• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Skilletor

When did we start hating stance characters? I miss something?

All this talk about execution is making me want to try Ram, even though I hate her design. In a nutshell, what makes her challenging?

RIP Xrd. We hardly knew ye.

*sniff*

I love them. Leo looks sick as fuck.

Am I alone in feeling Sin's dp's hitbox needs to be a bit bigger?

I am okay with rebuying the game annually, if they release them in a timely matter. I really hate how we have to wait nearly a year just to get the arcade port. When we get the new version from console, they already had plan for a new arcade revision.

I don't mind getting the game some time after the arcades, but they need to stop treating the console versions as a 1.5 version of the game in turn making us wait much more :|

Her combos are a little difficult but the main thing that makes her hard is most definitely her neutral game.

I don't find her neutral to be that difficult.

At least in my case it's mostly poke with swords and 5S (sword equipped), if you hit follow up with Dauro then combo into corner, wake up sword then go for more fishing and hope they don't get out somehow.

Rhapsody

Banned
I figured out some of Elphelt's unblockable setups on week one, haha.

That video is pretty good though since it shows some rather optimal combos for damage and meter gain for another rep. I'm going to have to steal some of that stuff for my Elphelt. Also pointing out that more people need to use 2HS for her. It's a good combo tool that people keep forgetting about, especially when you're poking with f.S with her.

Kimosabae

Banned
What's the optimal Burst point in the followup combo after the unblockable?

SO many characters I like in this series fuuuuuuu.....

Why can't I be a teenager again

*edit*

Wow at the nerf bat Faust's 6HS got hit with. Sin''s 214S has more range than it now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Doesn't look worse than Zato, so no complaints on my end :p

Yup, especially since Zato's is off of anything if you're good enough and without meter (who cares if he can't loop it) lol

Anyways, I decided to test out the Ky one from the vid since that one didn't look tight. Exact combo and timing (to my knowledge), I was able to jump out. The pineberry wasn't close enough to detonating from the blockstun of the toss. I'm pretty sure I special canceled into the berry early enough to make the attack level high and the detonation closer, and it still wasn't tight. Looks like you can IB it anyways and then jump out.

Her gameplan definitely revolves around Pineberry, but not the unblockable setup, imo.

Edit: Koichi's Elphelt is sick

JohnCYQ

So I took the plunge and bought a PS4 along with Xrd, started doing some of the tutorials and some AI battles (where I lost spectacularly for the most part).

Are there any tips for beginners when it comes to executing those directional moves? Sometimes I pull it off, other times I spend a good amount of time failing to do so. Also, any beginner-friendly characters to start out with? Only been using Sol so far as part of the tutorial.

Onemic

So I took the plunge and bought a PS4 along with Xrd, started doing some of the tutorials and some AI battles (where I lost spectacularly for the most part).

Are there any tips for beginners when it comes to executing those directional moves? Sometimes I pull it off, other times I spend a good amount of time failing to do so. Also, any beginner-friendly characters to start out with? Only been using Sol so far as part of the tutorial.

Ky, he's like Ryu

FluxWaveZ

I was never a fan of picking a character to learn a game with. IMO you should learn the game with the character, because you learn the mechanics through the perspective of that character. If you try to learn all the tricks Ky for example can do with the system, then if you switched over to, (and this is an extreme example sure,) say, someone like Bedman, you'd get confused because you'd be thinking of situations in terms of Ky. Even if its someone who isn't as complex, like Sol, you'd still feel a disconnect on how to view situations.

I'm of this mindset. At least in my case, I don't believe in a character that is better to start off with than another. There are characters that fit the typical Ryu standard, but it's not like learning those characters first will then branch that knowledge out to how the neutral game or most other combat relevant situations of other characters are played. How I see it, the people who start off with Sol or Ky in order to learn the game will most likely just end up sticking to them, instead of moving on to another character.

Ferrio

Banned
Online is unplayable (10 frames +) for me ever since that PS4 patch, anyone else?

Really really sucks, I'm hoping this isn't how it stays.

Ky and Faust are pretty easy to learn.

Doesn't look worse than Zato, so no complaints on my end :p

Oh I am not complaining, I just didn't realize there was no way to counter it outside of blitzshield. Hardly surprising that there are setups for it. Would getting hit by the grenade lead to a worse combo I wonder? Since it will cause hitstun but little to not damage?

