• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

rookiejet

Lies, I wouldn't say you're a scrub lol. Plus you're like one of the few people that remember counter blitzing is an option, haha.

Hey man, I still have yet to see more than three of my counter blitzes go as planned (goddamn throwing jerks). But I'll take the compliment >.>

OceanBlue

I'm really bad at this game so I'd be down. Jotamide on PSN.

Sure. I was almost going to give up playing online because online is basically dead unless I play 2 bars (which in my experience has been ~8-10f delay) >.>.

I can only really find consistent time to play on the weekend because of work but I'm trying to make time on weekdays as well. I'm HarukaIsMyWaifu on PSN. I'll probably just be flailing around in neutral with Ram until I get a hit and drop my combo/mixup, or I'll just play Sol and do weak frame traps to put people back in neutral all day. :V

Edit: I just realized nothing in my post talked about a neutral game, but I don't have a neutral game so it's okay! :(

Sayad

Fucking cieled charged stun edge is worse than Rams swords at "time to block without seeing wtf is happening", it's starting to make me want to play the game on PS3 with the shitty special effects for better visibility. ;__;

Story mode was cool, much better than anything in BB.

Then read the artbook that came with the special edition which was pretty cool.

In the end though, I still like Sol the most as a character except he doesn't fit my playstyle. And I never want to try a new character with fighting games because of the excessive learning curve.

In the end though, I still like Sol the most as a character except he doesn't fit my playstyle. And I never want to try a new character with fighting games because of the excessive learning curve.

Hmm, would you be interested in trying out new characters? What is your play style? I'm sure some people can chime in and give you some suggestions.

Azure J

With my semester winding down, I'm planning to go a bit harder in this game online. Hope that GAF will be around to get my Elphelt back up to par.

OceanBlue

I mean at least you're interested in Sol and not a character like Zato or something if you're worried about a learning curve lol.

So whats the word on using audio to practice combos. Time and again I learn that without proper audio feedback I usually have way more trouble doing combos I have no experience with.

Sol's dustloop timing is a pretty good example of the attack audio being a pretty key indicator on if you are doing it too late or early.

Rhapsody

Banned
So whats the word on using audio to practice combos. Time and again I learn that without proper audio feedback I usually have way more trouble doing combos I have no experience with.

Sol's dustloop timing is a pretty good example of the attack audio being a pretty key indicator on if you are doing it too late or early.

Audio helps me learn combos to get a certain rhythm at times. It's pretty much added feedback that your timing is staying on track.

Eventually, try not to be too reliant on sound though. Even though it was unintentional, I didn't know how much I relied on Kokonoe's JP voice for the black hole followup until I went to a tourney. Threw me off for just the first match.

OceanBlue

Oh lord, I just tried 4 delay in training mode to see how it was and it feels so awkward. I dropped everything. Online is going to be so miserable lol. Also, Slayer's 5K's startup and recovery are so fast. I just set a dummy to mash it and I had a surprisingly hard time dealing with it at its max range. It's like Slayer doesn't have a hurtbox at all on his leg lol. I just have so much trouble against Slayer in general. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh lord, I just tried 4 delay in training mode to see how it was and it feels so awkward. I dropped everything. Online is going to be so miserable lol. Also, Slayer's 5K's startup and recovery are so fast. I just set a dummy to mash it and I had a surprisingly hard time dealing with it at its max range. It's like Slayer doesn't have a hurtbox at all on his leg lol. I just have so much trouble against Slayer in general. :(

5K's a really good tool for Slayer. Regardless, his weakness is still getting in on people. You'll have to take advantage of that.

I can't remember if you use Ky or not, but you have pretty good tools to keep him at bay.

OceanBlue

5K's a really good tool for Slayer. Regardless, his weakness is still getting in on people. You'll have to take advantage of that.

I can't remember if you use Ky or not, but you have pretty good tools to keep him at bay.
Yeah, I was really surprised. I expected it to be more like Faust's 5K, but it recovers so quickly!

I'm trying to main Ram and sub Sol for when I get tired of dropping combos and setups on people online lol. Ky seems fun too though. :<

I'm just completely unsure of the ranges I should be playing against Slayer or how I should be stopping him from getting in. I just end up sitting outside of 5K but I'm free to dash in and dandy step :(. I actually have a similar issue against Chipp where I get too antsy and whiff buttons that let him dash in. I should probably just figure out answers his basic stuff in training mode tbh. Probably, one of the problems I have against Slayer is that I let him press buttons on me when I have frame advantage (like I let Slayer players do dash 5H on me all of the time).

