• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Qvoth

the issue he had with the game was that nobody wants to fight him supposedly lol
he destroyed ogawa in a 1st to 10, he's that good
he's playing on ps3 now too on those vids i linked

4r5

Thanks for all the feedback!

I agree about the back dashes. But my target goal tonight was to use back dashes more often. Actually, the first thing I said to myself after logging off was "I should have just IAD'd back". But until today I never back dashed, so I wanted to use it a lot so it becomes a part of my game.

I normally poke with 2S, but if Potemkin armies through I am screwed, aren't I? His armor is why I spent most of my time running away. I don't do that in any other matchup.

Now, you are totally right that I just dont bring Eddie out unless a drill hits. I know I can even 2P, 2S, 236HS, but I really don't know what to do afterward. If Eddie it out in the neutral, 100% of the time he dies because I control him poorly, or I lose him because Zato gets hit because I am so focused on Eddie.

A guide I read said that I should bring Eddie out, hold P and S, and then play the neutral with Eddie's best anti-ground and anti-air available. But then what? I don't know what this looks like when done properly.

Also, I was back dashing because I tend to go in too much with Zato, and I get creamed. I was working on more of a zoning style with him, which seems more like how Ogawa runs his neutral. Speaking of which, I am going to go watch more of his play.

2S chains to 5H or 2H. Potemkin's HammerFall is only one hit of armor. If you suspect a YRC P.Buster gimmick, you can instead cancel to Drunkard Shade. It's throw invul from frame 1. CounterHit is a huge wall bounce. There's also Break the Law, or just go straight in to SharkHead super.

I've only ever dabbled in Zato, enough to get Eddie out. Not enough to control him. First step is to get him out. When he's out, you can see how players respond, then you can go back in to the lab and figure out a counter. General rule of thumb is to work in tandem with the shadow. You atleast need to be around to make killing Eddie cost them something in life total.

Are you reading an AC or AC+R guide? Eddie P.attack no longer has invul on it.

2S chains to 5H or 2H. Potemkin's HammerFall is only one hit of armor. If you suspect a YRC P.Buster gimmick, you can instead cancel to Drunkard Shade. It's throw invul from frame 1. CounterHit is a huge wall bounce. There's also Break the Law, or just go straight in to SharkHead super.

I've only ever dabbled in Zato, enough to get Eddie out. Not enough to control him. First step is to get him out. When he's out, you can see how players respond, then you can go back in to the lab and figure out a counter. General rule of thumb is to work in tandem with the shadow. You atleast need to be around to make killing Eddie cost them something in life total.

Are you reading an AC or AC+R guide? Eddie P.attack no longer has invul on it.
AC guide.

I didn't know Drunkard Shade was throw immune. Good to know.

2S chains to 5HS, but it doesn't combo unless it starts point blank. 2S into 2HS usually whiffs, but I can see it working on Potemkin since he is so big. I was surprised by what 2HS was hitting in those matches.

Uraizen

Banned
I'll be back home in socal tomorrow. I'm going to add you when I have time, Karst.

Does the netcode feel better than pre-pre-patch though?

I was pretty vocal about how much it sucked before. I'll tell you as soon as I find someone I played pre-patch to play with me again.

*thumbs up* Better than both previous attempts. The first attempt being release, bleh. This is closer to what I realistically expected for the game. Definitely playable under the right conditions now.

4r5

AC guide.

I didn't know Drunkard Shade was throw immune. Good to know.

2S chains to 5HS, but it doesn't combo unless it starts point blank. 2S into 2HS usually whiffs, but I can see it working on Potemkin since he is so big. I was surprised by what 2HS was hitting in those matches.

Well, you're just trying to beat out the armor on Pote's HammerFall, so the 2S-H doesn't need to combo. That's the go to counter that I would use, also the one I see our local Zato use.

Be careful with the AC Eddie guide. In AC, they gave Little Eddie all sorts of invul on all his attacks. AC Little Eddie P.attack was crazy good because it had invul through startup and active frames. Very hard to trade with it. It was pretty much free frame advantage.

