• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

So I've posted about this guitar a couple times but I'm looking at just trying to sell it now. I'd rather not mess with switching the pickups on it so I'm just gonna try to sell it. I'll post the info I posted somewhere else here in case anyone is interested.

I'm looking to sell my Epiphone LP Prophecy GX. It's the original model with the blade inlays, ebony fretboard, and Dirty Fingers pickups. I bought it in June brand new at a local shop that mostly sells high end brands like Gibson, PRS, Taylor, and Martin. It's a beautiful guitar, the black cherry is one of the sexiest colors I've seen. It has been professionally setup and plays great. I've used it maybe 4 times live since then and maybe like 10 times at the most at home. I would like to keep it but I really need money for a better amp. It also includes a hard case. I'm wanting $500 for it. It's essentially a new guitar. I'll only sell through paypal. Here are some pics,

photo1_zpsda9afd62.jpg

photo2_zpsad6eb239.jpg

photo3_zps22938249.jpg

photo4_zps909181b2.jpg

photo5_zps07c7546c.jpg

So I've posted about this guitar a couple times but I'm looking at just trying to sell it now. I'd rather not mess with switching the pickups on it so I'm just gonna try to sell it. I'll post the info I posted somewhere else here in case anyone is interested.
That is a very pretty guitar even though I'm more of a Strat cat. But I'm UK based and they're around £529 new. Hmm. Perhaps I should expand my range of guitars a bit more.

I have that exact guitar.

Holy fucking shit.

Ibanez doing ebony fretboards once again? WHAT?!

E: Too bad about the only color being the pictured blue.
The ARZ range have Ebony fingerboards ARZIR27 as well as the RG though most of the RG seem to be blue or grey/blue and some red.

Only problem for me is I'm not the biggest fan of EMG pick ups. Being noiseless is good but they always seem a little lacking in dynamics. A bit too flat.

I have that exact guitar.

The ARZ range have Ebony fingerboards ARZIR27 as well as the RG though most of the RG seem to be blue or grey/blue and some red.

Only problem for me is I'm not the biggest fan of EMG pick ups. Being noiseless is good but they always seem a little lacking in dynamics. A bit too flat.

Try the Seymour Duncan Blackouts?

Try the Seymour Duncan Blackouts?
Yeah. I have them on a Schecter Blackjack. Brighter and more responsive than EMG's in my opinion. However the only guitars I have with EMG's are my Schecter Hellraiser with Sustainiac and the 7 string RG from Ibanez. I could swap the EMG out of the Hellraiser (bridge position) but as it's active and powered by battery I'd rather a guitar tech do it and I can't really afford that. The 7 string is fine with them as I only use it for thick and heavy riffing.

bought an ehx stereo pulsar trem pedal, nice variety of options. though once you turn the rate knob past 1 o clock it sounds like a ring mod effect which is basically unusable to me.

while we're at it, what are some general thoughts on modulation effects? i have a ch-1 super chorus but unless i dial in a very subtle setting it makes everything sound like either 80s rock or come as you are. same with flanger, i was interested in an ehx electric mistress but i find the flange effect way too dominating (esp when compared to the much milder phaser).

bought an ehx stereo pulsar trem pedal, nice variety of options. though once you turn the rate knob past 1 o clock it sounds like a ring mod effect which is basically unusable to me.

while we're at it, what are some general thoughts on modulation effects? i have a ch-1 super chorus but unless i dial in a very subtle setting it makes everything sound like either 80s rock or come as you are. same with flanger, i was interested in an ehx electric mistress but i find the flange effect way too dominating (esp when compared to the much milder phaser).
Generally Ilike modulation effects. Anything from a subtle shimmer from a chorus to full Uni-vibe style warble. That said I need to get a few more pedals. Relying on my Line 6 Spider amps built in effects just isn't cutting it anymore. I do have a rather nice Boss RT20 rotary. Would like to try something different though.
Pedals can be a bit hit and miss. I try to demo them before buying but I live nowhere near a store that sells them so I use Youtube all the time. I think I might get this next for my Hendrix fantasies!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Here is my main stuff:
00e2e7-1412537317.png

Orange OR15 for use at home
Marshall JCM800 reissue (handwired) (rehearsal room)
Mesa Boogie 2*12 speaker
Nik Huber Krautster II GT
PRS custom 24 (Jade)
My Pedalboard (i changed the mastotron with an eh POG II)

I just got the Nik Huber recently, very, very nice guitar and the hype around it is justified.

