• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

I used to play a very large portion of the cast, before AC. Aside from AC changing the essences of many characters, I dropped all of them but my main, because I sure as fuck was not going to re-grind out training mode, because of a bad port.

When I do BDC Mappa in AC, I always have to remind myself to do it faster. When I do it in Xrd, I just do it the same I've always done it pre-AC.

edit: GG is really tight. Lots of 1f or 2f timing on things. So a frame going from being 1/60th of a second to being 1/61th of a second can be a big deal.

I believe the ps3 version of AC has 3 frames of input delay so it does run a little faster.

Grifter

Only AC got botched to that extent? AC was when my local scene dried up so I never learned specifics but I always had trouble with Slayer timing and Ky FRCs and figured it was rust. I played #R arcade and didn't have issues carrying over from PS2.

Only AC got botched to that extent? AC was when my local scene dried up so I never learned specifics but I always had trouble with Slayer timing and Ky FRCs and figured it was rust. I played #R arcade and didn't have issues carrying over from PS2.

AC was basically a port of a port of a port for ps3 release. Things were bound to get a little quirky somewhere.

Isotope

I seriously hope it's because PSN is still acting wonky, because I just had three consecutive 15+ frame matches.

They're not fun at all.

As a newbie, I found MvC3 combos much more doable than MvC2 ones.

I guess it's different for everyone. I didn't have any problems adjusting to the lessened hitstop going from BBCSE >BBCP (actually felt a lot better) so I was wondering whether ArcSys slowing things down for Xrd was necessary. I suppose I'll just have to get used to it.

+R and Xrd have the same levels of hit stop. GG's always had a long amount of hitstop.

Edit: Scratch that, the table on DL wiki is a placeholder from +R. I don't really feel a difference if there is one though. The game is a bit slower to me, but I don't think it's hitstop?

Also, I'm back in socal. Someone play me.

I'm just going by feeling. Hasn't it been said in interviews that they slowed things down for new players for Xrd?

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Disco. Wish our connection was better, but oh well, haha. I'll keep Zato offline.

I guess it's different for everyone. I didn't have any problems adjusting to the lessened hitstop going from BBCSE >BBCP (actually felt a lot better) so I was wondering whether ArcSys slowing things down for Xrd was necessary. I suppose I'll just have to get used to it.

I'm just going by feeling. Hasn't it been said in interviews that they slowed things down for new players for Xrd?

All I remember is stuff saying they'd want to keep it feeling like Guilty Gear no matter what.

I do feel a speed difference, but what 4r5 said makes total sense. AC on consoles felt faster because the ports ran faster on arcades (which I forgot over time). So Xrd feeling slower is mostly part of getting used to those AC ports.

Skilletor

I hate the way BB games feel (and play). Love the way GG feels. I'm glad for it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sure, invite me. PSN : DiscoShark

GGs, we're coast to coast so it's about as good as we could expect. :p

Ah, not that bad then. I'm disappointed on how I played against Potemkin. I didn't mash after blocking forward mega punch, and I didn't punish blocked hammerfalls. I should know this if I use Potemkin too, haha.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
On second thought, not having throw techs kinda bugs me.

Even if they were in the game you still would almost never see them ;)

You have to press throw at the same exact frame for it to return to neutral, and with'n 2 frames of the throw for it to break but put you in an unfavourable position

Uraizen

Banned
Even if they were in the game you still would almost never see them ;)

You have to press throw at the same exact frame for it to return to neutral, and with'n 2 frames of the throw for it to break but put you in an unfavourable position

I assume this is exactly how they would implement them again, too.

Azure J

Day three (fourth day of ownership, third of actual play) into the game and I have Ram combos that lead to her wall sticks, a decent dust combo, and an anti-air combo that I'm still sucking at utilizing but hype to know I have. :D

Still need to get better at not getting Sol'd, using just frame blocks into blitz shields (I fucking LOVE blitz shields) and getting my movement crisper.

Goal for day four: Begin to use the set play swords better and learn some fucking neutral.
Praise be.
Also begin to develop Elphet more.

Day three (fourth day of ownership, third of actual play) into the game and I have Ram combos that lead to her wall sticks, a decent dust combo, and an anti-air combo that I'm still sucking at utilizing but hype to know I have. :D

Still need to get better at not getting Sol'd, using just frame blocks into blitz shields (I fucking LOVE blitz shields) and getting my movement crisper.

Goal for day four: Begin to use the set play swords better and learn some fucking neutral.
Praise be.
Also begin to develop Elphet more.
Have you played anyone?

FluxWaveZ

Man, I always keep finding Japanese players on Ranked. It's crazy how there doesn't seem to be a region option for Ranked match searches. "Connection Restrictions" seems all over the place and unreliable.

