• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Two questions guys and would kindly appreciate some advice as im highly interested in this game.

1.Where would be the best and cheapest place to buy this being a UK resident? It looks like I'll need to make a US PSN account to download the game, but is there any other method?

2.This will be my first GG game. I'm a Viper player (at a decent/high level) on SF4, and dabbled in a bit of BB when it first came out, but havent touch it again since then. How easy of a transition is it from coming over from SF4? I hear the many comparisons of how Viper is a character that could fit into GG, and many GG players who came over to SF4 did happen to play Viper too (Latif & Flash Metroid)

Any help would be appreciated!

Zomba13

Two questions guys and would kindly appreciate some advice as im highly interested in this game.

1.Where would be the best and cheapest place to buy this being a UK resident? It looks like I'll need to make a US PSN account to download the game, but is there any other method?

2.This will be my first GG game. I'm a Viper player (at a decent/high level) on SF4, and dabbled in a bit of BB when it first came out, but havent touch it again since then. How easy of a transition is it from coming over from SF4? I hear the many comparisons of how Viper is a character that could fit into GG, and many GG players who came over to SF4 did happen to play Viper too (Latif & Flash Metroid)

1. I got it off the US PSN store. Just made a US account, bought the points cards off Amazon and added them to the account (1 $50, 1 $10) and bought and downloaded it and played it on my main account. Not sure if paypal works on the US PSN because I remember trying it before (I think on PSN or maybe XBL) and it didn't let me do it.

2. I was way into GG before I played SF4 and I immediately took a shine to Viper. Dunno if it's the GG like style of her or not but I find it funny that it's apparently a thing.

Mesoian

holy shit... to be fair, thats probably character specific.

/Hey anyone on the east Coast wanna play? getting of work in 30 minutes

are you able to edit the doc?

I'll be on, but I need to go to the gym first. The only way my brain slows down enough for me to think clearly while playing this game is If I run two miles and lift a lot of weights first apparently.

zlatko

Banned
I am hella free and will be on in the most populated east coast lobby for the new york area.

I'm OutlawOcelot and will create a lobby for casuals/scrubs to join in on.

zlatko

Banned
I"d be down for some games psn is xDem0nEyesx

So many good matches!

I swear each round was like neck and neck, but you kept squeaking them out.

My issue is I'm on pad, but I'm a stick player. If I had a stick I think we would've seen more combos from me and air set ups. I feel crippled doing things to the left hand side of my screen.

Either way though, I had a blast! I'm up for more anytime.

Great I-No.

dem0neyes

So many good matches!

I swear each round was like neck and neck, but you kept squeaking them out.

My issue is I'm on pad, but I'm a stick player. If I had a stick I think we would've seen more combos from me and air set ups. I feel crippled doing things to the left hand side of my screen.

Either way though, I had a blast! I'm up for more anytime.

Great I-No.

lol yea good games man. i'm still waiting for my ps4 stick to show up so i can start playing on that instead. What state do you live in btw?

Kimosabae

Banned
There are special conditions that are similar to the BB/P4 game ending ones where the IK activation is kinda different and the bar glows golden instead of red? Somebody should probably give a better explanation of what it is, I think someone said it lets you combo into the IK.

10-20% of your opponent's life, last round, and you have 50%, or greater Tension. Time slows on your opponent, similar to an RC, allowing you to combo into your IK.

Kimosabae

Banned

There's no character that actually plays like Viper in this game. She's just one of the few characters in the SF series that is relatively oblique in terms of her execution and approach. If you're a competent Viper, what's going to carry over are the character traits/habits that helped you develop good execution, such as a good training mode regimen. Outside maybe Pot, even characters that are relatively execution-laxed have pressure/combo routes that are going to require dedication to training mode in Guilty Gear.