And yes, i spend way to much on this stuff, given that i don't play music professionally :D

Not pictured:

ESP KH-II
Yamaha SGV800 (lol)
ENGL Savage S.E.

nomster

New guitar day:

8bkcZVql.jpg

2014 American Standard. Been playing off and on for 7-8 years, after getting a nice bonus this year I decided to go for. First "nice" guitar I've owned and man it just plays like a dream (though I still love my cheapish Epiphone and Seagull guitars).

That is a very pretty guitar even though I'm more of a Strat cat. But I'm UK based and they're around £529 new. Hmm. Perhaps I should expand my range of guitars a bit more.

I started off playing a Strat, but I much prefer a Les Paul now. The fatter sound, the insane sustain, and the darker tone all just do so much more for me. Plus I don't think any guitar is sexier than an LP with a sick top.

Sobriquet

I use it to even out the output from splitted/non splitted pickups. Basically all the controls at around noon. It's good i guess, never had an compressor before so hard to tell how it would compare to other compressors.

I've never had one either, but would like to try one for a post punk sound. I was looking at the Warden in particular, although I suppose I could just get a Dyna Comp.

Plus I don't think any guitar is sexier than an LP with a Goldtop.

fixed :p

Here is my main stuff:
00e2e7-1412537317.png

Orange OR15 for use at home
Marshall JCM800 reissue (handwired) (rehearsal room)
Mesa Boogie 2*12 speaker
Nik Huber Krautster II GT
PRS custom 24 (Jade)
My Pedalboard (i changed the mastotron with an eh POG II)

I just got the Nik Huber recently, very, very nice guitar and the hype around it is justified.

And yes, i spend way to much on this stuff, given that i don't play music professionally :D

Not pictured:

ESP KH-II
Yamaha SGV800 (lol)
ENGL Savage S.E.

Oh wow! A Nik Huber! You got great taste.

I always wanted an Orca <3

I started off playing a Strat, but I much prefer a Les Paul now. The fatter sound, the insane sustain, and the darker tone all just do so much more for me. Plus I don't think any guitar is sexier than an LP with a sick top.
I find the neck of Les Paul type guitars a little uncomfortable and unless they've been routed or lightened somewhat heavy (it depends on the guitar). I'm fitting some Seymour Duncan and Di Marzio pups into a cheap Strat I got which will give it essentially 3 humbuckers. Of course the wood is Alder not Mahogeny and the neck is maple but I like that crisper tone. I have other guitars with mahogeny and rosewood or ebony fretboards with humbuckers and yeah they are fatter and darker. But my music style ranges from blues to classic rock and hard rock (and evrything inbetween) so I like to have a wide variety of tones.
I'm certainly considering getting an Epiphone sometime though. Gibsons are a bit out of my price range at the moment!

I find the neck of Les Paul type guitars a little uncomfortable and unless they've been routed or lightened somewhat heavy (it depends on the guitar). I'm fitting some Seymour Duncan and Di Marzio pups into a cheap Strat I got which will give it essentially 3 humbuckers. Of course the wood is Alder not Mahogeny and the neck is maple but I like that crisper tone. I have other guitars with mahogeny and rosewood or ebony fretboards with humbuckers and yeah they are fatter and darker. But my music style ranges from blues to classic rock and hard rock (and evrything inbetween) so I like to have a wide variety of tones.
I'm certainly considering getting an Epiphone sometime though. Gibsons are a bit out of my price range at the moment!

Yeah with the new Gibson models they are out of most people's price range now.

Dropped the price on this to $400 the other place I'm selling it if there's any interest here.

EVOL 100%

So, I'm being drafted to the army in two days and likely won't be able to touch any of my guitars for maybe half a year at most. Any advice on keeping my guitars in good playing condition? Should I take off the strings or would that fuck up with the tension?

So, I'm being drafted to the army in two days and likely won't be able to touch any of my guitars for maybe half a year at most. Any advice on keeping my guitars in good playing condition? Should I take off the strings or would that fuck up with the tension?

Wow, that sucks. Leave the strings on and at whatever tension the guitar has been set up for. There may be other considerations with Floyd-equipped guitars but this should work for acoustics and electrics. Leave them in hard shell cases if possible to protect against UV and short term fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Ideally you'd want to keep them in the temperature and humidity they've been kept in until now (i.e., if you use a humidifier in winter, that should continue).

