• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

So I love fighting games, but i'm pretty bad.....I'm psyched to get my LE but I really want to try and become a decent player. Whenever I get a new fighting game I watch all the tutorials and read all the tips and forums because I feel like I need to know all of the games mechanics or i'm not playing it right....This pretty much leads to me thinking about every single move I make in matches and I get my shit rocked. I figured this time i'll try to just play and not blow my mind right away. Is there something that I should learn first that's important. Is playing the cpu useful at all? Should I hold off on learning combos and learn the mechanics first. Goddamn I envy you guys who are good at these games.

I just learn at my own pace in offline modes like training and MOM. Just learn what works for you. I would work on the gatling system which is like chains in MVC3, then add specials to the end. Then try gatling into super. Then gatling into special into roman cancel... Just figure it out at your pace and drop into the 50 point tutorial at times to refresh yourself on mechanics you may be ignoring.

AlexIIDX

I just learn at my own pace in offline modes like training and MOM. Just learn what works for you. I would work on the gatling system which is like chains in MVC3, then add specials to the end. Then try gatling into super. Then gatling into special into roman cancel... Just figure it out at your pace and drop into the 50 point tutorial at times to refresh yourself on mechanics you may be ignoring.

Thanks, will do. Yeah, I really need to just ease myself in. I know I shouldn't expect to hop online and win matches but man its discouraging sometimes. I'm a recovering rage-a-holic.

Coda

Hopefully in four more days I will have my arcade stick back and I'll be able to actually play this game. Can't play this game for shit on a controller. Movement is ass and once someone starts an assault I'm helpless on the controller.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Welp I drove for hours to do it, but I am done. Got the pos4 + GTA + Last of us bundle for $340. Also came with $20 psn credit from target as well as $10 more in the box. Traded in GTAV to gamestop, used $25 off coupon to get GGXRD. Sold LoU code to get PSN.

hao chi

So I love fighting games, but i'm pretty bad.....I'm psyched to get my LE but I really want to try and become a decent player. Whenever I get a new fighting game I watch all the tutorials and read all the tips and forums because I feel like I need to know all of the games mechanics or i'm not playing it right....This pretty much leads to me thinking about every single move I make in matches and I get my shit rocked. I figured this time i'll try to just play and not blow my mind right away. Is there something that I should learn first that's important. Is playing the cpu useful at all? Should I hold off on learning combos and learn the mechanics first. Goddamn I envy you guys who are good at these games.

edit: oh and I really like what ive seen of May, thinking of maining her. Is she difficult to play as?

Playing against the computer is alright for helping you get used to the game, getting muscle memory down for combos, and learning the game's mechanics. Just remember that that's pretty much all the CPU is good for. Fighting the CPU won't make you good at fighting against human players.

I highly suggest finding other beginner players and playing with them. Don't worry about learning everything at once, just gradually add new things to your game and think about what you did wrong and could improve on. Playing against better players can also be very helpful if they're willing to give you pointers. I feel I started learning at a higher pace when I was thoroughly getting my shit wrecked in Persona by the local players, and a large part of that is because they were pointing out things that I'm doing wrong.

I also suggest asking around on the Dustloop forum for whichever character you end up maining if there's a Skype chat for that character. Asking questions and getting them answered by more experienced players is very helpful.

Also, watching high level matches is quite helpful for learning how your character should be played, just make sure you don't get overwhelmed because they're doing a lot of things that you won't be able to do yet. Keep in mind that everyone starts out extremely scrubby, and they just learned a bit at a time.

JohnCYQ

Is playing/learning via controller viable or is the arcade stick pretty much mandatory for fighters like Xrd? I'm having problems even pulling of quater circle moves especially outside of practise mode, and I don't want to have to button mash to feel like I'm actually doing something beyond a down-attack.

Is playing/learning via controller viable or is the arcade stick pretty much mandatory for fighters like Xrd? I'm having problems even pulling of quater circle moves especially outside of practise mode, and I don't want to have to button mash to feel like I'm actually doing something beyond a down-attack.

You can play with a pad with no problems as long as you practice.

Rhapsody

Banned

Playing by pad is perfectly viable. Only Zato might be difficult due to how he plays.

I'd practice motions slowly first as long as you get clean inputs that'll work. Then speed it up and muscle memory will help iron out execution problems. If you practice things too fast, it can actual hurt instead of help.

Jawmuncher

Finally wrapped up the arcade mode.
Glad that Sin doesn't count towards the achievement. You also get 50K from beating that.
So youdefinitley get enough to buy him if you don't spend anything after beating arcade and story mode.

Volcynika

Finally wrapped up the arcade mode.
Glad that Sin doesn't count towards the achievement. You also get 50K from beating that.
So youdefinitley get enough to buy him if you don't spend anything after beating arcade and story mode.

I think even doing tutorial thing gets you 50K.

