• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Beats

GGs, Beats. After 2HS on block, if you ever want to retreat back into neutral, you can go into 2D and IAD back or something with Elphelt.

Good games! I'll try that out next time. Potemkin is so scary : <. Also, I hope the connection was okay for you.

edit: When you were doing YRC with Zato after "hiding" and reappearing can I hit him out of that? I tried to do it when you were up close but I don't think it worked.

Rhapsody

Banned
Good games! I'll try that out next time. Potemkin is so scary : <. Also, I hope the connection was okay for you.

edit: When you were doing YRC with Zato after "hiding" and reappearing can I hit him out of that? I tried to do it when you were up close but I don't think it worked.

Connection was good on my side. 4-5F delay or so.

And no, you can't. That's why it's kinda dumb, haha. Even if you were in neutral, he's able to get out a normal first and even counter hit you (at least against Elphelt's fastest buttons). He's not able to summon a shadow in time though. Some players like Ogawa do S shadow after YRCing out of puddle, but that's because it's somewhat hard to react if they're going to just mash 2P or summon Eddie.

Prototype

Corner BnB[/URL]
Reset option 1(air throw)
Reset option 2(meaty high/low)
Reset option 3(fake/cross-under)

You can do more and change where in the combo to throw off bursts, etc. But you get the idea.

All in all, the PS4 function looks like it'd save me all the extra time it took me to make gifs like when I was playing marvel lol

Anyway, back to losing with Elena in AE PC! Let me know when ASW patches in PS3 stick support lol

Nice videos man, always good to see more Ino stuff.

At this point, going against anyone who's good is pretty hard for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Concerning the projectiles, I'm guessing 214S is a valid answer to them? Seems like reflecting projectiles would generally be the way to go. When Eddie is out, I play pretty much how I used to when I first picked up Shadow Labrys: mash 'til it works. I'm gonna have to learn some actual coordination, 'cause Eddie is no Asterius, heh. I think I have to start actually cancelling him more, too, instead of leaving him out until the meter depletes by itself.

I still have an extremely hard time with throws. Everyone can do them so well, but I have no idea how to pull of a throw in a certain circumstance, myself. Really not used to them.
Dustloop posters say you shouldn't 214S projectiles. Instead, IAD over them during startup. Go on the offense.

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 or PS4 just for Xrd. I know there is cross play, but I hear it can be laggier.

Which console do you guys think will have the longest lasting community? Is there any current indication of which console has the most players?

I'm also considering holding out for a potential PC release.
Go with the PS4. It will last you a generation.

I'm in a debate with myself about buying Xrd, hows the net code for the game?
Solid.

Did anyone spot this? Xrd is Giant Bomb's "best-looking game" of 2014.
Deserved.

xezuru

I've said this a bunch before but I'm super new to GG competitive stuff, is Tiger Kneeing for instant aerial used in anything?
Messed with Chip a bit and sometimes it kindaa works and iunno feels alien in this engine.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've said this a bunch before but I'm super new to GG competitive stuff, is Tiger Kneeing for instant aerial used in anything? Messed with Chip a bit and sometimes it kindaa works and iunno kinda seems alien in this engine.

Depends on the characters. Millia can TK Bad Moon for a quick overhead. Ky can TK air S Stun Edge as a "fake" frame trap for people that hesitate. Not sure who else utilizes some TK aerial stuff, so someone else can help fill in.

Skilletor

I've said this a bunch before but I'm super new to GG competitive stuff, is Tiger Kneeing for instant aerial used in anything?
Messed with Chip a bit and sometimes it kindaa works and iunno feels alien in this engine.

Tiger knee alpha blade is useful in combos and, depending on distance, for pressure (less recovery if you space it right).

NEO0MJ

If I pick it up I could only get it on PS3. Should I wait till i can get it on PS4 or is it still gonna be relevant playing on PS3 if they update the game?

Pick it up now on PS3. The game will get upgraded with a year and a half at most so it isn't worth waiting until you have a PS4 to buy it.

Aesthet1c

Hey GAF, how rough is this game for newbies?

I love Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but I'm pretty casual at both. I've heard GG has a steep learning curve, but I'm willing to take the time if the fun factor is there. Is the net code and matchmaking pretty good too? I don't have any fighting game friends, so I would be fully relying on online play.

Just been hearing a lot about this game lately and I really want something to scratch that fighting game itch until MKX and SF5 come out.