My suggestions to a Viper player picking up Xrd: Eddie, Venom, Chipp, I-No, Ramlethal, Millia

I'd say Venom is the closest thing To Viper in terms of overall play style. Chipp, I-No, Millia if you're one of those Viper players that always tried to rushdown until you realized it doesn't work against competent players lol

zlatko

Banned
lol yea good games man. i'm still waiting for my ps4 stick to show up so i can start playing on that instead. What state do you live in btw?
I'm out in Colorado. You?
You guys have a lobby up or anything? I'd like to get some matches in.

I have a lobby set up in the North East USA. It's the biggest population one for the new york area when you go to find it.

Inside there look for OutlawOcelot --- that's what it is named.

Inside is a lot of casuals going on.

I'm out in Colorado. You?

I have a lobby set up in the North East USA. It's the biggest population one for the new york area when you go to find it.

Inside there look for OutlawOcelot --- that's what it is named.

Inside is a lot of casuals going on.
I am in Colorado Springs. Add me up for a good connection...once I get a PS4 stick.

Just got the game. Haven't played Guilty Gear since XX, so I forgot every possible thing I ever knew about the series. Pretty excited to start fresh.

It would be neat if my PS2 Neo-Geo stick w/ a usb adapter worked with the PS3 version of the game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Online match quality doesn't sound too hot right now, but I'll be sure to use an ethernet cord with my PS3 set to DMZ, at least.

It would be neat if my PS2 Neo-Geo stick w/ a usb adapter worked with the PS3 version of the game, but I'm not holding my breath.

That might just actually work, when SF4 first came out I didn't have a PS3 stick to use so I ended up trying out a ps2 to PC usb adapter and it worked with my ps2 stick.

Papstr

Neo Member
Cool, thanks...and you mean an in game library?

Yeah. The game has a library full of key terms about the franchise and also a timeline of events. It gets filled up as you go through story mode and terms pop up. It covers everything from Sol Badguy to Unreal Engine 3 and Arc System Works. It's strangely thorough.

Volcynika

Yeah. The game has a library full of key terms about the franchise and also a timeline of events. It gets filled up as you go through story mode and terms pop up. It covers everything from Sol Badguy to Unreal Engine 3 and Arc System Works. It's strangely thorough.

There is SO. MUCH. INFO. in that library. EVERYTHING. The game's terms, the games themselves, developer info, etc. Yeesh. Really dense and an interesting read.

Now I am not sure if I should stick with Sol. Practicing his stuff in training mode is great but I am actually not having that much fun playing him against other people.

What's giving you the most trouble?

I played probably half an hour to an hour set today so I am a bit shaken up after that and just need to cool off.

Still pretty new to the game so I have a bunch of problems that are dragging me down. I don't know the spacing well enough so I often end up using gun flame when it's not safe and paying for it. I don't know proper hit confirm routes/combos so I never manage to get a proper follow up. That and I usually can't convert into anything from random hits. My lack of ability to get any kind of damage out kind of really screws up my neutral game.

Opening people up is also pretty hard for me, run up wild throw is cool and all but I kind of don't really have any way to open someone up with just normals and I have no idea what to do when they jump.

All in all I am just really scrubby so the games tend to either go on for too long and I just can't handle all the pressure I am putting on my self mentally. That or I get blown up pretty quick. It just feels too stressful to play him, these were casual matches and I am still burnt out after them lol.

There's no character that actually plays like Viper in this game. She's just one of the few characters in the SF series that is relatively oblique in terms of her execution and approach. If you're a competent Viper, what's going to carry over are the character traits/habits that helped you develop good execution, such as a good training mode regimen. Outside maybe Pot, even characters that are relatively execution-laxed have pressure/combo routes that are going to require dedication to training mode in Guilty Gear.

My suggestions to a Viper player picking up Xrd: Eddie, Venom, Chipp, I-No, Ramlethal, Millia

I'd say Venom is the closest thing To Viper in terms of overall play style. Chipp, I-No, Millia if you're one of those Viper players that always tried to rushdown until you realized it doesn't work against competent players lol

1. I got it off the US PSN store. Just made a US account, bought the points cards off Amazon and added them to the account (1 $50, 1 $10) and bought and downloaded it and played it on my main account. Not sure if paypal works on the US PSN because I remember trying it before (I think on PSN or maybe XBL) and it didn't let me do it.

