• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

What are you guys doing amp wise?

Trace Elliot Supertramp
100W solid state masterpiece. Has been dying on me over the past couple of years. So far its life has been restored by jumping the effects loop, bypassing the internal pre- to power-amp connection that's obviously broken.

Tech 21 Trademark 10
10W decent sounding solid state amp that I gigged with at university over a decade ago when I travelled by foot.

Fender Champion 600
Flubby little thing that's OK with humbuckers on my back deck.

If I hadn't happened upon the effects-loop fix on an internet post, I would probably have purchased a Mesa Boogie Express. Just love that amp.

I've been running a Peavey ValveKing 212 and a Line 6 Flextone III solid state. They've been serviceable, but I've run many pedals in front of both. Paired down to just a way, reverb, and may get a treble boost. Will have to see how well the treble boost pushes both but I may end up getting something new. Thinking of a Tube Reverb but it has no built in gain, so I'd still be on the hook for a treble boost or a tube OD pedal.

This is my
dirty
Tanglewood, it's like 20 years old, I still can't play shit :(

TGj5Sw8.jpg

It's a good guitar, but I should change the pickups.

I have an equally old small Fender amp, but I don't really use it much.

Probably a Japanese Custom rep. Not bad. Maybe MIK, but usually if they're that old they're CIJ.

Also, re: bass, Flea slaps on a Hofner, and Hofner's are the best. :D

Mine? You mean it's not a real Tanglewood? or that they rebranded japanese guitars.

I mean that during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, Japanese guitar companies were "ripping off" Gibson designs and selling them in Japan, Europe, North America, etc. You have a real Tanglewood, it's just a Les Paul Custom Replica.

Greco, Burny, Tokai, Ibanez, Yamaha, Orville, ESP/LTD/Navigator etc are just some of the companies that did so. The bad thing is that these Japanese guitars often used materials of similar quality to Gibson but were vastly cheaper than the Gibson model they were replicating. Greco, Burny, Orville, Tokai, and ESP's Navigator's were often higher quality than Gibson's custom line and still cheaper but also had modern appointments like long neck tenons.

Gibson finally started pursuing legal ways of preventing these guitars from being built/sold, but Japan has allowed them to be built and sold in the Japanese market, but US custom laws prevent US shops from selling them here.

I recently sold my Gibson Les Paul because I had Tokai build me a 1954 Les Paul Custom replica. I paid much less for it, it had higher quality material, and it absolutely blew the Gibson away in quality and playability. In the 90's Gibson entered a partnership with Japanese manufacturers to sell Orville and Orville by Gibson branded Japanese Les Paul replicas. Orville Gibson started the Gibson guitar company.

Long post short, in the 70s and 80s Japanese and Korean guitar makers were making replicas of Gibson and Fender designs with their own logo on the head stock.

Here's a pic of my Tokai Custom. They've since stopped using the Gibson style inlay and switched to their own floral pattern.

http://i.imgur.com/WDlk1Ht.jpg?1

ed

Oh, wow. Didn't know Tanglewood was a UK company. It very well may be a rebranded CIJ/MIK Les Paul. Still a good find. If you replace the pups and look on the back you may have a stamp on them that reveals the instruments origin.

Possible they just made their own copy. Hofner, a German company, had their own Les Paul Custom copy as well in the 70s

Made in Japan isn't a guaranteed indicator of quality.

Not always, especially if it's a late 60s CIJ guitar, but honestly, I haven't seen a CIJ guitar that wasn't good to great.

And that was a typo. :p

I'm in talks with a guy to get another completely customized Tokai in the works. Violin burst, maple top, 57s, ebony, single binding front, back, neck, headstock, with fret nibs.

Depending on cost. I basically want it to look like the Ibanez Scruggs. One on eBay now but they want too much for it.

I mean that during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, Japanese guitar companies were "ripping off" Gibson designs and selling them in Japan, Europe, North America, etc. You have a real Tanglewood, it's just a Les Paul Custom Replica.

