• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Spuck-uk

Banned
I want to learn a rushdown/pressure/oki mixup character to compliment my Sin related fraudulence.

Would I-no or Milia be easier to learn and/or execute?

Keep him out as in protect him from getting hit? Learn to safely summon, use H drills to shield Eddie from projectiles, and use HS shadow to get them around the tournament. You're also going to have to get comfortable to play footsies with Eddie and the opponent too. It's important to practice getting used to HS shadow. Chances are you won't be holding HS most of the time. Since you don't want to get your HS normal out in neutral, learn to get used to pressing HS during backdash or while you're doing 214K.

Drills are definitely the best way to safely get Eddie out. Outside of that, your options are throws or 2D. If you're trying to figure out when to summon him in neutral without sneaking a summon in a blockstring, you have a few options. One is 236S anti air when they're approaching from above. You can safely summon Eddie when you're fullscreen. You can slowly approach while alternating between H drill and S shadow as you're moving in on them.

Also an important tip is early meaty drills on their wakeup when Eddie isn't out. This gives more frame advantage to summon Eddie from the puddle or do another drill to buy time for Eddie to revive.
Thanks for all that. Is there any way to extend how long Eddie is out? Any way to preserve his gauge? I would like tips on that as well.

Also, j.P seems to be the go-to double overhead based on my experimenting last night. Truth?

Purdy

JP got the game earlier, so it might be the same for updates down the line. Can't think of anything else other than the price difference, if there is one.

Uhhh well the big one is that Elphelt is free on the NA store. If the choice is between NA/JP then the obvious pick is NA at the moment.

Cheers guys

Haven't played the series before, is there English+Japanese VA and if so are both available on either version or just Japanese?

Kimosabae

Banned
It's not even that Xrd Millia's design is bad - it's quite good on its own merits. It just doesn't seem Guilty Gear.

I just found XX's design to be more culturally significant. Her very name is a reference to a 80's western metal band and so are various attacks. Her outfit pretty much represented that. The 80/90's metal/grunge aspects such as the outrageously long hair, knee highs on the arms and legs, the hair pick, the blue-jeans skirt: her look just teleports me back whenever I see it.

Those nominal allusions are all still there... but we have this... hat... and... coat..

None of it seems to fit into what they've established.

That goes for the game at large, really. It feels like it was modernized to fit Japanese anime aesthetics and none of the culture the X/XX series originally drew inspiration from. It feels shallow as a result. Maybe it's a bit of ethnocentrism, but again: Arc established this homage to Western tastes and cultures consciously, themselves. It's not a taste for the series I developed out of thin air. The more I think about it, the more I do see Xrd as an extension of Blazblue, in fact.

SykoTech

Somehow loving this game more than I thought I would. Going through the whole cast to see which characters I feel best playing as, but everyone has been a lot of fun so far. Faust, May, Venom, Ram, and Zato are on the short list for now. Also Millia, but I usually don't main characters that I feel everyone is probably going to flock to. Still have other characters that I haven't tried too like Sin and El.

Probably my favorite fighting game since Marvel 3. Probably better since it doesn't have X-Factor.

And on a somewhat unrelated note, the guys in the fighting community thread pretty much killed my Smash 4 hype. I'll still give a fair go come Christmas. I know I'll enjoy it to some degree on just the Nintnedo fanservice alone, plus some memorable moments screwing around with friends and family. But lasting appeal expectations have been diminished. Oh well. Worse case scenario, I'll still have Xrd to fall back on.

Qvoth

my PSN ID is Qvoth87, any oceania/sea players around? add me so we can play together (hopefully), i live in indonesia
tried entering the lobbies in hongkong/taipei etc can't enter any of them :<

Kimosabae

Banned
It's only ethnocentrism if you are implying that it wasn't following the Japanese anime aesthetic before.

No, because the Japanese anime take on those Western themes was part of the appeal. Check the post I made regarding Sol/Ky in the FGC thread.

Ramlethal, Sin, Leo, Bedman - these are just Japanese anime inspired. Sure El is a Gun and Roses direct reference, but in terms of execution of her characterization: she's flat as hell and is totally modern Japanese anime.

BB Hood did this character way better a decade and a half ago.

Spuck-uk

Banned
And on a somewhat unrelated note, the guys in the fighting community thread pretty much killed my Smash 4 hype. I'll still give a fair go come Christmas. I know I'll enjoy it to some degree on just the Nintnedo fanservice alone, plus some memorable moments screwing around with friends and family. But lasting appeal expectations have been diminished. Oh well. Worse case scenario, I'll still have Xrd to fall back on.

Smash is fn if you don't take it seriously.

