• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Rhapsody

Banned
Did Slayer lose mappa feint? I've been doing it out of habit for a few sessions and just realized he's not stopping early.

Yeah. Slayer lost a lot of stuff now. Sure he has some tricks from YRC and RC to make up for things, but he's more boring now. : /
I'll still use him as a sub, but he's just not as interesting.

Onemic

I can see that, but it all depends on the player. P4A was my first anime game (or fighting game at all, really), and the first character I started learning was Shadow Labrys simply because she was cool. I knew I was gonna stick with the game regardless, so I much preferred the prospect of starting out by learning a character I actually wanted to play as than just learning what is recommended for beginners.

I still dont believe this :p

You were like S tier in that game after less than a month lol. If it really was I should quit fighting games right now

I can see that, but it all depends on the player. P4A was my first anime game (or fighting game at all, really), and the first character I started learning was Shadow Labrys simply because she was cool. I knew I was gonna stick with the game regardless, so I much preferred the prospect of starting out by learning a character I actually wanted to play as than just learning what is recommended for beginners.
I 100% agree with this attitude. MvC3 was my first real fighting game, and focusing on a character I want to play is essential.

FluxWaveZ

I still dont believe this :p

You were like S tier in that game after less than a month lol. If it really was I should quit fighting games right now

Heh, I dunno about the S tier part. I had played some Melee and Brawl really casually with a small group of people on occasion before that point, I guess, and the first game I owned for my first gaming console was ClayFighter 63 1/3! SFIV was the first fighting game where I actually started playing people outside of my small group due to online, and I played a lot of it.

I consider P4A truly my first FG, though, because that's the first one I actually desired to learn and dedicate time to improve in, and the first one where I learned how a fighting game is actually supposed to be played. Never went into Training mode before that point, and didn't know what basic stuff like frame data or oki was, and didn't read up on anything in order to gain knowledge; my game plan was just throwing caution to the wind before P4A (which I still like to do, ha).

I've not been as motivated to improve in Xrd as much as I did in P4A, but I'm having a fun time with this being my first GG, and I do want to take the time to learn. I'm happy with the progress I've already had with my main.

Onemic

Heh, I dunno about the S tier part. I had played some Melee and Brawl really casually with a small group of people on occasion before that point, I guess, and the first game I owned for my first gaming console was ClayFighter 63 1/3! SFIV was the first fighting game where I actually started playing people outside of my small group due to online, and I played a lot of it.

I consider P4A truly my first FG, though, because that's the first one I actually desired to learn and dedicate time to improve in, and the first one where I learned how a fighting game is actually supposed to be played. Never went into Training mode before that point, and didn't know what basic stuff like frame data or oki was, and didn't read up on anything in order to gain knowledge; my game plan was just throwing caution to the wind before P4A (which I still like to do, ha).

I've not been as motivated to improve in Xrd as much as I did in P4A, but I'm having a fun time with this being my first GG, and I do want to take the time to learn. I'm happy with the progress I've already had with my main.

Hopefully GG will be to me like how P4A was to you. Right now though....It's gonna take a looooong time before I feel like I'm even ready to play anyone in this game online or off. Now that exams are done I'm gonna be grinding this game like crazy. Hopefully I can make some progress by the months end.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hopefully GG will be to me like how P4A was to you. Right now though....It's gonna take a looooong time before I feel like I'm even ready to play anyone in this game online or off. Now that exams are done I'm gonna be grinding this game like crazy. Hopefully I can make some progress by the months end.

Well no excuses now, you have the best character in the game as your main.

Onemic

But her stuff is so hard :(

Like I'm still just working on her basic combos and stuff. Not even going into oki and pressure. My timeline for me to get even remotely decent(decent meaning able to win a single match off of anyone here or on ranked) would probably be 1-3 months it's looking like.

To be fair, P4A is just about the easiest fighting game you can get into. Not to imply Flux isn't good or anything, but it's a bit different.
Also not to diminish P4A's worth as a game, it's probably my favorite fighting game

That's not Zato.

