• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

FluxWaveZ

Was probably added via the initial patch that's already out.

It's likely that he was on disc all along. When P4AU came out, people also hacked the game and were able to play Marie and Margaret when they weren't out yet. Oh, unless they had also been added in after patch 1.01. I'm not sure.

Azure J

I'm so hoping this is real XD

10440642_772490239490016_5849896057922446956_n.jpg

Yay, another game where I'm going to catch shit for playing characters that create feelings of rage because I thought they were cool looking/neat. :lol

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of shitty how Leo isn't in the normal roster considering how big his role is in Story Mode.

Uraizen

Banned
It's likely that he was on disc all along. When P4AU came out, people also hacked the game and were able to play Marie and Margaret when they weren't out yet. Oh, unless they had also been added in after patch 1.01. I'm not sure.

Only one way to find out. Get the guy to delete the patch and only the patch. See what happens afterward.

Rhapsody

Banned
Margaret wasn't on disc, Marie was though.

Laconic

Banned
What about On Patch DLC? Because I've seen confirmation neither way that he wasn't solely (or even mostly) on the disc or not.

That depends entirely on whether or not his data was completed prior to the disc going gold, doesn't it?

If it was legitimately finished after press, then I can see why it is DLC.

I see no reason why it ought to be PAID DLC, if it was finished so close to release.

If it was completed, and withheld, even less so.

Zissou

That depends entirely on whether or not his data was completed prior to the disc going gold, doesn't it?

If it was legitimately finished after press, then I can see why it is DLC.

I see no reason why it ought to be PAID DLC, if it was finished so close to release.

If it was completed, and withheld, even less so.

What if they budgeted separately for it?

It's kind of shitty how Leo isn't in the normal roster considering how big his role is in Story Mode.

I'd say it makes even less sense that Elphelt isn't when considering both her importance and the fact that
she's technically the last boss there

Qvoth

Having a hard time trying to get dust loops down consistently. Is the timing for each rep character specific?

no, dustloop timing is the same
it's how many reps you can do that depends on character weight
on light weight characters you can't do dustloop > fafnir > 6P > 5 HS > j.D > kudakero > etc, you must do dustloop reps on them
i saw dogura's sol guide on nicovideo, in it he said the most important thing is to do the 1st j.D really quick, if you did it the 2nd dust comes easily

Tobe

sin players help me out what are you current block strings, im currently thinking about poking with 5s 2s and elk into beak driver. tho fishing with 5s to 2s at max range wont combo into elk :/ what are the strings that you are using.

antibolo

Banned
Re: layouts

I don't have the game yet but I plan on using the following layout:

Code:
P K S HS
D - - T

Basically it would follow the typical style of having all regular attacks at the top in order of strength from left to right, and the "special" function on the lower left for the thumb.

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, the Dust button is not used that often so maybe it's a waste to put it there. I may go with the classic Guilty Gear layout instead.

Laconic

Banned
One of us is full of hyperbolic levels of nonsense.

Banking on self-knowledge, in lieu of, or even in light of, other sources, is often considered the wisest path, according to Sun Tzu... but you might want to reconsider your application of it, herein.

Bob White

That works online?

That's kind of funny actually.

I wonder if there's any bugs since I assume they will release a patch when he's officially released possibly patching up some things that they left unfinished?

Well, after I spectated a match with him being used and left the room, I couldn't connect to any lobby at all. Maybe it was my internet but I don't think so. Anyways, Leo looks fun as shit. The guy using him already seemed to have a ton of combos down and was wrecking people.

antibolo

Banned
Reading the previous page in this thread, a lot of people seem to not understand the reasoning behind putting kick on top of punch, they think it's illogical because all other fighting games do the reverse, which makes sense because hands are higher than feet on a human body, right? Well I think this is worth explaining, so here we go:

The main idea is that the attacks are laid out in order of strength, in a sideways L configuration. If we draw arrows between the links, we get something like this:
Code:
K -> S -> HS
^
|
P
If we were to swap P and K, it would no longer make sense because it would mess up the links.

