I need to get to your level now lol.

The connection's gotten way better later. But yeah, give it a week man, I haven't actually made it that far >.>, it's these other guys you have to worry about. Welcome back, man!

Rhapsody

Banned
Xrd connections been weird for me lately, so I've basically stopped netplay. The game is acting weird for lobbies with at least 3 people.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well, glad to hear it may not just be me having problems with xrd online. I recently spent almost 200 bucks to replace my PS3 and get a new copy of xrd so I could play on a wired connection and all day yesterday I had some of the worst connections ever. I was so pissed I wanted to return everything, immediately.

Top Bottom