• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

Sayad

Millia players online really like to use rolls and their followups lol.
There's no real mix up out of roll, lol, I avoided using it for a while, but it's just way too tempting because most people have no idea how to deal with it. My favorite are those who try to challenge Degitalis in the corner.

In the spirit of writing about our characters:

5HS, Roll > Digitalis is a 3 or 2 frames frame trap, if done right, you can't even jump out of it and it's the only roll follow up you should respect. Everything else is feeding on your fear. Roll > Dust should never get you since there's no low option out of the mixup for you to block low, and it comes out so late, it's actually faster to do "Roll > Roll, Grab". You can backdash Digitalis, but keep in mind Millia can option select YRC and punish, depending on the character.

Digitalis is negative on block, but it's hard to punish because of the pushback. If you can Just Defense it(which should be easy), Millia will be about -10 and close enough to punish pretty easily. You can also option select the whole thing by blocking for few frames and doing a fast attack/jump after Digitalis window and you'd be safe from/beat every follow up.

Saw some Millias do 5HS, 2D, Roll > Digitalis in which case you can just safely jump out of it or stuff it with a low profile attack.

Sayad

Gave the PS4 to my brother to play Bloodborne, I want to play Xrd so bad right now, but it would at least be a week before I could play again.

Bloodborne killing Xrd since March 24. ;p

Finally got to play some Xrd last night with my VLX. Took Faust into the training room and man it has been a long time since I played on a stick. Are there any updates as to when consoles will be getting 1.1?

NEO0MJ

Gave the PS4 to my brother to play Bloodborne, I want to play Xrd so bad right now, but it would at least be a week before I could play again.

Bloodborne killing Xrd since March 24. ;p

I borrowed a friends's PS to play it. It's been two weeks and I've only just reached
Rom.
How far am I in the game? Please tell me at least 25%.

I borrowed a friends's PS to play it. It's been two weeks and I've only just reached
Rom.
How far am I in the game? Please tell me at least 25%.

more like 40ish% but it all depends on if you fought a lot of the optional bosses. you can also miss stuff if you beat rom

Essay

Are there any updates as to when consoles will be getting 1.1?

Nothing official, but most fans think it's safe to assume it'll be playable before Arc Revo, since Xrd is one of the two featured games, and that tournament's being held on console. (August 15)

Hopefully it drops much sooner though! Half my local scene is pursuing studies, and summer's the best tie to grind out the new stuff.

Nothing official, but most fans think it's safe to assume it'll be playable before Arc Revo, since Xrd is one of the two featured games, and that tournament's being held on console. (August 15)

Hopefully it drops much sooner though! Half my local scene is pursuing studies, and summer's the best tie to grind out the new stuff.

I do hope it is much sooner. I'd like for a June release if they could manage it. Has there been much footage with the new patch in play? I've been off my youtube game recently.

Essay

Has there been much footage with the new patch in play? I've been off my youtube game recently.

I've had no shortage to watch. Pretty much any new Guilty Gear uploads that you're seeing out of Japanese arcades on gaming a-cho or Goldenrody's channel is 1.1 (except for this week's KSB event).

I've had no shortage to watch. Pretty much any new Guilty Gear uploads that you're seeing out of Japanese arcades on gaming a-cho or Goldenrody's channel is 1.1 (except for this week's KSB event).

Yeah I haven't checked their channels for a month. Well time to do some digging.

Kimosabae

Banned
Recent rumors out of KVO say 1.1. is dropping this may, and that there was an unofficial confirmation of Johnny and Jam at the event.

Sayad

They should make Baiken a priority, none of the cast is covering her play style. Also because she's a cool looking pink hair, white dress character with a lot of life. I just hope they don't redesign her with an eyepatch.

NEO0MJ

They should make Baiken a priority, none of the cast is covering her play style. Also because she's a cool looking pink hair, white dress character with a lot of life. I just hope they don't redesign her with an eyepatch.

You know it's coming.

Though I'd love Baiken to come back, she was one of the cooler characters, even if I didn't get how to play her.

Recent rumors out of KVO say 1.1. is dropping this may, and that there was an unofficial confirmation of Johnny and Jam at the event.

Where's my testament? :/ good to hear that Johnny and Jam are getting in I never really played them but more character choice is never bad.

I hope this is true. Both Johnny and Jam are currently on top of the list to main. They just need to add ABA and then I'll be sooooo happy.

I hope this is true. Both Johnny and Jam are currently on top of the list to main. They just need to add ABA and then I'll be sooooo happy.

They just need to add the rest of the cast from +R to be honest :) Everyone will be happy then.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to create characters for Xrd compared to previous entries now?

Sayad

bye bye Ram. Hello Sol
zr7hQsb.jpg

What nerfs did he get? I remember Nage saying he's still high tier and I-No players still complaining about how un-winnable the Faust match-up is.

As long as Faust's 6P remains the way it is, I-no will always have problems.

Sort of like how 5K was the answer to most of what Johnny could do back when he was around.

Essay

Those are mostly damage nerfs, which is fine, he does crazy damage. There are also a lot of buffs there too. Biggest nerf might be his hitbox during hitstun, which was bullshit, none of I-No's proper BnBs worked on a sitting Faust, even things like "2D, Note" setup had problems working on him. >__>

Ah, it wasn't that bad. Her max damage BnB worked with the super jump IAD. That's all I needed.

EDIT: Just to be clear, going by Google Translate they're calling console 1.1 patch 1.05? Anyone checked the PDF at Mdesilva's link to confirm this is more than just a bug fix patch?

Zissou

Those are mostly damage nerfs, which is fine, he does crazy damage. There are also a lot of buffs there too. Biggest nerf might be his hitbox during hitstun, which was bullshit, none of I-No's proper BnBs worked on a sitting Faust, even things like "2D, Note" setup had problems working on him. >__>

I mean- I'm not reeeeally complaining because Faust is still really good, but he got 90% nerfs and buffs he got were for gimmicky/mostly useless moves.

Kikirin

EDIT: Just to be clear, going by Google Translate they're calling console 1.1 patch 1.05? Anyone checked the PDF at Mdesilva's link to confirm this is more than just a bug fix patch?

Yeah, it's confirmed.

From the linked site:
本パッチにて「新たなバトルバランスの調整」、「機能改善」、「不具合修正」などのアップデートが適用されます。
From the PDF:
5 月 7 日現在アーケード版で稼働中のバトルバランス調整と同等のものが適用されます。

1.1 isn't called out directly, but there's mention of battle balance changes being matched to the current arcade version.

I just read the Sin changes on SRK. Pretty excited about 6P being jump cancellable and new counter-hit changes to jump D. I guess with the ground Beak Driver changing Sin players won't cancel the first hit into Still Growing.

Essay

I could never do her IAD stuff outside training mode. ;__;
It really is one of the harder IAD combos in the game, and you'll find it very sensitive to input delay, whether from laggy monitors or online delay (or PS3 slowdown). Best (subjective) advice I can give is to practice until you can do it without looking at the screen and commit that feeling to memory, instead of trying to visualize.

The latter (pretty sure).
Yeah, from what I read before, everything is getting an input buffer extension from 2f to 3f (except reversal Gold Bursts, which I assume is still 1f).

I guess with the ground Beak Driver changing Sin players won't cancel the first hit into Still Growing.
If it's the same blowback, I'm taking the damage. It would make cancelling into RTL after Beak Driver harder midscreen though.

Sayad

Yea, the buffer/easier inputs is what I'm excited for the most in this update. I'd try to actually learn I-No too.

Top Bottom