• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

I don't like the headstock either, but I liked everything else about it. Even has adjustable saddles on it so I could put a wound third on (I'm weird).

Here's one of my Les Pauls, a Greco, from yesterday after I was done playing in the afternoon sunshine:

Nice. Why did you put the strings on the tailpiece in reverse?

To keep the the strings from hitting the back of the bridge with the stop tail screwed all the way down. Having the stop-tail all the way down is something some cork-sniffers will tell you need to do. I really don't think it makes much of a difference to the sound of the guitar.

This Les Paul is set up this way, my other Les Paul and a Tune-O-Matic equipped semi-hollowbody are not.

Jimmy Page, Joe Bonamassa, Duane Allman all have/had Les Pauls set up this way, and I recall a Gibson ad from the '50s that had the stop-tail this way.

Try it, though you will scratch the plating on the tail-piece if there is any. Also, I needed to use spare ball ends as spacers on the bass strings.

Wound 3rd ftw. But I use flatwounds (I'm weird).

I have flatwounds on the semi-hollowbody above; rounds on everything else.

It's supposed to make bends easier.

It does, due to break angle and/or amount of string between the ball and the saddle. I don't really have trouble with the other guitars I own, though.

I bought a cheap banjo. My quest to be half-assed at a variety of stringed instruments continues!

j6ms98fVxSys1.JPG

bart jr

Neo Member
Thats right man. I feel like the SG was built for lower tones, specially with a good creamy fuzz.

I agree with you. I have the same guitar and have always played it in "D Standard", and over the last few months have been playing in Drop C. I love it. Here's my setup:

529995_478624215489137_802439730_n.jpg

LordAlu

A little question for you gentleman - I've not played guitar for eight or so years now and I sold my old basic Squire. I've now got a bit more time on my hands than usual and I'd like to get back into playing so it's guitar purchasing time, but I'm having a little trouble finding something I like.

I'm stuck between going used or new as well. For example, I've found a Vintage Metal Axxe that I like the look and feel of for £90 used, or I could pick up a new guitar from Dawsons thanks to £70 of vouchers I have here. Does anyone have any recommendations for me to go try for the £250 or under range - as much as I'd like to spend more I'm running on limited finances? :(

Bored, tired of Winter, restless... time to buy another rig (because, you can never have too many guitars)

Went out and grabbed a couple pieces of kit I've wanted for a long time but never quite nabbed... Had to drive to Montreal for both acquisitions... An Ibanez JS1000 and a Budda SD-30. These guys kick ass together! I'm looking at this pic of the guitar and I realize I've been playing it like a madman since I bought it but I haven't cleaned it once yet... lol...

CAMy8IR.jpg

A little question for you gentleman - I've not played guitar for eight or so years now and I sold my old basic Squire. I've now got a bit more time on my hands than usual and I'd like to get back into playing so it's guitar purchasing time, but I'm having a little trouble finding something I like.

I'm stuck between going used or new as well. For example, I've found a Vintage Metal Axxe that I like the look and feel of for £90 used, or I could pick up a new guitar from Dawsons thanks to £70 of vouchers I have here. Does anyone have any recommendations for me to go try for the £250 or under range - as much as I'd like to spend more I'm running on limited finances? :(

Well, you're always going to get better bang for your buck used, but it helps to know what you're looking for and you often have to budget in a setup/fret-dress on your purchase... From what I know of Vintage (there aren't many of them to be found over here), they make a really decent guitar for the money, so that might be a great deal... For new guitars at your price point, you're looking at Made in China guitars from Ibanez, Yamaha and ESP/LTD from Dawsons - all of these guitars will be of relatively the same quality so it comes down to which you prefer in terms of feel and look... I would suggest looking at guitars that are more "conservatively" designed (as opposed to a V or a Mockingbird, for instance) - the standard instruments are standards for a reason; they have stood the test of time - but really, it's your axe and you should have what makes you want to play... Whenever you buy new you should try and get a free setup and fret-dress with the purchase (along with new strings, of course) - that can be a significant added value when buying new...

I don't play myself but my bro is a pretty darn good guitarist and has been featured on the past few Michael Angelo albums so I figured GAF might appreciate this. Here is a solo of his that will be on his new album: https://soundcloud.com/guitarbp-1.

