• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

4r5

You bet it's Nine!

Question: I am watching the new Ogawa video 4r5 posted, and I noticed a trend. Ogawa often likes to use Break the Law, even when Eddie isn't out, and then he YRCs it. He does this all in a split second, and I don't get why.

I haven't watched a lot of the video, but the next obvious benefit after the whole not being hittable thing, is that Zato's forward speed is equal to Eddie's forward movement speed, while in puddle. And BreakTheLaw recovery increases the longer you are in puddle, so YRC negates that flaw.

Grifter

Burden of knowledge is def heavier in BB, than GG.

I find BB and P4U more memory-intensive (thus more grinding) for sure. Also, if you don't know match-ups in those, it's a wrap. Next part is more subjective but I can beat a Litchi or Mitsuru and still not any have fun. :)

So then the previous talk about Xrd's lack of presence in Canada wasn't wrong, after all.

I used to go to TO for XX and saw the same guys for an AC tournament so they were going strong.

Next part is more subjective but I can beat a Litchi or Mitsuru and still not any have fun. :)
I understand mitsuru there, but not litchi. Actually P4A, despite how much I enjoy it has a lot of matchups that just arent fun even when winning. Yukari, Yukiko, Kanji, and Mitsuru are the biggest for me. In blazblue its really only fighting against tager as Noel

EDIT: Also all the characters I cant j.C loop as Marie suck too (Teddie, Sho/Minazuki, Adachi)

I haven't watched a lot of the video, but the next obvious benefit after the whole not being hittable thing, is that Zato's forward speed is equal to Eddie's forward movement speed, while in puddle. And BreakTheLaw recovery increases the longer you are in puddle, so YRC negates that flaw.
I just learned two new things, but neither of then explain these situations for me. The context isn't there. If you watch it later, let me know if anything occurs to you?

Grifter

I understand mitsuru there, but not litchi. Actually P4A, despite how much I enjoy it has a lot of matchups that just arent fun even when winning. Yukari, Yukiko, Kanji, and Mitsuru are the biggest for me. In blazblue its really only fighting against tager as Noel

I did the Noel vs Tager match-up from day 1 of CT and it seemed terrible but then it became the most fun I had with BB once you learn the very specific match-up and ways she can relaunch him over and over. Revisited the match in CS2 and didn't need to get as specific but she was great in that version. Not sure about other revisions. Litchi's routines last so long it's an endurance test.

FluxWaveZ

Missions are definitely one of the best additions to a fighting game yet. Until now, fighting games with what are considered to be good tutorials seemed to only really teach one the basics of the game. All of a game's principle mechanics and such, which Xrd's tutorial does as well. But Xrd takes that even further with Missions, teaching people advanced mechanics that I'd have to read up online or watch videos to learn about such as Jump Installs or throwing Bursts, as well as how to use the game's basics in more complex situations.

There are even specific character Missions to teach the player how to go against their specific stuff. Good job on ASW. Really happy that this mode is in here.

4r5

I just learned two new things, but neither of then explain these situations for me. The context isn't there. If you watch it later, let me know if anything occurs to you?

I really hate watching vids with Japanese commentary over the match.

I just glazed through the video and didn't spot anything too note worthy. (As someone who's been playing 10+ years) Got any specific timestamps you wanna talk about?

Well then.... So I bought this today (my first GG, but I've played BlazBlue) and went through the training mode. The merciless frame timing/execution of combos in this game is a huge turnoff but I'm trying my best. I beat arcade mode on normal twice with Potemkin and then took the game online...where I was promptly handed my ass by level 1 players for 8 or 10 matches straight. I had a lot of fun but the lag was unbearable. Every match had 8+ frames of delay. All in all, this will take some time to get into. I'm trying not to let the constant stream of losses make me quit the game. Is there anyone here who just flat out sucks at fighting games like me who might want to play sometime? We can laugh it off and have fun times.

Soulflarz

Banned
I bought this the other day and I'm really enjoying it. My only 2 notable complains so far are
1) Buy Sin
2) Having to do all the arcade modes for my gallery, but thats not a flaw :p

Mesoian

I bought this the other day and I'm really enjoying it. My only 2 notable complains so far are
1) Buy Sin

I wish there were better ways of getting money. You should get money for playing online.

That's my only non fighting engine based gripe.

Missions are definitely one of the best additions to a fighting game yet. Until now, fighting games with what are considered to be good tutorials seemed to only really teach one the basics of the game. All of a game's principle mechanics and such, which Xrd's tutorial does as well. But Xrd takes that even further with Missions, teaching people advanced mechanics that I'd have to read up online or watch videos to learn about such as Jump Installs or throwing Bursts, as well as how to use the game's basics in more complex situations.