Xrd is just plain FUN

dem0neyes

not sure if this has happened to anyone else but i bought the ino announcer dlc for ps4 last night. When i went to go set it in game it only gave me faust as the option. I pop back out to the dashboard and look at the dlc I have for the game and it shows inos picture but the text says faust. I went back to the store to make sure it was this way and it wasn't. The store has inos picture and inos text. I don't think i've been baited this hard in a fighting game in my life. I can post screens of it later but i'm probably just gonna leave it as faust b/c of how great of a joke this is.

Sayad

I want to learn a rushdown/pressure/oki mixup character to compliment my Sin related fraudulence.

Would I-no or Milia be easier to learn and/or execute?
Millia is easier. Don't know about I-No's combos, but her movement is a bit tricky and require getting used to. For Millia, if you can do her jump cancel-instant air dash stuff(which are pretty easy), then your execution is good enough to play her.

No, because the Japanese anime take on those Western themes was part of the appeal. Check the post I made regarding Sol/Ky in the FGC thread.
But that doesn't apply to every character. Baiken and Justice are pure anime, in Baiken's case being a straight rip of a character compared to Anji which just seems to be heavily leaning on cultural origins.

I also don't entirely agree with that character analysis you made about Ky and Sol. It's good but it should probably be put to a bit more scrutiny.

Edit: Anyway i think a more interesting discussion would be what modern western influences GG could stand to take on.

Guymelef

One question.
Can you use DLC characters with another region PSN account? (since DLC seems more like a service than a true archive download)

Sayad

Ramlethal, Sin, Leo, Bedman - these are just Japanese anime inspired. Sure El is a Gun and Roses direct reference, but in terms of execution of her characterization: she's flat as hell and is totally modern Japanese anime.

BB Hood did this character way better a decade and a half ago.
I agree with El, but Leo's design looks as much western themed as... Say, Slayer! Definitely not what you'd expect from a modern anime character.

Kimosabae

Banned
But that doesn't apply to every character.

That is true and I meant to mention that but forgot.

Baiken and Justice are pure anime, in Baiken's case being a straight rip of a character compared to Anji which just seems to be heavily leaning on cultural origins.

They're not "pure anime", what they reference just isn't Western. Baiken is a reference to Japanese culture and literature (Ronin warrior Tange Sazen) and Anji, despite being more a reference to Japanese culture in general, has several references to Western metal bands - Shitsu is a reference to the Aerosmith logo and his theme song is a reference to Motely Crew.

and I also don't entirely agree with that character analysis you made about Ky and Sol. It's good but it should probably be put to a bit more scrutiny.

Don't agree with it. I made it explicit that it was my personal interpretation of the characters based on limited information. I even stated that it was completely wrong.

Edit: Anyway i think a more interesting discussion would be what modern western influences GG could stand to take on.

I was really hoping Arc would make a new fighting game series influenced by hip hop before BB released. I'm sure that's not the first time you've that.

Modern Arc would likely fuck that up, though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Baiken is basically Kenshin aside from the other influences.

One question.
Can you use DLC characters with another region PSN account? (since DLC seems more like a service than a true archive download)
Nope, has to be from the same region as the game.

Is Elphelt's dress + ears a really common anime thing now? I put on a match and my BB buddies thought they added Rachel.
Well the tall bow is a pretty common thing, but in Elphelt's case I think it more of a hair band/headdress made to look like bunny ears to fit the animal motif of the other Valentines (Ramlethal as a cat, Valentine as a bat). The dress is just cause of the obsession with marriage, so I guess it's a question of if they came up with her personality first and the design sort of fell together like that, or if they started out going for an inverted gothic Lolita thing in all white.

Rutger

Banned
But that doesn't apply to every character. Baiken and Justice are pure anime, in Baiken's case being a straight rip of a character compared to Anji which just seems to be heavily leaning on cultural origins.

There's also Chipp copying Goku's instant transmission for his teleports, and his 5H is a Kamehameha without a fireball. Slayer is one big reference to Giant Robo. Zato heavily inspired by Dio Brando. There's tons of other little things with all the characters.

Guilty Gear has always been as anime as one can get. I've always had a hard time understanding the complaints about the new characters. Elphelt doesn't bother me, not when we already have May, Dizzy, and Bridget. Bedman is as bizarre as Zappa, and the other three are fine.

What player should I look up on YouTube for some Xrd Venom craziness?
Go to keeprock.in and search him up, they filter the matches over there pretty well so you won't be watching any bad players. I'm having a brain fart on the name of the best Vemom right now, so I couldn't tell you who to look for specifically.

Memory

I don't think he is correct. I bought the game and dlc for my sub US account and they work fine on my main JP account(PS4).

