• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

What would you/he like to know? I don't have one (although I do have a Jaguar), but I'm pretty familiar with them.

are they still good guitars inspite of hte fact they're mim? and are the bridges still kind of crappy and should be switched out as per the usual on jazz/jags if you want to play more aggressively.

Sobriquet

are they still good guitars inspite of hte fact they're mim? and are the bridges still kind of crappy and should be switched out as per the usual on jazz/jags if you want to play more aggressively.

There are some great MIM guitars. Classic series and Classic Player series in particular. I prefer the Classic series due to vintage specs, but the Classic Players are really nice as well.

They don't have a Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge, they have an adjust-o-matic. Also, the tremolo plate is moved up. Both of those things allow you to use lighter strings (11s and up are usually recommended for Jags/Jazzies), and they'll stay in place better if you're an aggressive strummer. But they get rid of some of the overtones that make the guitars sound like they do, they won't stay in tune as well, and the bridge radius doesn't match the neck radius. A (drop-in) roller bridge will fix the tuning issues. Shimming each saddle would fix the radius. They also have hotter pickups. The Jazzmaster in particular uses a variation of P-90s instead of Jazzmaster pickups.

I personally prefer traditional bridges/specs on Fender offsets, and would typically recommend the Squier versions over the MIMs. But I know that some people just like the look, and don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Neil Young - Stupid Girl Full Band Cover

I'm going to try to record a better vocal track soon, for the most part all the instruments are final. I've tried my best to recreate the song as it appears on Neil's album "Zuma". I still need to tweak the mix some more, but overall I'm pleased with how this song is turning out. There's still a bunch of mistakes, but none of them are really terrible.

It took a lot of reverb to get close to Neil's sound, more than I've ever played with, I'm still not there, but for the equipment I have right now its close enough. I'll keep on tweaking and try to dial it in better for the next song :).

Fusebox

Banned
I'm considering getting a Ibanez RG2620 from 2004 with an extra thin ultra neck and a Joe Satriani signature pickup. Thoughts? Would it be a good guitar for playing general metal?

Absofuckinglutely. The Wizard Prestige neck is pretty much the best shredding neck available, just check that its still got a lot of fret life. Run man, get that axe.

Absofuckinglutely. The Wizard Prestige neck is pretty much the best shredding neck available, just check that its still got a lot of fret life. Run man, get that axe.
I guess I never posted a photo of it in this thread.

ibpIvRZcZPivB1.jpg

Did another cover, this time Judas Priest.

Judas Priest - The Ripper
I'm not a fan of Judas Priest, but that's impressive. Nice camerawork too!

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Thank you. It's easy to edit the video in the same program(Reaper) I record in, now that I'm used to it. Limited to only one video at a time, but I'm learning to work within those limitations.

Posted in other thread. Dunno what happened to it, so I'll post in this.

Old pics from old posts:

BVp.jpg

CVp.jpg

DVp.jpg

EVp.jpg

EJAbWRq.jpg

uIo.jpg

yIo.jpg

zIo.jpg

946292_10201165203521241_513977351_n.jpg

577840_10200826244407475_1879940274_n.jpg

188901_10200826235487252_221292619_n.jpg

285669_10200682460452966_442544622_n.jpg

Had the Tokai custom made from Japan. Got in today. Dunno if I'm gonna keep it or the Gibson.

qWoca4v.jpg

WDlk1Ht.jpg

sJxxolY.jpg

JeTmAn81

This is my jam station. The strat is an American Deluxe ash

XR90wzU.jpg

Is that the Boss GT-10 down there? I've got that one! I think I used to have that same green delay pedal next to it, if that's what it is, but when I got the GT-10 I didn't feel the need for additional delay anymore.

Is that the Boss GT-10 down there? I've got that one! I think I used to have that same green delay pedal next to it, if that's what it is, but when I got the GT-10 I didn't feel the need for additional delay anymore.

It sure is. I use overdrive, tremelo, reverb, everything (and of course amp modeling) on the GT-10, but for some reason I still like to keep the Line 6 for delay modeling. Even though it is malfunctioning from years of overuse, I just love that green box. There is also a completely unnecessary Crybaby next to the Line 6.

Is short scale a necessity or are you just going for tone? You can probably get what you want with a Jaguar with heavy gauged flat wounds. Especially with the neck pup circuit.

Why not just buy an extended range/bass six at that point?

I play guitar, not bass.

Yeah, they are deep. I think there are some modern interpretations that would fit, though.

I've seen the SD ones I linked in a Les Paul, so they can't be that monstrous, though that is thicker than a Jaguar.

Is short scale a necessity or are you just going for tone? You can probably get what you want with a Jaguar with heavy gauged flat wounds. Especially with the neck pup circuit.

