• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

T.O.P

Banned
im gonna finish that first, will play more tomrow (I actually went to bed earlier, I only played like 1 hour today when I got it...damn you graveayrd shifts). But yeah I want to finish career first, and then never touch it again! :p

I liked what i played so far of the Life portion a lot

The scale of the stages and the crowd interaction is pretty damn good tbh, first set gets you really pumped up

And then the crowd started booing me and i almost felt my anxiety kick in, geegee GH

1. Yep...or at least I've seen it. Haven't tried.
2. Between both there are around 242 songs. 70 more will be coming soon, an extra channel will be added. Channels rotate genres every 30 minutes.
3. Yep. I started yesterday and barely made it to Level 4 and already have 25 tokens. To play a song of your choice, you only need 1.
4. That would be your best bet at the moment.

I've tried 2 players with different difficulties and I can confirm that it works. It's a bit confusing because it seems like you're picking both difficulties when you pause since I didn't see it saying that it was specific to that player, but apparently it adjusts for the player that paused.

antitrop

I've had to force myself not to play this today, as my left hand and fingers hurt so badly from the previous 3 days. I've really played the shit out of this game, got up to Level 17 in GHTV last night.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've had to force myself not to play this today, as my left hand and fingers hurt so badly from the previous 3 days. I've really played the shit out of this game, got up to Level 17 in GHTV last night.

soon youll need a new avatar but it won't be the eyes bleeding

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I have to say the Live stages are really well made. Many many neat details to see.

Yeah I totally agree. At first I was little bit unsure of how I would like it in the long run but it's been pretty cool to see all of the details going on. I laugh everytime me or a buddy messes up and the crowd or band members just give you the stink eye haha.

I really fucking love this game.

Yaari

Amazon.de atleast finally managed to charge my Credit Card. Too much shit with this Skrill card. Once I get the money for the failed transaction back, I'm getting something different.

Raonak

Banned
So do you think this game will actually get any real DLC?

I really want the ability to freely replay songs I like.

DarkOneX

Advanced makes my head hurt, all these mixed black/white notes are a pain.

Ya, some of the slower songs are ok but so many are almost too hard. Almost feels to me like there needs to be another difficulty in between Normal and Advanced. Also doesn't help that the buttons on this guitar are so finnicky and sometimes when trying to do fast switches they kinda get bound up. The RB4 guitar never has this trouble, you can tell the GHL one isn't made near as well at least on the buttons.

OK now I'm having the double strum issue everyone is talking about. I can test it out by going to a menu, and sometimes it will click two spaces when I strum instead of one. This is so someting they can fix, right? Seems to be pretty widespread.

aro52

It sounds more like they'll just keep adding channels and songs to GHTV. Being able to "buy" individual songs would probably require new licensing agreements. GHTV is similar to a Spotify streaming license.

Hawk269

Man, still can't decide if I want this since I already have RB4.

I have RB4 as well and still bought GH and love it. RB4 is great, song selection is so much better and a lot more songs in the Store. When you buy a song, you pretty much can play it and restart it whenever you want. What I love about GH is that it is really different than the traditional style that RB4 is. In short, if GH had a song store and they had the amount of songs that RB4 has and you could have those songs on your HDD to play whenever it would be incredible.

Both games are worth it for me...right now me and my wife are playing a lot more GH at the moment mainly cause we have 2 guitars for it. But RB4 has U2, a ton of Pearl Jam, Rush and The Who, where GH only has 1 Pearl Jam song, 1 Rush song etc.. GH is very limited in big acts and having multiple songs from them.

Based on how GH works with the on-line, the band would have to have a video for the song for it to be on there which to me limits song selection from a lot of bands.

Hawk269

1. Yep...or at least I've seen it. Haven't tried.
2. Between both there are around 242 songs. 70 more will be coming soon, an extra channel will be added. Channels rotate genres every 30 minutes.
3. Yep. I started yesterday and barely made it to Level 4 and already have 25 tokens. To play a song of your choice, you only need 1.
4. That would be your best bet at the moment.