Rhapsody

Banned
But her stuff is so hard :(

Like I'm still just working on her basic combos and stuff. Not even going into oki and pressure. My timeline for me to get even remotely decent(decent meaning able to win a single match off of anyone here or on ranked) would probably be 1-3 months it's looking like.

I've yet to try her, so I wouldn't know. The only new character I've been using is Elphelt since I'm able to pick up the veterans much faster. I don't have a large interest in learning her, but I feel like I should in order to prepare for the matchup. I haven't played anyone here besides Q since I've been busy with exams. I don't like entering big lobbies anyway.

Regarding everyone I've played in Xrd ever, Q's been the only one to beat me cleanly, and the connection was stable enough too. It's got me to remember that I need to use H shadow more while doing 214K when Ky's zoning with Stun Edge and j.D.

FluxWaveZ

I think it's important to force yourself to face other players, even if you think you don't know what you're doing. The truth is, compared to P4A, I've been much more intimidated facing other players because I feel like this isn't a new FG where everyone's starting from scratch, but another iteration of a really old one where I, as a newbie, have to face GG veterans with years of knowledge. It's kinda scary, but the way I improve the most is by playing as many matches as I can against others, even when I was just button mashing a week ago.

The UBW online tourneys, for example. In the first one less than a week ago, I got eliminated from the tournament after I lost my very first two matches. I knew I was going to get my ass beat, but I have to play in these so I can get better. I'm happier with the performance I got in yesterday's tourney—showing signs of improvement—and I would recommend signing up for the one on the 21st. I've always preferred learning intuitively from competitive matches and observation rather than from a static environment (i.e. Training mode).

Rhapsody

Banned
If you don't mind me asking, who have you settled on, Flux? Zato?

I'm willing to help anyone out in the future in whatever way I can, as long as it's within what I know.

Onemic

I think it's important to force yourself to face other players, even if you think you don't know what you're doing. The truth is, compared to P4A, I've been much more intimidated facing other players because I feel like this isn't a new FG where everyone's starting from scratch, but another iteration of a really old one where I, as a newbie, have to face GG veterans with years of knowledge. It's kinda scary, but the way I improve the most is by playing as many matches as I can against others, even when I was just button mashing a week ago.

The UBW online tourneys, for example. In the first one less than a week ago, I got eliminated from the tournament after I lost my very first two matches. I knew I was going to get my ass beat, but I have to play in these so I can get better. I'm happier with the performance I got in yesterday's tourney—showing signs of improvement—and I would recommend signing up for the one on the 21st. I've always preferred learning intuitively from competitive matches and observation rather than from a static environment (i.e. Training mode).

I might just do this.

I tend to shy away from playing others when I'm really unfamiliar with a game as I can get easily discouraged when I'm just getting my ass beat and I dont really know what I'm doing wrong/what I should be doing. Perfect example is BB. I quit that game because I was getting destroyed by literally everyone left right and center and I never knew exactly what I was doing wrong or how I could improve. It was just like someone would knock me down and then I'd be at their mercy until I died. When I have some sense of what to do I can actually learn from my losses rather than just staring blanky at the screen looking at what seems to be a singleplayer game to the person I'm facing :p

FluxWaveZ

If you don't mind me asking, who have you settled on, Flux? Zato?

I'm willing to help anyone out in the future in whatever way I can, as long as it's within what I know.

Yeah, my main's Zato-1. I thought he was still "evil" and he's a puppet character, so when I first started playing, I went to him and didn't look back.

Negative edging is a concept I hadn't really ever used before now, but it's pretty much essential for him. It's interesting... Still a bit overwhelming for me, but I feel comfortable playing as him, as it reminds me of when I started out with Shadow Labrys.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
To be fair, P4A is just about the easiest fighting game you can get into. Not to imply Flux isn't good or anything, but it's a bit different.
Also not to diminish P4A's worth as a game, it's probably my favorite fighting game

That's not Zato.

What's it like compared to blazblue? I'm pretty much in Flux's spot only with that, but I never played P4A. Got seriously into BB(with tager) but this will be my first Guilty Gear, mostly eying Potemkin or Faust.

Riou

Did Slayer lose mappa feint? I've been doing it out of habit for a few sessions and just realized he's not stopping early.