Already have two 24.75", and three 25.5" electrics. Shorter would be different. Jaguar's wiring looks overly fiddly to me, but I've never tried one.

Extended Range is a guitar and has standard tuning and the Fender Bass Six is tuned like a guitar.

So, I searched for 'Extended Range guitar' and they're all pointy 7 and 8 string guitars. Fender Bass VI is a six string bass with bass strings.

I guess me saying "0.016s" in my original post is what's suggested these to you, but the other part of it is the 23.5" scale Byrdland, so I'm not interested in tuning lower necessarily (though I would probably put in C# vastapol by times).

A baritone guitar would be neat too, but it's not the same desire as the one for a short scale instrument with big strings.

Sobriquet

Jaguar's wiring looks overly fiddly to me, but I've never tried one.

It's actually really straightforward. Sidenote: Jaguars are the best guitars ever.

Extended Range is a guitar and has standard tuning and the Fender Bass Six is tuned like a guitar.

I guess a Bass VI could be used as a really long baritone with some lighter strings and by tuning up. Makes more sense to just get a baritone though. And yeah, I realize he wants a short scale, but I love talking about this stuff. :p

There is an FSR Jag and an American Jag going around for 999 and 1499 respectively. I plan on picking either one of them up or the Jaguar Thinline from Fender Japan soon. Thinline lacks block inlays, but the problem with my Tokai is that the block inlays feel a bit weird under my fingers.

The reason I was suggesting alternatives is because his project would be pretty damn expensive and might not work. If tone was all he was after, he could get a good approximation without the investment/risk. I thought about putting a staple in my Tokai but it would require drilling into the body, and a LP is arched and twice as thick as a Jag.

-Eddman-

Here's some of my stuff:

Epiphone Les Paul Goth modified with a red pickguard, Duncan Distortion pickup in the neck and a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge. This one has balls :)

Xo5UPaj.jpg

Squier Jaguar Bass

Z5wXbAh.jpg

Fender Stratocaster BlackTop modified with a GraphTech nut and the Lace Matt Pike signature pickups.

oTutC9n.jpg

Marshall Class 5 amp. I like it but the tone gets muddy at high volume

BnKpkq5.jpg

MESA DC-5 amp and Marshall JVM 2x12 cab. Holy shit, Mesa amps are awesome, the best amp I have ever tried (I'm not a gear head so that doesn't mean much to be honest, but damn it sounds good)

2AAjr3W.jpg

It is all idle speculation. Need another guitar like another hole in my head, and money is all wrapped up in mostly boring domestic things right now.

Since I posted the Jaguar-Byrdland thing yonks ago, I found someone that sells kits for a variety of semi- and fully hollow bodied guitars. May try and tackle one of those as my second build down the road now that I have a house with a workshop.

Recently rescued my ailing amplifier by jumping the effects loop with 1/4" patch cable, so the most immediate guitar project may be getting that repaired for good.

Anyone have a Gibson with the electronics mounted to a plate? I want to drop a new harness in mine since Gibson really cheaper out on the electronics and everything is crackly on it despite only being 16 years old (compared to my thirty-one year old Greco).

MESA DC-5 amp and Marshall JVM 2x12 cab. Holy shit, Mesa amps are awesome, the best amp I have ever tried

Loved the LoneStar and Express amps I tried when I thought I had to replace my Trace; once I fixed it with a patch cable I bought a new computer instead.

Yup. Plays great. Sounds great. The tone control on the bridge (usually on middle) is probably the best thing about it. Traded my LP for it. I came out on top for sure.

vanty

So I've been thinking about getting into playing guitar again but I don't want to use the random cheap guitar I still have from when I was 13 or something. So I went into a thrift shop to see if they had anything and in a back room they had this Stratocaster. It's one of a few from a store that shut down, brand new it seems.

Serial is Z3059687 which as far as I can tell means it's from 2003-4 but nothing else about the model or whatever.

Can anyone tell anything else about it based on that picture?

Serial is Z3059687 which as far as I can tell means it's from 2003-4 but nothing else about the model or whatever.

Can anyone tell anything else about it based on that picture?

Fender Noiseless pickups.

I'm not sure it's new; the fretwire and pickguard screws are gold, which I would have thought would have come with a gold bridge.

Edit: Apparently there was a '57 reissue-type that looks like that, with those pickups so that's my guess. Haven't found a model name yet.

Is there anything in front of the Z? If not, could be an American Deluxe. Could be a steal at the right price.

awesome! I was thinking of getting an EJ start myself. I love the vintage tint of the necks on these guys.

Everything I read is that it's the greatest strat Fender has ever made. I'm no expert but I am continually blown away by it.

Anyway, CrudeDiatribe, I think Gibson saw our conversation.

gibson_kalamazoo.jpg

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/

Dunno if I'll be able to resist. :p

Top Bottom