We ran into an issue last night with song rotation on the channels. We were on channel 2 for 90 minutes and we had 10 songs in that time repeat. To me that is an issue. With the amount of songs, getting a "few" repeats I understand, but 10 in 90 minutes was just way too much. It could be that the genre we were in just didn't have a big selection so it was forced to repeat.

Any word on when these 70 more songs are being added?

fernoca

We ran into an issue last night with song rotation on the channels. We were on channel 2 for 90 minutes and we had 10 songs in that time repeat. To me that is an issue. With the amount of songs, getting a "few" repeats I understand, but 10 in 90 minutes was just way too much. It could be that the genre we were in just didn't have a big selection so it was forced to repeat.

Any word on when these 70 more songs are being added?
That's a weird issue. Could be related to it being a demo and have a smaller selection, the last day of the demo according to the Best Buy site is tomorrow.

Had no problems in here during the 3 hours I played yesterday. It changes genres every half hour, so even if the selection was small in a genre, in 90 minutes should've changed to something else. Or you could, did you tried changing to channel 1?

No word on date, maybe this upcoming week since the game is barely 3 days old.

TheGrue

I've hit Level 10 in GHTV and I think I've only played a repeat twice. Seems pretty good about not playing the same stuff over and over.

gar3

Bought the dual guitar bundle today at Best Buy for Xbox One but it looks like I'll have to RMA the first guitar :-/ I noticed even playing on casual I was missing far too many notes the first couple of songs but the dead giveaway was during playing of long single notes I would error out right in the middle of 'em. Going over to guitar two features none of those issues and I can easily 100% everything in casual. I don't believe it has anything to do with the buttons. More likely the USB dongle or maybe the wireless transmitter inside the guitar. Who knows. Sigh.

FrsDvl

I've hit Level 10 in GHTV and I think I've only played a repeat twice. Seems pretty good about not playing the same stuff over and over.

It's pretty good yeah, i've done a handful of songs two or three times and i'm at level 12, but it's to be expected really.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but:

With the black + white single note-combination, are you supposed to hold the black and white fret down with the same finger or do you use two fingers as you would with two notes side by side, but in a vertical position?

Because I'm doing the first option and it's not really working because I can't seem to press both hard enough with just one finger.

Played my Wii U copy a bit yesterday and it's pretty fun. I love all the over-enthusiastic actors in GH Live and the non-stop playing music of GHTV is really neat. Guitar feels solid.

My only problem right now is the black row of buttons. Not necessarily switching between the two rows, but reaching it with my fingers in the first place. I have a really hard time with that, and often hit the white button too causing it to count it as a [whatever you call a press of both]. Not sure if I'm not holding it right or if I just need to get used to it.

Otherwise having a lot of fun
on casual difficulty..

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

no it wont. People need to accept that this is what the game is, for better or worse

I feel like this is a dumb question, but:

With the black + white single note-combination, are you supposed to hold the black and white fret down with the same finger or do you use two fingers as you would with two notes side by side, but in a vertical position?

Because I'm doing the first option and it's not really working because I can't seem to press both hard enough with just one finger.

You want to use one whole finger, not just the fingertip. Maybe you are holding the guitar at an unfavorable angle? Because the buttons really should not be too hard to press for that.

Rhaknar

went into GHTV, followed the little tutorial etc, bought the 10 plays as the dude wanted me to do, bought 1 song to try it, American Idiot by Greenday, then I was done with the little tutorial for now and I was going to back out to continue my Live career...

...except Chop Suey was playing. Well, I gots to play Chop Suey right?

so I play Chop Suey, and im like "ok back to the campaign..."

...except Cowboys From Hell was next. Well I gots to play Cowboys From Hell right?

please save me lol

went into GHTV, followed the little tutorial etc, bought the 10 plays as the dude wanted me to do, bought 1 song to try it, American Idiot by Greenday, then I was done with the little tutorial for now and I was going to back out to continue my Live career...