He is talking about using US Dlc on a JP/HK version of the game or vice versa, this doesnt work.

However since the EU version is no where in sight it has not beem tested.

Fyi - Im from Uk and im playing the Hk version and dlc on my Uk account.

That... sucks...
PS3 didn't had this problem... I can play with Persona DLC characters with my EU account.

Do you mean something like JP game + JP dlc in an EU account or EU game + JP dlc? Because the former it makes no difference what region the account is, but the latter has never been possible with any game afaik.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
He is talking about using US Dlc on a JP/HK version of the game or vice versa, this doesnt work.

However since the EU version is no where in sight it has not beem tested.

Fyi - Im from Uk and im playing the Hk version and dlc on my Uk account.

Wanna play sometime? Haven't played with any fellow EU people yet.

Guilty Gear has always been as anime as one can get. I've always had a hard time understanding the complaints about the new characters. Elphelt doesn't bother me, not when we already have May, Dizzy, and Bridget. Bedman is as bizarre as Zappa, and the other three are fine.
Kimosabe is right thought that it seems like the new characters don't have as much overt western influence or imagery. Then again I kind of implied that I have no idea what kind of western influences there is to be taken today. Hip Hop, Rap and anything else associated with urban youth culture would be it as he already mentioned. Either way it certainly seems like the series took a bit of a tonal shift after Guilty Gear 2.

Guymelef

I don't think he is correct. I bought the game and dlc for my sub US account and they work fine on my main JP account(PS4).

Well, good to know.
I must wait to receive my game to try US disc + US DLC with EU account because without the game installed the DLC appears like "downloaded" but isn't true.

Do you mean something like JP game + JP dlc in an EU account or EU game + JP dlc? Because the former it makes no difference what region the account is, but the latter has never been possible with any game afaik.

Same game region and dlc played with annother region account.

junglist

I am sooo pissed... I was waiting for a fighting game to spend money on... and I decided to spend it on Killer Instinct with the holiday sale saving 33% off...

as soon as it started to download I saw on Twitch Guilty Gear X on PS4....

I am forcing myself to play on Killer Instinct and beat it on at least hard with every character before I spend more money on another game....

If it wasnt a digital download i would resell KI in a flash..... FML..

Memory

Wanna play sometime? Haven't played with any fellow EU people yet.

Thanks for the invite but I dont play online as im not very good and have not grasped the mechanics yet. This is my first GG since the dreamcast one and i havnt played Blazbleu since the CT. I just play the Ai and friends localy as were all at a low skill level :).

I am sooo pissed... I was waiting for a fighting game to spend money on... and I decided to spend it on Killer Instinct with the holiday sale saving 33% off...

as soon as it started to download I saw on Twitch Guilty Gear X on PS4....

I am forcing myself to play on Killer Instinct and beat it on at least hard with every character before I spend more money on another game....

If it wasnt a digital download i would resell KI in a flash..... FML..

just enjoy what you got man, the games not going anywhere

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the invite but I dont play online as im not very good and have not grasped the mechanics yet. This is my first GG since the dreamcast one and i havnt played Blazbleu since the CT. I just play the Ai and friends localy as were all at a low skill level :).

No problem.

Hugstable

Banned
Played a few of the mission mode stuff earlier, got 4 S ranks so far. Really enjoying this mode so far, it's pretty addicting trying to go for the perfect S-Ranks.

Also are there much people here using fight sticks? Where would I go about getting a decent fight stick for my PS4?

There's also Chipp copying Goku's instant transmission for his teleports, and his 5H is a Kamehameha without a fireball. Slayer is one big reference to Giant Robo. Zato heavily inspired by Dio Brando. There's tons of other little things with all the characters.

It's the same people who complain about Gen VI Pokemon like Skiddo for being uncreative when Gen I had Pidgeot.

Played a few of the mission mode stuff earlier, got 4 S ranks so far. Really enjoying this mode so far, it's pretty addicting trying to go for the perfect S-Ranks.

Also are there much people here using fight sticks? Where would I go about getting a decent fight stick for my PS4?
If you find out, let me know. :-(

That first mission where you have to stuff Ky's projectile is the hardest of the ones I've done so far, just because it takes a while to get used to when it "starts".

Don't forget:
rbOG2j7.png

Skilletor

Here's the only fightstick for PS4 you can get right now that won't break an arm and a leg cost wise imo. $200 new on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK9LQ78/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Scalper's prices. Should be 150, and they just announced a DoA5 one, so I'd just wait for a restock. They've been getting restocked pretty consistently.

Makes me hype that they're selling so well, though. :D Hopefully means a fightingedge for ps4 sooner rather than later.

