• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I choose the one i actually wanted from the get go, the "standard" custom 24.

From what i understand mahogany (neck) and rosewood (fingerboard) tend to make the guitar sound warmer then a rosewood neck with ebony fingerboard, and thats what i would like to go with.

The other guitar featured more exotic/expansive tone woods but i think that tone should go over aesthetics.

It looks like PRS UK is also sending me a shirt as they asked me today what size i wear :D

----

And here is my now finished Pedalboard :D
with my first DIY pedal (A/B/Y switch with volume poti for the B channel (random tone generator) )

Spruce

Neo Member
I'm thinking about picking up my first electric guitar soon. Any recommendations from any of you lefty's out there? I was thing the Epiphone G-400 but I really dont know what to look for.

jett

D-Member
halp plz

I have a classical acoustic guitar, but for a while now there has been some occasional distortion when I pluck the strings. Any idea what could cause that? I've changed the strings and the tuning keys and that that didn't help btw. It used to sound really clean.

Also, the last strings I bought were some D'Addario ones, but I had a problem in that the first three strings produced a very different sound from the other ones, it didn't sound like they belonged together. Can you guys recommend some classical acoustic strings that aren't overpriced? :p

Sobriquet

halp plz

I have a classical acoustic guitar, but for a while now there has been some occasional distortion when I pluck the strings. Any idea what could cause that? I've changed the strings and the tuning keys and that that didn't help btw. It used to sound really clean.

Also, the last strings I bought were some D'Addario ones, but I had a problem in that the first three strings produced a very different sound from the other ones, it didn't sound like they belonged together. Can you guys recommend some classical acoustic strings that aren't overpriced? :p

Hi there. I just suggested you post in here for some answers (from someone else, in theory), but I was curious and started looking around. I found this which may help you narrow it down a little.

As for the strings, I think it's because classicals use three nylon strings and three steel (?) strings. I know the "nylon" ones can be made of different materials. Do you know by chance what kind of strings you bought?

jett

D-Member
Hi there. I just suggested you post in here for some answers (from someone else, in theory), but I was curious and started looking around. I found this which may help you narrow it down a little.

As for the strings, I think it's because classicals use three nylon strings and three steel (?) strings. I know the "nylon" ones can be made of different materials. Do you know by chance what kind of strings you bought?

Thanks.

I believe these were the strings I bought:

da_prod_EJ27N_main_2.jpg

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetai...oductname=EJ27N_Student_Nylon__Normal_Tension

Just bought this little beauty, the strings are heavy-as-fuck flatwounds, not sure what gauge.

Awesome Peerless there. I was lent one of their archtops for a Jazz/Swing set once
and I thought it played/sounded damn good.

New nylon strings are usually a little mismatched when new.
Play until you wear them in and most of that should go away as they start to settle in.
By distortion do you mean fret buzz? if so wearing them in by playing should also take that away, if not you may need to adjust the neck.

Awesome Peerless there. I was lent one of their archtops for a Jazz/Swing set once
and I thought it played/sounded damn good.

Thanks man, I'd never heard of them before trying this one out but I was amazed by the build quality for the price, definitely would recommend if you can find one. The hard case it came with is a thing of beauty too, will post pics soon.

What a beaut! I <3 flatwounds. I use 11s, which are "extra light" lol.

haha, it's definitely been a learning experience, i'm enjoying toughening up the old fingers though!

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Just finished a video of my cover of Pink Floyd's Hey You/ Is There Anybody Out There? with some of the gear I've bought in the past year.

Pink Floyd - Hey You / Is There Anybody Out There? Guitar/Bass Cover

First I'd like to give thanks to whoever made this great backing track of Hey You. It had the vocals, drums and keyboards and I added all the guitars and bass. I then cut the transition between the songs from the cd and blended it into my cover of Is There Anybody Out There?, where I added all the keys behind the guitar as well as the guitar then then blended the sound effects from the cd back in faded out.