But why this particular L shape you ask? Why didn't they just make a shape where P could actually be higher than K without breaking the links? There's also a pretty good reason for that! See, the way most button layouts are (such as the Viewlix layout which is commonly used), the buttons are slightly angled, which makes the L shape a bit deformed like this:
Code:
 K S HS
P
If you've ever seen a Neo Geo arcade layout, you may recognize this. Basically, Guilty Gear secretly uses a Neo Geo layout.

FinKL

Perfect explanation and what I was looking for thanks! Didn't know It was based on OG Neo Geo.
Reading the previous page in this thread, a lot of people seem to not understand the reasoning behind putting punch on top of kick, they think it's illogical because all other fighting games do the reverse, which makes sense because hands are higher than feet on a human body, right? Well I think this is worth explaining, so here we go:

The main idea is that the attacks are laid out in order of strength, in a sideways L configuration. If we draw arrows between the links, we get something like this:
Code:
K -> S -> HS
^
|
P
If we were to swap P and K, it would no longer make sense because it would mess up the links.

But why this particular L shape you ask? Why didn't they make a shape where P could actually be higher than K? There's also a pretty good reason for that! See, the way most button layouts are (such as the Viewlix layout which is commonly used), the buttons are slightly angled, which makes the L shape a bit deformed like this:
Code:
 K S HS
P
If you've ever seen a Neo Geo arcade layout, you may recognize this. Basically, Guilty Gear secretly uses a Neo Geo layout.

Grifter

Thanks, I started typing this right down to the Neo reference but you very politely nailed it. K's not over P, just as B isn't over A on a Neo cabinet and that translates directly to our now-standard JP 6-button layouts.

Also, GG did directly use the Neo layout. The dust button was added later.

Anyone want to play some games? I'm on east coast.

GGs, had to run. I had actually just come off a long set with a local Venom but but you showed me some new things with him!

pszet0

Banned
I don't really play fighters and I have never played a guilty gear game before. I did play Street fighter 4 for a couple months or so before moving on to other games. With that said the graphics and art style has really attracted me to this game. I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it but was a bit overwhelmed. Is this game beginner and casual friendly and how are the dualshock 4 controls? I don't have the money to invest in a 200$ fight stick.

Onemic

I don't really play fighters and I have never played a guilty gear game before. I did play Street fighter 4 for a couple months or so before moving on to other games. With that said the graphics and art style has really attracted me to this game. I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it but was a bit overwhelmed. Is this game beginner and casual friendly and how are the dualshock 4 controls? I don't have the money to invest in a 200$ fight stick.

nope. It's meant to kick your ass....but it has one of the best tutorials out there for learning how to play a FG

DS4 works fine, all depends on if you like the controller for fighters or not.

Rhapsody

Banned
nope. It's meant to kick your ass.

DS4 works fine, all depends on if you like the controller for fighters or not.

If we're talking about execution, I disagree. There's some hard stuff, but most of this game isn't even that bad.

It's a case of overcomplicating it like KoFXIII, imo, and will get people discouraged.

Edit: I see the edit, but still. lol

Onemic

If we're talking about execution, I disagree. There's some hard stuff, but most of this game isn't even that bad.

It's a case of overcomplicating it like KoFXIII, imo, and will get people discouraged.

Edit: I see the edit, but still. lol

Execution compared to what though? I'd say its in line with BB, which I also dont think is beginner friendly at all.

If I were to make a ranking of execution in games I've played it would be:

BB/GG>UMvC3>SF4>KOFXIII>3S

Rhapsody

Banned
Execution compared to what though? I'd say its in line with BB, which I also dont think is beginner friendly at all.

Easier than SF4. Lots of easy chains into sweep that have easy oki or built in safe jumps. Time slow down on RCs make it easy to combo extend as well compared to FADC ultra. While GG has a higher skill cap than BB, imo, you're able to have fun at the start a lot easier. You don't have to worry about learning optimal combos into some complicated setups. Different blocks aren't as crucial as it was in BB, and there's no throw reject miss.

Wakeup options is a big one too. IIRC, I remember you having issues back in BB where you wondered why you kept getting combo'ed by rolling backwards (or why your inputs made you roll at all). GG requires no button press or delay/quick get up.

