• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

How does GG play on pad? I have no PS4 stick, and I'm weary of buying a CronusMax because I've heard murmurings of input lag.
I'm forced to play on a pad right now because Madcatz hasn't shipped my PS4 stick, and while its pretty much impossible for me because I haven't used a pad for a fighting game in years, it does feel like it'd be entirely doable if you were practiced in using a pad. That is, unless you wanted to play Zato since he requires a lot of negative edging.

Onemic

Good thing I have yet to touch online in the game. Gonna wait till the game is actually 'out' in NA when the patch comes to try it out.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I try to think this way too but when the idea of dedicating time to a game to "improve" comes around I just think its a waste of time and I'd rather do something else like read a book or learn a new skill or go to the gym an extra hour.

With other games you play for fun but playing to be serious just seems like a waste of time.
It's not really asking much more than changing your mindset. If you want to be a top tournament player, sure that takes time. If you wanna be competent and have some good matches, you just have to pay attention to what works, what doesn't etc. Maybe drill some combos for a few hours.

Still far less wasted time than playing a MMO.

Durask

Well I did it
Picked up regular edition at GameStop even though I have the special edition on preorder at Amazon.

Must play Guilty Gear.

Metro Redux ... Nothing personal but it's back to the backlog pile for you...

Wonko_C

This is going to be available next week on PSN (PS3 version), right? I just want to know because I have enough money in my wallet and I don't think I'll be seeing the physical copy around here anytime soon.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This is going to be available next week on PSN (PS3 version), right? I just want to know because I have enough money in my wallet and I don't think I'll be seeing the physical copy around here anytime soon.

image.php

But Chile needs more variety! Not every fighting game needs to be Marvel, Mortal Kombat, or KOF. D:

Mission mode is great. It's pretty excellent for beginner/intermidiet players that are dedicated. Basically anyone that is willing to put in the time into the game but doesn't have a complete grasp of all the concepts in a 2d fighting game.

It's pretty useless for getting new players into these games though haha.

Quick question: Pretty much any character should be good for learning movement and spacing and positioning right? Right now I still feel extremely stiff with Sol so that's on me right?

Azure J

I'm forced to play on a pad right now because Madcatz hasn't shipped my PS4 stick, and while its pretty much impossible for me because I haven't used a pad for a fighting game in years, it does feel like it'd be entirely doable if you were practiced in using a pad. That is, unless you wanted to play Zato since he requires a lot of negative edging.

Would you say it'd be easy to pick up Ram or Elph on pad? I don't have a stick and figured as an ex-Marvel player who got pretty decent with a pad, I could do well here.

Sayad

Quick question: Pretty much any character should be good for learning movement and spacing and positioning right? Right now I still feel extremely stiff with Sol so that's on me right?
Ky is better/easier to learn spacing and positioning with. His normals feel natural and hit where you expect them to(most other characters have some weird normals).

Would you say it'd be easy to pick up Ram or Elph on pad? I don't have a stick and figured as an ex-Marvel player who got pretty decent with a pad, I could do well here.
Pad or a stick, Ram doesn't seem easy to pick up. :(
Biggest problem I'm having with the DS4 is doing jump cancels-instant air dash, hitting 9 on the DS4 can give you 8, 6 or 98 which screw you 9 6 IAD.

Qvoth

But Sol is just so fun in terms of the aesthetic and how over the top everything about him is. From how hard his attacks hit, to the nockback, and dragon install that just turns everything up to 11.

oh i main sol ever since the very 1st GG so i'm definitely familiar with his appeal
i'm just saying ky's the ryu of this game, sol is ken

Can't speak for Ramlethal, but Elphelt's not that hard execution wise so you should be fine with her.

Really, as long as you're comfortable doing IADs you could play anyone on pad with little issue. Zato-1 is really the only one I'd see causing problems but I'm sure you could just remap the buttons to find a comfortable setup.

Just watched that Leo preview video. I'm not liking the fact that he's a stance character, but I still want to give him a shot. I like his aesthetic, and based on the video, it looks like he has some nasty looking pressure with easy execution. We'll see.

Baust

Danger time is a really a fun concept. Just did this in M.O.M. Mode:

y3Op2Z.gif

I should have followed up with something much cooler. Oh well.

