• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

FluxWaveZ

double tapping on my inputs

Hm, maybe I actually have to start doing that. The tutorial recommends it, but it's something I've kind of been avoiding.

So I'm assuming that if I have a JPN copy I can't buy any DLC unless I'm signed in on a JPN PSN account? I bought colors through the US PSN and they don't show up in game and if I try to access the store through the game, the menu is just the PSN style but is blank with no information.

Yeah, it's like that for any game. DLC compatibility is restricted by region.

Coda

Hm, maybe I actually have to start doing that. The tutorial recommends it, but it's something I've kind of been avoiding.

Yeah, it's like that for any game. DLC compatibility is restricted by region.

Yeah, just didn't know if it was any different with an Arc System game because it's so cross region already with language and online.

Is s.P into knockdown really the only good string Zato has at close range? I know he has P, S, HS, Drill at super close range. But HS doesn't connect farther away.

We better get more DLC characters other than just Leo for this....

The developer needs to get with the times already. They stand to make more via DLC then yearly new disc product.

Killer Instinct's model is the best for a fighter. I bought TJ combo, and some KI $ to buy him outfit stuff, and that was that.

I hope SF5 follows that model as well. I like the having a game, it gets updates, and I can keep playing with others, but if I pony up more then I get more from the game. If xrd had "seasons" I'd be quite the happy camper.
Seasons would make me happy, too, since I wouldn't need to buy anything to stay up to date. :p

Edit: Flux, want to play our bracket matches?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game is awesome, but it reminds me how bad I am at fighting games. Some of the combos are so hard to pull off. Maybe a fight stick would be easier than a DS4...

zlatko

Banned
This game is awesome, but it reminds me how bad I am at fighting games. Some of the combos are so hard to pull off. Maybe a fight stick would be easier than a DS4...

If you've never bought an arcade stick---be warned: there is a learning curve with it.

I remember when I first bought my TE2 from MadCatz thinking I was going to be the bomb at SF4 once I had it. WRONG! It was like taking 20 steps backwards. I had worse execution right out of the gate.

I looked up a few online guides/videos of how people held their sticks, placed fingers for buttons, etc. I hit up training forever in SF4...and I still couldn't get the motions I needed to come out like I wanted.

I was about to just go back to pad, then I saw an octogate for the stick was like $5.00 online and was reading some people had a WAY easier time using that then stock square gate. Figured why not try it and rule everything out, and sure enough that was my ticket to way better execution.

Not long after I was doing whatever combos I needed consistently(minus 1 frame link stuff...fudge that), and all was right in the world.

---------

TL;DR- A stick won't make you better at fighters unless you are ready to commit serious times to it and the game of choice.

rookiejet

I wonder if spectating exacts a toll on the players' connection. I want to watch some japanese Sin players but don't want to blow up their games.

(Also Quest bars and lemonade level up your comboing abilities. Truthfact.)

Marz

Every once in a blue moon when I actually need to get on PSN the shits always down wtf man. Tryna get my Leo on.

Azure J

Goddamn, I just had the scrubbiest "day one" match with my brother just now. We both have no combos and no real previous experience playing ArcSys fighters. Thankfully, IK hype is real even at low levels. :lol

FluxWaveZ

Still available?

Yeah, getting online now since it seems you are as well. I'll have to re-add you, though, since I think I had deleted a bunch of people off my FL since I added you on the Wii U.

Oh, and an hour into Mission 14 and I still haven't cleared it. Maybe I need to actually plug my headphones in and listen; maybe sound cues are what I'm missing.

Took me about 4 trys to pass. I find missions like 19 a lot harder.

Hm, I'll chalk it up to dividing my attention, then. But harder missions? That's something to look forward to, heh.

Onemic

Yeah, getting online now since it seems you are as well. I'll have to re-add you, though, since I think I had deleted a bunch of people off my FL since I added you on the Wii U.

Oh, and an hour into Mission 14 and I still haven't cleared it. Maybe I need to actually plug my headphones in and listen; maybe sound cues are what I'm missing.

Hm, I'll chalk it up to dividing my attention, then. But harder missions? That's something to look forward to, heh.

Ya, a lot of missions after the reversal mission make you input a a command immediately after waking up.(i.e. after being knocked down immediately jump and air grab the opponent) Unlike the reversal mission, you dont have a 2f buffer to help you.

I found with mission 14 that inputting the reversal before you wakeup and in a clean motion with a double tap helped get it out very consistently.

Papstr

Neo Member
Man this new patch is a godsend. Played a bunch of matches today and was getting 1-2f delay consistently. Think the worst I had was about 5F.

Joule

Also from Canada using the US PS3 version, and I didn't experience this problem. When I bought the pack I received each of the individual colour packs in my Download List. Have you checked your transaction history for the Ky set?