There are even specific character Missions to teach the player how to go against their specific stuff. Good job on ASW. Really happy that this mode is in here.
Did you notice the guy in our bracket that wants a Smash match?

I really hate watching vids with Japanese commentary over the match.

I just glazed through the video and didn't spot anything too note worthy. (As someone who's been playing 10+ years) Got any specific timestamps you wanna talk about?
I don't feel like watching it all again. I will point it out sometime in the future. What is the hitbox on Break the Law like? I notice that I sometimes get hit out of it.

1) Buy Sin
You can earn Sin in-game after a few hours.

4r5

Oh, what I did notice was one or two Dead Man Hand setups. Or, at least he used Dead Man Hand.

What is the hitbox on Break the Law like? I notice that I sometimes get hit out of it.

Once you're in puddle form, you have no hitbox at all. You can't be touched or thrown. If you are getting hit, then you either did not make it down in to a puddle, or were coming back up. Or, if you YRC'ed, were hit during YRC startup.

xezuru

No reason not to get ps3 version, right? I have a ps4, but only got ps3/360 sticks. There's cross-play right?

There's no reason performance wise.
PS4 1080p 60fps
PS3 720p 60fps with some minor missing graphical effects

There is crossplay, but from what I've heard its hit and miss right now and will probably be patched later because of some network compatibility issues.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hmm ok. I'd sworn off anime fighters after buying 3 versions of blazblue and sucking ass at all of them. But hype levels seem pretty high in this thread and the recent BB vs GG opinions seemed to lean in favor of GG. So...impulse buy, go!

Mesoian

Hmm ok. I'd sworn off anime fighters after buying 3 versions of blazblue and sucking ass at all of them. But hype levels seem pretty high in this thread and the recent BB vs GG opinions seemed to lean in favor of GG. So...impulse buy, go!

I have NEVER liked BB, I ADORE GG. The speed of BB feels bad. Doing combos feels like playing the piano with how much time there is in between button presses.

Are there going to be any rooms up around 6pm PST? I've decided I just need to get on and play online even though I don't have a PS4 stick so I can get rekt by all you guys with my top tier pad play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You bet it's Nine!

Question: I am watching the new Ogawa video 4r5 posted, and I noticed a trend. Ogawa often likes to use Break the Law, even when Eddie isn't out, and then he YRCs it. He does this all in a split second, and I don't get why.

Time stop abuse from what I can tell along with the stuff 4r5 mentioned. I do this with Ky's 6k all the time.

I have NEVER liked BB, I ADORE GG. The speed of BB feels bad. Doing combos feels like playing the piano with how much time there is in between button presses.

Uh, BBCP is not like that at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Doesnt it depend on which BB version he played?

Also, what is time stop abuse, and why is it worth meter?

When you do any cancels movement and actions from the other player are slowed down, YRC has the shortest duration but it gives you time to analyze the situation and react to stuff while at the same time the other person can really do much especially if they pressed a button already.

Like for instance I throw out a random Greed Sever with Ky as someone air dashed at me. I can YRC it right away and during the time freeze change up what I was doing. If they are close free air throw! If they are mid range j.S! If I want to make space in the match up air dash back! If I totally fucked up and they were already landing and were going to 6p me FD!

When you do any cancels movement and actions from the other player are slowed down, YRC has the shortest duration but it gives you time to analyze the situation and react to stuff while at the same time the other person can really do much especially if they pressed a button already.

Like for instance I throw out a random Greed Sever with Ky as someone air dashed at me. I can YRC it right away and during the time freeze change up what I was doing. If they are close free air throw! If they are mid range j.S! If I want to make space in the match up air dash back! If they were going to 6p me FD!
Oh, that makes sense.

To me it feels like the opposite. Going from BBCP/AC+R levels of hitstop to GGXrd feels bad.

I feel like slowing things down for new players may have not been actually necessary but then again I can't really experience things from a completely fresh perspective anymore.

To me it feels like the opposite. Going from BBCP/AC+R levels of hitstop to GGXrd feels bad.

I feel like slowing things down for new players may have not been actually necessary but then again I can't really experience things from a completely fresh perspective anymore.
As a newbie, I found MvC3 combos much more doable than MvC2 ones.

Papstr

Neo Member

Like for instance I throw out a random Greed Sever with Ky as someone air dashed at me. I can YRC it right away and during the time freeze change up what I was doing. If they are close free air throw! If they are mid range j.S! If I want to make space in the match up air dash back! If I totally fucked up and they were already landing and were going to 6p me FD!
This is why I liked chain shift in UNIEL. I need to play with YRCing as a scouting tool more often, though I guess Gunflame YRC already serves that purpose and covers space.

