• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Hmm ok. Well that's really strange then because tonight is the first time I've seen this happen, and also, you'd think it would show you at the end what difficulty people are playing on so you at least had some idea why you were getting beaten.

If you just watch a song instead of playing it, it tells you at the end what difficulty everyone was playing on because the leaderboard is displayed differently.

Which isn't really any less stupid I guess. There's definitely different difficulties present though.

Guerrilla

I got mine yesterday, but have yet to play GTTV since it just sits at connecting to servers, tried yesterday and today.
Does anyone else have that Problem? (Xbox One with NXOE)

deoee

Most disturbing GHTV video?

Has to be White Denim
TadkV.gif

Just played the Avenged Sevenfold premium show. It's so weird, the songs are in the wrong order so it starts out at dusk, then it's dark, then it's light again. Would it have been that hard just to play them the right way around?

I like the points scoring at the end, though, that was pretty cool. Kinda annoying that there's no indication that you've played it though. The setlist screen has little tick-boxes on it which don't do anything, I guess, so why are they there?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Jesus I just played for at least a solid 90 minutes, where the hell does the time go?
I forgot about Guitar Hero Hangover, the walls are still melting...

Most disturbing GHTV video?

Has to be White Denim
TadkV.gif

Haha, my girlfriend said "I don't like how busy everything is in the background" when that song was on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah nice.

Is there any way to know which blocks have which songs so that you can play the songs you need to play the premium set lists?

It's kind of annoying that you have to play each song first before you can play the actual set. (Well, unless you pay money I guesS)

Also, maybe I missed this, but I wish there was a way to mark favourites while you''re playing a song in GH Live.

darkbanjo

Anyone else had one fret button just stop working out of the blue?

It's the number 3 fret on the black row. I restarted my console afterwards and noticed that the New Xbox One Experience had just installed. Have there been any reports of it causing problems with Guitar Hero controllers like it did the Rock Band guitars?

T.O.P

Banned
Just moved from Regular to Advanced, i'm doing better than expected tbh (for my standards ofc)

Main problem for me still it that, thinking of the old GH, if i missed one note for bad positioning i could get back into the track flow almost immediately, here if i make even the minimal mistake i'm 99% sure of missing the next 5-10 notes, like total black out

It's probalbly just the new guitar layout still fucking my muscle memory but holy shit it's disorienting at time

Also, GHTV <3 <3 <3

Ah nice.

Is there any way to know which blocks have which songs so that you can play the songs you need to play the premium set lists?

It's kind of annoying that you have to play each song first before you can play the actual set. (Well, unless you pay money I guesS)

Also, maybe I missed this, but I wish there was a way to mark favourites while you''re playing a song in GH Live.

That and a missing display of the actual track length / track progress are the only things that bother me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
switched to Advanced, played Cowboys From Hell... yeah, back to regular for me >_>

I suck :(

npanciroli

Neo Member
The setlist screen has little tick-boxes on it which don't do anything, I guess, so why are they there?

This is really bugging me. Also the low sound and how it takes forever to show if I have bronze silver or gold on a song in the play list.

Otherwise so addicted and loving it.

I think whoever said there were no stems in GHTV in the pre-OT thread was wrong. A) the Edge article about the game said they got stems in addition to the music videos and b) it seems to me that if you let go of a fret button during a long note only the guitar track cuts out.

I think whoever said there were no stems in GHTV in the pre-OT thread was wrong. A) the Edge article about the game said they got stems in addition to the music videos and b) it seems to me that if you let go of a fret button during a long note only the guitar track cuts out.

They've certainly got vocals on a different track because some of them are properly fucked up. They needed to in order to censor them, probably.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Okay so far the only problem I have is the difficult curve. Say just now I could fly through Before I Forget on advanced, give it a go on expert and holy fuck that's some whole other level. Getting those quick barre chords going is bloody hard. Still haven't got used to the other 2-row chords yet but still the difference in difficulty between the 2 was insane.

