• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

NEO0MJ

So... Elphelt is really fun. :)

Ultimate dishonor!

tumblr_mqpcv92gCr1stg4aco1_250.gif

Deps

Gonna have more time soon and I want to pick this game up. Is there a good breakdown anywhere of the general playstyle of each character?

NEO0MJ

Gonna have more time soon and I want to pick this game up. Is there a good breakdown anywhere of the general playstyle of each character?

It might be a good idea to check out dustloop. A new balance patch recently launched so some old tactics might not work as well for some characters, though they might get new ones instead.

rookiejet

Novril's Guilty Bits series covers the basics of the characters(using their AC+R iteration but I think a lot of stuff carries through).

Edit: Zidane has done an overview for Sin and Leo; and ShinSyn has a hella verbose one for Xrd Chipp. These are the ones I know of for Xrd.

The Dustloop Wiki character pages are helpful too. Sin's has been fleshed out quite nicely recently.

Low tier netplay is silly.

Try for IK, wrong input, opponent bursts hitting nothing, finally get the IK input right in and land it during the burst animation.

OceanBlue

Lol the southeast lobby is dead. I checked the northeast lobby and I recognize a few of the names and I have 3-4 bars with some people. I guess not enough people on the east coast to justify multiple lobbies now. :<

Essay

The second you said brb, rookiejet, the room crashed. o_O I've got it back up for a bit though.

EDIT: Oooh, that was the secret colour. Now I have it. We use the same colour. Hilarious!

EDIT EDIT: The Voltic Deigns pass through eachother?!

EDIT in response to Edit: Can't escape your reflection!

EDIT the fourth: Probably just one or two more then I'm out.

Final Edit: GG's

rookiejet

I forgot which color Sin I was there since the reset, haha. I'm such a dope.

Edit: That was such a bad burst by me. I guess they do? I didn't know, I avoid the mirror like hell usually >.>

Edit2: Haha, it was my color first! Now I'm even more confused though, lol.

Edit3: Alright. Thanks for the games!

Edit4: GGs

Sayad

Novril's Guilty Bits series covers the basics of the characters(using their AC+R iteration but I think a lot of stuff carries through).
This video series is great, Xrd is my first time playing GG seriously and that series helped me a lot, not just in picking mains, but also to be aware of other characters play styles and gameplan on a basic level, which is really important in this game.

Essay

Netcode is great. It still has a decent online scene -- The new patch helped bring back some players, I think (myself included).

Yeah, it's not bad, and, with the new patch including an input buffer increase, I can now stomach playing people with worse connections than I used to be able to!

Is there still issue when trying to send invites and find eachother cross platform? I have the game on PS4 and it seems most are on PS3 still.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, it's not bad, and, with the new patch including an input buffer increase, I can now stomach playing people with worse connections than I used to be able to!

Yeah, the buffer did make the game feel easier to play online. Neutral and blocking 50/50s still suck though lol

Onemic

Is there still issue when trying to send invites and find eachother cross platform? I have the game on PS4 and it seems most are on PS3 still.

I havent tried it yet, but I assume they didn't add an invite system for PS4 users. Regardless, I never had a problem getting PS3 players to join my lobbies.

Yeah, the buffer did make the game feel easier to play online. Neutral and blocking 50/50s still suck though lol

Is online still wonky for you Rhap? Or is it better now?

Rhapsody

Banned
Is online still wonky for you Rhap? Or is it better now?
I think it might be better now? Before in a three person lobby, I've had issues where the person not hosting and wasn't playing couldn't spectate. And if the host was spectating, the match would always disconnect for the other two. Now anyone can spectate, but I haven't checked if the latter problem still happens for me.

Kimosabae

Banned
I could do them in 1.0 just not consistently. I haven't grinded them out on 1.1 yet, but it's not much easier.

I don't think I would ever try it online.

OceanBlue

I could do them in 1.0 just not consistently. I haven't grinded them out on 1.1 yet, but it's not much easier.

I don't think I would ever try it online.

Oh. I couldn't ever do them but I drop Ram's BnBs all of the time online so my execution is pretty bad lol. I was just wondering if it's practical because I've really only ever seen Ain go for them in Japanese match videos. Not that I've seen that many Ky players though.

Onemic

Oh. I couldn't ever do them but I drop Ram's BnBs all of the time online so my execution is pretty bad lol. I was just wondering if it's practical because I've really only ever seen Ain go for them in Japanese match videos. Not that I've seen that many Ky players though.

How different are rams combos in 1.1

Rhapsody

Banned

I feel like the microdash Vapor Thrust is similar to Sol's 6P 5H sj air dash. Looks like I'm seeing more of it in 1.1.

I dunno if it's because players feel more consistent with the added buffer or because people grinded out/discovered the routes on console later in the game's life.

Kimosabae

Banned

It's practical. When I first started practicing them I felt they might have been impractical, but I started getting it down just before 1.1.

I actually stopped using it because after I started getting it I realized the Oki is garbage afterwards against characters that get up quickly.