Edit: I take back what I said on skill cap. Who knows which is harder at this point, Xrd or BBCP2.

Marz

Marvel's a lot easier than SF4 IMO, SF4 has a bunch of 1 and 2 frame links for a lot of the cast.

KoF is harder than both SF and Marvel, the inputs on specials are pretty strict.

Rhapsody

Banned
Marvel's a lot easier than SF4 IMO, SF4 has a bunch of 1 and 2 frame links for a lot of the cast.

KoF is harder than both SF and Marvel, the inputs on specials are pretty strict.

Concerning XIII, it's as lenient as 3rd Strike, imo. There's also the fact that the series give you an input hold buffer making linking easy (and linking specials is even more lenient than linking normals). The HD combos can certainly be annoying though given how long some of them can be.

fader

god i forgot how hard it is plying on pad. Just got Xrd and my thumbs are sore from playing for 3 hours... Cant wait for my PS3 stick to come in the mail tomorrow...

Zissou

Do different characters have different wake-up speeds?

regarding execution- In what world is SF4 easy? Marvel seems way easier to me. 1 frame links suck.

Onemic

marvel has links too, just not links in the traditional sf sense. Marvel is a whole lot harder than SF in terms of overall execution imo. A beginner will have a much easier time picking up SF4 than they ever would with Marvel. Maybe because it's the characters I played, but I can't see any beginner having an easier time learning an Iron man, Dante, or Vergil BnB vs learning c.mp, c.mp, c.hk with Ryu.

KOF on the other hand I think is by far the most overrated game in terms of execution. It's piss easy and this is coming from a person whos execution sucks. Everything's a chain, the only truly hard combos are certain characters HD's,(and a few advanced combos on some characters like Joe) which arent even that necessary when just starting out. The only thing that I would say is hard about KOF is that the jumpins are more strict(like in 3S) and inputs are more strict as well(although the button holding trick pretty much alleviates that problem.) In fact I'd say the main execution barrier for KOFXIII comes from its movement and jumps/hops more than anything else.

Easier than SF4. Lots of easy chains into sweep that have easy oki or built in safe jumps. Time slow down on RCs make it easy to combo extend as well compared to FADC ultra. While GG has a higher skill cap than BB, imo, you're able to have fun at the start a lot easier. You don't have to worry about learning optimal combos into some complicated setups. Different blocks aren't as crucial as it was in BB, and there's no throw reject miss.

Wakeup options is a big one too. IIRC, I remember you having issues back in BB where you wondered why you kept getting combo'ed by rolling backwards (or why your inputs made you roll at all). GG requires no button press or delay/quick get up.

Edit: I take back what I said on skill cap. Who knows which is harder at this point, Xrd or BBCP2.

If it's truly easier than SF4, I expect to be beating all you cats in about 3 months when I return from my hyperbolic time chamber with Ram :p

Korezo

I think SF is harder than marvel also. I put a ton of time on sf and still struggle with links while I played marvel for a few months and 5% of the time I put in sf and can do a ton of peoples bnb/loops/infinits.

Papstr

Neo Member
Do different characters have different wake-up speeds?

regarding execution- In what world is SF4 easy? Marvel seems way easier to me. 1 frame links suck.
If it's like +R they do have different speeds, and it might even still be different depending on if they are face up or face down.

Edit: double checked. They are different and do vary depending on face up or down.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
FW sales were meh btw.

06./00. [PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} (¥7.538) - 27.278 / NEW
16./00. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} (¥7.538) - 12.638 / NEW

That's depressing. :( I wonder how the digital sales were?

FluxWaveZ

I guess P4A's success is a given, but I wonder why BBCP did as well as it did compared to Xrd. Those sales are pretty poor. Hard to believe it would come down to the game's cast, and the PS3 version exists so it's not like it's all because of having to invest in a new arcade stick.

Blazblue is simply more popular now. It has tons of figures, novels, manga and even got a terrible anime (for BBCP release) while Guilty Gear was left for dead.

I guess that's what it comes down to, in the end.

3Kaze

Blazblue is simply more popular now. It has tons of figures, novels, manga and even got a terrible anime (for BBCP release) while Guilty Gear was left for dead.

Top Bottom