This ended up being a lot more complicated to record than I imagined. I also took a break while I upgraded my equipment, so There is a good 6 month gap between the solo and electric guitar bits and the bass and acoustic guitar stuff.

Equipment used:

Egnater Tweaker 40 Head
Randall Iso 12 Iso Cabinet
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Jam
Squier Classic Vibe 50's strat w/ Fender noiseless pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Recording King RD-17
Ibenez TRB2 Bass
Yamaha EZ-200

All through a Behringer X1204USB to Reaper DAW.

Some more pics of my guitars:

62AplUN.jpg
5st3dqz.jpg

BdPQ6AD.jpg
EQL7dwC.jpg

BXEes42.jpg
VJLexXS.jpg

o5ajfcB.jpg
moT93gr.jpg

T69i0Gl.jpg
Zka2waN.jpg

FJE82Za.jpg
8cwuI0i.jpg

KhiGWsL.jpg

Really only started playing again a little over a year ago after not playing for 25 years. Find myself with more time as I get older and wanted to start playing again. The resources available to guitarists now is amazing.

got a new amp, an Elmwood Modena M60 from Sweden. Quite possibly the nicest lead sound i ever played :D It's like a Bogner Ecstacy, Mesa Mark IV or C+, and Soldano mated and had a baby.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
halp plz

Do you mean fret buzz?
If so, i can help
Got it yesterday, it's so different to what i'm used to play... so...nice..

Nice!! Post a vid of you playing it mang!

deim0s

If anyone has done it... I have an old Jackson JS32 Kelly and would want to replace the chrome hardware - would it's 6-inline tuning pegs from gotoh (mini keys) are a drop in replacement - same as with the tune-o-matic?

Couldn't take a picture of it right now, but my main electric's a 2007 Mexican Arctic White Fender HSS Stratocaster.

I'm so glad I remember those specifications.

It's not the greatest guitar by any means, and I'd love to replace it, but it has performed good enough for me so far. A faithful instrument through and through.

Fusebox

Banned
Nice playing Craig, time to sell the Squires and Epis and buy yourself one really good guitar instead man, you've earned it.

So earlier in this thread I said I had been eying a Tokai P90 Goldtop.
Well I went in to the store to buy it yesterday and walked out with this instead...

flcn.jpg

Also a walked out with a Taylor GS Mini and 2 Strymon pedals.

Congrats, that's quite a haul! Is that the Electromatic?

Which Strymons did you get?

Not an Electromatic (although I did get to play some of the new ones with Blacktop Filtertrons instore and they are awesome guitars. I think they are the best the Electromatic's have ever been)
This model is a Silver Falcon.

I grabbed a Timeline and a Mobius, I've done some minor preset editing, But I've yet to dig in to get the most out of them. Although out of the box they have some totally cool and useable sounds.

Sobriquet

Not an Electromatic (although I did get to play some of the new ones with Blacktop Filtertrons instore and they are awesome guitars. I think they are the best the Electromatic's have ever been)
This model is a Silver Falcon.

I grabbed a Timeline and a Mobius, I've done some minor preset editing, But I've yet to dig in to get the most out of them. Although out of the box they have some totally cool and useable sounds.

Oh wow! Falcons rule. On second glance, I'm an idiot. I didn't even notice the falcon, lol. Major cash dropped yesterday.

edit: Is it a traditional full hollow, or is it one of the new semis? I know they came out with a bunch of new Falcons fairly recently.

Oh wow! Falcons rule. On second glance, I'm an idiot. I didn't even notice the falcon, lol. Major cash dropped yesterday.

edit: Is it a traditional full hollow, or is it one of the new semis? I know they came out with a bunch of new Falcons fairly recently.

Traditional hollow. They did have a few of the new centerblock Falcons in the shop I reasoned that I already have a semi-hollow 335 so the didn't succeed in tempting me as much as the traditional Falcon.

