• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

slop101

Banned
I've had a lot of fun with this just playing single-player so far.

I actually kinda' love the absolute and utter nonsense of the story and dialog. Just disappointed that the story mode has no gameplay to it.

BTW, how do you get rid of the subtitles? I looked through the menus and didn't see an option - is there one?

I've had a lot of fun with this just playing single-player so far.

I actually kinda' love the absolute and utter nonsense of the story and dialog. Just disappointed that the story mode has no gameplay to it.

BTW, how do you get rid of the subtitles? I looked through the menus and didn't see an option - is there one?

I think that's the single greatest thing about the story mode. I hope every other fighting game with a story mode follows GG on this path. It's brilliant.

I think that's the single greatest thing about the story mode. I hope every other fighting game with a story mode follows GG on this path. It's brilliant.
Yeah its pretty much just 1 full season of anime. It works surprisingly well. I don't want them to do it for their other games though. I think its something guilty gear should keep.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah its pretty much just 1 full season of anime. It works surprisingly well. I don't want them to do it for their other games though. I think its something guilty gear should keep.

Might not count but, if there's another P4A game, I'd like to see this method of storytelling adopted for it instead of feeling the need to force fights into the story. BB's story is nonsense to me at this point so I don't know about that one.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, I never like it when they shoehorn the fights just for the sake of gameplay. I think it hurts the pacing, personally.
Especially when it affects the writing of it.

Plus (while everyone's not going to agree with me on this), I actually enjoy arcade mode when I want a bit of both. It's sort of fun to learn how to play your character along the way, then seeing some dialogue popping for characters that are rivals, especially when you don't know anything about the said character.
How is May? Is she decent? Ive been really looking forward to maining her but I have yet to see anyone use her on a stream.

She's decent. She has a lot of tools for different situations, and she does rather well. She's just one of those characters that are good, but there are others that can do better with less effort.

RetroMG

I really liked Guilty Gear XX on PS2, but I never felt like I really understood anything about the plot. With Xrd, after watching Story Mode, I really felt like I understood the plot. It does seem super weird that they basically packaged a season of anime in with the game.

But to be honest, I would totally watch an anime of the other Guilty Gear games. Heck, if they dropped the games and continued the series as an anime series, I would still totally follow it.

TWILT

Banned
Well, just finished the story mode. I really enjoyed it. Much more so than Persona's and BlazBlue's.

(Story spoilers)
Omgomgomg at Dizzy finally waking up. Day 1 if she's playable whether it's via DLC or the next version.

Well, just finished the story mode. I really enjoyed it. Much more so than Persona's and BlazBlue's.

(Story spoilers)
Omgomgomg at Dizzy finally waking up. Day 1 if she's playable whether it's via DLC or the next version.
I literally teared up when that happened. I mean, she is one of my favorite characters but that was such an effective scene.

Was messing around with Venom a few days ago, and noticed you can kind of buffer an instant air dash with his [close]slash, which is that three hit launcher; used a lot in his bread and butter combos. The buffer helps when trying to instant airdash on a controller, which I was initially trying to do.

I'm noticing a lot of characters that I want to play have instant air dashes as part of their staple bread and butters, some more than others. Venom in particular uses them a lot. I've got a Hitbox that I've been using with GG on the side, and the Hitbox really helps with instant airdashing, but I struggle using Potemkin with a Hitbox, due to me not being able to consistently do a Potemkin Buster motion on the thing. My fingers lack the dexterity, I suppose.

GG might be the first fighting game where I use one peripherial for one character, and a different peripheral for others.

That feel when I thought I'd be complete trash in this game but I can actually play competitively
RK5K67I.png

Was messing around with Venom a few days ago, and noticed you can kind of buffer an instant air dash with his [close]slash, which is that three hit launcher; used a lot in his bread and butter combos. The buffer helps when trying to instant airdash on a controller, which I was initially trying to do.
You actually don't have to do an instant air-dash for Venom's c.S combos. You can just do 8 then 66 since you have to be at kind of a certain height for the j.S > j.HS > j.D l 6HS to connect properly.

But yeah, you can buffer it with him which makes it a lot easier than some of the other IAD combos with the other characters.

You actually don't have to do an instant air-dash for Venom's c.S combos. You can just do 8 then 66 since you have to be at kind of a certain height for the j.S > j.HS > j.D l 6HS to connect properly.

But yeah, you can buffer it with him which makes it a lot easier than some of the other IAD combos with the other characters.

Wow, is that right? I feel like hugging you right now.

Grr, it's information like this that makes me want to immediately hit training mode, but I can't play this until next Tuesday. Work has more priority than jabs during a danger time.

rookiejet

Bedman. Wat.

Wat.

Halp. Halp, pls

Also, netplay is great. What are you all talking about?
I'm 2-3f to most of the players I've played in my region.

synce

I think this is the first GG since Midnight Carnival that I could really get into... So far I'm loving everything although the animations seem kinda choppy (mainly things like facial close ups). Is this a PS3 issue or a UE3 issue?

