• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Papstr

Neo Member
This shit isnt an artbook IT'S A GOD DAMN CODEX

*just got mine, IT'S GLORIOUS* A small book BUT A GLORIOUS BOOK

Good to know. When I saw pictures of people getting the LE box and saw it was small, I was worried the book would practically be an afterthought. Looking forward to digging through it.

Sol mirrors seem dumb, I love it.

Sorry for being a scrub, the netcode wasn't helping any.

The room is still open in A1 sector 5 if anyone wants to jump in. I'll probably stick to spectating for now.

Fear not, you are not a scrub. You've been selling yourself a bit short. The connection was definitely pretty bleh, but I could tell you made correct decisions pretty often. Dropping any sort of pick ups or otherwise doing awkward things is a side effect of bad connection.. I kinda derped a little bit myself.

Papstr

Neo Member
I love the fact that you used the blue Sol color. Red vs Blue dragon install the best.

I was pretty bitter that he didn't have a blue color by default and I had to buy the DLC. It's not the same blue I used in +R, but at least I got some kinda bone thrown at me. Blue DI is super cool. I wish Sol had like, a purple or pink now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just a super tiny taste, I don't want to post anymore because this is alone is probably bad enough as it is and they probably wont like me doing it xD

But this is literally a mega small taste of what's in here. Some pages are full of art others are full of text with history and terms. It's a really solid tiny book.

kwFID9q.jpg

This is by far one of the best Limited Edition bonuses I have ever gotten.

Skilletor

Friend of mine got the keychain. It's actually pretty sold. Super heavy for the size. If you're a fan of those kinds of things, probably worth the cost.

Did anybody in this thread get the JP LE and not want the pad that came with it?

Grifter

This shit isnt an artbook IT'S A GOD DAMN CODEX

*just got mine, IT'S GLORIOUS* A small book BUT A GLORIOUS BOOK

Nice, I'm sold! I'd ordered the LE just to give them more money with low expectations after getting SF4, BBCT, P4U2, and KoF13 LEs and having no use for the extras but had been attempting to go 100% digital this gen.

MGrant

Starting to figure out how to use May's hoop dolphins to extend combos and do mixups on the opponent's wakeup. Pretty much any knockdown like 3K or 2D or Counter Hit 2HS etc. leads to an air combo with K or HS dolphin support.

Also, the following combo does STUPID damage if you manage to build full tension:

S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > 6HS (full charge) > S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > 6HS (full charge) > HS Horizontal Dolphin.

Get a wall-splat and it's good game. Nearly impossible to do online, though, as it requires that the RCs be activated the INSTANT that Mr. Dolphin hits so that you are carried forward slightly to get in range for the second 6HS. So I usually try to do a simple Starter Combo > S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > Dust for easy damage.

Mr. Otter is becoming a good friend of mine, too, attacking the opponent on his/her wakeup with P Beach Ball > Super Jump > Ball Bounce > 2HS > whatever.

Riou

GGs man, playing you really loosened up my game I feel like. It's easy to become so concerned about maximizing damage, getting optimal oki, or creating some kind of setup that you forget that the important thing is being able to make use of your character's tools in neutral. It contributed a lot to making my game overall a lot more one dimensional and easy to break down and predict and I often lost sight of the habits and tools my opponent was using as a result. Onemic pretty much destroyed me for it as I was ignoring pretty much everything he was doing to open me up as a result. Having too many things to think about while playing the game just screws you over in the end and I needed a palette cleanser to just make me forget about all that. So thanks for reminding me how to have fun in a fighting game!

Yeah I was just trying to do too many things when I was playing chipp which made my gameplay very one dimensional. The reason I like GG so much is because it's so fun to just play the game how you want to play it. You don't need to be super optimum with your character (It would help with winning though) to have fun and each character is so different that you can be try out different styles of play. I still want to get good at chipp but don't think I will be able to do that with the current netcode.

Played a bunch more this weekend. Need to work on my oki with Chipp. Missing out on a lot of mixups.

Nice change of pace from Chipp. Especially the not dying because I got hit part. That's always nice.

Yeah, he's near impossible to play at anything other than the best conditions. I'm playing Sin as a sub, but am starting to find him super boring. I'm thinking Leo will be my online character. Even then, I hate playing characters that rely on mid/low mixups online because it doesn't feel honest. So much harder to block stuff on reaction and often feel like I'm not earning my wins. :/

Similar problem with Sin, though.

I'm in the same boat as you haha. During my offline sessions with my friends I do decent/well with Chipp. I got his pressure down/combos and when I get a knockdown I am decent at his Faultless Defence Cancel mixups. I tried using Sin online but found him pretty boring. I also thought that he would be similar to High Order Sol since they sorta have the same special mechanic but his gameplan and normals are very different. I am liking Elphelt so I will be trying her out during my online sessions.

Coda

Did anybody in this thread get the JP LE and not want the pad that came with it?

I bought the JP LE, the pad is a piece of shit. D-pad broke off in just a few hours of play and the whole thing felt kinda like the cheapest plastic. Luckily I just figured I'd use the PCB and get my stick modded for PS4. I should've had it today but it looks like it's still in the mail.

Skilletor

I bought the JP LE, the pad is a piece of shit. D-pad broke off in just a few hours of play and the whole thing felt kinda like the cheapest plastic. Luckily I just figured I'd use the PCB and get my stick modded for PS4. I should've had it today but it looks like it's still in the mail.

