• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

How come you didn't buy the Hori RAP V4 when that was still in stock?

I saw it with $1 (lol) off on amazon while browsing on black friday. I was waiting it to go cheaper or thinking to get the madcatz TE2. I think I might be pre-ordering the TE2 at this rate, since I never owned a Hori and I am comfortable with the Sanwa buttons on a MadCatz. It's $50 more but I do like the blue coloring on the USF4 one.

Naite

Having finished the story, it was alright. They liked to hammer the philosophical point of one's subjective "world" a bit too heavy-handedly, and a lot of stuff with Ramlethal was pretty damn weird (didn't help that her voice acting wasn't the best, though the robotic tempo was obviously purposeful).

And it's still weird to me that they didn't include any fighting via gameplay whatsoever. There are several moments I can think of where they could have easily inserted a fight between two lines of dialogue and it wouldn't have felt out of place. It's like they deliberately avoided to do so, even if it would have worked in certain moments.

I kinda like that there's no gameplay in story mode because one of the things I hate about fighting game stories is when people fight for the stupidest of reasons or to create a bunch of filler. I'd also want to get the story out of the way so I can get back to fighting in the other modes. But there definitely was a lot of stuff left to be desired from the action that was there in the cutscenes (
Wow the end of chapter 10 was disappointing
).

Hubb

How come you didn't buy the Hori RAP V4 when that was still in stock?

I'm sorely regretting not jumping on it. Might have to settle for the PS3 version if something doesn't present itself. The Madcatz one says the preorders ship early December, but can't really find any other information on it. Not to mention it is going to be $200.

I'm sorely regretting not jumping on it. Might have to settle for the PS3 version if something doesn't present itself. The Madcatz one says the preorders ship early December, but can't really find any other information on it. Not to mention it is going to be $200.
I hear the GG PS4 stick is getting pushed back to mid December. Personally, I am choosing to wait because I have owned a Hori and a Madcatz stick, and I think the latter has better build quality. Plus the HRAP4 switched away from Sanwa buttons, which I am a big fan of.

Pompadour

Markman said that the USF4 PS4 sticks should ship tomorrow for pre-orderers. The other variants ship later in the month.

Hubb

I hear the GG PS4 stick is getting pushed back to mid December. Personally, I am choosing to wait because I have owned a Hori and a Madcatz stick, and I think the latter has better build quality. Plus the HRAP4 switched away from Sanwa buttons, which I am a big fan of.

GG PS4 stick is only confirmed for Japan right now, correct? So if I want it I'd have to import. I might just go with the Madcatz one then. It'll last me the generation (or it should), could be a lot worse I guess.

Markman said that the USF4 PS4 sticks should ship tomorrow for pre-orderers. The other variants ship later in the month.

Other variants? Might have to wait those out. The faceplate on the USF4 one doesn't really do anything for me. Just took a quick peek at their store. Yeah I might go with one of the other sticks if they are planning to ship those some time this month (preferably before the Holidays).

Korezo

Man I hope not because I'm trying to cancel my order and don't know how since I checked out as a guest... Sent them a ticket but no reply. I just want the Xrd stick since they all release same month.

Laconic

Banned
The netcode is depressingly bad.

I have been hearing this all over the place.

I am glad I did not order the Japanese version.

Lol... PSN is so very Plus. Plus more money, Plus more lag, Plus more updates. For greater profits, and eventual stability.

FluxWaveZ

Man, one-button throws are nuts.

The netcode is depressingly bad.

What are the typical frame delays you're getting?

Edit: Netcode's been fine for me, though I just came out of a set with someone in an occupied lobby which had intermittent lag spikes; it was the first time I dealt with that in ~40 matches. Speaking of lobbies, I don't like them. This game has kind of a player room/arcade lobby hybrid going on, and I prefer P4AU/BBCP's straightforward method of having an arcade lobby you can run around in and play against others, or having player rooms for a different kind of pace.

FluxWaveZ

2-3 frame delay doesn't feel like 2-3 frames lol

Guess I've been lucky so far. The times it's felt inconsistent is when there was a hitch, and then it would instantly jump to 15-18f, even though it was just fine, proceeding to gradually return to the 3-5 I've been experiencing.