Hugstable

Banned
It's the same people who complain about Gen VI Pokemon like Skiddo for being uncreative when Gen I had Pidgeot.

If you find out, let me know. :-(

That first mission where you have to stuff Ky's projectile is the hardest of the ones I've done so far, just because it takes a while to get used to when it "starts".

Yeah it was messing with me at first also, you basically gotta start the dash right the second when Sol finishes that starting backstep. All the missions so far seemed to have started this way for me, got the timing down alot more now though.

Scalper's prices. Should be 150, and they just announced a DoA5 one, so I'd just wait for a restock. They've been getting restocked pretty consistently.

Makes me hype that they're selling so well, though. :D Hopefully means a fightingedge for ps4 sooner rather than later.

I was eyeing that preorder for the P4AU2 Fight Stick that I saw for 200$ preorder on Madcatz site also, don't own P4AU2, but I do love Persona lol. Hopefully I can purchase myself a fightstick sometime in the new year.

Korigama

Well the tall bow is a pretty common thing, but in Elphelt's case I think it more of a hair band/headdress made to look like bunny ears to fit the animal motif of the other Valentines (Ramlethal as a cat, Valentine as a bat). The dress is just cause of the obsession with marriage, so I guess it's a question of if they came up with her personality first and the design sort of fell together like that, or if they started out going for an inverted gothic Lolita thing in all white.
Sweet lolita seems about right in her case in respect to some of the aspects drawn upon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion#Sweet_Lolita

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks for all that. Is there any way to extend how long Eddie is out? Any way to preserve his gauge? I would like tips on that as well.

Also, j.P seems to be the go-to double overhead based on my experimenting last night. Truth?

No, extending the gauge is something unique only to +R (which took Tension meter).

To preserve his gauge, you can do 236 into any of the regular four attack buttons to dismiss Eddie. The Eddie gauge goes back up at a much faster rate. It's a good idea to do this if you were zoning rather far away with drills and shadow, or do it if the enemy is really high in the air (so safe non pressure situations). If you're rushing them down and doing things like K Shadow, I wouldn't bother dismissing Eddie. Just continue rushing them down, even if Eddie dies. Eddie dying is inevitable in a match, it's just that having him die in a neutral situation is pointless.

The only other time you'd dismiss Eddie is midscreen after a certain combo. If you opened them up and they're getting hit by K shadow, confirm and end with 2D sweep and dismiss Eddie. Do early meaty drill and then resummon Eddie after you recover. This will recover half or so of the Eddie gauge, while still giving you oki and everything.

Since Eddie will most likely end up dying a lot in rounds, you'll have to learn how to buy time. Every time you score a knockdown like throw, do a meaty drill on their wakeup. If you score a knockdown like 5S > 5HS H Drill, then dash up S Drill meaty (vice versa if S Drill gave you knockdown). Another is using YRCs. If you can safely use 214K, you can buy time that way and then YRC your recovery of exiting. And of course, there's double jump flying. You can also YRC j.41236S if you need to reach the ground safely/fast.

As for the last part, I suggest learning his fuzzy guard. If you have them in the corner, do K shadow oki. Then do j.K double jump j.K j.HS into Buzzsaw (K Shadow). j.K halts momentum which makes it good for a fuzzy. Other mixups are empty jump low when they block Buzzsaw or late air dash into attack.

I usually do j.P in one situation. If you have Drill Bomb (D Shadow) on them in the corner in a way that's not a usual unblockable setup, jump and double jump fast and low off the ground, and do j.PPPP to make them eat an unblockable. They'll be blocking the j.P while that's buying time for the drill to go off.

That's just more of a situational thing, so you can ignore that one.

Edit: Keep in mind that you don't have to wait until Eddie recovers from an attack to dismiss him. You can input 236x before that.
Also, you usually don't dismiss Eddie when you confirm a corner combo, because if you have enough Eddie meter you might as well do an unblockable setup instead of keeping him alive. If you're seriously running low after a corner confirm, then you can dismiss him.

Laconic

Banned
Man... it is flatout AMAZING that zero brick and mortar stores NOT named GameStop are carrying Xrd.

This doesn't bode well.

FluxWaveZ

Man... it is flatout AMAZING that zero brick and mortar stores NOT named GameStop are carrying Xrd.

This doesn't bode well.

It's already been demonstrated that the game's overall sales are going to be relatively poor from the Japanese sales. It already fell off the Media Create charts after but one week.

Rurunaki

It's already been demonstrated that the game's overall sales are going to be relatively poor from the Japanese sales. It already fell off the Media Create charts after but one week.

Is this game even released yet? Tried to search for it on BestBuy and it said "Sold out Online". When I looked at the limited edition, it said releases oo the 23rd of December.

Top Bottom