Hey I met this guy in Florida a few years ago. Great player! And hell of a nice guy. I bought one of his CDs and he ended up giving me one his DVDs for free.

So you are his twin then, and ex-models? *Mind-blown* :)

Meier

Hey I met this guy in Florida a few years ago. Great player! And hell of a nice guy. I bought one of his CDs and he ended up giving me one his DVDs for free.

So you are his twin then, and ex-models? *Mind-blown* :)

Haha, I am actually the twins' younger brother (there are 4 boys in our family). Sadly I was never a model like Bill and Dave (the other twin). Very cool that you bought one of his CDs before though! He used to practice 9 hours a day in the room next to mine so I'm glad it paid off.

Haha, I am actually the twins' younger brother (there are 4 boys in our family). Sadly I was never a model like Bill and Dave (the other twin). Very cool that you bought one of his CDs before though! He used to practice 9 hours a day in the room next to mine so I'm glad it paid off.

it's cool to know one of his brothers is a gaffer :) I wish your brother the best success....he seems to be doing really well for himself, esp having friends like Batio and Tremonti to jam with 8-0

Speaking of guitars, my new Suhr I bought for myself a few months ago...

PMm.jpg

Blue Submarine - really nice Satch axe! I love the way they feel. They feel little more meaty and vintage, and nice change from flat radius and jumbo frets that usually see from Ibanez. The split coils are sweet.

Blue Submarine - really nice Satch axe! I love the way they feel. They feel little more meaty and vintage, and nice change from flat radius and jumbo frets that usually see from Ibanez. The split coils are sweet.
Thanks Botox... Ya, the JS has a much softer, easier neck than a Jem or RG; I owned a couple Jems in the '90s and played the snot outta them, but when my arthritus started to take hold, I found the flat radius combined with the flat back of the Wizard profile just aggrivated things too much... Now I've adopted a sort of hooked-hand, thumb over style that lets me play a lot more comfortably, and smallish, round necks like the JS or the PRS Standard carve work reallly well for me... The bridge pickup is really interesting on this guitar - very mid-focused and poppy, without being strong at all... almost like a cross between a humbucker and a single coil... And ya, the single coil tones are quite nice for tapped 'buckers...

That's a beautiful Suhr! Does it have the Feiten tuning system?

Clockwork5

I took this photo when I picked up this gear about a year ago.

Vox - AC15 (beautiful tone for a small amp and still enough power to piss off my neighbors)

Fender American Deluxe Stratocastor (What else needs to be said? This instrument is perfect)

*And a piece of garbage fender 212-R in the background... Terrible Amp.

pXgpZDzl.jpg

Thanks Botox... Ya, the JS has a much softer, easier neck than a Jem or RG; I owned a couple Jems in the '90s and played the snot outta them, but when my arthritus started to take hold, I found the flat radius combined with the flat back of the Wizard profile just aggrivated things too much... Now I've adopted a sort of hooked-hand, thumb over style that lets me play a lot more comfortably, and smallish, round necks like the JS or the PRS Standard carve work reallly well for me... The bridge pickup is really interesting on this guitar - very mid-focused and poppy, without being strong at all... almost like a cross between a humbucker and a single coil... And ya, the single coil tones are quite nice for tapped 'buckers...

That's a beautiful Suhr! Does it have the Feiten tuning system?

For this Suhr, it doesn't have a Feiten tuning system. I have that on my Nuno N4 and my Suhr Classic Pro C1. I'm not really a fan of it tbh as I find it easier to tune on the fly with the old way. The Suhr modern is such resonant beast, and the lightest guitar i own. It does vintage/mid gain stuff really well.

Yeah, I have a few RGs, the Wizard necks I also found to be uncomfortable for like Hendrix or cowboy chords stuff. I really do wish Ibanez started incorporating more fatter necks on their line.

Clockwork5

I need some advice on overdrive pedals. I am in a surf rock / flamenco band and primarily play solos and complimentary licks as well as some rhythm. I have an American Deluxe Strat and a Vox-AC15 (pictured a couple posts above). My current pedal set up is pretty simple. DD9 delay, Crybaby wah, and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I love my Ibanez Tube Screamer but it is a little "metaly" for the band. I would like some suggestions on overdrive pedals guys! I will be going to Guitar Center to test out some pedals this weekend (I will then go to my local guitar shop to make the purchase, of course.)