Coda

I don't feel like playing with a pad is too hard until I actually play a real match against someone. It's like a have no momentum and rush down when playing with a pad, it's just too clumsy to me to do all these precise inputs with your thumb while also using footsies and making what you want to happen, happen exactly the way you wanted it to.

I'd say controller is definitely viable. All in all, whatever peripheral works for you is all dependent on how much time you put into playing and practicing with it.

Example, I've been using an arcade stick for fighting games post Street Fighter IV, but before that game came out, I used a PS2 pad. The GG XX series was a series of games that I played on pad primarily prior to SF4. So, GG Xrd comes out and I started playing it on a stick. I was doing OK, but I was having trouble performing certain motions. So much trouble, that it cost me a lot of online matches.

So, I went back to a pad, and I found myself performing much better. Go figure? Either way, just keep practicing. Stick or pad, your performance will just depend on your amount of practice with it. Since I played GG on a pad for so many years prior, I seem to play it much better on a pad then I do a stick, even though I've been using sticks on many different fighting games ever since 2009.

Zissou

...I think I'm beginning to consider picking a different character

I don't wanna say I told ya so :p

I'm currently having the dilemma of who to pick for a secondary. I'm currently looking at Ram/Zato/Elph as possibilities. Wonder how strobg Elphelt is gonna turn out to be...

JoeFenix

How challenging is Millia to learn for a GG noob with a fair amount of fighting game knowledge?

She seems like a fun rushdown type of character, any other character of that type in the roster?

Zissou

How challenging is Millia to learn for a GG noob with a fair amount of fighting game knowledge?

She seems like a fun rushdown type of character, any other character of that type in the roster?

GG is all about rushdown (in my limited experience so far). Everybody has to go in to win at some point.

Rhapsody

Banned

If you have fighting game knowledge, she's easy. All she wants is to land the hit into her setplay into mixup after mixup. Double air dashes and pins lets you get away with a lot of air mobility. Her combos are simple too (unless you're going for some tough variation). Because of this, matchup experience isn't that extensive since you basically don't want your opponent to play.

The only other fast rushdown constant high/low mixup character in the cast close to Millia is I-No. Lots of scary high lows.
She has a harder time getting in and requires more execution though.

image.php

...anyway, I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship my pre-order. Ugh.

JoeFenix

If you have fighting game knowledge, she's easy. All she wants is to land the hit into her setplay into mixup after mixup. Double air dashes and pins lets you get away with a lot of air mobility. Her combos are simple too (unless you're going for some tough variation). Because of this, matchup experience isn't that extensive since you basically don't want your opponent to play.

The only other fast rushdown constant high/low mixup character in the cast close to Millia is I-No. Lots of scary high lows.
She has a harder time getting in and requires more execution though.

Thanks for the quick answer, sounds like she would be a good fit for me!

So, I went back to a pad, and I found myself performing much better. Go figure? Either way, just keep practicing. Stick or pad, your performance will just depend on your amount of practice with it. Since I played GG on a pad for so many years prior, I seem to play it much better on a pad then I do a stick, even though I've been using sticks on many different fighting games ever since 2009.

RIP, that certainly makes me think twice about my execution with a stick lol.

Uraizen

Banned

I predict Ky, Sol, or Slayer.

Why? No reason.

Ya, I might do this. From what I've heard about Sin he seems like he'd be right up my alley. Is he any good?

Close enough. He shits out damage, but his mixup isn't as strong as other char's. People are still gonna get hit by that j.D YRC every time, though. He's very netplay friendly, too.

AlexIIDX

Playing against the computer is alright for helping you get used to the game, getting muscle memory down for combos, and learning the game's mechanics. Just remember that that's pretty much all the CPU is good for. Fighting the CPU won't make you good at fighting against human players.

I highly suggest finding other beginner players and playing with them. Don't worry about learning everything at once, just gradually add new things to your game and think about what you did wrong and could improve on. Playing against better players can also be very helpful if they're willing to give you pointers. I feel I started learning at a higher pace when I was thoroughly getting my shit wrecked in Persona by the local players, and a large part of that is because they were pointing out things that I'm doing wrong.

I also suggest asking around on the Dustloop forum for whichever character you end up maining if there's a Skype chat for that character. Asking questions and getting them answered by more experienced players is very helpful.

Also, watching high level matches is quite helpful for learning how your character should be played, just make sure you don't get overwhelmed because they're doing a lot of things that you won't be able to do yet. Keep in mind that everyone starts out extremely scrubby, and they just learned a bit at a time.

Thanks for the tips, my friend is getting it too and he's a bit better than me so we'll be playing a lot....I plan on trying to learn May, so i'll check out Dustloop.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya, I might do this. From what I've heard about Sin he seems like he'd be right up my alley. Is he any good?

Easy damage and combos, and if he lands an opener to a DP combo it's HUGE damage. Trouble is oki is bleh, so getting those big openings are rare. He also can get rushed down pretty easy as his reversal is lame. Lot of poking, and fishing for hits. Get a far S to land and you can go for a simple combo for good damage, or a more complex one with a RC.