I am not sure what mappa feints are but I was getting bopped by your slayer haha. Thanks for the games again. Sorry that I wasn't much of a challenge. I'm in that character vortex but I think I have found someone to really focus on. I just unlocked Sin after my session with you and I'm really liking that character.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, my main's Zato-1. I thought he was still "evil" and he's a puppet character, so when I first started playing, I went to him and didn't look back.

Negative edging is a concept I hadn't really ever used before now, but it's pretty much essential for him. It's interesting... Still a bit overwhelming for me, but I feel comfortable playing as him, as it reminds me of when I started out with Shadow Labrys.
Ah. Luckily most of his negative edge stuff will feel like regular combo inputs during pressure and mixups. It's just neutral where things feel weird because of moving Eddie. I dunno if you already have it down, but some important things to practice are alternating between drills and S shadow, and learning to do early meaty drills (after throw or something).

The former helps you on zoning in matchups. That and because drills will negate any projectiles that might kill the shadow. You'll be moving the shadow forward during this while approaching with your character too. The latter is for more frame advantage. You want to recover from the drill before they exit block stun since you want to summon the shadow from the puddle formed.
What's it like compared to blazblue? I'm pretty much in Flux's spot only with that, but I never played P4A. Got seriously into BB(with tager) but this will be my first Guilty Gear, mostly eying Potemkin or Faust.

I think there's less stuff you have to learn from the get go. They're similar, but you don't have to worry about different wakeup options (no rolling, you just get up). That and knockdown into oki is actually straight forward. Standard BnBs are short too. They share similar ideas, they just feel pretty different though.

Astarte

I finally got to play some locals today. I learned three things: Millia fear is still real, Slayer counterhits HURT, and someone please save me from Eddie

Zomba13

This is out on the NA PSN store tomorrow (Tuesday 16th)right? I can buy it on my PS4 if I use an American account and PSN store money card things right? Even on my EU PS4, and play with my EU account and use the DLC from the NA account and all that right?

Memory

This is out on the NA PSN store tomorrow (Tuesday 16th)right? I can buy it on my PS4 if I use an American account and PSN store money card things right? Even on my EU PS4, and play with my EU account and use the DLC from the NA account and all that right?

Thats correct, im from UK and ive been playing the HK version and dlc since luanch my UK account. I missed the free dlc time period or i would have got the JP version.

Edit: All versions are exactley the same and have both English & Japanese Voice and text options.

Tizoc

Got my PS3 copy today =D
So a few things
1- Where's the intro cutscene?! At least let the arcade intro run =/
2- I need a new HDTV....
3- Bah gawd Capcom and SNK have spoiled me. SPOILED ME! That or my timing is off from not playing fighters on PS3 for a while. My QCFx2s and HCB, Fs don't come out as often, and why the hell is Potemkin's body charge super so tricky to pull off?!
4- DAT POT! How the hell is the announcer pronouncing his name though, it's like he is saying 'Champion' lol
5- DAT POT WALK ANIMATION! HE FINALLY GOT THE EXTRA ANIMATION FRAMES HE'S BEEN NEEDING FOR YEARS!
6- DAT RAMLEGAL (Seriously Boss Ram's laser canon is ridiculous lol)

I only messed with Pot and Ram but Ram is too complex for me, I'll stick to Pot. Now to hit up Dustloop and learn his combos and shit.

EDIT: 1 CRITICISM THOUGH!
I got the US ver. but when I go to set up my location for online matchmaking, my region and country don't show up in the world map T.T I don't live anywhere near glorious Nippon, Eagleland, South America or Europe.

Yeah you'll be fine. Mind you, there's evidence that it might be getting a stealth digital only release in the EU on Wednesday. I'm still trying to dig up confirmation, but nothing so far. Awful PR if true, though.

So, were these gameplay videos of Leo that Famitsu uploaded posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7MvXaUqms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kODwbn7DI

What is Japan's obsession with neglecting YouTube's HD upload features. Jesus christ. Not even 720p?

Tizoc

Those with the PS4 ver., could you please put up an image of Potemkin's victory pose please?