I'm getting the hang of this guitar. Every time I think I'm hitting a snag, somehow I wrap my head around it after a while.

Like those black and white notes next to eachother. Couldn't figure it out at first, but once it clicks, it's really fun to do these high and low combinations.

Also why is that Avril Lavigne song so catchy.

Okay so far the only problem I have is the difficult curve. Say just now I could fly through Before I Forget on advanced, give it a go on expert and holy fuck that's some whole other level. Getting those quick barre chords going is bloody hard. Still haven't got used to the other 2-row chords yet but still the difference in difficulty between the 2 was insane.

I've not ventured into Expert just yet as I had my arise kicked by King for a Day and Bones Exposed on the Blavkout Conspiracy set.

Bar 1 Black 2, into Bar 1 White 2, into White 1 Black 2 is far to much for my brain to cope with.

If you told me a few years ago that a Fall Out Boy song would be this game's first track and it would be a great first I would have probably called you an idiot. But as an introduction to the game it's great, and I would probably rank it as one of the better ways to kick a game off. It's not my favourite song, but as a way to kick off a career mode there's not much better across GH/RB except perhaps For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Man this game is gonna have a long learning curve, two days in and still on regular. I have to actively think about not thinking about what I'm doing to wrap my head around some of the trickier note combinations because if I think too hard my years of RB/GH kick in and I get all messed up. Also my fingers hurt like hell.

But this game is super fun and GHTV is probably the best thing to happen to rhythm games for a casual player like me.

The more I play GHTV, the more the mixes piss me off. Have they turned the vocals down on every single song? I just played the Kids Aren't Alright by the Offspring and it just sounds like total shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man this game is gonna have a long learning curve, two days in and still on regular. I have to actively think about not thinking about what I'm doing to wrap my head around some of the trickier note combinations because if I think too hard my years of RB/GH kick in and I get all messed up. Also my fingers hurt like hell.

But this game is super fun and GHTV is probably the best thing to happen to rhythm games for a casual player like me.

yup. If we could return games where I live, I would to be honest. This has NOTHING to do with the game, I think its great, but a mix of me not getting any younger, me working a graveyard shift job that leaves me tired all the time, and lets face, me never having been that good at the game (I never went past Hard on previous games) and having little time to play games / get good at them these days, I can already tell Ill probably not play this much, and wont go past regular.

oh well, whats done is done, game seems great and Ill have my Regular fun now and then I guess

The more I play GHTV, the more the mixes piss me off. Have they turned the vocals down on every single song? I just played the Kids Aren't Alright by the Offspring and it just sounds like total shit.
Can you bump up the volume on your center speaker? That may help.

yup. If we could return games where I live, I would to be honest. This has NOTHING to do with the game, I think its great, but a mix of me not getting any younger, me working a graveyard shift job that leaves me tired all the time, and lets face, me never having been that good at the game (I never went past Hard on previous games) and having little time to play games / get good at them these days, I can already tell Ill probably not play this much, and wont go past regular.

oh well, whats done is done, game seems great and Ill have my Regular fun now and then I guess
Nothing wrong with playing on Regular as long as you're having fun. I play regular on all these games, there's always too much of a difficulty curve for me to go one step up.

Smarty86

Okay, her are my impressions after playing a few hours live and till level 9 on TV (PS4) :

pro:
- New fret layout feels great, time to learn again, but not from scratch :)
- GHTV with instant MP is totally addictive
- awesome song selection in GHTV
- Premium Shows are fun
- Realistic Background in Live Mode rather than that stupid stick figure cartoon rubbish

con:
- massive problems when syncing two guitars (frets are missed out by both players, seems like interference issues or something), in SP it is fine
- 5,99 Euro for a day pass, which can not be bought by ingame currency??? Just wtf!? If they don't change this or reduce the price drastically i will sell it for sure
- Local MP really bad. Progress of second player is not saved. Because else he would also get free plays? $$$, or what is the reason for this? Also ,no MM against other online opponents. Local Mp only in TV and Quickplay.
- Song selection in Live Mode bad
- Only two channels in GHTV with subgenres beeing played, which leads to very repetitive tracklist. I only played a few hours and played a few songs already three or four times
- Plays are earned at a far too slow rate for my taste, i really don't hope they become too greedy with their microtransaction stuff.

