• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wrapped up story mode and enjoyed it more than I expected. Though it had a bit too much focus on the same few people leaving most of the cast to get pretty shafted with screentime.

Need...more...Ogawa!!!

Playing all this Xrd makes me wanna pick up +R for my Vita again and go through the story mode.
I honestly never thought the games to have a story mode. Just typical Capcom fare.

Also, your posts in the Madhouse are appreciated.

Wrapped up story mode and enjoyed it more than I expected. Though it had a bit too much focus on the same few people leaving most of the cast to get pretty shafted with screentime.
I figure different characters will get focuses in the sequels. The new characters got the most screen time, and I think that is appropriate.

Hopefully, as they master this technology, the mode will become even more expansive.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Johnny and Gabriel were more important than, like, 60% of the playable cast.

I enjoyed story mode more than I thought I would, too. It's still a crazy world, but it's more coherent than BlazBlue. Some of those cutscenes were truly impressive.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So, I finished story mode. That was pretty good. Playable Gabriel when? I wanna go oraoraoraora on my opponents.

Also, Ky is a Gear? What?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
May is 22 now?!
She really needed a character redesign to accommodate this...
they poke fun at it in story mode, but still.

Also, Ky is a Gear? What?
Well, apparently Gears start off as humans, so becoming a Gear/implanting Gear DNA in yourself or something wouldn't be entirely out of the question. That was totally unexpected, though.

Korigama

Well, apparently Gears start off as humans, so becoming a Gear/implanting Gear DNA in yourself or something wouldn't be entirely out of the question. That was totally unexpected, though.
Arguably, the only real clue to any unusual biology with him was his mention to Dizzy that he had started wearing his hair longer because he had tried cutting it, but it kept growing back too quickly. At least, going on the whole human/Gear hybrids having accelerated growth thing.

ScOULaris

Finally got around to playing some Xrd on my new stick, and I've had very good experiences with the netcode thus far. Nothing but smooth games for the first ten or so that I played. It helps that the combos in GG are mostly chains, though. It's easier to notice frame delay when you're trying to do links.

Arguably, the only real clue to any unusual biology with him was his mention to Dizzy that he had started wearing his hair longer because he had tried cutting it, but it kept growing back too quickly. At least, going on the whole human/Gear hybrids having accelerated growth thing.

I thought it was a little strange that he said that but I never thought he would turn out to be half-gear. A fun surprise to say the least.

antibolo

Banned
Is Guilty Gear 2 Overture worth playing? All I know is that it's not a fighting game (or at least not entirely), but I kinda want more GG story.

Is Guilty Gear 2 Overture worth playing? All I know is that it's not a fighting game (or at least not entirely), but I kinda want more GG story.

Probably not? It's kind of interesting to see ArcSys attempt a moba on a console with hero/champion fights being handled in a sort of 2D/3D action fighting game mishmash. Xrd seems to be a pretty close follow up the story of overture but can't you get that from the database/library?

I watched a walkthrough on Youtube prior to playing Xrd's story mode, and the game seems like an assault on the senses. A Dynasty Warriors esque beat-em up with a Guilty Gear paintjob. The assault on the senses part comes from things in the game just constantly. talking. I guess if you can deal with that, then it's worth playing?

My thoughts were that all I needed was the Youtube playthroughs to get a proper gist of the game and it's plot.

Kimosabae

Banned
How long does play-asia usually take to send the redemption code of a points card? I ordered 1000 digital jpn points from them about 30 minutes ago and got the item summary email and everything. I read it could take a few minutes on their site, but this long?

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, Chapter 4 in the story, I love how
Axl basically says what he has to to That Man then is all "WHERE THE HELL IS THE EXIT?!" *runs away*

How long does play-asia usually take to send the redemption code of a points card? I ordered 1000 digital jpn points from them about 30 minutes ago and got the item summary email and everything. I read it could take a few minutes on their site, but this long?

Should be practically instant. They add it to the download code section on your account on their site or some shit.

Edit: Oh the codes were added under order summary/shipped on my play asia account. It's been a while since I used them.

Azure J

For those of you who don't mind watching a GG scrub get better, I'm streaming from time to time at www.twitch.tv/AzureJerichoGAF

I really wish if I could change my stream name since that's a relic of an older time, but I'm too comfortable with it and all my subs are there.

I had an impromptu stream session (my first live stream ever) via PS4 last night that went pretty well and I like the idea so get ready for more in the future. I hope next time I'll be more free to talk to the chat via headset though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Should be practically instant. They add it to the download code section on your account on their site or some shit.

Edit: Oh the codes were added under order summary/shipped on my play asia account. It's been a while since I used them.

Yeah, I checked and there's nothing there/ Just the order number. And apparently they don't have a contact phone number that I can find?

The fuck?

#AlwaysWaitForYourDamnedRegionUnlessYoureEurope

*edit*

I just checked credit card transactions and I got charged twice for this shit despite only getting one confirmation email. The fuck is up with this company?

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, I checked and there's nothing there/ Just the order number. And apparently they don't have a contact phone number that I can find?

The fuck?

