• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Kimosabae

Banned
For the whole Gunflame thing, generally you want it to connect towards the end, as far away as possible. The ideal range you're shooting for is f.S range. In fact, f.S is how Sol gets started. Any time f.S connects, be it blocked or hit, you should cancel it into 2S. This makes it more advantageous regardless of if the 2S connects or not. After that, you usually have a couple options. You can dash forward and FD break to see what your opponent does, or go for the f.S 2S series again. Once they're conditioned to expect that, you can try f.S into gunflame, which will net you the best frame advantage for it, and if they press buttons and it counterhits you get a combo.

In terms of hitconfirms, Sol doesn't really get the big stuff off at f.S range. At best you net the above situations meterlessly. If you want to burn 50 meter you can do f.S 5H RC bandit bringer. Ideally your goal with any hit you land is to get knockdown. Try to remind yourself that anything that connects, you want it to end in 2D. the ideal basic midscreen is 5k c.S 2D 236K, but you want to make sure anything ends in 2D. I even do stuff like 2P 2P 2P 2D if I can't quite get a good confirm. Don't sweat over doing 'perfect' or 'optimal' stuff. The goal is the get the knockdown and go from there.

Opening up people is different from the usual stuff with Sol. He lacks a good overhead so you can't go for traditional high/low like most characters. His pressure game is a grappler at heart. When you're close, the name of the game is tick throws and frame traps. 2P -> Wild Throw, 2K -> Wild Throw, etc, are all good options. After you've landed these, the opponent is gonna want to mash. That's where frame traps come in. Doing things like 2P delay 2P can net you simple counterhits, and you can simply go 2P 2K 2D, or just 2P 2P 2D afterward; it doesn't matter so long as you get that knockdown. If you're close enough, make sure you bandit revolver after 2D for extra damage and better oki set up. Other useful frame traps are 2P 6P which is extremely rewarding on counterhit; follow up with 5K 2H into the basic air combo (j.k j.s JC j.s j.H DP) and if they block 6P you can delay gatling into f.S 2S or anything else, throwing in yet another frame trap.

Antiairing: With Sol it's a little tricky. Your useful AAs of choice are 5K, DP, and 6P. Each is situational, there's no catch-all. Against jumpins with not so much priority, or if they press too late, 5K is your basic answer, going into 2H into air combo. You also have the option of running under and nailing 5K from behind.

DP is the most effective but most risky. This'll beat pretty much any jump in and if the second hit counter hits you can run up and combo off of it (picking up with run up 5K 2H -> air stuff)

6P isn't as reliable as others but has it's uses. It doesn't have as good upper invuln as most 6Ps, so you'll mostly use this against people who try to IAD or otherwise jump in at a shallow angle. On counterhit it's of course very rewarding, but even off a regular hit you can gatling into c.S 2H for a simple air combo.

You said you were struggling with the fun aspect so IDK if this is all going to be helpful to you, but I think you'd probably enjoy yourself more once you get things going. I sorta ramble a bit when I give advice so if you need something clarified just ask. And heck if he's not fun still you can always play another character.

great post.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I saw a lot of stick talk. if there are any questions just holla at me. but it seems like you guys have things covered lol.

I saw a lot of stick talk. if there are any questions just holla at me. but it seems like you guys have things covered lol.

My only question is since there seems to be a pretty decent demand for the GGXrd stick what are the chances that there will be a restock? I unfortunately didn't pre-order in time I wasn't expecting them to be gone so fast. It's awesome that they are selling like hot cakes.

Rhapsody

Banned
start button placement is not bad.

how many times have you accidentally hit the player button at an arcade machine?
none
I have the HRAP N3 and I have never hit the start button by accident because frankly, unless you are the giant from jack and the beanstalk your fingers wont reach that area.

Even though I don't own one, but not once have I mashed Start accidentally on my friend's Qanba.

And luckily Xrd is like Skullgirls, iirc. Start has to be held (and yes, I know people are going to be using the stick for other games too, but still)

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting that they decided to simplify the online ranking system from BB and P4A. Before there was individual character PSR, an overall grade and an overall level w/ an experience system, but now it's just levels. Not even sure you can lose levels if you lose too much, either.

Right now, there are two characters that I find particularly overwhelming to go against: Bedman and a good Elphelt. Bedman's just nuts and confusing, really have to learn how his stuff works. And a good Elphely can easily lock someone down with good grenade use.

The two characters I've seen played the least so far are Potemkin and Axl.

FluxWaveZ

Heaven
Hell. Let's be honest... that net code.

It's been totally fine for me since the NA launch. Always less than a 9f delay. Had about 25-30 matches today, and only one of them had some crazy delay. I can even find Ranked games consistently when I enter for it instead of searching for one.

Rhapsody

Banned
Great, I'm getting 7+ on the delay with my PS4 friend now.

Used to be 2 on my end, 7+ on his. This sucks. Now it just made both sides bad lol

Hugstable

Banned
If you're not paying attention to if he blocked or not before doing stun dipper then you're kinda missing the entire point of the mission.

