• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Finished the story. I've always liked the GG story but wow, that was godlike. Didn't think I'd like the all cutscene approach, but wow, I wouldn't mind seeing other fighters actually go that route going forward.
So uh, is Ky a Gear now?

Hitting training mode with Millia now. Gotta practice those jump cancel air dashes. (Though if what I'm reading about the netcode is on point, I'd probably have issues doing them consistently online anyway)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";144293182]Prepare your anus for the hell of low-profile forward dash hurtboxes. It's more Bolts of Balthakk than EMD.[/QUOTE]
Ah, gotcha. Can you spam it against Potemkin?

I am sticking with Zato regardless. The only characters that could replace him for me are Testament and Dizzy.

FluxWaveZ

Good games. My main's Zato, but I started playing Bedman yesterday after I found him to be rather interesting, and also 'cause of his antagonist status. Don't know if I really like playing him yet, though.

zlatko

Banned
Good games. My main's Zato, but I started playing Bedman yesterday after I found him to be rather interesting, and also 'cause of his antagonist status. Don't know if I really like playing him yet, though.

I personally hate the look of the character. I like what the kid in the Bed looks like somewhat, but fighting a crippled boy in a robo bed just feels...whack.

You play a more conservative approach than most Zato's who tend to just maul me when they get an opening. Your Bedman also is looking for holes while setting up traps.

Kimosabae

Banned
Awesome, so Venom's crouching hurt box completely ducks under Ky's AD j.S unless the air dash is frame specific, making this matchup even more frustrating than it already is.

Worse than Viper v Elena.

ARRGHHH

Neoxon

I'm waiting to get a PS4 before I jump on....& to mod my stick unless ASW enables PS3 stick support
#PS3SticksForGGXrd
.....or buy a new one.

Glad you guys are enjoying it though, & I hope to join you all soon enough.

Uraizen

Banned
Had a 2f battle, it was magical. I didn't know such a thing was possible. It went to 12f on the next battle and the one after that. So I fought a Zato and had 3f with him, was pretty happy with it. After that it turned into a 9f battle. So they can get it right if they fix whatever is causing this... cool.

Yes, the differences between each match quality was very obvious.

Rhapsody

Banned
Raph, you play everyone!
I do, haha. I love Guilty Gear and it just clicks faster.

I started in AC and only dabbled in reload for fun. But I'm more of just being a fan. I never played the game constantly at a high level from then to now. I just enjoyed watching and playing here and there.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm considering picking up Elphelt until the patch hits. I think her 5HS and good range on her other moves would make her ideal for laggy situations.
f.S is her good far poke. Use that a lot. Then confirm into 5HS on standing or 2HS on crouching.

I'm actually using Elphelt less after seeing the easy unblockable loops. She became less interesting to me now.

Anyone got any tips to linking Millia's j.Dust into an air dash to continue into her j.S -> j.HS?

I can only get it to work a few times if I mash my stick like 8 times to the right/left super fast but there's gotta be a better way that probably won't break the stick lol.

Anyone got any tips to linking Millia's j.Dust into an air dash to continue into her j.S -> j.HS?

I can only get it to work a few times if I mash my stick like 8 times to the right/left super fast but there's gotta be a better way that probably won't break the stick lol.
Have to learn the timing and practice your instant air dashes. 9,6

Rhapsody

Banned

Do you know the inputs for instant air dash? 956 is the input for it off the ground, and it also works for doing it after jump cancels. I suggest practicing j.D on a standing opponent, and trying to get the instant air dash off of it. If the air dash isn't coming out and all you're getting is a jump toward, it means you're inputting the 9 too early, so delay it.

Essay

You have to double-jump cancel the j.D first and then instant air-dash. Slow your hands down and try to tap up-foward (return stick to neutral) then forward (once) late in the j.D's animation and you should start to get it.

Have to learn the timing and practice your instant air dashes. 9,6

]Do you know the inputs for instant air dash? 956 is the input for it off the ground, and it also works for doing it after jump cancels.[/B] I suggest practicing j.D on a standing opponent, and trying to get the instant air dash off of it. If the air dash isn't coming out and all you're getting is a jump toward, it means you're inputting the 9 too early, so delay it.

You have to double-jump cancel the j.D first and then instant air-dash. Slow your hands down and try to tap up-foward (return stick to neutral) then forward (once) late in the j.D's animation and you should start to get it.

Oh. I feel really dumb now. I thought it was just like a normal air dash. Thanks guys.

And yeah practicing it on the ground sounds a lot better, then when I can do it I'll put it all together. Thanks guys :)

Been practicing this all day. When the J.Dust connects, I do the 96 motion. (Ain't easy on a DS4, I'll say that much) It find it helps to let the J.Dust animation stay out a split second longer than normal before following up with 96.