Huge video of him in action (1:30 long, against Ogawa).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdL7IozDsEU

edit: Also what's with japanese players and uploading the smallest resolution possible for videos?

Looks like I'll have to pick this up via PSN once it goes up. There's near zero guarantee the LE would arrive before Christmas.

Going to have a rough time playing though with no fightstick.

Onemic

Easy damage and combos, and if he lands an opener to a DP combo it's HUGE damage. Trouble is oki is bleh, so getting those big openings are rare. He also can get rushed down pretty easy as his reversal is lame. Lot of poking, and fishing for hits. Get a far S to land and you can go for a simple combo for good damage, or a more complex one with a RC.

Huge video of him in action (1:30 long, against Ogawa).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdL7IozDsEU

edit: Also what's with japanese players and uploading the smallest resolution possible for videos?

Nice, so he's footsie based? And damn that overhead goes farrrrr

Ferrio

Banned
Nice, so he's footsie based? And damn that overhead goes farrrrr

Think he's kinda forced to it. He doesn't have good meaty options and I hate his jump ins. His j.hs is nice as it has huge 360 range, but following up on it is unreliable. He has no natural overhead either, so you either dust, or do an instant j.d.

The over head does go far, but it's really telegraphed... but online covers that up. Counter hit it bounces, and is used in his huge combos.

edit: Oh and if you didn't realize it, all his specials can be rekka'ed into each other. So you can do high low mixups with those but it takes a lot of your hunger meter.

Onemic

Think he's kinda forced to it. He doesn't have good meaty options and I hate his jump ins. His j.hs is nice as it has huge 360 range, but following up on it is unreliable. He has no natural overhead either, so you either dust, or do an instant j.d.

The over head does go far, but it's really telegraphed... but online covers that up. Counter hit it bounces, and is used in his huge combos.

edit: Oh and if you didn't realize it, all his specials can be rekka'ed into each other. So you can do high low mixups with those but it takes a lot of your hunger meter.

Well, time to hit his challenge mode.

Where would you guys say he ranks in terms of tiers so far?

I don't wanna say I told ya so :p

I'm currently having the dilemma of who to pick for a secondary. I'm currently looking at Ram/Zato/Elph as possibilities. Wonder how strobg Elphelt is gonna turn out to be...

Ya, you were right :/

I love her design, but damn is her neutral hard to get used to. I dont know what the hell I'm doing with her half the time. Doesnt help that the only people that seem to be playing online are GGAC vets

Ferrio

Banned
So frustrating that I can't play online :(. Before the patch worst lag I got was 10 frames... I'm getting up to 20 on some people.

Soulflarz

Banned
So if I love blazblue and want to play guilty gear, but havent yet...where do I start? Not in terms of "oh this ones a good one to jump into", but where do i go to get the whole story? (And yes, I know the story modes iffy on whether or not its in each game, I just had trouble finding a proper order/which ones and their proper versions to even play)

Ferrio

Banned
So if I love blazblue and want to play guilty gear, but havent yet...where do I start? Not in terms of "oh this ones a good one to jump into", but where do i go to get the whole story? (And yes, I know the story modes iffy on whether or not its in each game, I just had trouble finding a proper order/which ones and their proper versions to even play)

You want to play all the GG games in order for their story?

Why not wiki up?

I've been watching a ton of Potemkin matches and strategy videos, and I'm getting the impression that his Overdrives aren't as useful as most characters'. Of all the matches I watched, the Potemkin player used Heavenly Potemkin Buster less than fives times and the Aegis Reflector super only once. Is his meter truly better used to make his attacks safer or can I follow through with my plan of dusting fools with the HPB in every match?

Baust

Xrd's manual actually has a summary in the front that covers GG, GGX, GG2, and GG:Vastedge's basic storylines.

ZeroX03

Banned
So I'm guessing this isn't hitting US PSN in an hour and a half?

Yeah, I was. I guess I will have to go for the HRAPV4 and buy some Sanwa buttons. Anyone know of a good place to buy the HRAPV4?

I got mine from Amazon for $150 with very reasonable shipping but they sell out quickly. They had 20 in stock a few days ago and they were all gone within the hour. SFV being announced PS exclusive really didn't help. If they do get it back in stock they're great.

Ferrio

Banned
Id prefer to play through games than get summaries for them >.<

S-so yeah, anyone know on the proper order? (I'll check tomorrow, falling asleep)

Think pretty much all the games in order.

Good luck getting hold of them all. There's a ton of them.

edit:

Crazy how GG originally was suppose to used prerendered 3d characters.

Akibared

I got mine from Amazon for $150 with very reasonable shipping but they sell out quickly. They had 20 in stock a few days ago and they were all gone within the hour. SFV being announced PS exclusive really didn't help. If they do get it back in stock they're great.

I'm going to stay on the lookout for one because I really don't want to pay $200 for the TE2.

Top Bottom