2. I was way into GG before I played SF4 and I immediately took a shine to Viper. Dunno if it's the GG like style of her or not but I find it funny that it's apparently a thing.

Thanks guys for the info. Ill buy the game off PSN tonight. I'm definitely one of those vipers who rushdown so i think ill give chip a run as i like his design the most, but ill try the other characters you mentioned too.

I'm new so will anyone be willing to add me for some noob games so i can get the hang of things?

ID - Former1

*I'm also in the UK, so i dont know how much that would affect connections during games, considering most of you are probably in the USA.

Dumb question coming, in order to do a HJC mid combo from a crouching HS do i need to input down, up again after the Cr.HS? Or is there a short cut, I assumed I can jump push up since I am already cr anyhow.

Papstr

Neo Member
I played probably half an hour to an hour set today so I am a bit shaken up after that and just need to cool off.

Still pretty new to the game so I have a bunch of problems that are dragging me down. I don't know the spacing well enough so I often end up using gun flame when it's not safe and paying for it. I don't know proper hit confirm routes/combos so I never manage to get a proper follow up. That and I usually can't convert into anything from random hits. My lack of ability to get any kind of damage out kind of really screws up my neutral game.

Opening people up is also pretty hard for me, run up wild throw is cool and all but I kind of don't really have any way to open someone up with just normals and I have no idea what to do when they jump.

All in all I am just really scrubby so the games tend to either go on for too long and I just can't handle all the pressure I am putting on my self mentally. That or I get blown up pretty quick. It just feels too stressful to play him, these were casual matches and I am still burnt out after them lol.

For the whole Gunflame thing, generally you want it to connect towards the end, as far away as possible. The ideal range you're shooting for is f.S range. In fact, f.S is how Sol gets started. Any time f.S connects, be it blocked or hit, you should cancel it into 2S. This makes it more advantageous regardless of if the 2S connects or not. After that, you usually have a couple options. You can dash forward and FD break to see what your opponent does, or go for the f.S 2S series again. Once they're conditioned to expect that, you can try f.S into gunflame, which will net you the best frame advantage for it, and if they press buttons and it counterhits you get a combo.

In terms of hitconfirms, Sol doesn't really get the big stuff off at f.S range. At best you net the above situations meterlessly. If you want to burn 50 meter you can do f.S 5H RC bandit bringer. Ideally your goal with any hit you land is to get knockdown. Try to remind yourself that anything that connects, you want it to end in 2D. the ideal basic midscreen is 5k c.S 2D 236K, but you want to make sure anything ends in 2D. I even do stuff like 2P 2P 2P 2D if I can't quite get a good confirm. Don't sweat over doing 'perfect' or 'optimal' stuff. The goal is the get the knockdown and go from there.

Opening up people is different from the usual stuff with Sol. He lacks a good overhead so you can't go for traditional high/low like most characters. His pressure game is a grappler at heart. When you're close, the name of the game is tick throws and frame traps. 2P -> Wild Throw, 2K -> Wild Throw, etc, are all good options. After you've landed these, the opponent is gonna want to mash. That's where frame traps come in. Doing things like 2P delay 2P can net you simple counterhits, and you can simply go 2P 2K 2D, or just 2P 2P 2D afterward; it doesn't matter so long as you get that knockdown. If you're close enough, make sure you bandit revolver after 2D for extra damage and better oki set up. Other useful frame traps are 2P 6P which is extremely rewarding on counterhit; follow up with 5K 2H into the basic air combo (j.k j.s JC j.s j.H DP) and if they block 6P you can delay gatling into f.S 2S or anything else, throwing in yet another frame trap.

Antiairing: With Sol it's a little tricky. Your useful AAs of choice are 5K, DP, and 6P. Each is situational, there's no catch-all. Against jumpins with not so much priority, or if they press too late, 5K is your basic answer, going into 2H into air combo. You also have the option of running under and nailing 5K from behind.