Greco, Burny, Tokai, Ibanez, Yamaha, Orville, ESP/LTD/Navigator etc are just some of the companies that did so. The bad thing is that these Japanese guitars often used materials of similar quality to Gibson but were vastly cheaper than the Gibson model they were replicating. Greco, Burny, Orville, Tokai, and ESP's Navigator's were often higher quality than Gibson's custom line and still cheaper but also had modern appointments like long neck tenons.

Gibson finally started pursuing legal ways of preventing these guitars from being built/sold, but Japan has allowed them to be built and sold in the Japanese market, but US custom laws prevent US shops from selling them here.

I recently sold my Gibson Les Paul because I had Tokai build me a 1954 Les Paul Custom replica. I paid much less for it, it had higher quality material, and it absolutely blew the Gibson away in quality and playability. In the 90's Gibson entered a partnership with Japanese manufacturers to sell Orville and Orville by Gibson branded Japanese Les Paul replicas. Orville Gibson started the Gibson guitar company.

Long post short, in the 70s and 80s Japanese and Korean guitar makers were making replicas of Gibson and Fender designs with their own logo on the head stock.

Here's a pic of my Tokai Custom. They've since stopped using the Gibson style inlay and switched to their own floral pattern.

http://i.imgur.com/WDlk1Ht.jpg?1

ed

Oh, wow. Didn't know Tanglewood was a UK company. It very well may be a rebranded CIJ/MIK Les Paul. Still a good find. If you replace the pups and look on the back you may have a stamp on them that reveals the instruments origin.

Possible they just made their own copy. Hofner, a German company, had their own Les Paul Custom copy as well in the 70s

Cheers! Very interesting info, and nice guitars. I prefer the silverware over gold, I wish mine had it. Other than that, love the looks of the black classic LP.

I am extremely noob in everything related to guitars, but everybody who tried it said it's pretty nice. I'll make pics the next time I open and mess with it.

btw, what kind of pickups does your Tokai have?

MegalonJJ

Banned
So I've been thinking about getting into playing guitar again but I don't want to use the random cheap guitar I still have from when I was 13 or something. So I went into a thrift shop to see if they had anything and in a back room they had this Stratocaster. It's one of a few from a store that shut down, brand new it seems.

Serial is Z3059687 which as far as I can tell means it's from 2003-4 but nothing else about the model or whatever.

Can anyone tell anything else about it based on that picture?

Hard to say, as the pick ups look like the type that was on those 2003-4 deluxe statocasters, but the bridge and fretboard inlays don't look like what came on Deluxe strats. (Deluxe strats had albalone inlays, i.e. they look kinda holofoil/graphic and deluxe bridges have a 2-point screw in type set up. Your guitar has the 6 screw set up).

I wouldn't say it's a '57 reissue because it comes with 22 frets. The '57 comes with 21.

(I reckon it's an American standard base with enhancements i.e. the noiseless pickups. Your frets look gold too, can you confirm please?)

Hmm, can you post a picture of the front of the headstock? Where it says fender.

(Also black out the serial number as scammers look for legit strat serial numbers to help sell shitty fake ones).

Sobriquet

Is there anything in front of the Z? If not, could be an American Deluxe. Could be a steal at the right price.

Everything I read is that it's the greatest strat Fender has ever made. I'm no expert but I am continually blown away by it.

Anyway, CrudeDiatribe, I think Gibson saw our conversation.

gibson_kalamazoo.jpg

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/

Dunno if I'll be able to resist. :p

Ooooh, short scale. I like. I'm guessing it's a small body since it's a Midtown?

vanty

Hard to say, as the pick ups look like the type that was on those 2003-4 deluxe statocasters, but the bridge and fretboard inlays don't look like what came on Deluxe strats. (Deluxe strats had albalone inlays, i.e. they look kinda holofoil/graphic and deluxe bridges have a 2-point screw in type set up. Your guitar has the 6 screw set up).

I wouldn't say it's a '57 reissue because it comes with 22 frets. The '57 comes with 21.

(I reckon it's an American standard base with enhancements i.e. the noiseless pickups. Your frets look gold too, can you confirm please?)

Hmm, can you post a picture of the front of the headstock? Where it says fender.

(Also black out the serial number as scammers look for legit strat serial numbers to help sell shitty fake ones).
DUfNAR9.jpg

Yeah it does seem like the frets are gold.