Edit: Already explained in waaaay better terms than I could!

The amount of people who idle in lobbies is staggering. I'm sure some of 'em are waiting for a ranked match, but to see 40 avatars slumped over "away" is a little irritating. This lobby system is such a downgrade from P4AU/BBCP.

The amount of people who idle in lobbies is staggering. I'm sure some of 'em are waiting for a ranked match, but to see 40 avatars slumped over "away" is a little irritating. This lobby system is such a downgrade from P4AU/BBCP.
What's different, didn't play the other two with the lobby system.

Been practicing this all day. When the J.Dust connects, I do the 96 motion. (Ain't easy on a DS4, I'll say that much) It find it helps to let the J.Dust animation stay out a split second longer than normal before following up with 96.

Edit: Already explained in waaaay better terms than I could!

Yeah, I've been landing it a lot more than I was before. Still not gonna stop practicing till I can reliably use it.

I agree. Feel like they should be kept separate.

FluxWaveZ

Player, ranked and general 1v1 lobbies were all separate. In this even if you want to do a general search for ranked or player matches you have to go to the giant lobby and do it from there.

Not to mention that 1v1 lobbies were actual arcade lobbies in those games, instead of hubs like in Xrd, which are basically glorified player match rooms.

Oh, I kind of like seeing others online. I don't feel so lonely. :/

You could also see that in P4AU and BBCP (with better looking, 3D avatars too), but not everything was concentrated to this one online area. It makes things unnecessarily convoluted.

Heck, in P4AU, sometimes people would just hang out in arcade lobbies to chat instead of play. But it worked there more because when you saw an arcade cabinet, all you had to do is just sit at it and wait for another player to do the same (or sit at one where someone already is) to play a game. Really efficient, and worked exactly as one would expect it to. All they needed was to apply being able to watch other players' games and maybe the option to line up at those cabinets, instead of what they did with Xrd.

Oh, I kind of like seeing others online. I don't feel so lonely. :/

There was that in the other games as well. There was a little subsection of people who would RP their characters in the middle of the 1v1 lobbies, which was amusing sometimes. But it was a lot easier to find people to play in a room of 30 players looking for matches. Now it feels like people waiting around for a player match to open so they can then wait some more.

Edit: Well, Flux said it in a more concise way, but yeah.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm having hella trouble pulling off Ramlethal's HCB,F+HS super with consistency online on PS4 DS4. Like it works maybe 30% of the time for me and the problem is that when it doesn't work it really fucks you over because instead it does a F+HS losing one of her swords and leaving you open to get the crap beat out of you. Never had a problem with HCB,F motions before in other Arc games or fighting games, but struggling here and it sucks. When I play Ram online I'm just pretending she doesn't have supers and using meter instead for roman cancel combos.

PS4 Saturn pads can't come soon enough.

Fighting game noob here wondering g if they should pickup this game. I want a good fighting game to finally get into and sink some time in to really master to a degree. Is this a good entry point or is is to much for beginners?

Bebpo

Banned
Fighting game noob here wondering g if they should pickup this game. I want a good fighting game to finally get into and sink some time in to really master to a degree. Is this a good entry point or is is to much for beginners?

Sure. It's a good entry point for the series, but it's also the most complicated and strict timing fighting game there is imo. (and nobody better call out Akira's knee 1f, because outside of one or five moves in 1,000, VF is really beginner friendly execution-wise) After playing a bunch of Xrd, went back this weekend since I was in a fighting game mood and played some other fighters by Arc and Capcom and Namco and all other fighting games seem so simple and tactics based compared to Xrd (which is still tactics-based, but execution is challenging & pretty damn important). Only Blazblue is close and I can't tell which is more complex since the last BB I played was the original. Controls on PS4 Xrd seem a lot more strict than the original BB on PS3 though from testing.

FluxWaveZ

Depends on what you're looking for. P4AU is a more accommodating game for beginners, and Xrd is definitely harder to get a grasp on than a lot of other fighting games at a more advanced level. If you put the time in to get adjusted to all of the mechanics via the game's elaborate tutorial and its Mission mode, you'll get used to it eventually.

I don't wanna say no, but there's a lot to learn about this game if you don't know fighting games. The amount of mechanics in this game makes something like ultimax a lot more friendly to beginners. If you do wanna get into this game, I'd recommend some simple characters to play like Sol.

Luckily, the tutorial mode in this game is actually pretty good. I definitely recommend going to that right away if you do pick up this game.

Top Bottom