After all, this game is great fun, but there is a lot that needs to be fixed in my opinion.

Rhaknar

Do songs you finish with a Play token count to unlock the Premium shows?

songs you finish in any mode count. I have 2/3 of one of the premium show songs needed cleared, and I never used a token, so I must have played them...somewhere

Can you bump up the volume on your center speaker? That may help.

I'm playing through the TV speakers, but I've never had issues like this in any other music game. The overall volume is fine, it's solely the vocals that are dulled to hell.

Yes they do.

However, in my experience the premium shows have to be unlocked every time you want to play them. Aside from the always open Avenged Sevenfold concert.

That makes sense, otherwise once you'd played all the songs in GHTV one time there'd never be another locked Premium show ever again.

fernoca

Yep. I've been playing this games since tbe very first one on PS2, back when it wasn't even well known.

Casual (or equivalent which was Easy -not the easiest one, which you could hit any note) difficulty, turned hyperspeed on and thought I'd get better with time...

Then GHII, GHIII, World Tour, GH5, Warriors of Rock, Aerosmith, Metallica, Band Hero, Rock Band, RB2, RB3, Lego RB, Green Day RB, The Beatles (and even both DJ Gero games, the 3 On Tour/DS games, the 2 RB DS games, RB Unplugged on PSP, RB Blitz)...

...all in the casual/equivalent, only using 3 fingers. XD

With Live, I though I'd finally break that trend, since the buttons are placed with 3 fingers in mind...

NOPE!

So, I'm loving this game and I'll continue with my simpler/3 fingers difficulties in this games, just accepted that fact. So fun, so great, the music's awesome and help me discover new ones. Plus the videos in here make things even better. XD

Yep. I've been playing this games since tbe very first one on PS2, back when it wasn't even well known.

Casual (or equivalent which was Easy -not the easiest one, which you could hit any note) difficulty, turned hyperspeed on and thought I'd get better with time...

Then GHII, GHIII, World Tour, GH5, Warriors of Rock, Aerosmith, Metallica, Band Hero, Rock Band, RB2, RB3, Lego RB, Green Day RB, The Beatles (and even both DJ Gero games, the 3 On Tour/DS games, the 2 RB DS games, RB Unplugged on PSP, RB Blitz)...

...all in the casual/equivalent, only using 3 fingers. XD

With Live, I though I'd finally break that trend, since the buttons are placed with 3 fingers in mind...

NOPE!

So, I'm loving this game and I'll continue with my simpler/3 fingers difficulties in this games, just accepted that fact. So fun, so great, the music's awesome and help me discover new ones. Plus the videos in here make things even better. XD

Same here, even though I'm slowly getting used to playing on regular, just reaching to the black buttons (especially when you have to press button 1 and 3 together) makes my hand hurt like crazy, so I'm mostly playing on casual right now. Doubt I'll go past regular anytime soon, but I'm definitely having a lot of fun, especially with GHTV.

By the way, I've never played a GH game before, so I'm wondering: Are you supposed to strum slightly after the notes line up? It seems like the game almost always counts a miss when I strum slightly before they line up, but when I strum a little while afterwards it almost always counts as a hit.

By the way, I've never played a GH game before, so I'm wondering: Are you supposed to strum slightly after the notes line up? It seems like the game almost always counts a miss when I strum slightly before they line up, but when I strum a little while afterwards it almost always counts as a hit.