2-3 frame delay doesn't feel like 2-3 frames lol

Just tried to do a ranked match against some one that was supposed to have a 4 bar connection with. During loading it showed a 2 frame delay but once the character intro started it jumped to 8 frames lol.

The information the UI is spitting out is just a bit odd or inconsistent. Need to play against some people that you know you have a decent/ok connection with to really find out what its like is my guess.

Bob White

The latency bars are sf4 levels of inaccurate. I'm getting between 4-7 frames of delay no matter what with a wired connection. I've played in West Coast and East Coast lobbies and it's all the same. The game just doesn't feel good online. It's...actually just fucking terrible. People on the dustloop forums are reporting the same thing.

Man...wtf. I don't want to say this but, if you're going to be playing online only, buyer beware. At least until a week or two after the US release. Maybe things will get better?

And here I thought after news of how good Killer Instinct and Smash were running, that netcode issues would be mostly dead this gen. Could the ps3/ps4 cross play be an issue? Is psn still just that fucking shitty?

quick edit : "During loading it showed a 2 frame delay but once the character intro started it jumped to 8 frames lol." Yeah, same thing keeps happening to me

Ferrio

Banned
Well hopefully there will be a patch that improves things. They're already working on the voices issue network issue.

Remember play with japanese voices only.

edit: Bob read my PM

Astarte

I've been playing against people with ~4 bar connections and it always jumped from 2 frames during loading to 7-8 input lag frames when the actual match started. Everything feels like shit.

Rhapsody

Banned
Guess I've been lucky so far. The times it's felt inconsistent is when there was a hitch, and then it would instantly jump to 15-18f, even though it was just fine, proceeding to gradually return to the 3-5 I've been experiencing.

Oh, it's just I feel like the numbers aren't what I'm expected sometimes. 2 frames just seems more than what I'm getting.

And this is a friend that lives down the block.

Edit: I just fought a Sol that yolo'd everything lol

Onemic

The latency bars are sf4 levels of inaccurate. I'm getting between 4-7 frames of delay no matter what with a wired connection. I've played in West Coast and East Coast lobbies and it's all the same. The game just doesn't feel good online. It's...actually just fucking terrible. People on the dustloop forums are reporting the same thing.

Man...wtf. I don't want to say this but, if you're going to be playing online only, buyer beware. At least until a week or two after the US release. Maybe things will get better?

And here I thought after news of how good Killer Instinct and Smash were running, that netcode issues would be mostly dead this gen. Could the ps3/ps4 cross play be an issue? Is psn still just that fucking shitty?

quick edit : "During loading it showed a 2 frame delay but once the character intro started it jumped to 8 frames lol." Yeah, same thing keeps happening to me

PSN has nothing to do with a game having good netcode or not. Its really only Capcom games that suffer on PSN due to their incompetence more than anything else. ASW games have generally had really good netcode

Bob White

So, Ferrio, what do you think of the few games we just played? I have to say, that little session gave me hope. The 3-4 frames wasn't as bad as the "3-4 frames" that I've been playing. I actually felt like I had control. So yeah, playing people on your same coast helps a ton.

Also, Ferrio, as you can tell, I wasn't being cute with my whole "gee, fellas, I suck at this game" but was really good or something. I'm fucking horrible lol. I'm down to play more but, now that I see there's hope for online, I gotta get some practice in.

Ferrio

Banned
I thought it felt good, and ya I was sucking big time too. Just flailing around at this point, not at all comfortable with control of the game or even the stick let alone landing a competant combo.

You should of kept playing, at this point we're two scrubs so might as well get comfortable fighting someone.

Ferrio

Banned
Combo? What's a combo? If you mean spamming pool balls over and over while mashing buttons, then yeah, I got combos.

Either way we should play tomorrow. I would like to be comfortable playing people (not necessarily well) before US release hits. Haven't played a fighting game period in quite awhile.

SSReborn

So when I bought this from the honk kong store I seen something about Sin dlc was it just an early unlock for the character?

Grifter

Found the option to prioritize speed over graphics and now every time I RC, I instinctively think the PS3 itself is slowing down and dropping inputs.

Man, having rotated a few of these characters, they seems really fun here and I don’t know where to start. Combined the most fun aspects of #R and AC in some cases.

Grifter

If anyone wants to play/test netcode (east coast US), I'll be online and hopping around characters all weekend.