Are the tuning pegs staggered? Meaning, they get shorter as it goes towards the High E?

How's it play? How much are they asking for it? It looks to have decent hardware and at least an MIA neck. If the price is $500 or lower, I'd say go for it. If it plays well.

MegalonJJ

Banned
DUfNAR9.jpg

Yeah it does seem like the frets are gold.

Hmm, interesting.

I think/believe you possibly have some kind of late 2002 or early 2003 special US Highway One Stratocaster.

Why? Well the main hint came from the headstock; it has two string trees instead of one. Only the Highway Ones had this.

Now, it could be that it's a USA standard strat using a leftover (Fender don't waste anything) Highway One neck. But it's some kind of special hence the pickups and gold frets. (Note if it was a 2004 (/very late 2003) stratocaster it would have the 50th anniversary emblem on the headstock).

Or (and I think this is the most likely) it's a factory special run/store exclusive of the US Highway One stratocaster, hence the special pick ups, gold frets and creamy coloured pickguard.

The latter 2003/2004 Highway ones still had two string trees, but the fender logo was in a different style (hence my point about it being late 2002/early 2003).

Of course there's the (highly unlikely) possibility that someone could have bought a standard US Highway One and switched the picks ups and pickguard, but that wouldn't account for the gold frets.

Sobriquet

So I've been thinking about getting into playing guitar again but I don't want to use the random cheap guitar I still have from when I was 13 or something. So I went into a thrift shop to see if they had anything and in a back room they had this Stratocaster. It's one of a few from a store that shut down, brand new it seems.

Serial is Z3059687 which as far as I can tell means it's from 2003-4 but nothing else about the model or whatever.

Can anyone tell anything else about it based on that picture?

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

edit: Oh, I see that you've already entered the serial number. If you send it to Fender customer service, they'll tell you about it.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
What are you guys doing amp wise?

I'm using a Egnater Tweaker 40 head and a Randall iso12 iso cab. I have the matching 1x12 Egnater cab but have only used it once or twice. I miss the feedback/sustain you get from a regular cab, but my family and pets thank me for using the iso cab.

Sane_Man

I've recently started playing again after a long hiatus. I have an acoustic and I'm looking to buy an electric guitar. I had a Gibson SG years ago which I sold. I think I want a Fender Telecaster now.

I'm not looking to spend loads, so is the Standard good for someone with amateur experience? I have quite small hands which can make playing a bit more difficult, would the Telecaster be okay for this?

I can't decide between the candy apple red maple or the sunburst:
images_list_8_50_2077_3.jpg

1360248232-84911800.jpg

I used to love 60s style super thin necks but have really really started enjoying the 50s necks on my LP 54 and my Strat. So you never know.

But I would suggest you try out the Squier Classic Vibe Tele. 350 bucks or there abouts and often times I find them to be a bit better than MIM Fenders.

Stick with a maple fretboard though.

Sobriquet

I've recently started playing again after a long hiatus. I have an acoustic and I'm looking to buy an electric guitar. I had a Gibson SG years ago which I sold. I think I want a Fender Telecaster now.

I'm not looking to spend loads, so is the Standard good for someone with amateur experience? I have quite small hands which can make playing a bit more difficult, would the Telecaster be okay for this?

The Standards (MIM and American) tend to have thinner necks. You may want to try out Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars and Mustangs since they have a shorter scale.

Fender scale = 25.5"
Gibson scale = 24.75"
Fender short scale = 24"

EVOL 100%

I got rid of a lot of gear that I never really used lately. I lent my weird mutant Telecaster to a friend and sold all of my pedals. I only have a weird boutique distortion pedal and a modded Bugera V5 and a Jazzmaster. I ordered a Loar LH-309 though.

ROZWoC1.jpg

(not my pic)

I'm going to mostly use it as an acoustic instrument, but the pickup should come in handy time to time. It's coming in... 2 weeks though. The wait is going to be remarkably painful.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Hey You / Is There Anybody Out There? Guitar and Bass Cover

Posted this earlier in the year, but got took down in a day by youtube, so I thought I'd re upload it to dailymotion and see how long it lasts. Definitely the toughest cover I've done so far. 17 channels for all the guitars, bass as well as the keyboard parts for Is There Anybody Out There?. I ripped the transitions between the songs and blended them in so it sounds like the album version. A bunch of little mistakes, especially the acoustic part for Hey You, but despite that I think its a pretty close copy of the original. I couldn't of done it without the great backing track I found HERE.