That's exactly why I want the pad. I have an empty case I want to fill. lol

What are the Guilty Gear streams I need to look out for?

biscuits eddie player, usually have sessions

jiyuana an american ram player in japan, usually streams late because of that

ill edit if i remember more

Jonio-san guy who runs an early morning stream of the arcade version of the game. Often gets notable japanese players to pop up and show everyone how the game's really meant to be played. Occasionally has Japanese commentary.

fader

Jonio-san guy who runs an early morning stream of the arcade version of the game. Often gets notable japanese players to pop up and show everyone how the game's really meant to be played. Occasionally has Japanese commentary.

I just came back to this thread to post that one lol how could I forget, I watch it every night.

antibolo

Banned
Hey Aksys, you (and other publishers) should make digital variants of your LEs that contain a voucher code for the game instead of a retail copy, for those of us who want to get your cool LEs but don't want our games on plastic discs.

You know, like Ubisoft did for the Child of Light physical release, but as an option alongside the "normal" LE.

AlexIIDX

Starting to figure out how to use May's hoop dolphins to extend combos and do mixups on the opponent's wakeup. Pretty much any knockdown like 3K or 2D or Counter Hit 2HS etc. leads to an air combo with K or HS dolphin support.

Also, the following combo does STUPID damage if you manage to build full tension:

S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > 6HS (full charge) > S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > 6HS (full charge) > HS Horizontal Dolphin.

Get a wall-splat and it's good game. Nearly impossible to do online, though, as it requires that the RCs be activated the INSTANT that Mr. Dolphin hits so that you are carried forward slightly to get in range for the second 6HS. So I usually try to do a simple Starter Combo > S Horizontal Dolphin > RC > Dust for easy damage.

Mr. Otter is becoming a good friend of mine, too, attacking the opponent on his/her wakeup with P Beach Ball > Super Jump > Ball Bounce > 2HS > whatever.

I'm a complete noob right now but I wanna main May so thanks for these (not ready for big combos yet but im writing them down)...If you delay the dolphin and air dash to the other side of the opponent can you trap them for a guaranteed hit? Unless they dodge of course.

Rhapsody, help me understand something. I see Ogawa throw drills out all the time, even when Eddie isn't around. Why isn't he afraid of people punishing him when they whiff, and why don't I see maybe people punish the whiff? I feel like these are Dormammu Purifications, so I am scared to throw them out in the neutral.

Edit: Also, another question on the neutral:
I have Eddie out, and I have S held for an emergency antiair. I want to pressure with the HS drill, but if I miss I don't want to let go of HS because it will move Eddie forward into danger. Do I just need to accept the fact that I only get one good drill after summoning Eddie unless it gets blocked and I can go on the offensive?

Is this share play compatible?
Yes.

how's the soundtrack in the le? how many songs are there?

also, there is no way to choose the mirror match colors separately? i wanna use dante sol...

The mission on combo teching in the game actively shows how stupid this mechanic is and why BBCP and P4A did away with it. I'm literally pianoing this input and can't get the tech half the time. Lol.

Prototype

Hey Raph,

Been using notes for oki, and it's been helping a lot.
Lol. I was going a little too crazy with hcl.

Now I just have to work on combos and actually converting hits.

Papstr

Neo Member
The mission on combo teching in the game actively shows how stupid this mechanic is and why BBCP and P4A did away with it. I'm literally pianoing this input and can't get the tech half the time. Lol.

Make sure you're holding a direction when you try to tech. Side techs are available earlier than neutral techs.

Rhapsody

Banned
Rhapsody, help me understand something. I see Ogawa throw drills out all the time, even when Eddie isn't around. Why isn't he afraid of people punishing him when they whiff, and why don't I see maybe people punish the whiff? I feel like these are Dormammu Purifications, so I am scared to throw them out in the neutral.

Edit: Also, another question on the neutral:
I have Eddie out, and I have S held for an emergency antiair. I want to pressure with the HS drill, but if I miss I don't want to let go of HS because it will move Eddie forward into danger. Do I just need to accept the fact that I only get one good drill after summoning Eddie unless it gets blocked and I can go on the offensive?

Yes.
I assume the drills are at least close to them, even if they're whiffing. Honestly I think it's just because he's a good player and is willing to take the risks for the high reward to buy time. It's possible that he accidentally whiffed, but he usually does it close enough to where the opponent can't easily get around it. If you're fullscreen, S Drill isn't that bad to negate them from spamming projectiles too.

For your other part, just press and hold HS during HS Drill, then release S before releasing HS.

And no, you don't need one good drill to go on the offensive. Assuming I'm at full screen, I will alternate between HS drill, S Shadow spaced fairly far behind the drill, then dash in, HS drill, etc. It keeps them somewhat locked in black as you start going in.

Assuming I wasn't full screen, you can just to S or K Shadow after drill and pressure off of that.

Hey Raph,

Been using notes for oki, and it's been helping a lot.
Lol. I was going a little too crazy with hcl.

Now I just have to work on combos and actually converting hits.

Use VCL for oki too. It's really good if you airdash and go for left/right mixups and YRC it. It beats Blitz Shield and it catches most backdashes IIRC.

You can FD cancel the startup of her j.D for some mixups too. Kinda hard to do unless you use your burst though.

Top Bottom