• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

BlazeVoi

Banned
Thanks, will do. Yeah, I really need to just ease myself in. I know I shouldn't expect to hop online and win matches but man its discouraging sometimes. I'm a recovering rage-a-holic.

When I get the game, we should train together (and anyone else who wants to get better)

I am in the same boat. I feel like I am always forgetting something and end up overwhelmed. I always try to go online 1st thing to keep up with the community, and end the day with a bit of training mode.

This will be my 1st time taking gg serious-ish (actually learning some mechanics).

rookiejet

Yeah, I was. I guess I will have to go for the HRAPV4 and buy some Sanwa buttons. Anyone know of a good place to buy the HRAPV4?

Amazon is the only seller (that I know of) in Canada. I imagine there are probably more options in the US, my bet is Amazon would be the fastest to deliver, though.

Onemic

Wow, I'm REALLY liking Sin. Just going through his challenges and playing around with his normals and what not. He really seems like a good footsie based character, exactly what I'm looking for :D

His f.s goes so damn far, it doesnt even seem like it should hit half the time, yet it does. Seems like its hit box goes further than the actual staff lol. Do his 2S and 3K hit low?

Wow, I'm REALLY liking Sin. Just going through his challenges and playing around with his normals and what not. He really seems like a good footsie based character, exactly what I'm looking for :D

His f.s goes so damn far, it doesnt even seem like it should hit half the time, yet it does. Seems like its hit box goes further than the actual staff lol. Do his 2S and 3K hit low?
You would get excited over a downgrade in execution requirements!

Ferrio

Banned

2S doesn't hit low.

3K and 2K do. 2K and counter hit 3K (it staggers) you can get big combos off of.

Basically any combo that allows you to combo into a crit'ed 623S is big damage potential, even moreson in corner.

Onemic

You would get excited over a downgrade in execution requirements!

Of course! Most characters I play/like(minus waifu Mitsuru) have high execution requirements, so any character that can lower that burden is a godsend for me :p

2S doesn't hit low.

3K and 2K do. 2K and counter hit 3K (it staggers) you can get big combos off of.

Basically any combo that allows you to combo into a crit'ed 623S is big damage potential, even moreson in corner.

Good to know. What would you say his most important normals/specials are in neutral? Also, what would be his best jumpin? j.H seems like it has a very big hitbox, but sucks at converting into a ground combo, I'm just doing j.k>j.p into his ground combo stuff right now.

Ferrio

Banned
Of course! Most characters I play/like(minus waifu Mitsuru) have high execution requirements, so any character that can lower that burden is a godsend for me :p

Good to know. What would you say his most important normals/specials are in neutral? Also, what would be his best jumpin? j.H seems like it has a very big hitbox, but sucks at converting into a ground combo, I'm just doing j.k>j.p into his ground combo stuff right now.

Jump ins kinda suck, I'm not entirely sure on them. j.s, or j.s,j.p/j.k. None have a very good angle, especially j.k . j.HS sucks for converting, but it's pretty damn good for the odd damage here and there. Especially if you end a blocked string with your 214K and cross them up.

Not going to gleam much from me, I'm still new too and haven't been able to play online after that patch. Besides his basic combos and his moveset I'm not going to be much help heh.

edit: I'd always be up for mirror matching though. Sin mirror is actually pretty fun.

My Amazon pre-order is finally "shipping now"...not getting it until Thursday, thanks to some issues with my order that popped up. I was supposed to get it in a few hours. :(

I need to get my ass kicked by fellow NeoGAF members, gosh darn it!

Edit: It shipped, and now says that it'll be here tomorrow instead of Thursday. :O

JohnCYQ

You can play with a pad with no problems as long as you practice.

Playing by pad is perfectly viable. Only Zato might be difficult due to how he plays.

I'd practice motions slowly first as long as you get clean inputs that'll work. Then speed it up and muscle memory will help iron out execution problems. If you practice things too fast, it can actual hurt instead of help.

I'd say controller is definitely viable. All in all, whatever peripheral works for you is all dependent on how much time you put into playing and practicing with it.

Example, I've been using an arcade stick for fighting games post Street Fighter IV, but before that game came out, I used a PS2 pad. The GG XX series was a series of games that I played on pad primarily prior to SF4. So, GG Xrd comes out and I started playing it on a stick. I was doing OK, but I was having trouble performing certain motions. So much trouble, that it cost me a lot of online matches.