I think summoning with S is still good. I mean, what's not good about a huge as wall attack?

Ogawa matches just uploaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-UoHeOR5E

Jesus christ, fuck Elphelt v. Pot

The second part of her grenade isn't cancelled by projectile reflects because ??? and stay out on the field regardless of whether or not she's hit by anything.

Her heavy slash outranges all of Pot's normals on top of having multiple hits (because fuck your hammerfall), being air unblockable, being active for a hell of a lot longer (because fuck your jumps), and despite being pistol shots aren't actually considered projectiles (because fuck your projectile reflect). And that's not mentioning the obscene damage off of a fully volley off of the shots into a guaranteed knockdown.

Edit : Okay 6HS beats Elphs HS whatever.

And sniper is a viable tool in the matchup because pot's simultaneously slow and not very manueverable.

At least with Ramlethal I have to get hit once before her oki singlehandedly destroys me, in the Elphelt matchup Pot can sit on his thumbs and do fuck all in neutral because Elph's got an answer to everything he could possibly throw out. And that's not even touching the shit she can pull with her unblockables. GG.

Don't mind me. GGs dude
100px-3,38,0,34-PJSalt.jpg

GGs to Discoshark and the Elphelt player I played with
My network went down and I DCed

Im so free in the corner with I-No.

And GGs to you and everyone else in the GAF lobby, hell of a grind session. Think I'm probably going to seriously pick up May in the next few days.

AllenShrz

FUCK THIS GAME

This was my fist and last GG, Im giving up on it.

The timing is very weird and strict.

I put today 6 hrs on challenge mode with several characters and I always got stuck with the 20 - 22 trails. Double air dashes and 2 or 3 very timing strict hits on the air one or 2 standing plus cancels and for the sake of me I cant get the timings!!!!

Lets try some online... surprise! everyone is double dashing in mid air and doing combos and I cant barely even touch them.

I couldn't even do in the tutorial the CLASH part. I though I was doing it at the same time against the CPU, even got double counter (me and the cpu) and not even once I did it.

I'm playing on the PS4 and using the hori v4 stick (no problems what so ever in TT2 or SF) and occasionally go the the arcades here in Tokyo too and I'm not bad...... so I don't really fucking know what the hell is going in with this game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
For the clash tutorial you want to be out of range of both attacks so only the weapons are touching.

A clash happens when two hitboxes clash at the same time.

Who have you been trying to learn?

FUCK THIS GAME

I put today 6 hrs on challenge mode with several characters and I always got stuck with the 20 - 22 trails. Double air dashes and 2 or 3 very timing strict hits on the air one or 2 standing plus cancels and for the sake of me I cant get the timings!!!!

Lets try some online... surprise! everyone is double dashing in mid air and doing combos and I cant barely even touch them.

I couldn't even do in the tutorial the CLASH part. I though I was doing it at the same time against the CPU, even got double counter (me and the cpu) and not even once I did it.

I'm playing on the PS4 and using the hori v4 stick (no problems what so ever in TT2 or SF) and occasionally go the the arcades here in Tokyo too and I'm not bad...... so I don't really fucking know what the hell is going in with this game.

I'm by no means an expert but it's not like you have to use the super crazy execution based combos to be successful with your character. Just find something quick and dirty that does a decent amount of damage and go ham, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who plays TT2 or SF but how successful you do in the neutral game should be your primary concern before maxing out your damage output. What specific character/combo are you having issues with?

4r5

Jesus christ, fuck Elphelt v. Pot

GG.

If it makes you feels any better, you can flick the grenade toss, explosion, sniper shot, and sniper unblockable.

And for H pistol shot. He can atleast duck it and sweep it. Otherwise HammerFall through the last hit, for punish. FD it in the air.

Grenade def strong though. It's like back when Dizzy's fish didn't go away, even when you hit her.