DP is the most effective but most risky. This'll beat pretty much any jump in and if the second hit counter hits you can run up and combo off of it (picking up with run up 5K 2H -> air stuff)

6P isn't as reliable as others but has it's uses. It doesn't have as good upper invuln as most 6Ps, so you'll mostly use this against people who try to IAD or otherwise jump in at a shallow angle. On counterhit it's of course very rewarding, but even off a regular hit you can gatling into c.S 2H for a simple air combo.

You said you were struggling with the fun aspect so IDK if this is all going to be helpful to you, but I think you'd probably enjoy yourself more once you get things going. I sorta ramble a bit when I give advice so if you need something clarified just ask. And heck if he's not fun still you can always play another character.

zlatko

Banned
I am in Colorado Springs. Add me up for a good connection...once I get a PS4 stick.

I'm all over it. Let me know when you do.

Honestly though---I suck on pad, but I don't feel my execution is complete trash on pad with this game compared to past fighters.

This and Killer Instinct seem a little more lenient for pad execution almost it seems. That or the years of fighting game grind just have payed off, and even off stick I'm doing alright.

If you want to mess around with it you may as well grab it and do casuals with a pad, and enjoy some tutorial mode, story, arcade, etc.

-----------

I wish Razor's stick for XB1 was also for PS4. That thing is mighty slick.

zlatko

Banned
What's the difference right now between the Hori Hayabusa stick for PS4 and a MadCatz TE2 ?

I mean visually it's obvious, but are the parts that different within? I have a TE2 for my 360, and I may dip for a Hayabusa, then drop my TE2 buttons and gate into a Hayabusa.

Haya is $50.00 cheaper than MadCatz too, but everything is out of stock.

Good time to be Markman.

I'm all over it. Let me know when you do.

Honestly though---I suck on pad, but I don't feel my execution is complete trash on pad with this game compared to past fighters.

This and Killer Instinct seem a little more lenient for pad execution almost it seems. That or the years of fighting game grind just have payed off, and even off stick I'm doing alright.

If you want to mess around with it you may as well grab it and do casuals with a pad, and enjoy some tutorial mode, story, arcade, etc.

-----------

I wish Razor's stick for XB1 was also for PS4. That thing is mighty slick.
I can do inputs just fine, but I want to main Zato, and I can't negative edge for crap on a pad. I am currently spending 20 minutes a night practicing his inputs and basic setups, but I can't even beat 2 matches of M.O.M. right now.

I know that feel. I muck around on the PS4 version by pad and Remote Play sometimes, but I can't go in without a stick.
Ditto.

What's the difference right now between the Hori Hayabusa stick for PS4 and a MadCatz TE2 ?

I mean visually it's obvious, but are the parts that different within? I have a TE2 for my 360, and I may dip for a Hayabusa, then drop my TE2 buttons and gate into a Hayabusa.

Good time to be Markman.
Nah, this is tough on him. There's a strike at the port they use for bringing in sticks, so their delivery is going very slowly. He should be raking in the cash, but circumstances outside of his control are holding it back.

The big differences between the Hori and the TE2:
1) TE2 is way easier to modify.
2) TE2 is heavier.
3) Hori back panel comes off; I don't think TE2 does.
4) Hori no longer uses Sanwa buttons. Most don't care for the new ones, I hear.
5) Start button placement.
6) $50.

Personally, I'd rather get the TE2 based on all that, since I would have to pay to swap out the Hori buttons anyway. It's really a shitty situation for everyone right now.

Uthred

Good time to be Markman.

Well the HRAP4 uses a Hayabusa stick, the TE2 uses a Sanwa JLF. Sticks are of equal quality and honestly feel quite similar, Hayabusa comes with a square gate as stock, not sure about the TE2. HRAP4 uses Hori Kuro buttons, TE2 uses Sanwa, again the Kuro buttons are functionally equivalent to the Sanwa ones, they do feel a little different, but honestly theres no way to tell which you'd prefer without getting your hands on it yourself. IIRC theyre supposed to be slightly longer lasting, but functionally thats not going to make much difference.