I'd check on my PS4 as well, but PSN is down again, and the game keeps freezing when I try to start up, probably because it knows there's a patch, but can't download it.

EDIT: Followed the recommendations below and PS4 Ky is fine too.

Mmm. I'll have to take a look then when PSN is back up.

Played around a bit more today, sat through story mode, best anime I've seen in awhile thats for sure haha. Got Sin unlocked and did a few missions. Weird mode since it starts a lot of them for you but gives no exact indication of when you are in control which is lame. Made it to the hit confirm thing before stopping since I did not really get what they were asking me to do.

Still have not found that character yet, but digging I-No but having a hard time doing dash into slash heavy slash consistently from a short distance. Bedman is fun as well, really like him more than I thought.

Mesoian

Boo, whatever let me play online this afternoon via PSN isn't working now. Such a bummer.

Oh well, I guess I'll do Sin trials.

My copy refuses to boot up :( Error code CE-34878-0. Have followed the recommended delete application and reinstall yet alwyas fails to load after Sol Art. Patch is nearly done downloading maybe thats why?

Sayad

Ya, a lot of missions after the reversal mission make you input a a command immediately after waking up.(i.e. after being knocked down immediately jump and air grab the opponent) Unlike the reversal mission, you dont have a 2f buffer to help you.

I found with mission 14 that inputting the reversal before you wakeup and in a clean motion with a double tap helped get it out very consistently.
Can't you just hold up?!

Rhapsody

Banned
I haven't tried mission mode yet. I wonder if new players are finding mission mode more helpful or discouraging to the overall game.

Sayad

hold up and then immediately do an airgrab. If your airgrab is off by just a frame it wont come out.
Don't think it's a one frame window, I have an S in that mission when I still can't get an S in 14 and can't even complete mission 24! Or maybe it's the visual cue, you can easily know when to grab by checking out Sol's jump height!

Onemic

Don't think it's a one frame window, I have an S in that mission when I still can't get an S in 14 and can't even complete mission 24! Or maybe it's the visual cue, you can easily know when to grab by checking out Sol's jump height!

I guess it's just really hard for me -_-

Thanks. Just passed it on my second try with an A; that isn't even close to being a 1f window. I'd be extremely surprised if someone couldn't do that trial consistently, but could do mission 14 without problem.

me

Korten

Banned
Really debating getting this game, though I never played Guilty Gear before (I have played Blazblue when it was on PS+) but I'm intrigued by it.

Building up your chops with blocks, roman cancels, basic movement control, basic attacks and specials will improve your game far more than learning combos will, especially if you're self-professed "bad at fighting games". Leave combos to the youtube videos and just get gud w the basics.

Fight stick will be harder at first, actually, but it is a more accurate piece of equipment when it comes to registering your inputs.

I like Slayer's design for the most part. He's not a very shenanigans character, and has a hard time with a lot of the cast...but if you get that precious knock down or a dust up into the air, you're right back in there.

I'm just ass with him compared to Venom...which I wish wasn't the case since Slayer is such a cool designed character. :p

I miss big bang upper so much. I wish there was an equivalent to force breaks in this game. Or if they put them back in.

Oh shit even smaller... Hm... I guess my only last wonder is the amount of characters. 15 seems small- is there at least a huge difference between them?

Yes quite a difference. No one character plays exactly the same and there's more variety in this smaller roster than most other games with 40+. It's one of the reasons I enjoy guilty gear over games like SF4.

Korten

Banned
Well I took the plunge and bought it digitally... But jesus PSN downloading speed is slower than usual. Says it will take 9 hours. When it should take not even 1.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Building up your chops with blocks, roman cancels, basic movement control, basic attacks and specials will improve your game far more than learning combos will, especially if you're self-professed "bad at fighting games". Leave combos to the youtube videos and just get gud w the basics.

Fight stick will be harder at first, actually, but it is a more accurate piece of equipment when it comes to registering your inputs.
Yeah, I tried a fight stick once, at a friend's house. I did notice my skill level immediately plummeted, haha. I can see them being super useful once things start getting taken to the highest levels of play, though.

Also, Leo is a great character. I was expecting a big, slow, hard hitting Potemkin-like character, but he's actually very balanced. Plus, his stage is worth it alone.

To Be Continued in story mode... it's like they knew they'd be making 3+ more iterations of this game! /sarcasm

Korten

Banned
Anyone able to help me with this?

m5kb.png

Like more so tips if anything. Like when a combo requires one (down, down-right, right) I can get it, but it's hard for me to do it twice in the time frame to actually pull off the move.

Any tips? I'm mainly using the analog stick...

Top Bottom