Feels like the err'ed on the side of strong, for all the DLC chars. If they nerfed El, I'd like for them to make Grenade Toss be a very weak stagger on hit. Like Zappa's spit puddle.

AllenShrz

I don't know whats considered a crazy combo is in the game yet but in the CHALLENGE mode I always get stuck with the same type of combo, air dashing plus a sting or 4 or 5 hits, or if it involves canceling around 20 - 22 (I don't think that's even the low lvl ones)

Ive tired Sol,Millia, Ky and even bought Elephet to see how different she was.

I only played online 15 matches and not even won a single round. The rest of the time I have spend it on practice, challenge or arcade mode 6 hrs alone today.

AllenShrz

Have you tried to watch the CPU do the challenges?

I have, but the game only shows you the combo, in other games they will show you the input timing along the combo. And that's the key because for the live of me I cant figure it out the timings. Too late? Too early? or just "fuck you, regards GG".

sephi22

If anyone's up and wants to get a few matches before I sleep, I created a room.
Name: neogafscrubs
pass: gaf

I'll wait for 10 minutes for someone to enter, before closing it and sleeping

Spuck-uk

Banned
FUCK THIS GAME

Have you tried the 'git gud, scrub' method?

Papstr

Neo Member
I have, but the game only shows you the combo, in other games they will show you the input timing along the combo. And that's the key because for the live of me I cant figure it out the timings. Too late? Too early? or just "fuck you, regards GG".
Eh? It shows the inputs on the side of the screen during demonstration.

vG28lWo.png

Expedited parcel my ass. This thread will reach 100 pages and I still won't have my game. The hype is dead. :(

lol hey, I saw you on RFD

What did you think about this?
"Hi Fellas, just my 2 cents here. I pre-ordered from Bestbuy , nothing yet too. Sometime last week before Christmas I was at EB and spoke with the manager about the dreadful release of Guilty Gear Xrd, He explained the publisher refused to add French instructions on the cover and manual as requested for all games in Canada, hence why very limited copies can be found in Canada. "

Kysen

This happened to me, what the tutorial doesn't tell you is that the spacing and not just the timing matters. No matter how well timed your attack is if you are not standing at the right distance it will never clash. You need to land the tip of the attack in its active frames for both hits.

Onemic

"Hi Fellas, just my 2 cents here. I pre-ordered from Bestbuy , nothing yet too. Sometime last week before Christmas I was at EB and spoke with the manager about the dreadful release of Guilty Gear Xrd, He explained the publisher refused to add French instructions on the cover and manual as requested for all games in Canada, hence why very limited copies can be found in Canada. "

....well this explains a lot. I knew all those employees I talked to couldnt have all been bullshitting me.

The time that it'll take to be delivered makes sense though considering the holidays. The post office is closed on the 25/26 as well as the 1st.

....well this explains a lot. I knew all those employees I talked couldnt have all been bullshitting me.

It's weird though, my PS3 regular edition arrived last week from Best Buy and it didn't have any french manuals or anything.
I don't really get these things :/

GG has a reputation for being the hardest FG series out there. Xrd is easier than some of its predecessors, but it is still probably the hardest modern FG. You have to go in with that knowledge. I am super suck with Zato, but many people call him the hardest character to play in the hardest FG ever. When I go 10 - 40, I accept that as a step toward mastery. You should do the same.

Or go play Street Fighter. :p

Hoping to get in some games tonight if anyone hosts/creates a room.

Haven't played since last Tuesday/Wednesday so I'm probably going to get destroyed anyway lol. I really need that Xrd stick ASAP.

Spuck-uk

Banned
GG has a reputation for being the hardest FG series out there. Xrd is easier than some of its predecessors, but it is still probably the hardest modern FG. You have to go in with that knowledge. I am super suck with Zato, but many people call him the hardest character to play in the hardest FG ever. When I go 10 - 40, I accept that as a step toward mastery. You should do the same.