I need some advice on overdrive pedals. I am in a surf rock / flamenco band and primarily play solos and complimentary licks as well as some rhythm. I have an American Deluxe Strat and a Vox-AC15 (pictured a couple posts above). My current pedal set up is pretty simple. DD9 delay, Crybaby wah, and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I love my Ibanez Tube Screamer but it is a little "metaly" for the band. I would like some suggestions on overdrive pedals guys! I will be going to Guitar Center to test out some pedals this weekend (I will then go to my local guitar shop to make the purchase, of course.)

what do you mean exactly by "metaly"? Tube Screamers are rather mid heavy, which many guitar players turn on when they want to cut into the mix...and of course added gain. Maybe u want something more transparent? I would recommend xotic pedals. RC booster is the most transparent out of the bunch. And the AC and BB preamp will give you more oophm in the low mids. All great pedals.

Clockwork5

what do you mean exactly by "metaly"? Tube Screamers are rather mid heavy, which many guitar players turn on when they want to cut into the mix...and of course added gain. Maybe u want something more transparent? I would recommend xotic pedals. RC booster is the most transparent out of the bunch. And the AC and BB preamp will give you more oophm in the low mids. All great pedals.

Thanks for the suggestions ill check them out. What I mean by "metaly" Is the fact that the Tube Screamer can tend to cut a lot of the warmth out of the tone. Which is fine for a rocking solo but with my current role in the band I am most often filling out the sound, instead of trying to stick out out (which is what the tube screamer does best.).

Thanks for the suggestions ill check them out. What I mean by "metaly" Is the fact that the Tube Screamer can tend to cut a lot of the warmth out of the tone. Which is fine for a rocking solo but with my current role in the band I am most often filling out the sound, instead of trying to stick out out (which is what the tube screamer does best.).

oh I see. Then I would definitely recommend getting a pedal that is more transparent. Xotic RC booster is very transparent out of the bunch, although the least amount overdrive (BB Preamp adds a lot of compression to your signal). I would also recommend the Suhr Koko Boost. The boost side is pretty transparent too.

I did notice that pedals that claim to be the most transparent tend to get really really pricey :-/

Fusebox

Banned
I just bought all this off a guy for $250.

I didn't really need any more pedals but can't resist a bargain, and dat flanger!

imag0112i.jpg

Hey Botox that Suhr of yours is absolutely gorgeous, you don't see many of those around here man, excellent taste. It tells me you have money AND style. ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice. That Pitch Shifter alone has gotta be worth $100+. I've wanted one for quite a while.

I'm also a fan of Boss' chorus pedals.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Figured this would be a decent place to ask...

I'm looking to sell my guitar and all my equipment. I need the money and will also be using it to get an acoustic which I think would be a lot more practical for me. Could anyone tell me what I might be able to get for this on craigslist? Would $500 be reasonable?

It's a mexican telecaster I got 5 years ago that hasn't been used a lot and is pretty much in perfect condition except for a little nick at the edge of the bridge. Plus a stand, case, strap, cable, and a small Peavey amp that works perfectly fine except the headphone jack is kind of loose.

Some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/5iGiCzz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3pMeKb6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ofscfwb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hZyk6nT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hI9tGOo.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Might be a little expensive for a MiM and a Blazer but it's better than selling too cheap that's for sure, start at $500 and see how it goes.

DSmalls84

I have a Fender Twin Reverb amp that I haven't played in years. Can someone link me to a guide on installing tubes or is that something that needs to be done by an expert?

Iph

Banned
Snagged this at a pawn shop in great shape with the brand case that came with it too. Sooo happy. Gorgeous Baby Taylor 305. I am a smaller person and find full-sized acoustics way too big to play comfortably.

WP_000764_zpsf5993d2a.jpg

WP_000766_zps262f1477.jpg

Sobriquet

Figured this would be a decent place to ask...

I'm looking to sell my guitar and all my equipment. I need the money and will also be using it to get an acoustic which I think would be a lot more practical for me. Could anyone tell me what I might be able to get for this on craigslist? Would $500 be reasonable?

It's a mexican telecaster I got 5 years ago that hasn't been used a lot and is pretty much in perfect condition except for a little nick at the edge of the bridge. Plus a stand, case, strap, cable, and a small Peavey amp that works perfectly fine except the headphone jack is kind of loose.

