• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Naite

Good games Naite! Fun matches though there were a couple where I was getting beaten up pretty bad lol. : p Had a hard time blocking those overheads.

I think I'm starting to get a hang of the game.

Yeah good games man. While I can't give you any Elphelt advice (careful when you pull out a grenade or the rifle though), I'll give you a few tips for fighting me.

- The 2nd hit of that 2-hit Dandy step move I kept doing is an overhead. I could've done just the first hit and then a low kick but I was getting so much mileage off the overhead.
- Whenever you block my slide, go on the offensive. I'm typically open to a counterattack there.
- Don't be afraid to jab or counter in the middle of my pressure. I often mistime a bunch of setups or have a couple of holes you can break out of.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can a newcomer jump in and play this? Is this in the same style as Blaze Blue? Only have played Blaze Blue and Marvel Ultimate on Vita. Considering this on ps4.

Dunno I did that though XD
Only played BlazBlue. Whoops. It's fun

"As long as nothing catastrophic happens between the time I write this and the release date, it should be available for home console on December 16th in the United States, and December 17th in Europe."

...yeaah, about that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah good games man. While I can't give you any Elphelt advice (careful when you pull out a grenade or the rifle though), I'll give you a few tips for fighting me.

- The 2nd hit of that 2-hit Dandy step move I kept doing is an overhead. I could've done just the first hit and then a low kick but I was getting so much mileage off the overhead.
- Whenever you block my slide, go on the offensive. I'm typically open to a counterattack there.
- Don't be afraid to jab or counter in the middle of my pressure. I often mistime a bunch of setups or have a couple of holes you can break out of.

I think this is exactly what runs in my head too lol

So many fake mindgames I want to do, but there's no reason to in most games I play against people.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dont start the character design argument :V
I used to bash BB character design too but it doesn't matter in the end. The gameplay is solid and that's good enough for me. Man, what a great year 2014 was: BBCP, P4AU, and Xrd got so much mileage out of my arcade stick. Here's hoping 2015 is even better.

Naite

I think this is exactly what runs in my head too lol

So many fake mindgames I want to do, but there's no reason to in most games I play against people.

It's like a guaranteed counterhit in ranked. I don't even bother doing the more damaging 5H followup combo because at soon as you do the 6H version they usually try to burst.

Beats

Personally, I think Arakune, Hakumen, Tsubaki, Noel from the earlier games, Rachel, and Valkenhayn look cool in BB. I can't say I'm really fond of the rest. I'm not really sure what makes a good character design without taking into account my own aesthetic preferences though. I mean I think those characters look cool, but are they good/bad character designs? Maybe I don't read enough character design discussions, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone really break it down as to why or how x character design is good or bad. What factors should people look at when examining a character design to measure its quality?

Thanks! I'll try to keep that stuff in mind for next time.

Azure J

Wrapped up story mode and enjoyed it more than I expected. Though it had a bit too much focus on the same few people leaving most of the cast to get pretty shafted with screentime.

Something that the story mode really touched on that I never realized before going in on this title was how well everyone knows each other. It's not even like the casual "mandatory off hand gestures because fighting game characters" but it really felt like everyone's well acquainted with one another. The scene with Zato coming through to Zepp and Chipp & May's random adventure were neat. This stuff extends into win quotes too, Millia's comments to May were pretty cool.

I guess I'm just not used to fighting games with such strong story elements. :p

So, I finished story mode. That was pretty good. Playable Gabriel when? I wanna go oraoraoraora on my opponents.

Also, Ky is a Gear? What?

Gabriel is a fucking bawse. Him,
the Pope/Valentine Queen thing Bedman is in allegiance with, Dark Elphet
, Dizzy and Johnny are strong bets for newcomers (at least imo).

Also,
after the revelation of Ky being part gear, my siblings and I are jokingly entertaining the idea of Ky randomly developing gear powers and having a lightning Tiger Install complete with Dragonforce sounding theme music in a later Xrd revision. :lol

Soulflarz

Banned
I know those feels.

going from Very Hard to playing online is still a kick in the groin.

This is my first Guilty Gear, and ive played casually for 2 days >.>

I mean, I expected this. I dont mechanically understand blazblue (as in i understand it, my thought process when playing isnt in regards to it though) and I usually have 50%ish Win/Loss due to the sheer amount ive used ragna and the fact im pretty good with him, but in this, I'm just kind of like "what do i even do"

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Fluxwave (and 4r5). Sorry, but I have to get going. I might be on later tonight if anyone wants to play.

Edit: It sucks being on the opposite end and fighting Zato for once lol. Can't let up against any Zato players.
Also fighting Zato, Bedman, and Axl with Potemkin/Slayer was pretty valuable for me. So much I need to learn on those matchups.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Rhapsody. I'm still not good enough. I guess I need to spend way more time in training mode; it's hard to tell if I'm improving or not.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Rhapsody. I'm still not good enough. I guess I need to spend way more time in training mode; it's hard to tell if I'm improving or not.

It's definitely making good progress. Some easier tips I can give is to try and buy time for Eddie to revive a bit more. Turning into a puddle and then YRCing out is a good way. And if you're flying way up in the air and need to get back down, YRCing Shadow Gallery is good too.