#AlwaysWaitForYourDamnedRegionUnlessYoureEurope

*edit*

I just checked credit card transactions and I got charged twice for this shit despite only getting one confirmation email. The fuck is up with this company?

It's not always instant. As for getting charged twice, that's a blunder on their part. E-mail or call them up.

Their customer service is at least good. I haven't had any problems like that before though with P-A. They've always been great to me, so that's a rare slip up.

AlexIIDX

So i'm constantly getting bullied in the corners online, should I ever be trying the dead angle attack....and whats the key to getting out. Just learning when block strings end?

Mononoke

Banned
Can a newcomer jump in and play this? Is this in the same style as Blaze Blue? Only have played Blaze Blue and Marvel Ultimate on Vita. Considering this on ps4.

So i'm constantly getting bullied in the corners online, should I ever be trying the dead angle attack....and whats the key to getting out. Just learning when block strings end?
Use all of your tools. Just defense, dead angle, faultless defense, your burst...

I have become a fan of superjumping into air dash, as well. Ogawa does it a lot.

Can a newcomer jump in and play this? Is this in the same style as Blaze Blue? Only have played Blaze Blue and Marvel Ultimate on Vita. Considering this on ps4.
BlazBlue is probably the most similar to it, though I like this better.

ScOULaris

Use all of your tools. Just defense, dead angle, faultless defense, your burst...

I have become a fan of superjumping into air dash, as well. Ogawa does it a lot.

BlazBlue is probably the most similar to it, though I like this better.

Check out the defense options in this link:

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Defense_(GGXRD)

Lots of ways for you to push your opponent back enough to create space for a counter or escape.

I've found GG much easier to play/get into than BB was personally. There are a lot of similar things that cross over between the series but I've found GG more enjoyable. The game plays faster and can be a little more hectic but if you have experience with BB it is an easier transition than say coming from SF4.

Papercuts

It's most similar to Blazblue.

For me, it's been sorta hard to transition despite feeling that way, but I'm liking the game a lot. The thing about BB and GG that I've played is that I never really had a sub, I only mained one character and knew him very well. So even with the mechanic similarity it still feels like starting from square one since I have no previous hands on with the characters here.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not a big BB fan. I loved it, but not an expert by any means. I was just trying to get a feel for what to expect from this. I think, I'm going to try it. Because, I want something to challenge me. I want to get good at this. I've never been good at a fighting game. And I've heard nothing but great things about this. So I feel this is worth tackling.

I just wanted to make sure, it's something a new person COULD eventually get good at, if t hey worked hard.

Like it has a tutorial mode I assume? Also, side note. But is the story mode robust? Is it enjoyable if you have zero clue about the plot? I'm not too worried about not knowing past plot or characters. Just kind of curious.

Sorry for all the questions. I guess I'll buy it and try it out myself. I forgot to mention, I loved the Persona Arena games too.

Beats

2 more matches and then I gotta go Beats.

Good games Naite! Fun matches though there were a couple where I was getting beaten up pretty bad lol. : p Had a hard time blocking those overheads.

I think I'm starting to get a hang of the game.

I'm pretty new to the series and I think the game does a good job explaining the mechanics and such. There's a tutorial mode going over a lot of the mechanics and there's also a mission mode that asks you to overcome situational challenges that will probably happen during your fights. There's a lot to learn though, so it can be overwhelming.

I'm not a big BB fan. I loved it, but not an expert by any means. I was just trying to get a feel for what to expect from this. I think, I'm going to try it. Because, I want something to challenge me. I want to get good at this. I've never been good at a fighting game. And I've heard nothing but great things about this. So I feel this is worth tackling.

I just wanted to make sure, it's something a new person COULD eventually get good at, if t hey worked hard.

Like it has a tutorial mode I assume? Also, side note. But is the story mode robust? Is it enjoyable if you have zero clue about the plot? I'm not too worried about not knowing past plot or characters. Just kind of curious.

Sorry for all the questions. I guess I'll buy it and try it out myself. I forgot to mention, I loved the Persona Arena games too.
Plenty of new players here to learn with. The game has a robust training mode, and teaches you all about the history of the series.

Mononoke

Banned
Good games Naite! Fun matches though there were a couple where I was getting beaten up pretty bad lol. : p Had a hard time blocking those overheads.

I think I'm starting to get a hang of the game.

I'm pretty new to the series and I think the game does a good job explaining the mechanics and such. There's a tutorial mode going over a lot of the mechanics and there's also a mission mode that asks you to overcome situational challenges that will probably happen during your fights. There's a lot to learn though, so it can be overwhelming.

Okay that's all I needed to know. I just ordered it on PSN and it's downloading now. So excited. Got this + Wolfenstein recently. Still trying to finish up Alien Isolation and Lords of the Fallen. This was a good week. :D

Plenty of new players here to learn with. The game has a robust training mode, and teaches you all about the history of the series.

Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. So glad I got this.

Papercuts

Yeah, the game has a solid tutorial and the practice mode has a lot of options to mess with. There's always other gaffers to play with as well since you're not alone in that boat, though I haven't really delved into online much yet.

Top Bottom