• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Ferrio

Banned
Anyway, in regards to character weight. Are all the chars in clearly defined weight classes? Please tell me there's only about 4 different weight classes...

Who should I use as training dummies in the lab?

Think there might be like 3 main groups to weights for combos.

May/Faust, Everyone else, Potemkin.

I could be wrong.

Volcynika

Correct, they actually lifted the street date on the regular edition last week but I think they put it back up? Not sure. Either way, unless you want a LE you can get it tomorrow.

Aksys didn't lift the street date, think that was all GameStop (seemingly since the release date was back on the website later that evening where you couldn't use the store locator to find a copy).

Also saw someone on Twitter say they saw a TV ad. Haven't seen it myself, but that's pretty cool.

I could be wrong.
Thanks. I know that in this example w Ky (c.S c.D qcf+K RC the 2nd hit) I can dash up for a jump cancelable S but Chipp and Ino and maybe a few others can recover before the S whereas almost everyone else grants a natural combo. Maybe this isn't weight related though, I'm still new to this. Im not interested in getting all the pro combos right now tho, just trying to learn as I go.

wwm0nkey

Aksys didn't lift the street date, think that was all GameStop (seemingly since the release date was back on the website later that evening where you couldn't use the store locator to find a copy).

Also saw someone on Twitter say they saw a TV ad. Haven't seen it myself, but that's pretty cool.
GG got a TTV spot in the US? Damn, never thought I would see that

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks. I know that in this example w Ky (c.S c.D qcf+K RC the 2nd hit) I can dash up for a jump cancelable S but Chipp and Ino and maybe a few others can recover before the S whereas almost everyone else grants a natural combo. Maybe this isn't weight related though, I'm still new to this. Im not interested in getting all the pro combos right now tho, just trying to learn as I go.

Well I'm just going off the combos for the character I use. Think those characters are the extreme cases though, more about their hitbox than weight though.

Onemic

I know Pot and Bedman are in the heavy weight class, not too sure about everyone else though

I know Pot and Bedman are in the heavy weight class, not too sure about everyone else though
Yup, both Pot and Bedman hit the ground before I can hit S. They got fat tech. I'm still checking everyone but I'm not positive this combo is the right metric for determining weight anyway.

Yup, both Pot and Bedman hit the ground before I can hit S. They got fat tech. I'm still checking everyone but I'm not positive this combo is the right metric for determining weight anyway.

Fat tech top tier. Do you think the weight table is based off of AC+R values? Same with guts and defense ratings? Not counting new characters obviously since they haven't been extensively tested/released yet.

Fat tech top tier. Do you think the weight table is based off of AC+R values? Same with guts and defense ratings? Not counting new characters obviously since they haven't been extensively tested/released yet.
I don't even know what guts and defense rating are :-(

I love how there's this exhaustive 50 point tutorial for all the mechanics but they just slip in guts under the door.

I could be wrong.

If it's the same as before, all the females (including Bridget, back then) were in the lightweight class. Potemkin (and Robo Ky) were in the heavies. Everybody else was mid-weight.

The caveat to this is that everybody's falling hitbox is different. Ky has this wonky one where Faust's pogo > going my way would whiff him outside of the corner. On the flipside, though Faust was/is(?) mid-weight, nearly everybody back then had specific combos that could do MORE damage on him because his falling hitbox is so damn wide.

I don't even know what guts and defense rating are :-(

I love how there's this exhaustive 50 point tutorial for all the mechanics but they just slip in guts under the door.

There are a lot of finer points that aren't mentioned at all in the tutorial. At least some stuff is expanded on in mission mode with things like FD dash cancelling. Well guts should at least be noticeable when you start to barely chip away at the health bar.

Talking to a few guys at Madcatz. Apparently the Xrd TE2 sticks were delayed along with the LE copies of the game in the same shipping delay. I'm contemplating whether or not I should just buy the PS3 version until then. -_-

antibolo

Banned
I'm sure there will be cheaper sticks to coincide with SFV, but that's late 2015 at best right now, right?

But don't forget that the PS4 will also get USF4 before that.

BTW while we're talking about PS4 sticks again: I got my HRAP v4 Hayabusa last week, and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Definitely a worthy alternative to MadCatz.

Talking to a few guys at Madcatz. Apparently the Xrd TE2 sticks were delayed along with the LE copies of the game in the same shipping delay. I'm contemplating whether or not I should just buy the PS3 version until then. -_-

Bleh. Well as long as there are some still available in January I will be okay.