Zissou

If you're playing Sol, gun flame is scary for Slayer to deal with on the ground. It seems to be a tough MU for Slayer for that reason alone.

OceanBlue

If you're playing Sol, gun flame is scary for Slayer to deal with on the ground. It seems to be a tough MU for Slayer for that reason alone.

I thought so too. It probably is really good and I'm just not using it well, but Slayer's answer for it is the same as every other character's I think (jump/IAD).

OceanBlue

ggs Rhapsody! 1 bar and our games were still better than a ton of 2-3 bars I've played >_>. I feel like I don't know how to play fighting games lol. It was fun (and frustrating since I couldn't do anything) playing against you though!

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, OceanBlue. Hope you didn't mind me switching or doing the mirror. I'm hoping the Sol mirrors gave you some ideas.

Small things like spacing and 2S whiff into fafnir, etc. I only played you once before (and granted it was with Slayer who you said that you have issues with), but I think you did a lot better. Once cornered, I really had to make sure I got out or else I lost the round.

OceanBlue

GGs, OceanBlue. Hope you didn't mind me switching or doing the mirror. I'm hoping the Sol mirrors gave you some ideas.

Small things like spacing and 2S whiff into fafnir, etc. I only played you once before (and granted it was with Slayer who you said that you have issues with), but I think you did a lot better. Once cornered, I really had to make sure I got out or else I lost the round.

Nah I didn't mind. Thanks for trying to help! I learned that I really liked trying to punish your 5S with 2D in the Sol mirror and running into Gunflame :V.

To be honest, I'm really bad at learning (or thinking) while I play, so sorry if I didn't get as much as you'd hoped. I'd like to think that I stopped trying to dash in your face from half-screen halfway in our sets and improved on my FD braking lol. I'm kinda just hoping that it'll be like SF4 where, if I play enough, at some point I'll be able to keep track of what's going on instead of my brain imploding after a couple of seconds. Hope we can play again if you don't mind!

rookiejet

Sol da bess now?

Ugh.

I don't think it was enough to nerf Fafnir, it needed to be deleted completely.

Edit: I also agree with the Sin promotion, he really can hang just fine with the S-tier characters (save for Millia, it's tougher 'coz she's too fast for him (and everyone else ofc)).

Zissou

I'm pretty lost on what to do in like two thirds of the MUs in this game. From playing a little bit earlier:

Venom: ball obstacle course is really hard to navigate. His pokes are really good which makes it hard to keep him from earning the space to ball up. He can shoot balls quickly enough that Faust doors are very hard to squeeze in. Bag head can only deal with one ball at a time and the rate of his ball output is way higher than my bag output. He can launch his balls at a low enough altitude where I can't crouch under them.

Ramlethal: nerfed, but her corner pressure is still nuts. Her damage was reduced a little, but that just means you lose slightly more slowly.

Axl: I don't know shit about this character. I literally had never played against an Axl pre-patch, but at least now, this character is nuts. Is it my imagination or do his flaming scythe attacks (sparrowhawk stance stuff) actually legit reach full screen? What do you do against that?

Sayad

Axl: I don't know shit about this character. I literally had never played against an Axl pre-patch, but at least now, this character is nuts. Is it my imagination or do his flaming scythe attacks (sparrowhawk stance stuff) actually legit reach full screen? What do you do against that?
They do reach full screen. High jump > air dash get you out of its reach, but the high jump can be caught by the high attack even at full screen. I think only the low attack catch Faust's teleport from full screen(middle one seem to whiff on a lot of stuff at full range). The low attack isn't a real low and they can be blitz-ed, usually Axl does two attacks at a time, so blocking the first then blitzing works a lot but don't be too obvious with it. Of course sometime it's best to just block and let him exhaust the six attacks he have from the stance.

The stance start up is slow so you shouldn't allow him to be comfortable going into it during neutral. Though I guess that's way easier if you're Millia.

Edit: one last thing, the chains have hitboxes and can be hit, it's easy to trade with it or straight up beat it with invincible attacks, things like full screen Stimulating Fists of Annihilation works if you predict a low. :)

OceanBlue

Edit: one last thing, the chains have hitboxes and can be hit, it's easy to trade with it or straight up beat it with invisible attacks, things like full screen Stimulating Fists of Annihilation works if you predict a low. :)

Lol I've seen people try to mash jab on it. Dunno if the risk is worth it though.

Anyone want to play today? Let me know and I'll get on. Watching people play just makes me want to play since I don't understand high level play lol.