New stuff I did today:
Juggled someone for half their life with -S-.

Did an unblockable twice!

Hit the P, K, S, -K- loop multiple times.

Landed command grabs during the above string (hence the unblockables).

Got a lot more mobile with my play in the spirit of Ogawa's painful fights against the noob ass easymode Rams everywhere (they just jump around and place + swing the GSs...).

Got someone into hard knockdown without a drill (lol).

Summoned Eddie outside of drill hits a few times, but then he always died. Except for one time I won a match with a -P- poke in the neutral. Poor Eddie. :(

I also:
Fail at hcb, f motions like crazy.

Fail at getting drills out often for some reason.

Still chain 5S to 6S midscreen like a moron.

Use 22S up close instead of 2P sometimes, but not often.

Also, the Oki animations in this game in no way match when players actually become active. Drives me nuts.

Edit:
I also watched all of story mode and read the entire Library for the characters.

Been enjoying xrd. I play Sol if anyone wants to run some sets. Ps4 only preez. Also im a pad warrior at the moment lol

Oh yeah hello fg gaf, long time no see :)

zogged

Can anyone give me a brief on how good the netcode is? I'm over in Australia still waiting for my copy to arrive and I'm wondering if playing online is gonna be a pipe dream till it gets released over here.

4r5

Also to note, the PS4 version has a 1+ GB patch that needs to be downloaded after the game is installed.
Helllo..
I'm mr. "Sad european gamer"
Folks: "nello sad european gamer"
"I'd like to vent my teen angst for lack of release in the eu, than i'm gonna take my angel management pill and sleep till i forget gg.."

But anonymous group antics apart, really whatever did europe do to deserve this shit?
I was under the impression that eu gave solid sales to fighting games...

Grifter

AC was basically a port of a port of a port for ps3 release. Things were bound to get a little quirky somewhere.
Wait, are the issues with the PS3 port or PS2 AC?
Pounded. Into. The. Ground. By Slayer! Match connection quality felt pretty good and this was a great way to test out the new monitor I got, GGs!
Connection felt great, now let's play more as I figure out Elph. May not be a good sign that friends saw her and immediately looked at me. I'm suddenly the dude expected to play gun ladies.

Sayad

diff wakeup times for each char, plus faceup and facedown

Why do developers do this? I think it's so damned stupid.
What make it even worse is that some characters like Chipp(well, it might just be Chipp) remain untouchable on wake until the first few frames of their standing animation. Stuff like this whiff if timed based on his wake-up animation:
7uXNXAC.jpg

Basically, you can't time things on wake based on animations alone, you really have to know the wake up situation for each character.

4r5

Why do developers do this? I think it's so damned stupid.

Art and animation aside, though gameplay design is def an art, different wakeup times is of concern for balance.

As Slayer or Johnny fighting Axl, two short range fighters vs a long range fighter, I appreciate his slow wakeup speed. It gives me, the time I need to convert a random knockdown in to a setup.

Though, I don't think wakeup times have ever changed throughout the series. So I don't think they're really thinking that deeply in to it. I think it's simply there to provide variety. Once you hit someone, combos and setplay is mostly a 1p affair, but different characters are like a different song in DDR. I don't think Pop n' Music or IIDX would be as popular as they are if they only had one song.

It's one part variety, and another point of distinction of skill.

Wait, are the issues with the PS3 port or PS2 AC?

I think the PS3 port had some missing features (music select and colors?) that may or may not have been fixed in one of the many releases of AC/AC+R.

Rutger

Banned
I don't mind different wake up speeds.

I kind of like it actually, the gap between face up and face down means my opponent must know what they're doing if they want good oki, and as Chipp, I'll gladly take advantage of their screw up for a chance to escape and save my already low health. Considering this game doesn't give the player any wakeup options, having some variety is nice.

I finally have Xrd. A lot of my previous Chipp knowledge transferred over, and I got used to his new tools quickly, so I don't feel like I lost too much time. I'll be trying out other characters too, the game is already a lot of fun.

Delt31

So apparently best buy has them but limited and found one. Never played gg any newbie tips? I know fighting fairly well

NEO0MJ

So apparently best buy has them but limited and found one. Never played gg any newbie tips? I know fighting fairly well

Just check out the dustloop wiki and the ingame tutorial to get up to speed on what's different about this. You can skip some of the earlier tutorials as they're for stuff most fighting game fans know.

I think the PS3 port had some missing features (music select and colors?) that may or may not have been fixed in one of the many releases of AC/AC+R.

Did they ever update the PS3 port to +R?

Top Bottom