...except Chop Suey was playing. Well, I gots to play Chop Suey right?

so I play Chop Suey, and im like "ok back to the campaign..."

...except Cowboys From Hell was next. Well I gots to play Cowboys From Hell right?

please save me lol
There's is a trophy for playing one channel for a straight hour and I fear that it might be the easiest to get in the game. Ended up buying the Rise Against packs for Rock Band after Satellite came on GHTV. Not the intended consequence, sure but it's one of the perks of owning both game. I bought the Racontuers pack after a COD:AW advert as well.

I was wondering this too and it seems like you can't? Seems like at the very least they could put you on the same scoreboard as your friends but I couldn't find anything in the menus.
Rivals Mode is stated to be released fairly soon. That should be your online play with friends.

Rhaknar

I like the idea of new highways but not sure about the avenged sevenfold one they give you

Hazaku

I picked this up today and I'm really surprised at how much I like it already.

My only gripe with it so far is not being able to skip the short pre performance videos you get when playing live tracks. But apart from that ... probably my sleeper hit of the year!

FEEL RUSTY HAVING TO PLAY THIS ON REGULAR THOUGH

Rhaknar

that moment when you are playing regular and you think "alright alright I got the hang of switching between white and black notes"

00a57366-2231-49a7-b9da-41a28dc98584.gif

and the songs start throwing mixed white and black botes (not the power cords on the same collum, I mean on seperate "roads" on the highway)

u4R6tD.gif

;_;

Hazaku

^^
LMAO

I felt like that too after playing that Good Charlotte track on regular for like 4 hours ... tryna FC it.
Then I tried Girl's Not Grey :(

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Okay earlier in the year I thought I was going to be buying Rock Band but that track list did not impress me, I'm going out to buy Guitar Hero today -.-

Can't fucking wait to play some more guitar hero.

Rhaknar

yo that hippie ass fake band lol

I dont know any of those actual song bands but I can picture them all looking like the fake one :p

deoee

So I just bought a Guitar upgrade for 6000 credits, shop gave me an error. Tried again, said "not enough" credits.
Now after one song the credits seem to have upgraded to -6000 but the upgrade is not in my posession?
WHAT?

OK. It updated but hell - that shocked me :D

I had to put the Vivid Screams setlist on casual in order to get 5 stars and an awesome crowd rating. Halestorm kicks my ass every time. =(

yo that hippie ass fake band lol

I dont know any of those actual song bands but I can picture them all looking like the fake one :p
Portland Cloud Orchestra was so good. It's a shame they only had one set to play.

TheExodu5

Banned
Loving the game, but a few things are holding it back from it being great.

1) The guitar is terrible. My 1-black fret is squeaky as hell. The wireless dongle is really bad...it occasionally suffers from interference and my strums will lag for good portions of some songs.

2) Calibration. Let me set values myself instead of relying on vague auto-calibration. Even after I've calibrated it, it still feels like there's more lag than even Rock Band PS3 (and PS3 has innate input lag that PS4 shouldn't have, so I expected this to be better than that).

3) No ability to play with friends online.

4) No ability to compare scores with friends.

Besides that, I'm not completely sure how I feel about the new button layout. On one hand, it's something new to learn and makes simpler rythm songs a lot more fun. On the other hand, I feel like it's not very intuitive and the skill ceiling might just be too high on Expert. I don't know if I'll realistically be able to sight read anything on Expert, regardless of my play time. Bar chords really throw a wrench into the whole thing, especially when combined with other notes.

1) The guitar is terrible. My 1-black fret is squeaky as hell. The wireless dongle is really bad...it occasionally suffers from interference and my strums will lag for good portions of some songs.

2) Calibration. Let me set values myself instead of relying on vague auto-calibration. Even after I've calibrated it, it still feels like there's more lag than even Rock Band PS3 (and PS3 has innate input lag that PS4 shouldn't have, so I expected this to be better than that).