So, I went back to a pad, and I found myself performing much better. Go figure? Either way, just keep practicing. Stick or pad, your performance will just depend on your amount of practice with it. Since I played GG on a pad for so many years prior, I seem to play it much better on a pad then I do a stick, even though I've been using sticks on many different fighting games ever since 2009.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear though, are you guys referring to the D-pad or left analog? If both, which is the recommended one? I've been using the analog so far.

Gears

If anyone is up for sparring I'm up for getting my face kicked in. Psn:Infamousscott14
I'm really feeling confident as a beginner with ky so far. I felt like I was playing zato wrong, then again this is my first guilty gear.

Volcynika

Everyone remember there is a Google doc in the OP that you can add your PSN name to and such. Just a reminder since the US version will be officially out today.

antibolo

Banned
I hope the game won't be price gouged to $69.99 on the Canadian PSN. I don't think Aksys has ever done that but I may be wrong.

Grifter

I'm on the East if you want to add me. But I'm barely playing until I can get my stick because my pad performance is flat out embarrassing.

I'm east but won't have the game for another week or so. The wait continues!

I'm from Southern Cal. I'd like to get some rooms going with you guys but I haven't had much time to play the game and I am on PS4 without a stick and would probably do more harm than good.

Not exactly ringing endorsements for beast coast! Feel free to add me (OP player list) and give it a go.

I hope the game won't be price gouged to $69.99 on the Canadian PSN. I don't think Aksys has ever done that but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty much praying for this to be $59.99 on Canadian PSN. My friend was going to buy a copy today but decided on a Wii U instead. That extra $10 will deter me from purchasing this right now since Christmas is around the corner. Welp.

AlexIIDX

When I get the game, we should train together (and anyone else who wants to get better)

I am in the same boat. I feel like I am always forgetting something and end up overwhelmed. I always try to go online 1st thing to keep up with the community, and end the day with a bit of training mode.

This will be my 1st time taking gg serious-ish (actually learning some mechanics).

Sounds good, my psn is TriFF51...we can get a lobby going.

antibolo

Banned
It's situations like these that make me think it's strange that no one seems to care about software backwards compatibility anymore.

"Caring" has nothing to do with it. They both radically changed architectures and it's simply not possible this gen. An Xbox One is nowhere near close to being capable of emulating a 360, and the PS4 even less so for emulating a PS3 because Cell is a dead end.

Sony did it the hard way last gen by fitting an entire PS2 in every PS3 and they suffered greatly for it due to selling it at a massive loss while still having an insane price tag. They're not going to repeat that mistake again.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear though, are you guys referring to the D-pad or left analog? If both, which is the recommended one? I've been using the analog so far.

Whichever you feel most comfortable with. I'd go with a dpad just because it feels more precise and I find double tapping easier to do on it.

vg260

i was planning on buying GG digitally today, only because of the $10 off Paypal offer, and missed my window to Gamefly the PS4 version. Also to support GG, but man I hate they way they handle upgrades of BB. Going in with the assumption there will be a new version requiring a full new purchase this time next year. :/

Zomba13

i was planning on buying GG digitally today, only because of the $10 off Paypal offer, and missed my window to Gamefly the PS4 version. Also to support GG, but man I hate they way they handle upgrades of BB. Going in with the assumption there will be a new version requiring a full new purchase this time next year. :/

Probably announced before the EU release of this game.

Kimosabae

Banned
"Caring" has nothing to do with it. They both radically changed architectures and it's simply not possible this gen. An Xbox One is nowhere near close to being capable of emulating a 360, and the PS4 even less so for emulating a PS3 because Cell is a dead end.

Sony did it the hard way last gen by fitting an entire PS2 in every PS3 and they suffered greatly for it due to selling it at a massive loss while still having an insane price tag. They're not going to repeat that mistake again.

"Caring" has everything to do with it, because despite the difference in architectures, both companies presented backwards compatibility solutions that were promised and we haven't heard a peep about them in almost a year. It was a large point of contention before the gen started and conversation isn't even really taking place anymore. It just hasn't been at the forefront of the gaming community this past year, so neither publisher seems to be feeling any pressure to offer those solutions or even update us on their progress.

zlatko

Banned
Played a lot yesterday to unlock Sin. Totally worth it. His fight style, pokes, etc is good.