Onemic

I think this is the first GG since Midnight Carnival that I could really get into... So far I'm loving everything although the animations seem kinda choppy (mainly things like facial close ups). Is this a PS3 issue or a UE3 issue?

That's done purposely I think

Dambrosi

Banned
It's done intentionally, to make it feel more like the old GGXX games.

Korten

Banned
I would love to try the demo out before jumping in... The internet tells me it exists, and so does the PSN store but it is no where to be found.

Sayad

There's no demo at all anymore- was limited time thing.
Yep, silly thing is, PS+ was still promoting it last I checked(two days ago), lol.
Seriously though, Aksys/ASW need to make that demo available to the public, it's an excellent showcase for the game and generally got a lot of praise from those who tried it. There really is no need to hide it behind PS+ or make it available for two or so weeks only.

Morris

Disco Devil
Bought Xrd today and spent all night completing all of Sol's trials with the DS4.

I'm a PS3 pad main and I'm definitely not happy with the DS4 pad, it feels like it might have some slightly dead zones, like when trying to jump forward it'll input a neutral jump direction, or when trying to do 214214 it'll just do a backdash. Not being able to use a DS3/Old sticks on the ps4 is some Grade-A bullshit.

Other than that i'm really enjoying the game. This is my first GG so idk what the fuck i'm doing at all yet. I've only tried Sol but I'll probably main Elphelt.

Still need to play online. Hope the netcode doesn't sour me up on the game...

Kimosabae

Banned

I'm noticing a lot of characters that I want to play have instant air dashes as part of their staple bread and butters, some more than others. Venom in particular uses them a lot. I've got a Hitbox that I've been using with GG on the side, and the Hitbox really helps with instant airdashing, but I struggle using Potemkin with a Hitbox, due to me not being able to consistently do a Potemkin Buster motion on the thing. My fingers lack the dexterity, I suppose.

GG might be the first fighting game where I use one peripherial for one character, and a different peripheral for others.

It's not that you can buffer the IAD in total, but you can buffer the 9 input, and if you're conscious of that, you just input 6 with the right timing and you get your iAD. It's been like this for as long as I can remember.

That's done purposely I think

Did I play you in ranked yesterday?

SykoTech

Going through Story Mode. Got to the part where Sin, uh....

Tries to make friends with Ram and get her to embrace emotions. Complete with a montage and corny background music.

So much cheese, but I'm actually kinda enjoying it. Better than Persona Arena's anyway. Way too much characters-thinking-in-their-head walls of text there.

Might not count but, if there's another P4A game, I'd like to see this method of storytelling adopted for it instead of feeling the need to force fights into the story. BB's story is nonsense to me at this point so I don't know about that one.
The way BB's story is presented is integral to the story it self. Since Calamity Trigger it's been a VN with multiple routes, bad ends, and joke endings. It adopted many conventions of the genre including stuff like TIPS/Hints with the "Teach me Ms. Litchi" and the like. That VN style of presentation has fed back into the plot which was about a recurring pocket of time, again a bit of a common VN trope.

BB's story is a product of the year 2009, they kinda have to wrap up Ragna's plot and move on if they want to do anything else.

Oh hey look at me type up random nonsense instead of actually playing games. Been dodging online games for like 2 days now.

Volcynika

The way BB's story is presented is integral to the story it self. Since Calamity Trigger it's been a VN with multiple routes, bad ends, and joke endings. It adopted many conventions of the genre including stuff like TIPS/Hints with the "Teach me Ms. Litchi" and the like. That VN style of presentation has fed back into the plot which was about a recurring pocket of time, again a bit of a common VN trope.

BB's story is a product of the year 2009, they kinda have to wrap up Ragna's plot and move on if they want to do anything else.

Oh hey look at me type up random nonsense instead of actually playing games. Been dodging online games for like 2 days now.

We need to play more and push buttonz.

Takuan

Someone in my area is selling the "digital copy from the Japanese store" at a discount. I've never done cross-region game-sharing, so I'm curious if it's legit and what the differences are between the JP/NA digital version. Can I be banned from PSN for this? Will I need to log into that account every single time to play the game?

Skilletor

Someone in my area is selling the "digital copy from the Japanese store" at a discount. I've never done cross-region game-sharing, so I'm curious if it's legit and what the differences are between the JP/NA digital version. Can I be banned from PSN for this? Will I need to log into that account every single time to play the game?

Do you know the person well? You would have to log in to the JP account to download it, but after that you wouldn't need to.

However, I would be worried about sharing with a person I don't know because that person could sell you the game, and then de-authorize (?) the licenses on the 2nd system (yours) at a later date. Since you can only gameshare between two consoles, the person who owns the account could change the password, transfer the license, and you wouldn't have access to the game anymore.

Sounds okay, just be sure you trust the person.

Top Bottom