Besides that, I'm not completely sure how I feel about the new button layout. On one hand, it's something new to learn and makes simpler rythm songs a lot more fun. On the other hand, I feel like it's not very intuitive and the skill ceiling might just be too high on Expert. I don't know if I'll realistically be able to sight read anything on Expert, regardless of my play time. Bar chords really throw a wrench into the whole thing, especially when combined with other notes.
This is not normal. I would return the unit and get another one.

luffeN

that moment when you are playing regular and you think "alright alright I got the hang of switching between white and black notes"

00a57366-2231-49a7-b9da-41a28dc98584.gif

and the songs start throwing mixed white and black botes (not the power cords on the same collum, I mean on seperate "roads" on the highway)

u4R6tD.gif

;_;

Exactly, haha! I think they should add a section where you play the different chords in a jam session. I don't like the symbols for white and black notes. When you have to press white 2 and black 2 together, the symbol for it is perfect. I would be better to use that symbol and only highlight black or white instead of the pick/plectrum. EDIT: Explanation: Because if you match the note symbols with what the buttons on the guitar kinda look like (rectangles) I think it would be easier for hand/eye coordination.

But you can? Apart from the gameplay calibration there is one calibration option where you hear a sound and see a circle along a line from left to right.

That's only the audio/video sync. It doesn't let you set the game calibration manually.

Not a huge deal, since I found a setting that somewhat works for me in the end, but I do prefer being able to manually increment until I find the perfect values.
Ah, now I understand. Yeah. When I was turning game calibration on I was wondering why I couldn't adjust anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
But you can? Apart from the gameplay calibration there is one calibration option where you hear a sound and see a circle along a line from left to right.

That's only the audio/video sync. It doesn't let you set the game calibration manually.

Not a huge deal, since I found a setting that somewhat works for me in the end, but I do prefer being able to manually increment until I find the perfect values.

deoee

Button Layout is way more intuitive and natural than the 5 colored buttons we had before.
It's just way harder to master but in the end feels more rewarding if you nail a part :)

luffeN

Button Layout is way more intuitive and natural than the 5 colored buttons we had before.
It's just way harder to master but in the end feels more rewarding if you nail a part :)

All in all I also like jumping around with the fingers and hit different chords to the strumming, feels so good.

Catabu

Neo Member
Hey guys. Got the game today for my ps4 and it's pretty great!

Got a problem though:

I started gh TV and did the first part of the tutorial. But I'm stuck now on the second song (which I guess is part of the introduction as well) and after finishing it (and sucking hard in the process) I get a connection error (Shale) again and again. I'm stuck now on this second song and all I can do is play it again and again with the same results.

I looked the error code up and did what I was told to do with no effect. I even opened all ports in my router for my ps4 to check if something weird with ports was going on, but that didn't help either. I'm using WiFi and never had problems with any game before when using online modes. Can't be weak connection because the ps4 is at about the perfect distance from my router with no walls in the way.

Any ideas? Don't wanna play ZZ Top forever.

Sh0k

Got the game a couple of days ago and really enjoying it. Is everybody's volume way too low, no matter what I do, the volume is very weak. I have to raise the volume in my receiver to almost double of what I normally have it setup while playing regular games. I have the game for PS4 and it is setup to play with sorround apeakers.

Got the game a couple of days ago and really enjoying it. Is everybody's volume way too low, no matter what I do, the volume is very weak. I have to raise the volume in my receiver to almost double of what I normally have it setup while playing regular games. I have the game for PS4 and it is setup to play with sorround apeakers.

I'm having loads of problems with the sound, it's awful, playing through TV speakers. Volume is way too low, I've had to turn my TV up to twice as much as regular games like you. And then when the guy pops up to tell you what you've unlocked when you level up I can hardly hear him at all over the music. And then there are a bunch of songs where the vocals are just totally fucked, like I can barely hear them at all over the music, as if the mix is totally messed up - I get that's it's a guitar focussed game but I'd rather they didn't fuck with stuff like that. Pedestrian at Best is my favourite song of the whole year and it's totally butchered in this, almost unlistenable. There was something else that really stood out too but I can't remember what it was.

Top Bottom