OceanBlue

I feel like the microdash Vapor Thrust is similar to Sol's 6P 5H sj air dash. Looks like I'm seeing more of it in 1.1.

I dunno if it's because players feel more consistent with the added buffer or because people grinded out/discovered the routes on console later in the game's life.

I probably have trouble with it because it's a microdash after Greed Sever. Until I get a good feel for when the Greed Sever recovery ends, I'm kinda just guessing when I should input the dash lol.

It's practical. When I first started practicing them I felt they might have been impractical, but I started getting it down just before 1.1.

I actually stopped using it because after I started getting it I realized the Oki is garbage afterwards against characters that get up quickly.

Welp. I thought it was going to be a universal oki thing :<. Ah well, I don't play Ky anyway and my execution is garbage lol.

Onemic

Well looks like I'm sticking with Ram for the long haul.

Finally tried out the patch, and she's mostly the same, I only have to tweak her midscreen combo a bit to get the same effect. Her execution for her midscreen combo is definitely harder though, even with the increased input buffer. I wonder if the Daiji combo is actually doable now though with the increased buffer, since it's exactly the same as it was in 1.0.

Just like when I first started, I'm probably gonna spend a solid week in training mode before I actually take her out and play other people.

Zissou

Well looks like I'm sticking with Ram for the long haul.

Finally tried out the patch, and she's mostly the same, I only have to tweak her midscreen combo a bit to get the same effect. Her execution for her midscreen combo is definitely harder though, even with the increased input buffer. I wonder if the Daiji combo is actually doable now though with the increased buffer, since it's exactly the same as it was in 1.0.

Just like when I first started, I'm probably gonna spend a solid week in training mode before I actually take her out and play other people.

This is like every character in every arcsys game ever :p

fader

I see dat joke

btw, how is Ram? I have not touched 1.1 yet and I am hearing so much rumours about her and Karinchu apparently sporadically plays her now. I'm thinking of switching to (my old #R boo) Millia but I'm not really committed on the decision.

Onemic

btw, how is Ram? I have not touched 1.1 yet and I am hearing so much rumours about her and Karinchu apparently sporadically plays her now. I'm thinking of switching to (my old #R boo) Millia but I'm not really committed on the decision.

From what I've noticed she's pretty much the same, except her neutral is a lot harder because the opponent can hit the swords and make them completely inactive for a period of time. Combo wise, she's the exact same in the corner, but midscreen she's a bit different. Instead of going pk, pk, kpp, ppp, you need to do pk, pk, ppk, ppp. It's a bit harder, but you get used to it. Daruo is also a bit more difficult, but not much really. It's really the neutral that has affected her the most. I've been in training mode 100% of the time, so I dont know how big of a deal it will be in actual matches, but from the match videos I've seen it seems that Ram has to do a lot more work to get into the situations where she can do her setups now.

I'm probably gonna try out Slayer at some point and see how he compares.

fader

From what I've noticed she's pretty much the same, except her neutral is a lot harder because the opponent can hit the swords and make them completely inactive for a period of time. Combo wise, she's the exact same in the corner, but midscreen she's a bit different. Instead of going pk, pk, kpp, ppp, you need to do pk, pk, ppk, ppp. It's a bit harder, but you get used to it. Daruo is also a bit more difficult, but not much really. It's really the neutral that has affected her the most. I've been in training mode 100% of the time, so I dont know how big of a deal it will be in actual matches, but from the match videos I've seen it seems that Ram has to do a lot more work to get into the situations where she can do her setups now.

I'm probably gonna try out Slayer at some point and see how he compares.

yea... her neutral being bad is the main issue i've heard about her which apparently shifted a lot of her match ups.

ppk is the upside down kick right?

Onemic

yea... her neutral being bad is the main issue i've heard about her which apparently shifted a lot of her match ups.

ppk is the upside down kick right?

yup. Depending on the weight of the character(sol for instance) you have to delay the k so that theyre low enough for you to complete the ppp.

fader

They're the same lol. I'm just really sensitive to lag when doing her combos for some reason.

Edit: Like all you have to do is watch Daiji to see what I mean.

hmm. so judging by this Rams playstyle, he seems to play her more of a traditional GG character. she honestly don't seem that bad. you manly launch HS sword and use S to punish.
She not as suppressive as she used to be which is fine since it probably wasn't the devs thoughts of her

rookiejet

Some JP player just took a match off me by throwing my burst. Maybe I should just give up now.

LOL Lostconfused pls. Expect more embarassing losses, you barely played this game!

But that was a funny story though. If you wanna play a still scrub since day one, hit me up. I'm rookiejet1 on psn.

Rhapsody

Banned
LOL Lostconfused pls. Expect more embarassing losses, you barely played this game!

But that was a funny story though. If you wanna play a still scrub since day one, hit me up. I'm rookiejet1 on psn.

Lies, I wouldn't say you're a scrub lol. Plus you're like one of the few people that remember counter blitzing is an option, haha.

Top Bottom