GG-Duo

Causal GGXX player here... I used to play Slayer and Faust.

Is there a good blog post or guides that outlines the system differences between the XX series and Xrd? Just from watching Twitch, it seems the most noticable thing are the roman cancels?

Thanks.

Pejo

even the normal edition is sold out. wtf bb

Yea this is driving me nuts as well. I got the GCU and a few BestBuy gift cards from Christmas. At least I downloaded Elphelt already so I don't have to worry about buying her whenever BestBuy decides to get more stock of the game.

Mesoian

Story mode only gives one 100k.

I haven't spent much time in anything other than the Training modes, online and the Story mode, though. Haven't gotten enough for Sin off of those, yet.

Doing the first 16 character trials for each person will net you over 100k. Takes about 30 minutes.

Uh, BBCP is not like that at all.

I've only played CT. It left such a bad impression on me, I left the series and never went back.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've only played CT. It left such a bad impression on me, I left the series and never went back.

LOL That's like saying you played xmen vs sf and didn't like it so you wont play marvel 3

Or you didn't like the first darkstalkers game so you wont try the last one

Or you didn't like Alpha 1 so the other two are not worth a shot

Rhapsody

Banned

+R and Xrd have the same levels of hit stop. GG's always had a long amount of hitstop.

Edit: Scratch that, the table on DL wiki is a placeholder from +R. I don't really feel a difference if there is one though. The game is a bit slower to me, but I don't think it's hitstop?

Also, I'm back in socal. Someone play me.

4r5

+R and Xrd have the same levels of hit stop. GG's always had a long amount of hitstop.

Edit: Scratch that, the table on DL wiki is a placeholder from +R. I don't really feel a difference if there is one though. The game is a bit slower to me, but I don't think it's hitstop?

Also, I'm back in socal. Someone play me.

Assuming 4gamer's wiki is correct; Slayer's Helter Skelter frameadvantage would indicate that hitstop is the same that it has always been.

What I think people are noticing is the speed difference coming from the console ports of AC to Xrd. Xrd's speed feels the same as arcade AC and all the PS2 ports of XX, #r, and Slash.

When PS2 AC was first released, there were similarly odd complaints about stuff like, the stages feel shorter, or jump arcs are funny, or FRC's got stricter. But really the PS2 port wasn't arcade perfect, and ran a little bit too fast. (Among other bugs)

Mesoian

LOL That's like saying you played xmen vs sf and didn't like it so you wont play marvel 3

Or you didn't like the first darkstalkers game so you wont try the last one

Or you didn't like Alpha 1 so the other two are not worth a shot

I mean, yeah.

I just went back to SF. Then went to Marvel. Then went to Skullgirls. Then forgot everything I knew about SF. And now I'm here.

Assuming 4gamer's wiki is correct; Slayer's Helter Skelter frameadvantage would indicate that hitstop is the same that it has always been.

What I think people are noticing is the speed difference coming from the console ports of AC to Xrd. Xrd's speed feels the same as arcade AC and all the PS2 ports of XX, #r, and Slash.

When PS2 AC was first released, there were similarly odd complaints about stuff like, the stages feel shorter, or jump arcs are funny, or FRC's got stricter. But really the PS2 port wasn't arcade perfect, and ran a little bit too fast. (Among other bugs)

This. Most people don't know that the PS version of AC ran faster than their arcade counterparts. The PSN release also runs faster on the PS3 as well I believe. If you only played them on PS then you obviously wouldn't be able to know the difference without doing research or having arcade experience or playing the early versions of XX.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Never forget double clean hit sidewinder and unkillable bears

Also Ino crashing the game

Bridget was SSS tier in that shit LOL

Rhapsody

Banned

That's actually a good explanation since I did forget about the faster ports.
Unfortunately I didn't play arcade AC a lot, so I wonder how it compares to Xrd's speed.

Edit: But if I'll take your word on Xrd's speed feeling the same as arcade AC. Those console speeds definitely affected me. With Zato, I kept getting the wrong negative edge input when I was holding multiple buttons, making me have to slow things down until I got used to it, haha

4r5

I used to play a very large portion of the cast, before AC. Aside from AC changing the essences of many characters, I dropped all of them but my main, because I sure as fuck was not going to re-grind out training mode, because of a bad port.

When I do BDC Mappa in AC, I always have to remind myself to do it faster. When I do it in Xrd, I just do it the same I've always done it pre-AC.

edit: GG is really tight. Lots of 1f or 2f timing on things. So a frame going from being 1/60th of a second to being 1/61th of a second can be a big deal.

Top Bottom