Don't let anyone ship them. If you eventually are able to get one shipped to you, provide instructions about how to pack it.

i'm super interested in an eight string guitar but have absolutely no budget for one, haha. anyone had any experience in re-stringing a six string using seven string or even eight string gauge strings? my guitar doesn't have any kind of tremolo system so other then tension and maybe having to file out the nut are there any problems i might run into?

anyone had any experience in re-stringing a six string using seven string or even eight string gauge strings? my guitar doesn't have any kind of tremolo system so other then tension and maybe having to file out the nut are there any problems i might run into?

Nut and saddles; tension is unlikely to be an issue since you'll be tuning down compared to the regular stringing. There are tension calculators so you can figure out a tuning that keeps the tension the same.

Nut and saddles; tension is unlikely to be an issue since you'll be tuning down compared to the regular stringing. There are tension calculators so you can figure out a tuning that keeps the tension the same.

good point! with the saddle/nut, if i start filing away is that going to do cause a big problem should i return to a more standard string gauge? i assume it'll cause more intonation problems and tuning stability, right? i haven't touched my guitar in ages and so i'm not really bothered about it being able to go back to perfection should i want to return to regular gauge/tuning.

good point! with the saddle/nut, if i start filing away is that going to do cause a big problem should i return to a more standard string gauge? i assume it'll cause more intonation problems and tuning stability, right?

Intonation problems if you don't do it right making them bigger; tuning problems (binding) if you don't do it enough. Going back and your action won't be where you expect it. I don't have a lot of experience here-- enlarged the slots on my twelve string to turn the octave third into a unison, and that's it.

Nekofrog

Banned
8phllQX.jpg

I have a problem

Pictured:

Ibanez K7 Firespeak blue 7 string (stock PAF 7s)
Ibanez SZ720 (DiMarzio D-Activator bridge, i don't remember whats in the neck)
Carvin DC800 8 string (stock pickups)
Ibanez something bass who cares
Carvin DC 600 (DiMarzio Super 3 bridge, Tone Zone neck)
Carvin Bolt (stock)
Carvin V3 head
Marshall 1960A cab stock
Not pictured: Line6 POD HD for recording

I normally play/record progressive/symphonic/orchestral rock/metal. Hear the DC600 in a work in progress for my Final Fantasy remix album:

http://tindeck.com/listen/awdq

I've never done a sludgy rock tone before, that's what I was going for there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nekofrog

Lots o' my stuff, including some completed FF remix album tunes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Picked up a butterscotch yellow Orville (Gibson's old MIJ brand) Les Paul. Got it for pretty cheap (a little under $400) so I'm making a few upgrades, but its got a cool 70s beater vibe. The frets are pretty worn and the board is kind of chewed up, but I'm hoping I can make by without a total refret (although if so, its not a huge deal).

The stock pickups are basically junk, so I got a set of DiMarzio PAF 36s, bridge in zebra and neck in double creme. The tuning machines seem a bit junky too, but I'll just throw some Gotoh's in if necessary. I picked up a replacement Gotoh bridge, but in the end a bit of Nevrdull on the stock bridge and tailpiece looked a lot better to me.

8phllQX.jpg

I have a problem

Pictured:

Ibanez K7 Firespeak blue 7 string (stock PAF 7s)
Ibanez SZ720 (DiMarzio D-Activator bridge, i don't remember whats in the neck)
Carvin DC800 8 string (stock pickups)
Ibanez something bass who cares
Carvin DC 600 (DiMarzio Super 3 bridge, Tone Zone neck)
Carvin Bolt (stock)
Carvin V3 head
Marshall 1960A cab stock
Not pictured: Line6 POD HD for recording

I normally play/record progressive/symphonic/orchestral rock/metal. Hear the DC600 in a work in progress for my Final Fantasy remix album:

http://tindeck.com/listen/awdq

I've never done a sludgy rock tone before, that's what I was going for there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nekofrog

Lots o' my stuff, including some completed FF remix album tunes

Nice man how are the Carvins? Are they custom shop or are they the pre-made "in stock" ones? I've been toying with the idea of getting a nice custom Carvin. Something I've always wanted to do at some point

Nobody got any cool gear for Christmas?

I'd been looking for a portable effects processor. I didn't really want the Line-6 Pocket Pod; I was interested in the Korg Pandora Mini, but they've been discontinued and I couldn't find one. Then I found the Mooer Pogo (also known as the Go-Fex in Europe, I think).

Six cabinet models: clean, overdrive, distortion, crunch, fuzz and metal. It has chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo, gain and tone knobs, and echo delay and reverb. 40 preset drum rhythms and aux-in to play to. 16 preset patches, but you can make 16 more. A tuner as well.