There's a few characters in this cast I'm digging and it'll be tough to see who I end up with as a main.

Sin, Faust, Millia all automatically "jive" with me, but so does Chipp since he's the Bang of this series I assume. I didn't Guilty Gear before I blazgreened, so this is all new to me.

I really dug that Johnny character in the story mode. DLC that dude right now. A cowboy Samurai? Hell yeah! Leo looks dope too.

Has there been a list of DLC characters coming? Is that what the other locked portraits on the select screen are, or can I unlock some of those like Sin?

Sayad

I really dug that Johnny character in the story mode. DLC that dude right now. A cowboy Samurai? Hell yeah! Leo looks dope too.

Has there been a list of DLC characters coming? Is that what the other locked portraits on the select screen are, or can I unlock some of those like Sin?
Elphelt is free for one month I think and the other locked portrait is Leo which is a DLC.

Johnny might end up being DLC few months in.

Played a lot yesterday to unlock Sin. Totally worth it. His fight style, pokes, etc is good.

There's a few characters in this cast I'm digging and it'll be tough to see who I end up with as a main.

Sin, Faust, Millia all automatically "jive" with me, but so does Chipp since he's the Bang of this series I assume. I didn't Guilty Gear before I blazgreened, so this is all new to me.

Excluding Elphelt, Leo is the only DLC character that's confirmed at this point.

Maybe story spoilers? I'm not sure how serious since I haven't played it yet:
I heard Johnny and Dizzy both make appearances in the story so I could see them being DLC or new characters in a future revision since they're vets. Justice too maybe.

tagrat

I am going to have to hunt for a copy at a Best Buy in the Atlanta area. Went the one near my office a little while ago and they had no copies ordered to come in. They are only 6 copies in the Atlanta area from what the guy brought up on the computer. I wanted to pick it up with my GCU and also get closer to hitting my Elite status again. Hopefully they haven't sold out at the next closest one...

Was never into GG more of a Capcom player. But what's a good zoning character? Like guile.I usually play very lame turtle style but go on offensive to surprise opponents. Which character fits that description in this game? If any.

Nyoro SF

Was never into GG more of a Capcom player. But what's a good zoning character? Like guile.I usually play very lame turtle style but go on offensive to surprise opponents. Which character fits that description in this game? If any.

Faust, without a doubt. High defense with items, great AA. Frustrate opponents, take advantage of their frustration with surprise offense.

Anyone who owns a PS360+ Akishop has just put out news for ps4 compatibilty. It will do a soft reset to keep connected. I can't seem to find the 1.6 zip file to do it yet. Has anyone else been able to find it?

From their site:
PS360+ Software update Ver 1.6, PS4 support again (8min timeout with soft reset) and NES/SNES support, Software Overview PDF Update and Hardware Overview PDF Update.

OfficialVer1.6.zip
Fixed PS4 8 minute timeout issue previously broken by V2.0 PS4 system firmware update.
Added soft reset: SELECT + 3K (HK). This ONLY works when using it on PS4, it will disconnect and reconnect in ~2 seconds. Just press Home to continue again.
Added NES/SNES - Forced mode ONLY for now with 3K.

V1.6 variants have the same properties as v1.5, just with 1.6 core updates.
Download here: http://bit.ly/PS360Update
(December 16th, 2014)

antibolo

Banned
Anyone who owns a PS360+ Akishop has just put out news for ps4 compatibilty. It will do a soft reset to keep connected. I can't seem to find the 1.6 zip file to do it yet. Has anyone else been able to find it?

From their site:
PS360+ Software update Ver 1.6, PS4 support again (8min timeout with soft reset) and NES/SNES support, Software Overview PDF Update and Hardware Overview PDF Update.

OfficialVer1.6.zip
Fixed PS4 8 minute timeout issue previously broken by V2.0 PS4 system firmware update.
Added soft reset: SELECT + 3K (HK). This ONLY works when using it on PS4, it will disconnect and reconnect in ~2 seconds. Just press Home to continue again.
Added NES/SNES - Forced mode ONLY for now with 3K.

V1.6 variants have the same properties as v1.5, just with 1.6 core updates.

(December 16th, 2014)

That sounds like a horrible workaround.

Top Bottom