Yeah you'll be fine. Mind you, there's evidence that it might be getting a stealth digital only release in the EU on Wednesday. I'm still trying to dig up confirmation, but nothing so far. Awful PR if true, though.

What is Japan's obsession with neglecting YouTube's HD upload features. Jesus christ. Not even 720p?

You'd think with their stronger net connection they'd be able to put it up, but I guess less bandwidth is good for them due to loading etc.?

Spuck-uk

Banned
I have no idea where Sin will shake out in the tier lists, but his damage output is absolutely mental for relatively little effort.

Galdelico

Got my PS3 copy today =D
So a few things
2- I need a new HDTV....
3- Bah gawd Capcom and SNK have spoiled me. SPOILED ME! That or my timing is off from not playing fighters on PS3 for a while. My QCFx2s and HCB, Fs don't come out as often, and why the hell is Potemkin's body charge super so tricky to pull off?!
4- DAT POT! How the hell is the announcer pronouncing his name though, it's like he is saying 'Champion' lol
5- DAT POT WALK ANIMATION! HE FINALLY GOT THE EXTRA ANIMATION FRAMES HE'S BEEN NEEDING FOR YEARS!

I only messed with Pot and Ram but Ram is too complex for me, I'll stick to Pot. Now to hit up Dustloop and learn his combos and shit.

I got the US ver. but when I go to set up my location for online matchmaking, my region and country don't show up in the world map T.T I don't live anywhere near glorious Nippon, Eagleland, South America or Europe.

I still cannot find a clear, useful comparison between PS4 and PS3 version, the only one I could buy at the moment. I can't understand how gimped it is, even compared to the arcade machine. :/

Sayad

Got my PS3 copy today =D
So a few things
2- I need a new HDTV....

Yep, inputs are tighter than most other recent fighters. What's your location?

I still cannot find a clear, useful comparison between PS4 and PS3 version, the only one I could buy at the moment. I can't understand how gimped it is, even compared to the arcade machine. :/
It's not gimped at all, only differences are smaller hit sparks, some background objects missing and worse image quality(1080p vs 720). Image quality is the most noticeable(in game characters faces are so clear on PS4 ;__; ), otherwise you wont notice much difference unless you were looking for it, and this is with "performance" mode on.

Galdelico

It's not gimped at all, only differences are smaller hit sparks, some background objects missing and worse image quality(1080p vs 720). Image quality is the most noticeable(in game characters faces are so clear on PS4 ;__; ), otherwise you wont notice much difference unless you were looking for it, and this is with "performance" mode on.

I see, thank you.

I guess that thing about the PS3 game too being able to run at 1080p (by disabling all the other resolutions in the system's settings) is a buch of bs... :/
Also, are those background elements and extra sparkles present, when playing in 'quality' mode?

Oh man, Tager and Pot are like night and day. I've said this before but Tager isn't really a character that has a neutral game. He's almost always dominated by the offensive of his opponent and relies entirely on first magnetizing his opponent and/or patiently Instant Blocking his opponent's strings in hopes that they make a matchup related mistake against him. The only normals he has that have any sort of decent range have horrendous startup and he doesn't have many options to stop people from IADing in his face because he was never built with a solid upper body invincible antiair that wasn't ridiculously slow. Approaching from the ground included either walking very slowly or using a sledge that could be baited and punished during its active frames so the quickest way to close the distance was to usually throw out a bunch of j.Cs when you're far out and slowly make your way in.

Potemkin wasn't designed like that. He was designed to be a character that actually participated in playing the match. He has ...
  • Hammerfall - A grounded dash that has 1 hit of armor and is able to be cancelled into block early or YRC'd. Staple of his pressure and mixup.
  • A dedicated antiair normal in the form of 6P
  • Projectile reflect that, upon activation, will create a wave of explosions that can allow him to move forward.
  • Slide Head - Move that creates an unblockable shockwave across the ground causing a knockdown that allows Pot to move forward
  • Pseudo airdash that costs 25 meter but moves you just about a full screen's length away.
  • Huge goddamn normals with reasonable startup and cancellable into his specials.
All of this on top of being the game's dedicated grappler and having the scariest command grab in the series. Pot took quite a hit from his AC incarnation so he's still considered bad though. He has that much in common with Tager. On the brightside the sheer amount of tools he has at his disposal will at least mean losing won't feel as hopeless anymore.

