• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Keylow415

man i cant jump cancel to save my life :/, but its fun learning GG again and i hope online gets better its wired it be 4 bars and jump 0 or 1 up and down.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143104633 said:
... Why does everyone say to be fair on gaf?

To be fair, I usually just use it to soften what could otherwise be seen as an annoying correction if I can't suitably mold the tone to my liking when I'm not really trying to be a jerk about tacking on an emendation.

the only one I disagree with is KOF PC.
Yeah, it is more on par with SFIV.
Add Marvel vs. Capcom Origins to this list, it uses the same setup as SF3 and Darkstalkers.
I forgot

Too bad none of those are on PC. I would have really sunk my teeth into Vampire Resurrection and SF3:OE otherwise.
There is more out there than Skullgirls, but Skullgirls is the best I have experienced. I literally cannot tell the difference between online and offline play.
I usually can't either. I can only tell the difference when the ping goes above 100ms and their connection is unstable. Even 100ms pings that are perfectly stable are smoother experiences than anything all the other fighters offer online.

Was going to buy this but I have so many other games.. And it will probably drop at some point.

Its pretty but honestly I can't usually get into all the little system mechanics in arcsys games and the online will probably be unplayable with god tier players only in a few months. Not a huge fan of thr anime styke either.

I think fighting games only really work for younger people who are in school with lots of free time. Going to pass.

I think fighting games only really work for younger people who are in school with lots of free time. Going to pass.

Not entirely true, I think.

You just have to devote all your game playing time to the fighting game you want to improve in, is more like it. All that changes is the rate you get better.

You just have to devote all your game playing time to the fighting game you want to improve in, is more like it. All that changes is the rate you get better.

Right and I'm not willing to do that unfortunately. Would rather play a variety of single player games or just keep playing counter strike as a deep skill based game probably.

Its sad but I should probably just admit I have at least some skill in counterstrike and battlefield but almost zero for fighting games. I just get destroyed in all of them.

Kimosabae

Banned

To be fair, this is ridiculous.

if (if and only if) you're actually concerned about being good at the game, it just requires some discipline in terms of planning and being smart with your training mode regimen so it's always productive. It requires a bit of a lifestyle change; like any other training regimen you want to be productive. You just have to be willing to build some new habits.

Also, to be fair.

Essay

So it turns out you can't do the full motion for supers in order to register.

Like for Ramlethal's Explode the full motion won't register but 3614 will. And Calvados only works with 6146. Not sure why you have to skip certain points in the motion but there you go.

You sure about this? I've been doing the full inputs seemingly no different than the XX series and get them without issue. I can even input Ram's Explode with the old shortcut 2362364K and never even touch down-back.

mackmoney

I love GG but no A.B.A. and the realization this will hit $19.99 in a few months and see 3-5 updated iterations means I have to pass. I will pick up Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for $24.99 instead.

Kimosabae

Banned
i guess i meant to say the mission mode and challenge modes are great. haven't tried the tutorial yet, but i'm sure it's at least as good.

Kimosabae

Banned
Has there ever been a quality Venom that minimized the charge aspects of the character? I love Venom, but I've always kinda hated learning charage characters. I just want to see how far I can take him before I buckle down and really start integrating Stinger and CR into my game.

fader

Has there ever been a quality Venom that minimized the charge aspects of the character? I love Venom, but I've always kinda hated learning charage characters. I just want to see how far I can take him before I buckle down and really start integrating Stinger and CR into my game.

yea fino is a really good venom player you can watch a few matches of his

rookiejet

Right and I'm not willing to do that unfortunately. Would rather play a variety of single player games or just keep playing counter strike as a deep skill based game probably.

Its sad but I should probably just admit I have at least some skill in counterstrike and battlefield but almost zero for fighting games. I just get destroyed in all of them.

To be fair, with fighting games you kind of have to not hinge your enjoyment solely on winning. Even when you get "good", you'll still probably lose a lot. It's just how it goes. Like the wise jchensor sensei says in some episode of the hella verbose but hella entertaining and informative show First Attack (<3 you jchensor, UltraDavid senseis), "play to learn." Focus on improving as opposed to just winning, and with a little time the initial pain of losing will transform to a much more enjoyable pain of learning. It's hard, especially at first, but feels good, and honestly up there with the most rewarding experiences I've had and have. No single-player game experience can compare to it to me now.

I hope you stick around. Look to the show I've linked for more concrete ideas than I can provide on how to improve. And I'm sure people here or on the FGW thread will oblige with whatever questions you have, and play with you, etc.

Kimosabae

Banned
Focus on improving as opposed to just winning, and with a little time the initial pain of losing will transform to a much more enjoyable pain of learning.

That's just legit life advice right there. Should be on a bumper sticker or something.