Negaduck

This game is so good.

Starting to get my Faust S.k confirms to air combo.

And drill to pyscho crusher FRC combo.

Anyone else got some dope Dr.Baldman combos?

Hey GAF, how rough is this game for newbies?

I love Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but I'm pretty casual at both. I've heard GG has a steep learning curve, but I'm willing to take the time if the fun factor is there. Is the net code and matchmaking pretty good too? I don't have any fighting game friends, so I would be fully relying on online play.

Just been hearing a lot about this game lately and I really want something to scratch that fighting game itch until MKX and SF5 come out.
Getting to mediocre level at any fighting game is going to be an uphill battle. The real question is the one about netcode. If there is a good community and good netcode you've got two thirds of what you need to get good. The last third is a matter of how much work you yourself are willing to put into the game.

That said, Xrd has had pretty good reports post patch.

4r5

Happy New Year.
GGs Rhapsody and Flux. I'm still getting used to Axl, thanks for the help.

Corner BnB[/URL]
Reset option 1(air throw)
Reset option 2(meaty high/low)
Reset option 3(fake/cross-under)

You can do more and change where in the combo to throw off bursts, etc. But you get the idea.

All in all, the PS4 function looks like it'd save me all the extra time it took me to make gifs like when I was playing marvel lol

Anyway, back to losing with Elena in AE PC! Let me know when ASW patches in PS3 stick support lol

My hands are cold, having trouble reproducing some of these setups. Oh wait, it's because you have the training dummy set to neutral tech. Anyways..

For the cross-under reset, as you are doing it right now with the neutral tech, your are susceptible to throw. Back or forward tech will give them a combo during your VCL recovery.

For your meaty high/low reset, a forward tech will completely avoid the note, and potentially give them a punish on you. Other techs will force them to block the note, but after blocking the note, the coudl double jump or airdash, or attack back.

Generally, I-No doesn't go for resets anymore, now that she can get a knockdown off every hit, thanks to CL's new followup. Then you run the setplay. You bait for bursts, but should they not burst, then your bait simple becomes a reset.

And FYI, there are two tech points for air recovery. First is Back/Forward, then a frame latter is neutral tech. Generally you practice with dummy set to forward/back tech. Even though in higher levels of play neutral tech tends to be more prevalent.

Happy New Year.

My hands are cold, having trouble reproducing some of these setups. Oh wait, it's because you have the training dummy set to neutral tech. Anyways..

For the cross-under reset, as you are doing it right now with the neutral tech, your are susceptible to throw. Back or forward tech will give them a combo during your VCL recovery.

For your meaty high/low reset, a forward tech will completely avoid the note, and potentially give them a punish on you. Other techs will force them to block the note, but after blocking the note, the coudl double jump or airdash, or attack back.

Generally, I-No doesn't go for resets anymore, now that she can get a knockdown off every hit, thanks to CL's new followup. Then you run the setplay. You bait for bursts, but should they not burst, then your bait simple becomes a reset.

And FYI, there are two tech points for air recovery. First is Back/Forward, then a frame latter is neutral tech. Generally you practice with dummy set to forward/back tech. Even though in higher levels of play neutral tech tends to be more prevalent.

Good advice. I usually use the note one and just YRC it no matter what happens. But you're probably right about just going to the knockdown. I play Marvel so I have a habit of making up smoke-and-mirrors resets.

Dlent

TK Mad Struggle is a staple of Venom's pressure.

Rhapsody

Banned
Happy New Year.

GGs. First time I fought Axl in Xrd, so that was helpful. Especially since I rarely encountered him in AC as well.

I have to be more patient and react to run up throws better, haha. Also I need to remember to YRC whenever I jump for one of Axl's moves in longer recovery. It's still difficult for me to remember to use it to help whiff punish, so I really need to work on that.

Ra1den

I found a cheap ps3 with a busted laser...got Xrd downloading on PSN right now. Hype!

Will be my first GG game I attempt to actually learn properly.

I hope this unmodded madcatz WWE stick is up to the task of this game's supposedly precise input requirements.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145603717]Good advice. I usually use the note one and just YRC it no matter what happens. But you're probably right about just going to the knockdown. I spend my entire life in training mode so I have a habit of making up smoke-and-mirrors resets.[/QUOTE]
Fixed because I know you, GB!

Ra1den

Are there any important concepts not covered in the tutorial that I should look up videos for? I'm a total GG noob.

