• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Salex_

I can't believe Best Buy doesn't have the standard edition online or for store pickup. I feel like I have to buy it from there since I have GCU.

Is this game even released yet? Tried to search for it on BestBuy and it said "Sold out Online". When I looked at the limited edition, it said releases oo the 23rd of December.

It's out. They just don't have the standard edition for some reason.

It's already been demonstrated that the game's overall sales are going to be relatively poor from the Japanese sales. It already fell off the Media Create charts after but one week.

I wonder if launching without 3 of the top 5 most popular characters in Japan (from their popularity poll) was a big reason for that.

Hupsel

Is this game fun for people (like me) that suck at fighting games but enjoy them?
SLx19c3.gif

Has anyone figured out a faster way to unlock Sin? Online fights don't give you any world dollars, so after going through the tutorial and arcade mode once and messing around in M.O.M. I still only have like 28k world dollars.

Nyoro SF

Odd.

I thought GG was HUGE in Japan.

...even the PS3 version?

Yeah, it tanked hard.
I was scratching my head over how it could happen. After all, this is a primed classic, the game looks fantastic, and it released on both PS3 and PS4. Not much room for error in sales right?

There are a lot of potential explanations I'm sure.

Kimosabae

Banned
Has anyone figured out a faster way to unlock Sin? Online fights don't give you any world dollars, so after going through the tutorial and arcade mode once and messing around in M.O.M. I still only have like 28k world dollars.

Story mode gives 100k

Is this game fun for people (like me) that suck at fighting games but enjoy them?
SLx19c3.gif

If you play with the right mindset and keep your ego in check, of course you'll enjoy it. Just play with your friends or if you play online, stick with people at your skill level. Don't worry about being "good", unless that's something you really want.

Skilletor

Story mode gives you 100k.

I did the first 16 trials for everybody, skipped through story mode, and about 20 challenges to get enough points.

SLx19c3.gif
I play most of my fighting games like I always played Street Figher and the Marvel Series, I know NOTHING about pressure, distance, the 3 kinds of counter, and hardcore stuff. Generally, I just check the move list of characters that I don't know and that is it!

Guilty Gear Xrd, even giving you oportunity to explore all hardcore stuff, it is not like Skullgirls, you can enjoy Guilty Gear like any Street Fighter.

Yeah, it tanked hard.
I was scratching my head over how it could happen. After all, this is a primed classic, the game looks fantastic, and it released on both PS3 and PS4. Not much room for error in sales right?

Wasn't it relatively in line with every other Guilty Gears' sales tho?

Afaik all fighting games with a few exceptions sell awfully in Japan anyways don't they?

Don't know what to say other than that I need to use shortcuts in order to get supers to come out reliably. I can't say for certain whether it's the game or the controller since you can apparently use PS4 controllers on PS3 but not the other way around unfortunately.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, it tanked hard.

Wait I thought it sold 40k in the first few days and the other numbers we got weren't counting that our digital sales.

FluxWaveZ

Wasn't it relatively in line with every other Guilty Gear's sales tho?

Afaik all fighting games with a few exceptions sell awfully in Japan anyways don't they?

P4AU and BBCP both did great. P4AU had a 89k opening this year, while Xrd only had a 40k opening, and that was on the PS3 and the PS4.

I think Xrd performed worse than a couple of GG's main entries. Maybe it was expected from ASW, since the series has been out of the spotlight for a good long while, and Xrd could be an attempt at rebuilding its presence.

Wait I thought it sold 40k in the first few days and the other numbers we got weren't counting that our digital sales.

I'm not sure 40k is great, especially now that it's completely dropped off the charts. Digital sales don't really matter here since those aren't counted for any of the games on the chart, so it levels out.

Jazz-ism

Banned
regardless, japanese sales figures are just discouraging. i swear this country has the most questionable taste sometimes.

DFC sells 60 and this game sells 40? what in the fuck...

edit: yea can someone confirm that those sales figures dont count digital or something? the 40k is depressing :/

i really hope it has a stronger sales performance in the west. japan is so fuckin stupid

Feeroper

Well the game was very difficult to find here in Toronto. The EB games I go to said that it isnt out physically until March 2015 which i know is incorrect. Best Buy and Future Shop have nothing. I was however able to find it in the smaller independant stores. Game Shack at the Atrium got it but sold through their 3 copies right away. Game Center by Yonge and Bloor had it is and i was able to snag a PS4 copy there yesterday. They still had a couple sitting on the rack, but i imagine they are likely gone.

It appears most places didnt get it or if they did only had a few copies to sell here in Toronto. I saw it was in stock at Amazon.ca last i looked (yesterday) but all the other online stores like EB, Best Buy and Future Shop are completely out of stock.

P4AU and BBCP both did great. P4AU had a 89k opening this year, while Xrd only had a 40k opening, and that was on the PS3 and the PS4.