Don't just sweep, do 5P 5K 5S 2D Stun Dipper, that should give you enough time to react.

Just got home and got it down! Thanks a ton! I'm not super great at fighting games especially when it gets to the really technical stuff, but this has actually been a pretty good tool for getting me to learn now that I'm understanding how to do these missions. Even did some research to learn what you meant by 5P 5K 5S, didn't know what the numbers meant until today haha. Time to get to training more on my Elphelt.

And I really need to get a Fightstick. Hopefully I can snag one of those Guilty Gear branded Mad Catz sticks, those look pretty neat.

Rhapsody

Banned
Wait...ps3 had a patch?

Now it just made crossplay worse on both sides instead of just PS4's side (I still don't know why we got different delays pre-PS3 patch).

8+ delay on both.

However, this is coast to coast. But it wasn't bad on my side before which is weird.

Bob White

Now it just made crossplay worse on both sides instead of just PS4's side (I still don't know why we got different delays pre-PS3 patch).

8+ delay on both.

However, this is coast to coast. But it wasn't bad on my side before which is weird.

Just tried it out online. 12 frame delay no matter what with people with solid 4 bar connections. wtf, man...

On ps4 btw

FluxWaveZ

Just tried it out online. 12 frame delay no matter what with people with solid 4 bar connections. wtf, man...

On ps4 btw

Interesting. I'm on PS3 and the last two people I've just faced had exactly 12f of delay, and it never budged. I didn't usually face lag like that before the patch, and I never had a situation where it didn't change at all.

Edit: Same thing just happened against my third opponent. Did that patch really make things worse?

And against my fourth opponent. This is ridiculous.

WViking87

I have the Persona 4 Arcade TE2 stick preordered on your website. Any idea when those will ship? I want to use the stick to play Guilty Gear ASAP.

Also, I love those orange buttons on the Persona TE2 stick.

Nyoro SF

This online though. I faced a 4-bar Ky and while it normally stayed at 2F delay, every time he did a special it would skyrocket to 12F delay. Unplayable!

Naite

8+ delay on both.

Extremely saddening that the PS3 patch made the netcode worse, especially since I double dipped on a PS3 version partially because of the bad crossplay netcode after the PS4 patch.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, things were just fine for me before this patch, but now it's all about those 12 frames of delay. Ugh. I'm not sure if the four separate people I went against that I experienced that with were playing on the PS4. It would surprise me, if so.

Bob White

I want to start a thread about this bullshit hackjob of an online experience with the hopes that gaf starts some sort of #better online for fighters thingy or whatever but...outside of us hardcore fgc guys, no one really cares.

This shit is depressing.

I haven't really played since the weekend and your online impressions are scaring me D:

...Anyways, what are the current opinions on Leo so far?

FluxWaveZ

I want to start a thread about this bullshit hackjob of an online experience with the hopes that gaf starts some sort of #better online for fighters thingy or whatever but...outside of us hardcore fgc guys, no one really cares.

This shit is depressing.

We're talking about ASW. The online in their fighting games is usually up there with the best of them, so it's not like this problem with Xrd is a common thing. Fighting games actually seem to have pretty decent online these days, in general (potentially minus NRS and Capcom).

And I think casual players care more about netcode than the "hardcore FGC", who I would generally associate with local players.

Rhapsody

Banned
Extremely saddening that the PS3 patch made the netcode worse, especially since I double dipped on a PS3 version partially because of the bad crossplay netcode after the PS4 patch.

Although I haven't played any PS3 people yet with my PS3. But I guess according to others, that's not going so well.

Onemic

My experience online has been great coincidentally. Most of my matches tonight have been between 2 - 6 frames. Worst I had was 10f but those matches have been few and far between so far.

Morris

Disco Devil
Anyone want to play? I've been getting matches that jump between 4 and 10 frames...

ID: floydnova

I'm on ps4 if that matters.

Are there any physical retailers that ordered Fed sticks from MC that I could check with some faint hope of finding one? This is so frustrating. -_-

Marz

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143977855]Got my ino corner bnb to 230 damage ^_^[/QUOTE]

Damn. I'm still trying to get 150 combos with Eddie.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143977855]Got my ino corner bnb to 230 damage ^_^[/QUOTE]

I-No is so awesome when the opponent's in the corner. If you end in j.236P you can also do note or VCL oki after. So good.

ZeroX03

Banned
My HRAP V4 arrived recently. The stick is great but the Kuro buttons are frankly terrible. Sorta wishing that Mad Catz ship to Australia otherwise I'd have purchased one ASAP. Guess I'll just swap out the buttons for Sanwa/Seimitsu depending on price and availability here.

Damn. I'm still trying to get 150 combos with Eddie.
Its still meterless so I could do a bit more but I can't do the funky hcb, f motions very well on pad yet lol. The cool thing about Ino combos is that they break up so well for resets. Her AA grab seems like shenanigans though.

Prototype

I haven't been online yet, as I have offline people to play with but I don't generally have problems in any online games. Will he going online soon though once I get better. Hope it works out for me.

Well, MvC 3 did suck pretty bad online.

Top Bottom