You have the same time before and after the note. The most important thing is to spend enough time into calibration, so everything lines up with the sound as good as possible. That lowers the difficulty a lot.

gar3

Attempted to RMA my one broken dongle from my dual guitar bundle and it isn't going so well. I received a RMA number via e-mail but no shipping label nor instructions on how or what to return with the dongle. Going on the official forums it appears I'm not alone with my RMA issue. Placed my own post in the appropriate forum area concerning my missing RMA information; however, it has yet to be approved for posting yet by a moderator :-/

I RMA-ed two different Guitar Hero drum sets last generation and never had near as much issues with those as I have had so far with this little dongle.

Yaari

Think Amazon.de refunded me another 15 EUR because the game dropped from 95 to 80. They already had a 15 EUR discount coupon when I placed an order. Weird.

Juice

I'm loving this game. Haven't played an instruments game since Rock Band Beatles.

The new streaming format and video heavy single player is perfect for me. "Owning" thirty tracks was so fucking boring for me. I just want to toodle along with a wide variety of music, I don't care about perfecting everything. I'm sure I'll always have more than enough play credits, too.

So at least for how I'd like to play it, this is great for me.

Rhaknar

just did the avanged sevenfold premium thing and also the other premium thing with disturbed and queen and something else (I already had 2 of the 3 songs "done" from GHTV I guess

Im so torn on regular, some songs it feels great and fun, not too hard but not too easy (well for noobs) but then some songs are just ultra boring (we are the champions for example).

Also I wish regular (or normal in past games) had more notes. I hate when a song is clearly missing notes, they should do it so it had the same amount of notes, only its the single ones which are easy to hit, and harder difficulties would have the multiple buton ones.

I also think Hard in previous games (and Rock Band) was a better step up compared to Advanced here, it introduced the orange note but that was about it, most of the time it didnt have 3 button combinations or anything

Here Advanced jumps to crazy multi note, crossed finger stuff way too soon / much.

Coming from a noob of course

TFW when you hop on a GHTV channel mid-song and still get first place.

Maybe it's some kind of Stockholm Syndrome (would be a sick song for GHTV btw), but I'm actually starting to like and be okay with Guitar Upgrades being a thing. Gives me something to grind towards for a looong time, giving me reason to keep playing GHTV even if I'm starting to see a lot of repeat songs.

TFW when you hop on a GHTV channel mid-song and still get first place.

Maybe it's some kind of Stockholm Syndrome (would be a sick song for GHTV btw), but I'm actually starting to like and be okay with Guitar Upgrades being a thing. Gives me something to grind towards for a looong time, giving me reason to keep playing GHTV even if I'm starting to see a lot of repeat songs.

I'd buy a 1000 play tokens and never play a different song again, lol.

ascully

I'm having loads of problems with the sound, it's awful, playing through TV speakers. Volume is way too low, I've had to turn my TV up to twice as much as regular games like you. And then when the guy pops up to tell you what you've unlocked when you level up I can hardly hear him at all over the music. And then there are a bunch of songs where the vocals are just totally fucked, like I can barely hear them at all over the music, as if the mix is totally messed up - I get that's it's a guitar focussed game but I'd rather they didn't fuck with stuff like that. Pedestrian at Best is my favourite song of the whole year and it's totally butchered in this, almost unlistenable. There was something else that really stood out too but I can't remember what it was.

Try changing audio options to night mode, it seems to help a lot

MajorTom

I just watched the Giant bomb quick look and instantly bought it.
It's £65 on Zavvi at the moment if anyone's looking for a good price.

Guitar hero tv looks really cool. It's not far off what I imagine rhythm games will evolve into some day. Surprised Rock band doesn't have something similar to be honest.

How is the microphone stuff in this? Is it worse than rock band in that respect?

I haven't played a rhythm game since rock band 2 so I don't know how to better phrase this question. Something about this game being mainly guitar focused?

The plan is for me to play guitar and my fiancee to do vocals. Thanks.

Defect

Finally picked up the game last night after work. Jesus my brain gets so confused on some expert songs.

Great game though!

Top Bottom