That's why I play fighting games. The competitive nature of them helps you grow as a person. You could treat them like any other type of video game if you want, but that'd be doing the genre, and yourself, a disservice, imo.

You sure about this? I've been doing the full inputs seemingly no different than the XX series and get them without issue. I can even input Ram's Explode with the old shortcut 2362364K and never even touch down-back.

Yeah, on the PS4 controller. Trying to do full motions gives me nothing which is what I've been doing up until this point since it worked fine in BB/other games.

That's just legit life advice right there. Should be on a bumper sticker or something.

That's why I play fighting games. The competitive nature of them helps you grow as a person. You could treat them like any other type of video game if you want, but that'd be doing the genre, and yourself, a disservice, imo.

I try to think this way too but when the idea of dedicating time to a game to "improve" comes around I just think its a waste of time and I'd rather do something else like read a book or learn a new skill or go to the gym an extra hour.

With other games you play for fun but playing to be serious just seems like a waste of time.

Kimosabae

Banned
I try to think this way too but when the idea of dedicating time to a game to "improve" comes around I just think its a waste of time and I'd rather do something else like read a book or learn a new skill or go to the gym an extra hour.

With other games you play for fun but playing to be serious just seems like a waste of time.

Be honest with yourself: when those opportunities come around, do you actually do those other, more "productive" things?

Or just play another video game that requires less focus and dedication?

I'm willing to guess it's the latter, based on everything you've posted thus far.

Thing is, the character qualities that determine the success of your gym routines/reading habits can be developed by playing fighting games, competitively. Time management, problem solving, dedication to tasks and discipline, confidence etc. are all transferable skills/characteristics. It comes down to how bad you want it, in all cases. How badly do you want to absorb the materials of that book? How badly do you want to be in better health and better shape? How badly do you want to be good at Guilty Gear?

If the answer is "Not very badly" to all, or any of these, then your success at any/all of these tasks will reflect that.

Personally, I think playing games just for fun is a waste of time, which is why I don't play many games that aren't fighting games. But that isn't to say that life doesn't have its moments where wasting time is beneficial, also.

"We do not know today whether we are busy or idle. In times when we thought ourselves indolent, we have afterwards discovered, that much was accomplished, and much was begun in us."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson; "Experience"

Skilletor

I don't see how "Playing for fun" is any less a waste of time than getting better at a game. Why aren't you reading a book or learning a new skill instead of posting on a message board?

Sayad

"Serious play isn't fun" It's like we're in a Smash thread.
9ovvu0I.gif

Marz

I want to get through it as fast as possible. I also have to pay attention to when it asks me to save and continue.

Set your x button turbo on, put the remote control on your x button, browse GAF and only look up when it gets to the save screen.

Took me all of 15 mins to finish the story.

Skilletor

Set your x button turbo on, put the remote control on your x button, browse GAF and only look up when it gets to the save screen.

Took me all of 15 mins to finish the story.

I'm all done. Almost unlocked sin. 12k more points to go.

I hate unlockable characters in fighters. -_-

Hugstable

Banned
The wait for this game is so hard especially when everyone seem to already be playing and discussing the game. Just release it on PSN already Sony! My PSN wallet is ready!

Kimosabae

Banned
Has anyone tried finishing the story more than once to get points? Don't wanna waste my time.

Marz, did it really take you only about 15 minutes? Because even after I utilized that method about halfway through, it still took me another hour at least (I did pause to watch a 5 second cutscene every now and again).

"Serious play isn't fun" It's like we're in a Smash thread.
9ovvu0I.gif

This too. As you get older, you start to get more enjoyment out of things that take effort to derive satisfaction from and everything else is just empty calories.

And again, there's a time and place for empty calories, but they become less valuable as you get older, and too much in excess only serve to make you fat and lethargic.

Marz

Has anyone tried finishing the story more than once to get points? Don't wanna waste my time.

Marz, did it really take you only about 15 minutes? Because even after I utilized that method about halfway through, it still took me another hour at least (I did pause to watch a 5 second cutscene every now and again).

Estimating it was around that long, it seemed fairly quick to me although my sense of time isn't the best.

Skilletor

If you don't care then why don't you just not do it?

Because it's the fastest way to get points?

Took me like 30-45 minutes skipping every scene and dialogue.

At least you can unlock him in-game instead of just having the only option be paying money for him!

That's fine. I'd rather pay money than waste my time, though. If the store were updated, I'd have spent the 3 bucks or whatever to unlock him.

Essay

How does GG play on pad? I have no PS4 stick, and I'm weary of buying a CronusMax because I've heard murmurings of input lag.

1) I've seen my fair share of successful pad players in tournament. Shouldn't be too big of a problem if you've actually got good pad execution.
2) I'd be surprised, as the Cronus line market themselves as having sub-1-frame lag, and my old one felt solid, but the Max is a different product, so I ought not to speak for it.

Top Bottom