It looks like you're feeling too comfortable with 6K after K shadow. When you feel more confident, you can practice other pressure/mixups. 6K's actually much slower than what it was in AC.

I can try some Zato next time. I dunno if I can do him justice, especially on a mirror, but I could try.

Edit: Don't worry if Zato vs Ky feels a bit hard right now. The matchup is rough if you aren't confident with controlling Eddie against projectiles.

FluxWaveZ

Edit: Don't worry if Zato vs Ky feels a bit hard right now. The matchup is rough if you aren't confident with controlling Eddie against projectiles.

At this point, going against anyone who's good is pretty hard for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Concerning the projectiles, I'm guessing 214S is a valid answer to them? Seems like reflecting projectiles would generally be the way to go. When Eddie is out, I play pretty much how I used to when I first picked up Shadow Labrys: mash 'til it works. I'm gonna have to learn some actual coordination, 'cause Eddie is no Asterius, heh. I think I have to start actually cancelling him more, too, instead of leaving him out until the meter depletes by itself.

I still have an extremely hard time with throws. Everyone can do them so well, but I have no idea how to pull of a throw in a certain circumstance, myself. Really not used to them.

Rhapsody

Banned
At this point, going against anyone who's good is pretty hard for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Concerning the projectiles, I'm guessing 214S is a valid answer to them? Seems like reflecting projectiles would generally be the way to go.

When Eddie is out, I play pretty much how I used to when I first picked up Shadow Labrys: mash 'til it works. I'm gonna have to learn some actual coordination, 'cause Eddie is no Asterius, heh. I think I have to start actually cancelling him more, too, instead of leaving him out until the meter depletes by itself.
214S isn't used too much. The reason why is because you won't be able to start anything. I might block the reflected stun edge, but I don't think there's enough frame advantage to totally lock out Ky.

You were doing great with using drills to negate my stun edge. Now all you need to do is have Eddie out (and this is where it gets a little tricky. Basically you want the drill to shield Eddie and Eddie to shield you while you both approach. When Eddie is close enough, you can do something like 22HS and H shadow (if you want to sandwich them). You can either choose to K Shadow while you're recovering from 22HS, then you dash up and do 2S 22S blockstring, or you can position Eddie behind the opponent.

Edit: Getting used to air throws take time. Me and others just have a feel for the range after getting used to it. They were an accidental occurrence way back when I first started AC, haha. Ground throws as a punish is just eyeballing if they didn't do a good blockstring. Speaking of which, I was free to 4r5's throws :(

Ra1den

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 or PS4 just for Xrd. I know there is cross play, but I hear it can be laggier.

Which console do you guys think will have the longest lasting community? Is there any current indication of which console has the most players?

I'm also considering holding out for a potential PC release.

^why i will always play with a controller

When you think of it as a one time investment per console gen it isn't so bad.

Of course some people go down the rabbit hole much deeper than that...

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 or PS4 just for Xrd. I know there is cross play, but I hear it can be laggier.

Which console do you guys think will have the longest lasting community? Is there any current indication of which console has the most players?

The game is cross-play, so you might as well go PS4 if you also want to get a current gen console for other reasons as well.

Edit: read this too fast and didn't realize you said you know it has crossplay, haha.

Onemic

There hasnt been a discernible difference in lag for crossplay. For me at least.

Soulflarz

Banned
When you think of it as a one time investment per console gen it isn't so bad.

Of course some people go down the rabbit hole much deeper than that...

Ehh, thats 3 games launch day for me, and seeing how I only play BB as a fighter (this is my first GG), Id rather get those >.>

I haven't played much because PS4 pad is crippling, but I decided to test the PS4 share function by recording my day-one Ino bnbs and resets. Let me know what you guys think, I don't know what's out there so any advice is cool, if it's just old news no worries:

Corner BnB
Reset option 1(air throw)
Reset option 2(meaty high/low)
Reset option 3(fake/cross-under)

You can do more and change where in the combo to throw off bursts, etc. But you get the idea.

All in all, the PS4 function looks like it'd save me all the extra time it took me to make gifs like when I was playing marvel lol

Anyway, back to losing with Elena in AE PC! Let me know when ASW patches in PS3 stick support lol

Personally, I think Arakune, Hakumen, Tsubaki, Noel from the earlier games, Rachel, and Valkenhayn look cool in BB. I can't say I'm really fond of the rest. I'm not really sure what makes a good character design without taking into account my own aesthetic preferences though. I mean I think those characters look cool, but are they good/bad character designs? Maybe I don't read enough character design discussions, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone really break it down as to why or how x character design is good or bad. What factors should people look at when examining a character design to measure its quality?

Everyone has their own ideas about what makes good character design. Ultimately though what usually happens in character design discussions is "thing I like" = good character design, "thing I don't like" = bad character design in an endless cycle. It's rare to see anything in-between from my experience.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Beats. After 2HS on block, if you ever want to retreat back into neutral, you can go into 2D and IAD back or something with Elphelt.

Top Bottom