Doesn't RCs actually drop inputs, even for the character who's not RCing?
Not sure how they work now, but RCs do have start-up here, it seems, so that may lead to seeming input drops. GGXX RCs were effectively 0 frame start to me so I always RC and input dashing too early in Xrd.

Ferrio

Banned
If anyone wants to play/test netcode (east coast US), I'll be online and hopping around characters all weekend.

Not sure how they work now, but RCs do have start-up here, it seems, so that may lead to seeming input drops. GGXX RCs were effectively 0 frame start to me so I always RC and input dashing too early in Xrd.

Ya there's like a big pause now when you RC it's weird.

FluxWaveZ

Impressions from a newbie:

- I said it before, but one-button throws are crazy. I'll get used to it eventually but, right now, I cannot wrap my head around not being able to tech a throw and having to input a direction at the same time as HS to perform a throw. Throws just seem so inaccessible for me right now, meanwhile I was going against someone who would pull one off 100% of the time if I ever got too close to him with a grounded approach.

- Coming from P4A, Bursts feel... weak? I had noticed it in arcade footage I had seen before, but they feel different than in BB or P4A. In those games, a Burst is like a straight up explosion that feels like it truly gives you a significant amount of breathing room but, here—and it might just be that I'm using/interpreting it wrong—they feel so quick and as though they reset things to neutral for a shorter period of time? Also as though they're easier to bait/block.

- RCs are a weird thing, here. I'll also most likely get used to this, but the time/pace changing aspect of them is weird.

It's a fun game. Though, my head actually started hurting after (losing) several matches yesterday; possibly a result of tiredness or my choice of character. Either or. I'm still pretty much in the button mashing phase.

- Coming from P4A, Bursts feel... weak? I had noticed it in arcade footage I had seen before, but they feel different than in BB or P4A. In those games, a Burst is like a straight up explosion that feels like it truly gives you a significant amount of breathing room but, here—and it might just be that I'm using/interpreting it wrong—they feel so quick and as though they reset things to neutral for a shorter period of time? Also as though they're easier to bait/block.

You don't even know. They are so easy to snuff.

But don't worry, you'll be cured of bad bursting habits when someone comes along to throw all of your bursts.

Grifter

- I said it before, but one-button throws are crazy. I'll get used to it eventually but, right now, I cannot wrap my head around not being able to tech a throw and having to input a direction at the same time as HS to perform a throw. Throws just seem so inaccessible for me right now, meanwhile I was going against someone who would pull one off 100% of the time if I ever got too close to him with a grounded approach.

What, you never played SF2? =) Practice dash brake > throw a bit, that's how I'd throw unless it's a reset situation.

Coming from other Arc games. Bursts certainly seem to be shorter ranged and have more recovery than ever for the blue one. You've always been able to throw a burst in GG, that's such hard call-out that you can't help but feel yourself after.

so i'm going to pick elphelt as a main, but milia rage and chipp look cool, but i should probably pick sol and ky for fundamentals so i can understand anime games.

FluxWaveZ

You don't even know. They are so easy to snuff.

But don't worry, you'll be cured of bad bursting habits when someone comes along to throw all of your bursts.

Ha, well I'm glad that's an actual thing and it wasn't a false impression.

What, you never played SF2? =) Practice dash brake > throw a bit, that's how I'd throw unless it's a reset situation.

I've never really played SF2, actually. Maybe once or twice at an arcade, but that's about it. Definitely something I'll have to hit training mode to adjust to. My compulsion to jump when cornered is at an all time high, knowing I can't tech a throw.

Naite

Netcode for me seems mostly bearable. After two really laggy matches I played a bunch of player matches from Alberta to Cali and those jumped anywhere from 2F to 8F of lag which is slightly worse than usual for me.

Also damn I'm more free to Faust than ever. Completely lost a bunch of matches to Floe's Faust without a single round. I miss my FB Dandy Step.

Grifter

Is Axl's new DP move legit as anti-air?

He's looking really fun between that, the full screen Yamazaki swipes, combos off counters, the return of bomber loops, and having a train stage ala Terry Bogard.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sorry if it was already asked in the thread, but I didn't see anything.

How do you unlock Sin in-game without getting the DLC?

Top Bottom