Some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/5iGiCzz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3pMeKb6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ofscfwb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hZyk6nT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hI9tGOo.jpg

Maybe around $300.

2012 Gibson Jeff Tweedy SG in Blue Mist
2013 Gibson SG Standard Coil Split in Honeyburst
2011 Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute in Alpine White
2005 Fender FSR Jazz Bass with Audere Preamp and Bad Ass II Bridge
1979 Epiphone Genesis
2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro with Coil Tap

28079_4816739265425_2092525995_n.jpg

The Tweedy is a beast to behold.

Just picked up the Gibson Les Paul this past Monday. Plan on putting a Bigsby on it.

577840_10200826244407475_1879940274_n.jpg

285669_10200682460452966_442544622_n.jpg

I no longer have the Fender. :(

537807_10200581221002043_1981108119_n.jpg

Jam room. I no longer have the SG at the bottom of the pic. 2009 SG Faded Special. The back are a Hagstrom Viking II and a 97 Fender American Precision.

189238_4688859508511_1745049277_n.jpg

1989 Yamaha SA1100. 1990 Squier something or other.

562207_3933302260052_1851550356_n.jpg

Left is a Yamaha SA 503TVL from 2006. It's gone and I miss it.

I have a Fender Twin Reverb amp that I haven't played in years. Can someone link me to a guide on installing tubes or is that something that needs to be done by an expert?

It's pretty easy actually - just pull them out of the sockets and install new ones. Almost like replacing batteries.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So I got a musicshop to scout a guitar for me (picture to the right), wich they did. I paid some money upfront and a month later (a couple of days ago) i gave them the rest and said that they can ship the guitar to me. Turned out the Guitar was somehow "lost" by PRS UK etc...

End of the Story, they found the guitar and are ready so send it from the UK to me. Now since the whole deal kind of sucked, the Musicshop offered me another guitar for the same price that usualy retails for about 1000&#8364; more (artist package) to make up for the bad transaction.

It's a slightly different color, burst :( , gold hardware :( but has a ebony fretboard and rosewood neck. And some fancier inlays.

The one i ordered comes with the 57/08 PU's and the "new" one with 59/09 PU's which i know nothing about jet.

So what would you do?
And no, i can't go there and test the guitars myself, yes i bought a 3,5K&#8364; guitar unseen over the internet...

I kind of already have made up my mind, but would like some unbiased opinions from you guys.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So I got a musicshop to scout a guitar for me (picture to the right), wich they did. I paid some money upfront and a month later (a couple of days ago) i gave them the rest and said that they can ship the guitar to me. Turned out the Guitar was somehow "lost" by PRS UK etc...

End of the Story, they found the guitar and are ready so send it from the UK to me. Now since the whole deal kind of sucked, the Musicshop offered me another guitar for the same price that usualy retails for about 1000€ more (artist package) to make up for the bad transaction.

It's a slightly different color, burst :( , gold hardware :( but has a ebony fretboard and rosewood neck. And some fancier inlays.

The one i ordered comes with the 57/08 PU's and the "new" one with 59/09 PU's which i know nothing about jet.

So what would you do?
And no, i can't go there and test the guitars myself, yes i bought a 3,5K€ guitar unseen over the internet...

I kind of already have made up my mind, but would like some unbiased opinions from you guys.

It's kinda unclear to me what is going on.... you are buying a guitar, but they cant get it, so they are offering you another one at a reduced price? I wouldn't do it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well it's like you ordering a car with very specific things in it. You pay for it upfront and then the'll tell you that the car got lost somehow... You wait a couple of days and somehow they find the car, and since the whole deal was absolutely amateurish they offer you the car you actually orderer plus offer one that is actually more expensive for the same price to make up for acting like amateurs...

Well it's like you ordering a car with very specific things in it. You pay for it upfront and then the'll tell you that the car got lost somehow... You wait a couple of days and somehow they find the car, and since the whole deal was absolutely amateurish they offer you the car you actually orderer plus offer one that is actually more expensive for the same price to make up for acting like amateurs...
At least you'll end up with a great guitar in either situation, but I understand the problem. I'd look into the differences in the pickups and the wood itself, and let that guide your decision. There are reasons why the other is more expensive, you just have to decide if those reasons interest you.

Great taste in color by the way. Both look stellar.

Top Bottom