FluxWaveZ

How is that even possible? What does this move do?

I mean worse in that it isn't as awesome. I haven't watched nearly enough good Zato-1 players, but I imagine that Great White isn't used by a lot of them because what it does is transform Eddie into an invincible shark that lunges at the opponent from the ground a number of times, based on how much of the Eddie meter is filled upon its activation. If Zato gets hit during it, it'll stop. And it'll always cause Eddie to have to recover before he can be used again when it ends.

I imagine better players will use the meter for better things, and that they would want to keep control of Eddie instead of that super. Asterius was cooler...

Are there any important concepts not covered in the tutorial that I should look up videos for? I'm a total GG noob.

Mission mode covers a lot of the advanced stuff that isn't covered in Tutorial mode.

4r5

GGs. First time I fought Axl in Xrd, so that was helpful. Especially since I rarely encountered him in AC as well.

I have to be more patient and react to run up throws better, haha. Also I need to remember to YRC whenever I jump for one of Axl's moves in longer recovery. It's still difficult for me to remember to use it to help whiff punish, so I really need to work on that.

Eating run up throws is a sign that you're being too defensive/reactive. Or too respectful.

With throws being instant, the granularity of "reacting" to a throw is completely out of the game. The scope is down to the individual player's mental ability to assess the situation and physical ability to execute on their controller. If this is not the kind of engagement that you enjoy, then you must be proactive in your defense against throws.

Atleast for raw throws. Any other situation will have throw protection in play, that adds "startup" to the throw.

Rhapsody

Banned
Eating run up throws is a sign that you're being too defensive/reactive. Or too respectful.

With throws being instant, the granularity of "reacting" to a throw is completely out of the game. The scope is down to the individual player's mental ability to assess the situation and physical ability to execute on their controller. If this is not the kind of engagement that you enjoy, then you must be proactive in your defense against throws.

Atleast for raw throws. Any other situation will have throw protection in play, that adds "startup" to the throw.

Definitely. I feel like my playstyle can be too much on defensive/reactive, and it turns up a notch on netplay which hurts even worse. I'll keep that all in mind, especially when I'm choosing Potemkin. My mind drifts even more that way with him, so I need to adjust.

just got the game and never played a gg game seriously. Any pointers? Started off with elph but not sure how to approach the neutral game.

Are the shotgun loops necessary or average level play?

edit

bah my LE came with damage sides. It wasn't a shipping issue... since the shipping box and the cover look fine.

fader

just got the game and never played a gg game seriously. Any pointers? Started off with elph but not sure how to approach the neutral game.

Are the shotgun loops necessary or average level play?

naw. if you are referring to corner shotgun loops, you don;t need them to play elph but you should learn them once you feel comfortable with the game and the character and see that you are moving to another level of play. For the time being, using her grenades in the corner and frame trap/punish with bridal express while the grenades will make it safe since its normally -5 on block or choose her 6P (overhead), or 2K (low) and doing simple combos after you throw the grenade should suffice.

As far as neutral, im not an Elph expert but her main neutral tool, when you are long range seems to be using her grenade while spacing with air Dust, use bridal express to move in to possible grenade hits to hit confirm, use air bridal express for punish (max distance in the air is safe)
when you are mid range, poke with far.S>5Sx5 or use far.S>Bridal Express if you feel comfortable getting in.

Azure J

Day 8

My execution is finally coming to me. I have basic air to air and anti-air combos down (in a lab environment) and I'm finally beginning to see how to apply myself (albeit extremely basically) in neutral with both Ramlethal & Elphet.

I definitely need more matches before I say anything decisively yet though.

naw. if you are referring to corner shotgun loops, you don;t need them to play elph but you should learn them once you feel comfortable with the game and the character and see that you are moving to another level of play. For the time being, using her grenades in the corner and frame trap/punish with bridal express while the grenades will make it safe since its normally -5 on block or choose her 6P (overhead), or 2K (low) and doing simple combos after you throw the grenade should suffice.

As far as neutral, im not an Elph expert but her main neutral tool, when you are long range seems to be using her grenade in neutral while spacing with air Dust, use bridal express to move in to possible grenade hits to hit confirm, use air bridal express for punish (max distance in the air is safe)
when you are mid range, poke with far.S>5Sx5 or use far.S>Bridal Express if you feel comfortable getting in.

hmmm ok. What is the rifle used for? seems a bit slow for traditional zoning

Top Bottom