I'm considering getting a Ibanez RG2620 from 2004 with an extra thin ultra neck and a Joe Satriani signature pickup. Thoughts? Would it be a good guitar for playing general metal?

So, I picked up a little something this weekend.

1963 Gibson Les Paul. This was a year or so before Les Paul noticed one in a store window and made Gibson take his name off. This is the "double cutaway," afterwards known as the SG (Solid Guitar) model. This was my step-father's guitar. Growing up, I was barely allowed to even glance at it, so owning it is very humbling. It's in pretty great shape, minus some pitting of the chrome. Thirty years of smoky bars and sweat, he explained. This thing has been played.

He said he replaced the tuners and one of the saddles; he still has them somewhere and will look for them. Though, even the replacements are so old as to be vintage, I guess. I'm not looking to ever sell it; I'll let my daughter do that. She can pay for college with it. I joked with him that I always expected to get it when he died, and now I don't have to worry about smiling at his funeral.

It's in the original case, too.

Oh, and one other thing, a late 70's/early 80's Japanese Gold Star archtop banjo. Damn, this thing sings!

Sobriquet

^ What a beauty! I don't think I've ever seen a bridge like that. It almost looks like a Lyre Maestro, but without the actual vibrola.

CPCunha

adamsappel, you better build a SHRINE for that SG 'cus it fuckin' deserves it...
...Jesus F. Christ, what a guitar...what a guitar.

<3

EVOL 100%

Bought a J. Mascis Jazzmaster.

oqGWAPB.jpeg

Switched the pickups to AVRI pickups. Next mods planned are a roller bridge and locking tuners. I can now finally live out my Sonic Youth fanboy fantasies.

Bought a J. Mascis Jazzmaster.

oqGWAPB.jpeg

Switched the pickups to AVRI pickups. Next mods planned are a roller bridge and locking tuners. I can now finally live out my Sonic Youth fanboy fantasies.

is that a new model? i thought the j masics one came only in that garish purple color.

EVOL 100%

is that a new model? i thought the j masics one came only in that garish purple color.
The Fender model was discontinued, the one I bought is the new Squier model.

It's probably one of the best bang for the buck guitars out there right now. The neck is absolutely amazing, and the guitar just doesn't feel like a budget one at all. The 3 way switch is known for being a bit wonky, but that's the only real flaw of the guitar. Pickups and hardware are nice too, I swapped them out because I wanted something more close to a traditional Jazzmaster. It's brilliant.

EVOL 100%

Good choice! A Jazzmaster should have Jazzmaster pickups, not P-90s.

A roller bridge is probably a good call although I wish they came with a vintage-style bridge instead of the adjust-o-matic.

Same here. I wanted a honest-to-god Jazzmaster with dem harmonic overtones behind the bridge, not a high output 'rock' guitar. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, just wasn't what I'm looking for. The J Mascis would have been perfect if it was specced closer to vintage specs but I guess that's what the Vintage Modifieds are for. The VMs apparently have horrible quality control so I went for the Mascis.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase though, apparently $20 roller bridges work just fine and are a direct fit for the Mascis. After that mod it'd be pretty everything I was looking for.

im flying to new york on the 12th to record some music but i've never flown with a guitar before.

any tips i should know? check-in or carry-on? i'll be taking an electric with me.

im flying to new york on the 12th to record some music but i've never flown with a guitar before.

any tips i should know? check-in or carry-on? i'll be taking an electric with me.

Guitar is typically too big for carry on, but some airlines offer a 'gate-check' service that works well with instruments. Check with your airline about what they offer.

Otherwise, you're checking it, so: how to pack a guitar for travel.

Lemming

Hey, everyone! Picked up my first guitar a month ago.
I've been drumming for years and am really looking forward to understanding more of what you all talk about during rehearsals! heheh.
Currently working on the material from http://www.justinguitar.com , recomendation from a fellow gaffer. Sore fingers are fading away :)

ht98.jpg

l9bn.jpg

Top Bottom