Coda

Played a little bit of Axl-Low today, he's pretty sweet. But I-No is still my main for sure. Bashing people with a guitar and mic stand never gets old.

Bob White

Online is unplayable (10 frames +) for me ever since that PS4 patch, anyone else?

Really really sucks, I'm hoping this isn't how it stays.

Oh no, it's like that for me now to so you're not the only one. I've basically stopped playing since the patch.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh I am not complaining, I just didn't realize there was no way to counter it outside of blitzshield. Hardly surprising that there are setups for it. Would getting hit by the grenade lead to a worse combo I wonder? Since it will cause hitstun but little to not damage?

Nope, I still get pretty much the same combo/damage if the explosion was the starter.

Onemic

Finally beginning to get the hang of ram's midscreen to corner combos. Now I just have to learn her actual corner combos...thats gonna suck

Ferrio

Banned
Sure

I created a room in district 9-A.

Well net code was great there. That was really difficult, a bit under the influence.

I really need to pull more mixups with Sin. Also damn you every time I landed my big combo opener (doesn't happen often) you'd burst.

Bob White

Update on the matches Ferrio and I just had. It ran kinda ok but then someone entered the room and it kind of felt laggy again. Maybe it was that train level? I don't know. ggs anyways, Ferrio.

quick edit

I think the large player lobbies really mess with netcode. If it's 1v1 things feel fine but with you start throwing in spectators and shit, things get garbage. I wish every game ran as smoothly as ours just did. Though I kinda felt bad dodging that guy that joined to keep playing you lol.

Ferrio

Banned
Update on the matches Ferrio and I just had. It ran kinda ok but then someone entered the room and it kind of felt laggy again. Maybe it was that train level? I don't know. ggs anyways, Ferrio.

quick edit

I think the large player lobbies really mess with netcode. If it's 1v1 things feel fine but with you start throwing in spectators and shit, things get garbage. I wish every game ran as smoothly as ours just did. Though I kinda felt bad dodging that guy that joined to keep playing you lol.

Well can always do the player match with pw. Wish you could invite though, what is so shitty about ps4 that they couldn't include it?

fader

quick edit

netcode is p2p based, large lobbies wont affect it.

Ferrio

Banned
netcode is p2p based, large lobbies wont affect it.

Except they communicate with each other. You get results from other people in the lobby when they win/lose so it must be doing some reporting back and forth between them. Not to mention any spectators.

Sayad

I'm of this mindset. At least in my case, I don't believe in a character that is better to start off with than another. There are characters that fit the typical Ryu standard, but it's not like learning those characters first will then branch that knowledge out to how the neutral game or most other combat relevant situations of other characters are played. How I see it, the people who start off with Sol or Ky in order to learn the game will most likely just end up sticking to them, instead of moving on to another character.
For those who's this game is their first anime game, starting with Ky make things easier as in, you can directly start learning how/when to use the system mechanics without having to invest much time in learning the character, you don't need proper BnBs or a general game plan to start putting up a fight with Ky. And less investment in the character make it easier to switch later if you wanted. Still, even if they don't switch, another Ky player is much better than someone dropping the game because he was overwhelmed by all the things he had to learn.

FluxWaveZ

For those who's this game is their first anime game, starting with Ky make things easier as in, you can directly start learning how/when to use the system mechanics without having to invest much time in learning the character, you don't need proper BnBs or a general game plan to start putting up a fight with Ky. And less investment in the character make it easier to switch later if you wanted. Still, even if they don't switch, another Ky player is much better than someone dropping the game because he was overwhelmed by all the things he had to learn.

I can see that, but it all depends on the player. P4A was my first anime game (or fighting game at all, really), and the first character I started learning was Shadow Labrys simply because she was cool. I knew I was gonna stick with the game regardless, so I much preferred the prospect of starting out by learning a character I actually wanted to play as than just learning what is recommended for beginners.

Damn, it looks like my pre-order from Amazon won't be here until Thursday due to a payment issue. It was supposed to be here on Tuesday. :(

Hopefully there are no more delays...

Except they communicate with each other. You get results from other people in the lobby when they win/lose so it must be doing some reporting back and forth between them. Not to mention any spectators.

Neither participant is held up on external lobby events, so nope.

Top Bottom