Or go play Street Fighter. :p

The amount of options you have at any one time in this game, the number of systems, and learning to confirm into damage off any single stray hit..yeah, it's not for the faint of hearted.

On the other hand, I'm trash, and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun.

FluxWaveZ

Tekken players will probably refute that.

In the realm of 2D fighters, I think it'd be hard to refute.

So then the previous talk about Xrd's lack of presence in Canada wasn't wrong, after all.

Tekken players will probably refute that.
Don't most Tekken players agree that VF is harder?

The hardest thing about Tekken is trying to enjoy such a shitty game series.

The amount of options you have at any one time in this game, the number of systems, and learning to confirm into damage off any single stray hit..yeah, it's not for the faint of hearted.

On the other hand, I'm trash, and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun.
That's the spirit!

Anyone want to play?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll still say BB is harder than GG to learn :p Game is filled with way more bullshit to learn how to fight against and the game pretty much throws you off a cliff with what they expect you to do right away to get any form of damage.

Onemic

I'll still say BB is harder than GG to learn :p Game is filled with way more bullshit to learn how to fight against and the game pretty much throws you off a cliff with what they expect you to do right away to get any form of damage.

yup, BB is 10x harder than GG from what I've played. Hyperbole, but still :p

I like BB more, but I did find it a lot harder to be competent at. The amount of things to keep track of especially against certain matchups in BB is crazy.

the one thing in GG that is harder for me is the button setup. 5 buttons is definitely harder than 4, and P-K-S-HS-D do not flow as well as A-B-C-D

However, getting a counter hit 5C as noel in BB is the best feeling in a fighting game

Azure J

I generally like her design, but I wish Ramlethal didn't look like a flasher when opening her cloak.

lol

On a related note, do you know how long it took me to realize what her theme is?
She's a cat. I realized it when I was holding her crouch animation and she did the cat hiss + hairs on end stance midway through it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol

On a related note, do you know how long it took me to realize what her theme is?
She's a cat. I realized it when I was holding her crouch animation and she did the cat hiss + hairs on end stance midway through it.

It's most likely why the puppy bites her :p

I can see BB being harder. The combos in that game are stupid hard in a lot of cases.

Of course, I will know for sure once I pick up the next version, since it will undoubtedly add its first good character ever. ;)

Sayad

lol

I found out from this fan art:
emXvt1J.jpg

:)

I'd agree with BB being harder, even if GG's system might be less forgiving. Though I still think the hardest fighting game character is OG I-No.

I can see BB being harder. The combos in that game are stupid hard in a lot of cases.

Of course, I will know for sure once I pick up the next version, since it will undoubtedly add its first good character ever. ;)

Nine
?

Personally I've found Blazblue to be much easier to get into. When CT came out I had no experience with fighting games past mashing forward/down and all face buttons for combos and I enjoyed my time as a newcomer a lot. Didn't really feel like anything was preventing me from playing well.

GG feels harder to get into. More difficult timing, larger focus on knockdown, it's just focused differently in a way that I do not personally enjoy more than Blazblue.

The game also seems to be missing character specific intros and battle dialogue (besides those small blurbs at the end of the match that everyone skips). I really enjoyed that aspect of Blazblue because it felt like the story was bleeding into matches depending on the matchup. For me that adds a lot to the fun instead of characters just acting indifferently to each other.

If there is a BBXrd I wouldn't mind if they skipped out on the cinematic intros for keeping all the character specific ones (best case scenario would be cinematic normal and MU specific intros but I'm trying to be reasonable here).

You bet it's Nine!

Question: I am watching the new Ogawa video 4r5 posted, and I noticed a trend. Ogawa often likes to use Break the Law, even when Eddie isn't out, and then he YRCs it. He does this all in a split second, and I don't get why.

Uraizen

Banned

Take a look to the right while the CPU is doing the combo. You'll see the inputs required at the precise time they're required.

Nocturno999

FUCK THIS GAME

You are not supposed to master the game in a couple of weeks. Relax.

Top Bottom