Faust is great! :D

Kimosabae

Banned
I see, thank you.

I guess that thing about the PS3 game too being able to run at 1080p (by disabling all the other resolutions in the system's settings) is a buch of bs... :/
Also, are those background elements and extra sparkles present, when playing in 'quality' mode?

The most egregious thing the PS3 version does, is drop the image quality for an entire round when certain effects come into play, like RCs or certain special moves (Ky's Split Ciel/236D).

You won't be conscious of it while playing.

To somewhat answer your question: It seems to vary. Some elements from the PS4 version seem to be missing completely while others seem to be only be missing in Processing Mode.

Tizoc

Oh man, Tager and Pot are like night and day. I've said this before but Tager isn't really a character that has a neutral game. He's almost always dominated by the offensive of his opponent and relies entirely on first magnetizing his opponent and/or patiently Instant Blocking his opponent's strings in hopes that they make a matchup related mistake against him. The only normals he has that have any sort of decent range have horrendous startup and he doesn't have many options to stop people from IADing in his face because he was never built with a solid upper body invincible antiair that wasn't ridiculously slow. Approaching from the ground included either walking very slowly or using a sledge that could be baited and punished during its active frames so the quickest way to close the distance was to usually throw out a bunch of j.Cs when you're far out and slowly make your way in.

Potemkin wasn't designed like that. He was designed to be a character that actually participated in playing the match. He has ...
  • Hammerfall - A grounded dash that has 1 hit of armor and is able to be cancelled into block early or YRC'd. Staple of his pressure and mixup.
  • A dedicated antiair normal in the form of 6P
  • Projectile reflect that, upon activation, will create a wave of explosions that can allow him to move forward.
  • Slide Head - Move that creates an unblockable shockwave across the ground causing a knockdown that allows Pot to move forward
  • Pseudo airdash that costs 25 meter but moves you just about a full screen's length away.
  • Huge goddamn normals with reasonable startup and cancellable into his specials.
All of this on top of being the game's dedicated grappler and having the scariest command grab in the series. Pot took quite a hit from his AC incarnation so he's still considered bad though. He has that much in common with Tager. On the brightside the sheer amount of tools he has at his disposal will at least mean losing won't feel as hopeless anymore.

Faust is great! :D

Thanks for the tips, I'm of course maining the big guy, and just can't get enough of dat
HEAVENLYYYYYYYYYYYYY
POTEMKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
BUSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Volcynika

Since the US version is officially out tomorrow, I've been on the lookout for reviews, but I've seen none. Not sure when the embargo (if it exists) is up, so feel free to post them if you see 'em! That section of the OP is lonely.

vg260

Does anyone know if the touchpad click function is used for anything in-game? Curious how much of an annoyance this missing on current sticks will be.

Thanks for the tips, I'm of course maining the big guy, and just can't get enough of dat
HEAVENLYYYYYYYYYYYYY
POTEMKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
BUSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tips? Na, just a basic moveset overview. There's no better guide to deconstructing Potemkin play than obsessing over FAB footage.

FAB v. Ky
FAB v. I-No
FAB v. Bedman

Does anyone know if the touchpad click function is used for anything in-game? Curious how much of an annoyance this missing on current sticks will be.

I don't know because I don't have a PS4 but seeing as how the game was originally designed to be on arcade I think it'd be odd if they added any additional functionality in game. At most it'd be an additional macro-able button which, if you're using a stick, would be moot to begin with.

vg260

I don't know because I don't have a PS4 but seeing as how the game was originally designed to be on arcade I think it'd be odd if they added any additional functionality in game. At most it'd be an additional macro-able button which, if you're using a stick, would be moot to begin with.

I'm thinking more in terms of things like training mode UI functions.

Zissou

I'm thinking more in terms of things like training mode UI functions.

I have yet to see anything where I could even attempt to use it after having the game for a week and half (doesn't 100% mean it's not used anywhere, just stating my own experience).

Top Bottom