Papstr

Neo Member
Imo Ky is a better character to start gg with

I was never a fan of picking a character to learn a game with. IMO you should learn the game with the character, because you learn the mechanics through the perspective of that character. If you try to learn all the tricks Ky for example can do with the system, then if you switched over to, (and this is an extreme example sure,) say, someone like Bedman, you'd get confused because you'd be thinking of situations in terms of Ky. Even if its someone who isn't as complex, like Sol, you'd still feel a disconnect on how to view situations.

But Sol is just so fun in terms of the aesthetic and how over the top everything about him is. From how hard his attacks hit, to the nockback, and dragon install that just turns everything up to 11.

Honestly if you love the character just play them. Sol isn't as simple on the surface as Ky is, but he's basic enough that you can get started pretty easily. As I said yesterday, there's plenty of people who are willing to help if you ever have questions.

Honestly if you love the character just play them. Sol isn't as simple on the surface as Ky is, but he's basic enough that you can get started pretty easily. As I said yesterday, there's plenty of people who are willing to help if you ever have questions.
Honestly I have no particular questions that I feel like need to be answered, that I know of. I am just grousing as I am going through the learning process, expect more of that from me depending on how frustrated I get.

On top of that Ky is probably more my style more than anything, he just feels a bit boring. Mainly because I play lame and don't know how to pressure.

Kimosabae

Banned
When did we start hating stance characters? I miss something?

All this talk about execution is making me want to try Ram, even though I hate her design. In a nutshell, what makes her challenging?

RIP Xrd. We hardly knew ye.

*sniff*

Kimosabae

Banned
Ultimately, harpooning the accused with the 'Self-Fulfillling Prophecy' is going to boil down to a Free-Will vs. Determinism argument. Unless you're willing to have that discussion: it's not worth bringing up.

I lean towards the latter, and Rational Choice Theory suggests there will be undeniable socio-psychological forces that will compel the majority to prioritize Street Fighter over any other fighting game next year. It is what it is. My hope is that the rising tide raises all boats.

*edit*
That is the second time in as many days I've come across the word "grousing".

Ok since I am not entirely convinced that this is the place to have a philospical discussion. Keep that shit where you orginally expressed that sentiment.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are we not all pawns in this cosmic game of riddles and lies? Like sands through the hourglass so are the days of my life.

Kimosabae

Banned
Keep that shit where you orginally expressed that sentiment.

Hey, you can play the dismissive little prick, if that makes you feel good. The Self Fulfilling Prophecy is essentially a socio-philosophical notion and you brought it to the table. Without being cognizant of the irony behind your use of it, no less.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
wtf are you guys talking about...
"Anime can only focus on one game at a given time lolz"

That being said, next year we should be getting a repeat of this year's ASW lineup: BBCP 2.0 patch, followed by P4AU patch, and I'm pretty damn sure Xrd will get an upgrade next year too. I ain't even mad.

Onemic

Hey, you can play the dismissive little prick, if that makes you feel good. The Self Fulfilling Prophecy is essentially a socio-philosophical notion and you brought it to the table. Without being cognizant of the irony behind your use of it, no less.

Please stop with the big words man.

Marz

Goddamn Leo looks fucking badass. These character designs are probably my favorite in any fighting game ever.

I'm going to wait and see how I like how Leo feels before I go all in on Zato. Puppet characters just play way too differently from the rest of casts so if I make that investment I'm going to have to dedicate all my game time to just him.

Wanted to play Milia but she's too extreme for me, I like characters that can zone, play defense, and rushdown and she's just pure rushdown. She's cheap as fuck though I can see why people put her near the top.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
"Anime can only focus on one game at a given time lolz"

That being said, next year we should be getting a repeat of this year's ASW lineup: BBCP 2.0 patch, followed by P4AU patch, and I'm pretty damn sure Xrd will get an upgrade next year too. I ain't even mad.

I am okay with rebuying the game annually, if they release them in a timely matter. I really hate how we have to wait nearly a year just to get the arcade port. When we get the new version from console, they already had plan for a new arcade revision.

Uraizen

Banned
I really hate how we have to wait nearly a year just to get the arcade port.

Can't be quoted enough, but at least we get new characters on the home release, DLC or not. Either way, it's still too long of a wait.

Top Bottom