Ferrio

Banned
There are a lot of finer points that aren't mentioned at all in the tutorial. At least some stuff is expanded on in mission mode with things like FD dash cancelling. Well guts should at least be noticeable when you start to barely chip away at the health bar.

Wish they had said how to air brake as chipp, maybe they did somewhere in the mission mode but I had to ask someone on dustloop how the hell some japanese player was doing that.

If it's the same as before, all the females (including Bridget, back then) were in the lightweight class. Potemkin (and Robo Ky) were in the heavies. Everybody else was mid-weight.

The caveat to this is that everybody's falling hitbox is different. Ky has this wonky one where Faust's pogo > going my way would whiff him outside of the corner. On the flipside, though Faust was/is(?) mid-weight, nearly everybody back then had specific combos that could do MORE damage on him because his falling hitbox is so damn wide.

So many characters had Ky specific combos or things that didn't in past GG's it was quite annoying. Same with Faust being like 20 ft. tall his hitbox felt like half the screen.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ky falls fast cause he keeps his tea cup collection under his clothes.

Just like Johny falls SUPER FAST because he has all those coins weighing him down :D

Laconic

Banned

Johnny's hit box was fun.

IIRC, Millia had to use Johnny specific combos.

Ferrio

Banned

Just like Johny falls SUPER FAST because he has all those coins weighing him down :D

God the idea of a character getting lighter cause they're throwing shit away on them sounds infuriating.

Faust starts super heavy, end of the match he's floating.

Uraizen

Banned
But don't forget that the PS4 will also get USF4 before that.

BTW while we're talking about PS4 sticks again: I got my HRAP v4 Hayabusa last week, and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Definitely a worthy alternative to MadCatz.

The buttons
suck
squeak, though.

Astarte

God the idea of a character getting lighter cause they're throwing shit away on them sounds infuriating.

Faust starts super heavy, end of the match he's floating.

Since he has no limit on the shit he can throw from his hammer space, shouldn't he be unlaunchable? :V

Rhapsody

Banned

Can you imagine if Johnny's weight changed the less coins he had? lol

Edit: Should've refreshed. I agree though. lol

Zissou

Wish they had said how to air brake as chipp, maybe they did somewhere in the mission mode but I had to ask someone on dustloop how the hell some japanese player was doing that.

I don't play Chipp, but could you briefly explain the air brake thing? What is it/how do you do it?

Uraizen

Banned
I don't play Chipp, but could you briefly explain the air brake thing? What is it/how do you do it?

jump forward, press 1K~S

The equivalent of plinking in SFIV when it comes to the button presses. You don't have to use S, I just do it. I miss being able to do it during an air dash.

Just kill me now, I'm never going to be able to play this game properly.

Trying to get some east-coast online rooms going. Are most of the US posters here closer to the west?
I'm on the East if you want to add me. But I'm barely playing until I can get my stick because my pad performance is flat out embarrassing.

Ferrio

Banned
jump forward, press 1K~S

The equivalent of plinking in SFIV when it comes to the button presses. You don't have to use S, I just do it. I miss being able to do it during an air dash.

Technically 2K~Any non dust button. What it does it does his j.2k (which causes you to go straight down) for one frame, then faultless defense will cancel it. Allows you to brake in air, good for air mixups.

edit: ah that was explained too. Late to the party :|

Zissou

Thanks to everybody for the quick explanations. So can anybody else faultless defense cancel aside from Faust and Chipp?

Trying to get some east-coast online rooms going. Are most of the US posters here closer to the west?

I'm from Southern Cal. I'd like to get some rooms going with you guys but I haven't had much time to play the game and I am on PS4 without a stick and would probably do more harm than good.

AlexIIDX

So I love fighting games, but i'm pretty bad.....I'm psyched to get my LE but I really want to try and become a decent player. Whenever I get a new fighting game I watch all the tutorials and read all the tips and forums because I feel like I need to know all of the games mechanics or i'm not playing it right....This pretty much leads to me thinking about every single move I make in matches and I get my shit rocked. I figured this time i'll try to just play and not blow my mind right away. Is there something that I should learn first that's important. Is playing the cpu useful at all? Should I hold off on learning combos and learn the mechanics first. Goddamn I envy you guys who are good at these games.

edit: oh and I really like what ive seen of May, thinking of maining her. Is she difficult to play as?

Top Bottom