TE2 is easier to modify as you can open it from the top and the artwork justs drops in under the plexi. The HRAP4 does have QD's on the button though so its hardly onerous to mod, you would need to get custom plexi if you wanted custom art.

The HRAP4 is lighter, though it certainly doesnt feel flimsy, to be honest I find the weight good, especially for "lap play". Personally I'm quite happy with the HRAP4 so far, not least because I think the shape of the TE2 is fucking hideous, lots of its extra features e.g. shoulder strap stuff, etc. is useless to me, and last of all it was dirt cheap a while ago on Amazon.co.uk, its still fairly cheap there and the TE2's arent available in the EU.

Laconic

Banned
The big differences between the Hori and the TE2:
1) TE2 is way easier to modify.
2) TE2 is heavier.
3) Hori back panel comes off; I don't think TE2 does.
4) Hori no longer uses Sanwa buttons. Most don't care for the new ones, I hear.
5) Start button placement.
6) $50.

Personally, I'd rather get the TE2 based on all that, since I would have to pay to swap out the Hori buttons anyway. It's really a shitty situation for everyone right now.

This is the first iteration that I might actually side with MC having the superior sticks.

The Start placement is beyond dumb, on the Hori.

And even though I hear good things about the Hayabusa, those Kuros are bound to annoy me, given their being somewhere between Sanwa and Sei, yet feel cheaper than both.

I tend towards Sei sticks + Sanwa buttons, but that Start button...

Good time to be Markman.

Both are good sticks in my opinion. If you like a heavier more sturdy feeling stick then I would go TE2. Being easy to mod is also nice if you're not comfortable with it.

Hori stick is able to detach the back panel which some people like. They also aren't using sanwa buttons and some people don't like the new ones as much.

The $50 price difference in price doesn'the really matter when looking at high end sticks most people expect to pay a good amount anyways and $50 shouldn't make or break it.

I have multiple TE and hrap3 for ps3/xbox and I mostly stuck with the TE when playing.

Trying to find one that isn't marked up like crazy is different story. Hopefully they get a new shipment in soon because I just got my Christmas bonus today.

This is the first iteration that I might actually side with MC having the superior sticks.

The Start placement is beyond dumb, on the Hori.

And even though I hear good things about the Hayabusa, those Kuros are bound to annoy me, given their being somewhere between Sanwa and Sei, yet feel cheaper than both.

I tend towards Sei sticks + Sanwa buttons, but that Start button...

I agree with the placement being kind of bad but I never had problems with playing the placement on my hrap3. I don't think I ever accidentally hit it during play. It just takes away a little from the aesthetic look and flow of the stick in my opinion

Uthred

The $50 price difference in price doesn'the really matter when looking at high end sticks most people expect to pay a good amount anyways and $50 shouldn't make or break it.

$50 is a sizeable enough chunk of cash, 33% of the RRP of the HRAP4 and 25% of the RRP of the TE2. Depending on how invested you are, or are planning to get, in fighting games I can see that $50 swaying a lot of people.

I agree with the placement being kind of bad but I never had problems with playing the placement on my hrap3. I don't think I ever accidentally hit it during play. It just takes away a little from the aesthetic look and flow of the stick in my opinion

I agree, cant see any issue with the placement other than aesthetic, why would your hand even be over that side of the stick during play?

Over 5,000 matches with my HRAP V3 SA, and I have never hit start on accident. I prefer its placement to MC.

I check Amazon every few hours hoping a MC stick pops up.

fader

start button placement is not bad.

how many times have you accidentally hit the player button at an arcade machine?
none
I have the HRAP N3 and I have never hit the start button by accident because frankly, unless you are the giant from jack and the beanstalk your fingers wont reach that area.

Top Bottom