Essay

A common answer I see is to attempt to instant block it and then tag the recovery frames (its hurtbox still lingers) with something like a 5P

OceanBlue

GGs Rhapsody! It was a lot of fun. Sorry I'm so spastic. I was really trying to think through my matches but it's hard to stay focused for an entire round :<. Long sets are a lot of fun though!

OceanBlue

GGs, that was really fun. You're getting the hang of those matchups. And your corner Ram stuff is pretty on point.

Lol thanks. Can't wait until I'm solid enough with the basics to start learning the really scummy Ram stuff. First I need to learn frame traps though. :V

Sayad

Lol I've seen people try to mash jab on it. Dunno if the risk is worth it though.
6Ps should beat the mid chain cleanly and I imagine meaty normals can trade easily with the chains. But jabs sound way too risky for little reward, if you're willing to take the ch damage, just keep blocking! Unless it's something like what Essay pointed.

still messing around with the challenges but the hitstop on some of the bigger hits is really messing me up. I can't do the dash jump in Sol's dustloop or an IAD after ch.HS because of the hitstop, it's driving me nuts.

OceanBlue

still messing around with the challenges but the hitstop on some of the bigger hits is really messing me up. I can't do the dash jump in Sol's dustloop or an IAD after ch.HS because of the hitstop, it's driving me nuts.

Dash jump in Sol's dustloop? I should probably do the trials since I have no idea what this is.

Personally, learning to do 6P 5H dustloop helped me a lot with learning the timing for ch 5H IAD j.S and 6P 5H IAD j.P. The buffer helps too lol.

Dash jump in Sol's dustloop? I should probably do the trials since I have no idea what this is.

I am just doing challenges for the hell of it.

in the challenge you have to do a dash j.K at the start of the 2nd rep of dust so that you maintain forward momentum in the air. Otherwise Sol will be too far out for Kudakero to connect.

OceanBlue

I am just doing challenges for the hell of it.

in the challenge you have to do a dash j.K at the start of the 2nd rep of dust so that you maintain forward momentum in the air. Otherwise Sol will be too far out for Kudakero to connect.

Oh okay. For some reason I was thinking you meant something like Wild Throw, dash jump dust loop close to the corner lol. I haven't even been able to do that once...

If anyone wants to play some online matches, I'll be online in probably an hour and a half.

Sayad

IAD after long hitstops is one of the hardest things to do in this game due to how the system works.
During hitstop, you're allowed to buffer inputs, buffering IAD doesn't work though because the moment you leave hit stop you can't air dash thanks to height restrictions on ADs. You can do it by delaying your IAD's 89 until the hitstop is about to end, you can use the hit sparks as an indicator, they start to fade before the end of the hitstop.

Dash jumps are much easier than before thanks to the last patch, they can be buffered just before you land now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ironically the patch made hammerfall cancels a bit weird. Usually people try to do P+H for the earliest cancel. If you do it too soon where it's relying on the buffer, the cancel won't happen unless you press P again.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ironically the patch made hammerfall cancels a bit weird. Usually people try to do P+H for the earliest cancel. If you do it too soon where it's relying on the buffer, the cancel won't happen unless you press P again.

yeah, pretty much killed my 6k loop training

Rhapsody

Banned
yeah, pretty much killed my 6k loop training

I think with the Trishula buffs, it helped compensate a tiny bit for people that can't do 6K loops well (like me).

Something like corner Heat Knuckle Extend RC, Mega Punch whiff > 6H > Hammerfall cancel 6K > Trishula > Heat Knuckle Extend does 220 damage or so. Plus I think that's the optimal combo since 6K loops would be cut short off that starter.

Not ideal for me, but it sort of helps.

Who are you using? Also if you're ever able to record a match, it'd be easier for me and others to pinpoint on what can help you out.

Sure why not, I don't have capture equipment though. You will have to settle for crappy PS4 share quality for your schadenfreude.

These are only a minor selection, I think I've lost at least 10 or 15 matches total today.

http://youtu.be/ZfjzNGLhzFU

http://youtu.be/8DBh1UjSWPs

http://youtu.be/mVDvceYrCL0

http://youtu.be/5963637EutY

http://youtu.be/tdH0QOtvq4M

http://youtu.be/6cmy0DW8h8k

Sayad

The most obvious thing is that you need to have a more clear game plan:
I'll try to open him up by doing this....
If it works, I'll confirm with this...
If he block I'll do this...
If it whiff I'll do this....
And so on, this apply to the various scramble situations you'll run into too. There shouldn't be a point in the round where you're standing still thinking what you should do next, you should always be ready.

Also, your Sol is way too respectful, this might sound like a bad advice, but you need to do more raw special moves and yolo stuff with Sol.

Top Bottom