Not a bad little unit for $41. It took a few weeks to get here shipped from China. I already have a Behringer V-Amp 2, so I thought it was cool to get something that looked like a mini-version. It's not going to take the place of higher-end models or a pedal board, but for noodling around with headphones or practice, it's pretty neat.

Sigmaah

New player here, my main style I wanna play is metal, what guitar should I buy for that? 200-300 is my budget. I got a les Paul atm (a shitty one I think) it does the job but i dont like it lol.

I know I should learn all styles of music to play which I will but my main focus is metal.

Also, tips and tricks would be appreciated. The way I wanna go about learning is just playing, I don't wanna learn and do shit that makes guitar playing like homework. Help your boy out!

Silver Dunlop trigger capo. Already had two black ones and a Keyser one. Pretty stoked. Now have one capo per every three string instruments I own.

(Seriously, I fucking love capos)

New player here, my main style I wanna play is metal, what guitar should I buy for that? 200-300 is my budget.

Something pointy with a thin neck, low action, and tiny strings. Can't help you more since I like a Les Paul with a big strings.

I know I should learn all styles of music to play which I will but my main focus is metal. !

Play what you want. Except...

The way I wanna go about learning is just playing, I don't wanna learn and do shit that makes guitar playing like homework. Help your boy out!

... you do need to do some homework, sometimes. Like working on techniques needed to play the music you want to play. Here's the guitar-learning thread.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well, i bought myself quite some stuff in December:

- the Gigrig - G2
- Strymon Moebius
- Earth Quaker Devices - Hoof Reaper
- Massive amount of the new tight rope Lava cables (these, contrary to the standard lava cables, are a god send).

Sigmaah

Silver Dunlop trigger capo. Already had two black ones and a Keyser one. Pretty stoked. Now have one capo per every three string instruments I own.

(Seriously, I fucking love capos)

Something pointy with a thin neck, low action, and tiny strings. Can't help you more since I like a Les Paul with a big strings.

Play what you want. Except...

... you do need to do some homework, sometimes. Like working on techniques needed to play the music you want to play. Here's the guitar-learning thread.

Learning techniques the proper way is something I deff want to do right and I don't mind doing homework like that, I dunno how to properly explain what I meant by homework, but I don't wanna do it in the way that'll bore me is what I guess I meant. Thanks for the knowledge about what new guitar to pick up.

Learning techniques the proper way is something I deff want to do right and I don't mind doing homework like that, I dunno how to properly explain what I meant by homework, but I don't wanna do it in the way that'll bore me is what I guess I meant.

I took lessons when I was a kid and there were weeks where I had to do boring shit, but in hindsight it was good. You don't just have to play boring shit. Practice a thing, then play something fun.

Thanks for the knowledge about what new guitar to pick up.

I was mostly be facetious. In seriousness: go to a store and play guitars you think look cool and can afford. It's as good a metric as anything else when you don't know anything.

nynt9

Nice! Haven't tried a compound-scale before, but they always catch my eye when I see them being played (usually basses though).

In my opinion it makes playing a lot more comfortable, especially if you increase the amount of strings on a guitar which means that different scale lengths will be better for different strings.

Shadybiz

Picked this up after Christmas. I didn't have an acoustic, and wanted one to help with my finger toughness. Also I played my dad's acoustic a couple of weeks ago, and since 100% of my practice was on an electric, my playing on his acoustic was miserable, so I decided that I definitely need to improve on that.

Not too expensive, not too cheap, nice middle of the road. I think the sound that comes from this thing is pretty darn good: It's acoustic-electric, so I tried hooking up to the amp the other day, and that sounds great too. Not sure when I'll need that, but it's a nice feature to have.

I've never really been interested in Schecter before but I've just seen their 2015 models and holy SHIT is this one gorgeous :

banshee-elite-7-gnat-copy.png

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/banshee-elite/banshee-elite-7-detail

I want a 7-string guitar and this one has almost everything I'm looking for, with none of the ugly shit (e.g. abalone bindings and stuff) found on many Schecters. I hope this model will be sold in Europe and I can get enough money this year.
I actually think I may be buying one of the new Schecter basses this year too. This new Model T bass is being made in lefty and has many of the features I want from a bass to gig with. I know their quality has been up and down for a few years but the older Model T was well regarded. I can't wait to try one, even in righty just to get a feel for the tone and weight balance.

Top Bottom