I think Xrd performed worse than a couple of GG's main entries.

No, licensed stuff does better. Expect the new waifu fighter to sell significantly better than GG.

Well licensed games is exactly what I meant by exceptions.

And yeah, BB just seems to be a more appealing franchise to the Japanese.

GG2: Overture not being so hot, on top of being a 360 exclusive might have something to do with people not caring about Xrd's release?

Dunno how much the story really matters to Japanese players.

FluxWaveZ

It appears most places didnt get it or if they did only had a few copies to sell here in Toronto. I saw it was in stock at Amazon.ca last i looked (yesterday) but all the other online stores like EB, Best Buy and Future Shop are completely out of stock.

I think the game was straight up not shipped to Canadian retailers, which I heard yesterday and also heard at the time of the Future Shop/BestBuy E3 deals. Probably didn't deem it worth it.

Skilletor

GG2: Overture not being so hot, on top of being a 360 exclusive might have something to do with people not caring about Xrd's release?

Dunno how much the story really matters to Japanese players.

How long has it been since the last fighting game? They skipped last generation. Other anime games have risen up.

How is the game doing in Japanese arcades?

I think the game was straight up not shipped to Canadian retailers, which I heard yesterday and also heard at the time of the Future Shop/BestBuy E3 deals. Probably didn't deem it worth it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143635147&postcount=967
Well licensed games is exactly what I meant by exceptions.

And yeah, BB just seems to be a more appealing franchise to the Japanese.
Licensed games are a pretty specific type of game though. Chrono Phantasma would probably be the exception. In the sense that BB finally managed to build up enough of a consumer awareness to get some decent sales.

RS4-

Due to the issues that are currently ongoing in the game’s online mode, it is highly advised that you change your voice language to Japanese since there are issues that prevent players that are playing with the English voice acting from playing the game normally as lag may occur.

Saw this on pstrophies, so I'm not sure how true that is. Maybe that's where the lag comes into play with some of you guys?

I haven't played online yet on ps4 though, so I don't know how widespread it is.

Kimosabae

Banned
Saw this on pstrophies, so I'm not sure how true that is. Maybe that's where the lag comes into play with some of you guys?

I haven't played online yet on ps4 though, so I don't know how widespread it is.

The hell?

Well I do play with English voice acting so I'll give that a shot when I get home.

zlatko

Banned
I don't have laggy matches---I just can't find matches.

Lobby works fine if you find a flooded server area, but good luck finding ranked matches consistently. Ugh.

FluxWaveZ

I think I had heard the issue was when two players are using different language audio, not specifically a problem with the English audio.

Ferrio

Banned

It has been a known issue since the release. And ya it's two different audios, since Japanese is the most common people are saying set to that.

hao chi

There's actually a notification on the game telling you that using a different language option than your opponent can cause desynch issues. I think the first time you play there's even a large text box that pops up telling you this, but I could be remembering wrong about that part.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is the Guts/Defence increase applied during a combo or after?

IIRC, During a combo, but after each hit.
There's actually a notification on the game telling you that using a different language option than your opponent can cause desynch issues. I think the first time you play there's even a large text box that pops up telling you this, but I could be remembering wrong about that part.

Yeah. Can't remember if it said it when you boot up the game or go online. But it definitely gave a notice.

RetroMG

I'm really digging the story that they are telling through the Story mode.

...But it's super weird that I'm watching it, and not playing it.

I think I had heard the issue was when two players are using different language audio, not specifically a problem with the English audio.

I can attest to this. Last week, I had a long session with Q. We both had english voices on, and I believe we maintained a 4-6 frame delay throughout our 23 matches. Sometimes it dipped into the double digits, but it was rare and unnoticeable, at least to me.

wwm0nkey

I'm really digging the story that they are telling through the Story mode.

...But it's super weird that I'm watching it, and not playing it.

While there are quite a few times were they can put fights in, it wouldn't be the same kind of story if eveyone was fighting all the time.

Is it too late already to get this game for the online community? Or will I walk into an endless losing streak that makes me go through nerd rage o_O???? Lol I'm ok at fighters but man arc system games are always on another stratosphere.

Mesoian

Is it too late already to get this game for the online community? Or will I walk into an endless losing streak that makes me go through nerd rage o_O???? Lol I'm ok at fighters but man arc system games are always on another stratosphere.

You'll be fine. The game came out in NA yesterday.

Ferrio

Banned
While there are quite a few times were they can put fights in, it wouldn't be the same kind of story if eveyone was fighting all the time.

It was always the same exact thing in fighters when two friendly people met up. Pick one of the 3

1. One person didn't recognize the other.
2. One had turned evil temporary.
3. Let's spar!

always felt stupid.

Throwing a random fight here or there in the story mode in this game would of felt out of place too.

Top Bottom