EVOL 100%

So there was a misunderstanding regarding the shipping of my Loar, but it was a happy misunderstanding so the guitar was in my hands since 3 days ago.

In a nutshell the guitar is amazing. It's fitted with the factory strings which are electric, but it's still very loud, thanks to my relief. Another concern of mine was that it'd be hard for me to get used to the large V-shaped neck. On the contrary, it's the most comfortable neck I've ever used and I have tiny baby hands. It's just so satisfying to play.

The sound is great too. It sounds exactly what an archtop should sound like and it projects like a motherfucker. It has a really nice percussive sound that sounds good when strumming, and it has some sort of natural reverb which makes single notes ring out. It does sound a tad bit harsher compared to a flattop, but I prefer the clarity.

I didn't have a chance to play plugged in loudly or long enough to write a real impression, but I liked what I heard. All in all, I'm extremely happy with it. Apparently Loar guitars suffer from bad QC, but I was able to get a good one, I think.

I recently got back from from a short gig circuit playing mainly Rockabilly covers and early Johnny Cash/Sun Records stuff.
My Gretsch was just fantastic and I took along a recently purchased Fender Baja Tele as my only backup.

Definitely a great player.
Its got everything that makes a Tele, a Tele plus a little more.

I also received a few new pedals.
Pedalmonster Klon clone (so good I bought another!)
Mojo Hand BMP-1 (Green Russian Muff)
Boss PS-6 Harmonist
AMT Japanese Lady Wah

Picked up a Hofner Shorty travel guitar. It's actually not a bad little guitar. Needs a setup, and I'd love to get a really nice pickup in it, though the stock's not bad.

ibcDkF6viSeugY.JPG

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Any recommendations for a good mic to use for recording, something for like $50-100? Gonna get myself a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Traded my Strat-style electric for a Taylor 110 acoustic.

jb2rIOAb5gy1nG.jpg

Very nice guitar. I didn't love the electric, and needed an acoustic. Paid $350 for mine, his was $650.

I've tried learning guitar a long time ago and gave up because all I could do was hurting my fingers. Yet I've never stopped dreaming of playing the guitar. I even felt like strumming imaginary strings as I listened to my favorite songs, for all those years.

So here I am, considering a purchase. There's a dude on a guitar forum selling his axe:

Ibanez RG1451NC (Prestige) - Price: €400, shipping and case included.

Basswood body
Tight End bridge

V6F neck p/u
RTS mid p/u
V6F bridge p/u

Are the guitar and price decent (my favorite genres are hard rock, metal and shred)?

55998b904093be5ab264f4fd1573df21.jpg
7afd2579e541925c01dd1c38c4566929.jpg
ec35bb63ca53f4320fbc3055abd8d25a.jpg
eb92cb0f1cd201d6a412f4a9f0afd015.jpg
c941049ac33d77fff5124b99cc27078d.jpg

By the way, in case someone buys the previous guitar before I do, I've found another one:

Ibanez Prestige RGA 121 'Team J. craft'

ibanez-prestige-rga-975514.jpg
ibanez-prestige-rga-975515.jpg
ibanez-prestige-rga-975517.jpg

Mahogany body, maple top, fixed bridge, very good condition
Neck pickup: DiMarzio Paf Pro
Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio X2N
Ibanez case

Price: €450

Opinions?

Took my Les Paul/SG to a luthier* as one of the fret markers popped out. He repaired that, fixed a couple of others, did a setup and intonation, clean and polish, etc. Plays and looks better than ever!

jbs9gpuSYZyREo.jpg

*Larry Smoak, Wooden Wizard Guitars, if you're in the Metro DC area.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I was speaking to Sharp about this, but playing electric for the first time in, probably a two years after starting from scratch and really getting heavy into acoustic is so much easier. Electric hides so many damn flaws and is ridiculously easy to play in comparison.

Top Bottom